Wild Weasel
Drifting

Received 294 Likes on 168 Posts

I feel vindicated. 😊
Old 03-22-2018, 08:46 AM
Wild Weasel
Drifting

Let me explain why I thought this would work and why I'm not surprised that it does.

Porsche has had rev-matching since, I believe, 2014. Maybe 2015. This works when you're off the throttle and, when to put the stick in some gear, the computer controls the throttle to put the revs where they need to be for that gear.

You can mess with the computer by picking different gears. It'll rev-match to whichever one you pick.

Now, this "no-lift" shifting is new, but the only way I imagine it working is that it takes over the throttle when you put the clutch in. It seems to me that it's exactly the same as the rev-matching feature except that it overrides the throttle when the pedal is down rather than just controlling it when you're not.

When it detects the clutch in, it takes over. It doesn't know what gear you're about to choose. Once you pick one, it sets the revs appropriately and when you let the clutch out it gives you back control of the throttle and goes to WOT since you've got the pedal down.

With that being the case, it shouldn't matter whether you're shifting up or down. It should set the revs appropriately, making the no-lift downshift to accelerate a perfectly reasonable thing for it to do.

It seems like a neat gimmick that's easy to implement given that they already had rev-matching figured out. I don't really see the value though since this one REALLY requires a change in how you drive and it's a change that would create a BAD habit if you ever get into another car that doesn't do it. For my part, I think I'll just carry on shifting like I always have and just use the rev-matching for when I'm trying to go faster and my heel-toe game isn't quite on point.
Old 03-22-2018, 10:33 AM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,708 Likes on 2,685 Posts

Originally Posted by Wild Weasel
I don't really see the value though since this one REALLY requires a change in how you drive and it's a change that would create a BAD habit if you ever get into another car that doesn't do it. For my part, I think I'll just carry on shifting like I always have and just use the rev-matching for when I'm trying to go faster and my heel-toe game isn't quite on point.
This is true of upshifting as well as downshifting - if you have another car without the automated feature (as I do with my 73 911), you can potentially develop muscle memory that could cause a problem in the other car...

Probably best to drive the car fully manually if this is an issue.
Old 03-22-2018, 10:47 AM
Wild Weasel
Drifting

Originally Posted by GrantG
This is true of upshifting as well as downshifting - if you have another car without the automated feature (as I do with my 73 911), you can potentially develop muscle memory that could cause a problem in the other car...

Probably best to drive the car fully manually if this is an issue.
There's been more than one out lap at Mosport where I dive into turn 5a and grab 2nd gear only to discover I forgot to hit the Sport Plus button and completely botch the shift.

The difference with the rev-matching though is that you're not doing something you should be doing. It's not really a problem. Just a "DOH!" moment when you realize that a thing you wanted to happen hasn't happened. With this no-lift shifting you're actually DOING something you otherwise shouldn't be and counting on the car to make it right. I guess the worst that will happen is that you pin the tach at the rev limiter... but still... that doesn't seem ideal.
Old 03-22-2018, 01:10 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,708 Likes on 2,685 Posts

Originally Posted by Wild Weasel
There's been more than one out lap at Mosport where I dive into turn 5a and grab 2nd gear only to discover I forgot to hit the Sport Plus button and completely botch the shift.

The difference with the rev-matching though is that you're not doing something you should be doing. It's not really a problem. Just a "DOH!" moment when you realize that a thing you wanted to happen hasn't happened.
Well, if you're not using the Rev-Match (because you forgot to press Sport or driving a car without the feature) and don't do it yourself going into a corner, this can cause a spin (so some risk of a real problem, aside from just the additional wear on the car if done repeatedly). Less likely to happen if the car in question has ESC and it's active.

I watched a buddy spin his E36 BMW M3 many times into a slow corner, before I explained to him the necessity to match revs on downshifts. Was his first track outing.
Old 03-22-2018, 01:31 PM
Wild Weasel
Drifting

Originally Posted by GrantG
Well, if you're not using the Rev-Match (because you forgot to press Sport or driving a car without the feature) and don't do it yourself going into a corner, this can cause a spin (so some risk of a real problem, aside from just the additional wear on the car if done repeatedly). Less likely to happen if the car in question has ESC and it's active.

