Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How much NA power is technically possible from a flat six?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2018, 05:23 PM
Petevb
Rennlist Member

Received 704 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
The metallurgy is the issue.
Agree, see above, though it's not an issue with the block...
Old 03-11-2018, 06:36 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,721 Likes on 2,691 Posts

Originally Posted by FourT6and2
I'm cool with 500 hp at the wheels. What I'd love to see in these cars is more torque. 400 lb-ft would be great.
Getting 400 ft-lbs in a NA Flat-6 would be very difficult without lowering redline and horsepower.

With a limit around 85 ft-lbs per Liter with current technology and pump fuel, you’d need
4.7 Liters, each cylinder would be 785cc, making it physically difficult with bore and stroke limitations of the engine architecture as well as very difficult to spin a motor with those dimensions to reasonable rpms needed for good power.

Flat-8 or forced induction or hybrid are better alternatives for that much or more torque...
Old 03-11-2018, 07:03 PM
gago1101
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Petevb
I know that many here are hoping that revs will continue to march ever upwards, but there there are some good reasons 10k rpm isn't going to happen with the current package.

Unlike anything to do with electronics (which have enabled efficiency improvements due to EFI, direct injection, variable cam timing, etc) metallurgy is a slowly evolving field.

Consider: that during the WW2 arms race piston engines pushed the state of the art like never before. One of the most impressive want the German Jumo 213 in the ME-190. In its most extreme variants it turned 3,700 rpm. Compared to pre-restriction F1 V8s and V10s which could turn 20,000 RPM in qualifying trim you'd think they were from different planets. However if you compare mean piston speed, which is a crude way to estimate the stress on the crank, rods and pistons due to G forces, you'll find a very different picture:

Jumo 213: 165mm stroke x 3,700 rpm = 20.4 m/s
Formula 1 V8: 39.8 x 20,000 rpm = 26.5 m/s

So by that measure piston speeds climbed by less than .5% per year, and while this is an imperfect comparison it does illustrate how difficult increasing piston speed is. Look at high performance production cars and motorcycles and you'll see revs all over the map. Piston speeds, on the other hand, are tightly clustered:

BMW S1000RR: 14,200 rpm, 23.6 m/s
2012 Z06 Corvette: 7,000 rpm, 23.7 m/s
2018 GT3: 9,000 rpm: 24.5 m/s
Honda S2000: 8,800 rpm, 24.6 m/s
Lexus LFA: 9,500 rpm, 25 m/s
2017 Audi R8: 8,700 rpm, 26.9 m/s (current production car record)

Compared to the Audi it would look like Porsche has considerable room to improve, however the flaw with piston speed is that it doesn't take the size of the pistons into account (a problem as a larger bore results in a heavier piston and hence more stress). "Corrected piston speed" uses bore and stroke to attempt to take that into consideration, and by that measure it goes:

2012 Z06 Corvette: 24.1
Honda S2000: 25.1
2017 Audi R8: 25.7
Lexus LFA: 26.4
2018 GT3: 27.4 (current production car record)

So at 9,000 RPM Porsche has set the high water mark. To get to 10k without reducing stroke piston speed would need to exceed F1 while corrected piston speed would be 15% beyond the nearest street car competition. I believe it could be easily achieved by giving up on longevity (as the RSRs and bikes do) and simultaneously throwing $$ at the issue (as F1 does). At the reliability/ price point Porsche is at, however, I don't see Porsche getting there in the next decade plus (and that's assuming they were trying). Even cost-no-object projects like the 918 can't significantly improve in this area because the metallurgy simply isn't available.

If you're willing to change the current package, on the other hand, they could be at 10k rpm tomorrow. Use a short 67.5mm crank stroke in the current GT3's engine and you'd be at 10k rpm from 3.3 liters with no technical development needed, so if you're just looking for the headline number there are clear paths.
Love reading your posts and technical analysis. Thank you!
Old 03-11-2018, 08:04 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

...on the other hand, they could be at 10k rpm tomorrow. Use a short 67.5mm crank stroke in the current GT3's engine and you'd be at 10k rpm from 3.3 liters with no technical development needed, so if you're just looking for the headline number there are clear paths.
That would make an awesome motor for a lightweight model - something like GT4 or a little lighter. Should give ~440hp (with less torque than current GT4, but would allow very low gearing) and sound amazing...
Old 03-11-2018, 08:15 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,954 Likes on 555 Posts

