Sponsored by:

Because PDK: Some observations after a roll race

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2018, 10:34 PM
Bardman
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by robmypro

If we talk about rated, both are rated at 3.5 seconds 0-60. So you would not expect the .2 manual to be quicker. Also, 7 gears to 6 shoukd be an advantage. And finally, we are not talking about “on paper.” These are actual results. Don’t shoot the messenger!
When the data from an experiment don’t add up or are inconsistent with other results the good scientist checks their experiment method and doesn’t first suggest everyone else is doing it wrong.
Old 03-11-2018, 10:37 PM
JLG
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

You are making a career out of baiting .2 GT3 owners aren't you?
Old 03-11-2018, 10:46 PM
GT3
Three Wheelin'

Received 208 Likes on 106 Posts

. Each time my .1 PDK GT3 pulled away. Of course this isn’t scientific, but our assumption is that the .1 PDK GT3 will walk away from the .2 Manual, at least from 60 mph up until 117 mph. Don’t ask me how i know that.
You know what they say about making assumptions, right?
Old 03-11-2018, 10:51 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,772 Likes on 1,020 Posts

Originally Posted by Petevb

I think time will prove that statement quite inaccurate, and quite a stretch from thin data. Porsche quotes identical 100-200 kph times for the PDK and manual in the .2, and they state they are very even in their own roll-on testing. Either Porsche’s times are incorrect or the .1’s going to get dropped from a roll through that speed range.

Keep in mind that in addition to the 25 hp the .2 manual gets a weight advantage and lower frictional losses through the gearbox. That’s a 5.3% power advantage, 1.2% weight advantage and ~1% more power making it to the ground due too lower driveline losses. The latter two are likely what allow the manual to run with the PDK from a roll in Porsche’s testing despite both the slower shifting and gearing disadvantage. I suspect as we get more broken in cars into owners hands we’ll get plenty of .1 vs .2 runs to compare that will disprove your assertion above. The .1 will pull on the launch due to launch control, but how often are you launching?
You could be right, Pete. I am only sharing what i witnessed. Like i said, we will try to get all the cars to Bandimere to do a proper drag race, but as of right now i am going with my own eyes. One thing which could be a factor is a fully broken in .1 vs a still relatively new .2. Not sure how much that factors in, and it could explain some of this, but just sharing info. Honestly, i wasn’t expecting the MT to be faster than the .1 PDK, but i would have expected a close race.

We’ll try to get a head to head to confirm.

Originally Posted by Bardman
When the data from an experiment don’t add up or are inconsistent with other results the good scientist checks their experiment method and doesn’t first suggest everyone else is doing it wrong.
I am not a scientist. . And, i did say we would try to follow it up by going to our local drag strip. That will be the confirmation. This is one result. One data point.

Originally Posted by JLG
You are making a career out of baiting .2 GT3 owners aren't you?
Oh come on, i haven’t posted anything controversial about these cars. lol. People know i wouldn’t BS anyone here. The results are the results. The “why” is what is missing. I tend to think PDK > MT (speed wise), considering gearing, but there could be other reasons. Not opposed to considering them.

Just sharing a data point. More data to come hopefully.
Old 03-11-2018, 10:52 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Originally Posted by GT3
You know what they say about making assumptions, right?
Uh, yeah.

Just sharing some info with the group.

Old 03-11-2018, 10:58 PM
Akunob
Rennlist Member

Received 896 Likes on 569 Posts

Ultimately, a .1 GT3 with PDK is going to walk away from the .2 GT3 with manual on track or on the street. The extra 25 HP from the .2 and improved torque curve will not be enough to mitigate the PDK with better gearing.
As much as I would like to buy into this, I’m skeptical. The delta between the .2 PDK and 6MT isn’t that much (especially from a roll) as evidenced by tested lap times within 1sec of each other. To think that a .1 PDK walks away from a .2 MT is hard to reconcile. I suspect the drivers of each car (.2 GT3 and modded GT4) played a bigger factor in the test than you realize. I’ll reserve judgment until further real world results emerge...
Old 03-11-2018, 11:14 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 41 Likes on 6 Posts

Akunob wrote
As much as I would like to buy into this, I’m skeptical. The delta between the .2 PDK and 6MT isn’t that much (especially from a roll) as evidenced by tested lap times within 1sec of each other. To think that a .1 PDK walks away from a .2 MT is hard to reconcile. I suspect the drivers of each car (.2 GT3 and modded GT4) played a bigger factor in the test than you realize. I’ll reserve judgment until further real world results emerge...
Especially when you consider Porsche put in the speed shift feature and the rev match, effectively taking out any proficiency with the MT. You can basically shift the Manual just like a PDK at full RPM without lifting. The Manual is almost as automated as the PDK.
Old 03-11-2018, 11:17 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Originally Posted by Akunob
I hear you, but i think lap times are far more variable than mashing the pedal in a straight line. But hard to say! This was one data point. Results might be different from a dead stop. Or maybe when the .2 gets more miles on it. As soon as we can do more tests i will post the info. This time we will get it on video.