I watched a buddy spin his E36 BMW M3 many times into a slow corner, before I explained to him the necessity to match revs on downshifts. Was his first track outing.
Yeah, if you drop the clutch anyway then you can definitely lock up the rear wheels and spin and it's definitely not good for the car. The few times I did it, I didn't drop the clutch. I gave up on making the quick shift, finished my braking, and then rev-matched it myself and continued. Since it's my first downshift on an out lap it's not as though it was an aggressive maneuver.
Old 04-23-2018, 12:04 PM
Tkirk
7th Gear

Received 21 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Power delay

Thanks for the posts about not lifting the throttle when upshifting. I was wondering why there was a power delay when I upshift in the “normal” fashion at higher rpms. Kinda like a turbo lag. What I think is happening is I am cutting the gas (with the gas pedal) and the computer is also cutting the gas (with the clutch pedal). This redundancy is causing a slight delay to the power coming back on when the throttle is re-opened. Only happens at higher rpm shifts. No-lift unshifting should fix this.
Old 04-23-2018, 07:56 PM
laranja
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
This is what happens when you don't use no-lift shift.

You go pick up your 93 year old grandmother in milan for lunch during European Delivery. Of course being the badass that she is (she personally bitch-slapped mussolini while he was hanging upside down let's not forget ) she asks to sample launch control. Having completed 1700km of careful break-in procedure, I feel comfortable honoring my grandmothers request to pop the gt3's cherry. It's raining hard outside so I chicken out a bit and don't quite flat-shift. As you can tell from the video she's deeply disappointed and says "no no no no no... stop stop stop enough".. she then proceeds to call her grandson a complete pu$$y for not holding my foot down completely. Lesson learned, lesson learned!!!! Sorry grandma... we'll go faster next time.

https://youtu.be/eV0nOGQd0HY

Hilarious!

A lot like this video of Riccardo Patrese not going fast enough for his wife...

Old 04-23-2018, 08:26 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,383 Likes on 719 Posts

I have tried no lift shifts on numerous occasions and it just messes with me big time.

It just feels so awkward and tough for me to mentally adjust
Old 04-23-2018, 08:28 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,423 Likes on 2,237 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D
I have tried no lift shifts on numerous occasions and it just messes with me big time.

+1 its hard to overcome years of "muscle memory"....
Old 04-23-2018, 08:44 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D

Are you one of those "can't pat your head and rub your belly at the same time" people?
Old 04-23-2018, 08:51 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,383 Likes on 719 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
Are you one of those "can't pat your head and rub your belly at the same time" people?
Funny but not far from the truth
Old 05-26-2019, 10:20 AM
Brian Himmelman
Burning Brakes

Received 276 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by LSs1Power

You dont need Sport button to do powershifts. https://youtu.be/aU8LgxczyoY
where can I get this cool software? Thanks
Old 06-06-2019, 01:21 PM
Will Motivation
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 32 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by LSs1Power

If Sport button is not selected, electronics will not interfere with your shifting either up or down. With Sport button selected, rev matching is active on down shifts and some weird feeling on up shifts to land the RPM just right with engine speed for smoother feeling. I personally dont like Sport button on track. I only use it in traffic when I’m driving slowly and heel and toe action is just too aggressive for slow street driving (i noticed when you blip the throttle on down shifts, it also overrides Sport commands if its active).
I do exactly the same thing as this here... I have not tried the no lift shift yet but sport mode on manual is good for street use but I would not use it on the track because it also reduces some of the engine braking that you might leverage when releasing the clutch on a downshift into a turn for example...
Old 06-06-2019, 01:29 PM
richardbf
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 129 Posts

When I started this thread I didn't own a 991.2 gt3. I had a gt4. In the gt4 I always used the rev match. I had some difficulty getting it just right on the street and on track it's a no brainer for me. One less thing to do and I can focus on my line and braking. HOWEVER on my GT3 I never use it on the street. For some reason I feel it's much easier to rev match in this car. Maybe it has to do with the wider engine rev range (I have zero clue) but I can do it perfectly and smoothly every time. And it sounds better lol. So on the street it's no aids. On the track or smokies mountain runs it's on though. Keeping up with Ryan R and Andy P is hard enough lol

Quick Reply: No lift shift in MT 991.2 GT3