991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Because PDK: Some observations after a roll race

Old 03-12-2018, 01:34 AM
-eztrader-
Rennlist Member

Received 250 Likes on 136 Posts

I read this whole chat - and still not sure what people are trying to figure out.
Old 03-12-2018, 01:36 AM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,772 Likes on 1,020 Posts

Originally Posted by SCCAForums
Agreed, if you're buying these cars for 'value'... there are far better financial choices. Just great to be able to enjoy them while we can!

Best Regards,
Dave
No kidding, Dave!
Old 03-12-2018, 01:40 AM
robmypro
Race Director

Originally Posted by drdonger

No way in hell the GT4 came close to a .2 GT3 manual. Especially from a roll. I have owned both cars. The .2 GT3 has a ton more torque and hp. Just took the GT3 to the track this weekend and it is faster in every way by a large margin. The .2 GT3 manual is faster than a .1 GT3 and probably .1 RS. The manual .2 GT3 have been dynoing over 100 rwhp more than a GT4. There is a video of a manual GT3 beating a Turbo S. My manual GT4 was dead even with a 991.1 Carrera S. A Turbo would leave the GT4 in the dust. The GT4 is a great car and handles realpy well, but straigjt line speed is not its strong suit.
The GT4 was modded. Headers, tune and maybe some other stuff.
Old 03-12-2018, 02:08 AM
Dewinator
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by robmypro
Exactly. I don’t care what a car might be worth in 15 years. The true value comes from driving it.
Sure ...but manuals are more fun to drive in addition to having higher resale down the road. Win-win.
Old 03-12-2018, 02:52 AM
Bardman
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

From Evo...

Porsche quotes a 0-62mph time of 3.4 seconds and 197mph flat out for the PDK version, and 3.9 seconds and 198mph for the manual.

The .1 GT3 was quoted at 3.5 seconds by Porsche. I guess i am not sure why Porsche says this? There is a half second difference between the .2 PDK and .2 MT from 0-60. That is pretty significant imo. The .2 PDK is .1 second quicker than the .1 per Porsche. I guess i don’t see why it is such a stretch to think the .1 will be faster than the .2 manual? Even Porsche says it is true.

Not trying to start a controversy, but Porsche’ own estimates have the .1 GT3 about .4 seconds quicker than the .2 MT, and we just did a roll race that essentially confirms that there is a gap. We’ll do another test under controlled circumstances, so maybe things will change, but i don’t see why the results would be that different. Porsche themselves says the .1 is faster. From a dead stop the PDK has an even greater advantage. The .1 should walk away from the .2 manual if Porsche estimates are correct.

As I had posted earlier, 0-60 times favour PDK because of launch control. Launch control gives you the perfect launch - perfect revs, perfect clutch disengagement, perfect application of throttle. This is your .5 seconds. Rolling starts take this advantage away.
Old 03-12-2018, 04:16 AM
gago1101
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

So here is an older video showing how a MK I Turbo S is pulling on a .1 GT3 RS from a rolling start. SCCAForum's video clearly demonstrated that .2 GT3 MT was even with the MK II Turbo S. Standstill start is one thing, but I do not believe .1 GT3 will stands a chance against the .2 in a rolling start. I can't wait to see, and hope someone does it, but think the .2 GT3 may pull away against the .1 RS from a rolling start.

Last edited by gago1101; 03-12-2018 at 04:33 AM.
Old 03-12-2018, 10:54 AM
robmypro
Race Director

Originally Posted by Dewinator
Sure ...but manuals are more fun to drive in addition to having higher resale down the road. Win-win.
Some people find them more fun to drive, but this is not a fact. Just personal preference. Resale value down the road is unknown. But if you like your car...

Originally Posted by Bardman
As I had posted earlier, 0-60 times favour PDK because of launch control. Launch control gives you the perfect launch - perfect revs, perfect clutch disengagement, perfect application of throttle. This is your .5 seconds. Rolling starts take this advantage away.
I have no idea how much of that 0-60 gap was LC. All i know is what i saw. Again, not definitive. Just one data point that obviously doesn’t fit a narrative.