I know this goes against the narrative but what can i say. And the interesting thing is i was dead even with the RS. too. Maybe it is my loose “high mileage” GT3.
Old 03-11-2018, 11:31 PM
Dewinator
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Manual GT3 owners are actually investing that few tenths per lap and that’s why their cars will be worth 30% more than the PDK in 15 years.
Old 03-11-2018, 11:38 PM
SCCAForums
Pro

Received 79 Likes on 39 Posts

1st gear hit, 35 mph roll, no.1 gt3 will hang with a properly driven .2 MT gt3, the above video proves that.

Best Regards,
Dave
Old 03-12-2018, 12:30 AM
abiazis
Rennlist Member

Received 706 Likes on 515 Posts

Interesting previous comment on manual cars being 30% more in value in 15 years...winged PDK versus winged Manual or winged PDK versus touring Manual ? Will be interesting to watch....hopefully people that can afford these cars are not millennials who mostly will be into self driving cars by then and don't know how to drive a manual...LOL...touring cars might be the ones to hold value best since they seem to only be less than 10% of production base on Rennlist posts....but primary goal of a GT3 is to drive it and enjoy!! You can't take it with you.......
Old 03-12-2018, 12:46 AM
robmypro
Race Director

Originally Posted by abiazis
....but primary goal of a GT3 is to drive it and enjoy!! You can't take it with you.......
Exactly. I don’t care what a car might be worth in 15 years. The true value comes from driving it.
Old 03-12-2018, 01:14 AM
SCCAForums
Pro

Received 79 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by abiazis
Interesting previous comment on manual cars being 30% more in value in 15 years...winged PDK versus winged Manual or winged PDK versus touring Manual...but primary goal of a GT3 is to drive it and enjoy!! You can't take it with you.......
Exactly. I don’t care what a car might be worth in 15 years. The true value comes from driving it.
Agreed, if you're buying these cars for 'value'... there are far better financial choices. Just great to be able to enjoy them while we can!

Best Regards,
Dave
Old 03-12-2018, 01:24 AM
robmypro
Race Director

From Evo...

Porsche quotes a 0-62mph time of 3.4 seconds and 197mph flat out for the PDK version, and 3.9 seconds and 198mph for the manual.

The .1 GT3 was quoted at 3.5 seconds by Porsche. I guess i am not sure why Porsche says this? There is a half second difference between the .2 PDK and .2 MT from 0-60. That is pretty significant imo. The .2 PDK is .1 second quicker than the .1 per Porsche. I guess i don’t see why it is such a stretch to think the .1 will be faster than the .2 manual? Even Porsche says it is true.

Not trying to start a controversy, but Porsche’ own estimates have the .1 GT3 about .4 seconds quicker than the .2 MT, and we just did a roll race that essentially confirms that there is a gap. We’ll do another test under controlled circumstances, so maybe things will change, but i don’t see why the results would be that different. Porsche themselves says the .1 is faster. From a dead stop the PDK has an even greater advantage. The .1 should walk away from the .2 manual if Porsche estimates are correct.

One thing i did run across was a difference in the final drive ratio. The .1 PDK is 3.97 while the .2 MT is 3.75. That should give a gearing advantage to the PDK.

Not sure guys. Just reporting the result.

Old 03-12-2018, 01:28 AM
drdonger
Three Wheelin'

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

No way in hell the GT4 came close to a .2 GT3 manual. Especially from a roll. I have owned both cars. The .2 GT3 has a ton more torque and hp. Just took the GT3 to the track this weekend and it is faster in every way by a large margin. The .2 GT3 manual is faster than a .1 GT3 and probably .1 RS. The manual .2 GT3 have been dynoing over 100 rwhp more than a GT4. There is a video of a manual GT3 beating a Turbo S. My manual GT4 was dead even with a 991.1 Carrera S. A Turbo would leave the GT4 in the dust. The GT4 is a great car and handles realpy well, but straigjt line speed is not its strong suit.

Quick Reply: Because PDK: Some observations after a roll race