Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How much NA power is technically possible from a flat six?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2018, 08:16 PM
GT3
Three Wheelin'

Received 208 Likes on 106 Posts

I wish Porsche could have brought back the flat 8 at some point....

Old 03-12-2018, 09:34 PM
Guest89
Drifting

Received 197 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
I think in GTD/GT3 it's 4.4 Fi limit and 7/8L NA
4.4 FI would have the BMW M6 right on the limit; the M8 GTE has a 4.0L engine so now it actually conforms to GTE/GTLM rules

I spent a few minutes talking to Atherton on Saturday at Amelia but forgot to bring up the farcical M6 GTLM car

On a related note, Porsche needs a signal victory for the new RSR - hopefully Sebring and Le Mans this year. Otherwise ...
Old 03-13-2018, 03:06 AM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,148 Likes on 566 Posts

Originally Posted by FourT6and2
Realistically, 500-600hp is enough for my ego—but with the torque to match. The GT3/RS are damn near perfect. But all else being the same, imagine what these cars would be like with 450 lb/ft...
Apologies for stating the obvious, but there is a very rigid relationship between torque, revs and power. It's like how tall your glass is, how wide it is and how much water fits in it. So, for example, a 9K rpm engine with 300lbs/ft of torque is the SAME as 6K RPM engine with 450lbs/ft of torque in every way because you can get from one to another with just a 1.5 reduction gear. And if GT3 were making 450lbs/ft in the working range (6.5K-9K) while still revving to 9K, it would have made way more than 500HP.
Old 03-13-2018, 03:15 AM
FourT6and2
Drifting

Received 652 Likes on 376 Posts

Originally Posted by MaxLTV
Apologies for stating the obvious, but there is a very rigid relationship between torque, revs and power. It's like how tall your glass is, how wide it is and how much water fits in it. So, for example, a 9K rpm engine with 300lbs/ft of torque is the SAME as 6K RPM engine with 450lbs/ft of torque in every way because you can get from one to another with just a 1.5 reduction gear. And if GT3 were making 450lbs/ft in the working range (6.5K-9K) while still revving to 9K, it would have made way more than 500HP.
If the new RS is capable of 600BHP without all the emissions bottlenecks (as stated in the Geneva interview vid), what might the torque be estimated at?

Or is ~340 really the max, given the formulas posted earlier?
Old 03-13-2018, 09:40 AM
RRDnA
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

HP = Torque x RPM ÷ 5252........or

TORQUE = HP x 5252 ÷ RPM
Old 03-13-2018, 09:42 AM
RRDnA
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Guest89
On a related note, Porsche needs a signal victory for the new RSR - hopefully Sebring and Le Mans this year. Otherwise ...
Well the answer has been out there a long time - time to change the guard
Old 03-13-2018, 12:55 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,720 Likes on 2,691 Posts

Originally Posted by FourT6and2
If the new RS is capable of 600BHP without all the emissions bottlenecks (as stated in the Geneva interview vid), what might the torque be estimated at?

Or is ~340 really the max, given the formulas posted earlier?
Yes, even at 600 hp (at some stratospheric rpm) the torque would still be basically the same. It's a limitation of the compression ratio and the energy yielded from the pump fuel. No way to get much more torque from NA 4.0L without some fundamental improvement in engine technology that allows much higher compression or some new rocket fuel...

But with much higher revs, that gives you the ability to lower the gearing more which in turn improves the torque to the ground (gearing acts as a torque multiplier). This is one of the reasons that the NA 4.0L in the GT3/RS pulls as hard as some much larger and torquier motors that don't rev as high.
Old 03-13-2018, 01:17 PM
Guest89
Drifting

Received 197 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by RRDnA
Well the answer has been out there a long time - time to change the guard
It's a BOP class; Frank just needs to lobby better
Old 03-13-2018, 04:10 PM
juanpablo046
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

Andreas Preuninger says they have +600hp 4.0 liters engine with racing setup, check this interview:

Old 03-13-2018, 07:19 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,725 Likes on 914 Posts

Originally Posted by Petevb
Meanwhile the rest of the time I felt like a shark stuck in a fishbowl- give me a Boxster Spyder 9 days out of 10. So I'm largely past wanting "more" for its own sake, and I suspect that as it becomes more accessible others will come to the same conclusion. Sure there will always be some who're playing a clubhouse game of Top Trumps and others who are chasing lap times, but for the rest of us extreme experiences can be had with much less power than is already fairly easy to buy.
4.0L GT3 motor in 2,500lb Boxster Spyder = nirvana
Old 03-17-2018, 09:44 AM
Petevb
Rennlist Member

Received 704 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by RRDnA
PeteVB -I don't have anymore of the new GT3
How about a GT4 instead to illustrate the point - losses are not a constant percentage and are non - linear (even though they can look linear on poorly scaled plot)

Note that at 6000RPM the losses for both the GT3 and GT4 are about 60HP. From around 7500RPM the GT3 losses start to build and accelerate in a visibly non-linear fashion.
Keep in mind that every one of the graphs you posted has inaccurate losses, as even the best chassis dynos inaccurately report friction losses due to a number of factors.

Take a look at this graph (generated on a maha) and it becomes clear that the increasing friction being measured has far more to do with road speed than RPM. You can clearly see that in 2nd gear increasing revs has no effect on friction, though at high speeds it looks like it does. Basically whichever car is going slower (dyno speed) will produce “lower losses”, so typical dyno practice of using whichever gear is closest to 1:1 will increase speeds and hence disadvantage whichever car revs high. This is why when I dynoed my car (on a hub mounted dynopack, better for this purpose than a maha) the race team operators made it clear that the loss calculated friction measurements were only relatively (same gear, same car) rather than absolutely useful.

Other reasons driveline losses must be viewed with skepticism: estimates are generally made using a “coast down” tests. Take the engine up to max rpm, clutch in then measure how the transmission brakes the already spinning wheels/ drum. Unfortunately many variables are different in this situation. Chief among them for the speed related results above is aero drag, but clutch drag, the gears being loaded in reverse (important because Porsche uses hypoid gears, which are directional and have different losses in one direction vs the other) and other factors are both important and different than on the road.

Back to the point and repeating, there is nothing inherent in higher rpm engines that means well designed gearboxes will have higher losses, and the many dynos like this give the lie to the idea that power to the wheels on GT3s is inherently falling off due to climbing friction.

Last edited by Petevb; 03-17-2018 at 02:32 PM.
Old 03-17-2018, 09:48 AM
Petevb
Rennlist Member

Received 704 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by Guest89
I'm not sure the bolded statement is true:

Cup Car = Porsche spec series; can run whatever they want to
GT3 R = GT3; naturally aspirated engine displacement in excess of 4.0L allowed (witness Mercedes NA 6.2L V8, Audi 5.2L V10, etc.)
911 RSR = GTE; forced induction up to 4.0L; naturally aspirated up to 5.5L (Corvette)
At the time the RS 4.0 was created the formulas were different, with restrictor size depending on displacement and sub 4.000 being an important factor. Now with BOP it really doesn’t matter much.

Quick Reply: How much NA power is technically possible from a flat six?