Originally Posted by gago1101
So here is an older video showing how a MK I Turbo S is pulling on a .1 GT3 RS from a rolling start. SCCAForum's video clearly demonstrated that .2 GT3 MT was even with the MK II Turbo S. Standstill start is one thing, but I do not believe .1 GT3 will stands a chance against the .2 in a rolling start. I can't wait to see, and hope someone does it, but think the .2 GT3 may pull away against the .1 RS from a rolling start.

https://youtu.be/ZAa22Fq1wNo
Huge variables in both scenarios. Engines have power bands. In this case they are both different. The speed at which the race starts plays a big part. One engine might be right in the power band while the other might be a bit low or high. The existence of those videos does not negate my own eyes.

Assuming the .2 MT should walk away from the .1, what might explain the results we saw? Driver? Seriously doubt it. The start speed? It is possible that these higher start speeds favored the PDK, but we tried different start speeds with same result. Maybe my engine is good and loose? Yeah, maybe. It is possible. Could my Sharkwerks exhaust have helped? I would be surprised. What about altitude? No idea. Gearing of the PDK? There is a slight advantage there.

Why we got these results is the question. Unfortunately the drag strip won’t answer all the questions either, since the PDK will once again have the advantage, due to LC. I guess it is possible that GT4 practically ties .2 GT3, .1 GT3 walks away from GT4, and yet somehow the .2 GT3 then walks away from .1 GT3. But logic would dictate a different result.

Maybe someone else can try to reproduce our results?

Old 03-12-2018, 11:28 AM
Dewinator
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Some people find them more fun to drive, but this is not a fact. Just personal preference. Resale value down the road is unknown. But if you like your car...
Very true, lots of people today in the “have it now” generation aren't interested in spending time learning how to squeeze the performance out of the car, they just want to jump in the first time and be Ricky Bobby so they need the PDK.
Old 03-12-2018, 03:49 PM
Psup4s
Burning Brakes

Received 122 Likes on 66 Posts

Rob, you are not making many friends around here brotha lol. You are still our .1 Hero
Old 03-12-2018, 04:00 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Originally Posted by Psup4s
Rob, you are not making many friends around here brotha lol. You are still our .1 Hero
Nice to know I still have fans! lol

BTW, wait until I get headers. This place is going to come unhinged lol.
Old 03-12-2018, 04:04 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Dewinator

Very true, lots of people today in the “have it now” generation aren't interested in spending time learning how to squeeze the performance out of the car, they just want to jump in the first time and be Ricky Bobby so they need the PDK.
And other people have driven MT's for decades, are proficient with them and don't "need" a PDK gearbox yet think that it is a better match for the 991 variant of the GT3 than a manual. You may try to paint everyone who prefers PDK in this application as "Rick Bobby", but it's an inaccurate characterization. Peace out.
Old 03-12-2018, 04:06 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
And other people have driven MT's for decades, are proficient with them and don't "need" a PDK gearbox yet think that it is a better match for the 991 variant of the GT3 than a manual. You may try to paint everyone who prefers PDK in this application as "Rick Bobby", but it's an inaccurate characterization. Peace out.
I didn't feel the need to respond to a comment like that, so thanks for taking up the slack, Mike. lol
Old 03-12-2018, 04:09 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

I didn't feel the need to respond to a comment like that, so thanks for taking up the slack, Mike. lol
Old 03-12-2018, 04:19 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by Bardman
There are a few things mixed up here:
  • US mags test 0-60 from a small roll
  • You are comparing tested Vs. rated
  • 0-60 performance for PDK is mostly about the launch, which is not relevant from a roll

Actually, to the best of my knowledge R&T tests from a standing start. C&D tests from both a standing start and a rolling start (5mph) and publishes separate times for each.
Old 03-12-2018, 05:10 PM
Psup4s
Burning Brakes

Received 122 Likes on 66 Posts

Nice to know I still have fans! lol

BTW, wait until I get headers. This place is going to come unhinged lol.
BFFs best fans forever lol
Can't wait to hear your headers impressions as I might be going that direction as well. At a fraction of the price of a .2 manual

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Because PDK: Some observations after a roll race