Agree, see above, though it's not an issue with the block...
Engine design/ block / pistons semantics while typing on Iphone my apologies

Project 1 from benz will need rebuild at 20-30,000 Miles. Sounds fun. Nobody wants that in a Gt3 is both of our points
Old 03-11-2018, 08:20 PM
ms550
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What CJ says. You crank these animals up and they tear themselves down.
Old 03-11-2018, 08:33 PM
FourT6and2
Drifting

Received 652 Likes on 376 Posts

Originally Posted by GrantG

Getting 400 ft-lbs in a NA Flat-6 would be very difficult without lowering redline and horsepower.

With a limit around 85 ft-lbs per Liter with current technology and pump fuel, you’d need
4.7 Liters, each cylinder would be 785cc, making it physically difficult with bore and stroke limitations of the engine architecture as well as very difficult to spin a motor with those dimensions to reasonable rpms needed for good power.

Flat-8 or forced induction or hybrid are better alternatives for that much or more torque...
I'm not exactly married to the idea of a high-revving NA engine. On the surface it sounds cool to brag that hey my car revs to 9K. But... honest question: What benefit is there to an engine that revs to 9K but puts down less power and torque than a similar engine that revs a bit lower, but puts out more power/torque? Assuming all the gearing in the drivetrain is set up to match each respective setup.
Old 03-11-2018, 08:35 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

I'm not exactly married to the idea of a high-revving NA engine. On the surface it sounds cool to brag that hey my car revs to 9K. But... honest question: What benefit is there to an engine that revs to 9K but puts down less power and torque than a similar engine that revs a bit lower, but puts out more power/torque? Assuming all the gearing in the drivetrain is set up to match each respective setup.
Sounds like you’re a candidate for a turbocharged motor or a car that can fit a motor with more than 6 cylinders...
Old 03-11-2018, 08:46 PM
96redLT4
Rennlist Member

Received 280 Likes on 159 Posts

I'm cool with 500 hp at the wheels. What I'd love to see in these cars is more torque. 400 lb-ft would be great.
That is another great question for you Pete. Is it possible to crank up torque without much more hp. I remember reading somewhere that the 500 hp GT3 motor only has a little more torque than my 430hp GTS. Turbo is the obvious solution but we are still talking normal aspiration.

J
Old 03-11-2018, 08:49 PM
FourT6and2
Drifting

Originally Posted by GrantG

Sounds like you’re a candidate for a turbocharged motor or a car that can fit a motor with more than 6 cylinders...
I'd be ok with it. I'm not complaining about the GT3. Don't get me wrong. I switched from a car with more low-end torque to the GT3. But I figure as long as we are all speculating and engaged in wishful thinking, why not wish for more power/torque I'd take a GT2RS if I could afford one (and get an allocation lol).

A lot of people are die-hard NA, high-revving engine fanatics. That's cool and all. I like the GT3 enough to have bought one. But I'm not one of the guys who folds his arms and says "9K NA or bust!" Many here worry that this or that car will be the last NA version. Ok, well look... if the car is powered by a drunk ferret on a treadmill I really don't care as long as it's fun to drive and performs where it matters. So yeah, if the 992 winds up being turbo, I'm ok with it. I'm sure the car will be awesome either way.
Old 03-11-2018, 09:20 PM
Petevb
Rennlist Member

I'd be ok with it. I'm not complaining about the GT3. Don't get me wrong. I switched from a car with more low-end torque to the GT3. But I figure as long as we are all speculating and engaged in wishful thinking, why not wish for more power/torque
I've said for some time- I think we're in the twilight of the "more" era. Power and torque have been the easy part for some time, and are only getting more so. We're discussing squeaking out another 50 hp in the face of 707 hp Hellcats, "ludicrous mode" and cars like the Rimac C 2: ~1,900 hp and the ability to spin all four at will (software allowing) into triple digits. The truth is that in a few years 1000 hp simply won't be that expensive, which will force you to ask: do you really still want "more"?

In my experience the 900 hp in a 918 is a pretty great party trick. Unfortunately you really to be at the right party to use it, and I'm on the track/ autocross/ "that" stretch of road far to rarely. Meanwhile the rest of the time I felt like a shark stuck in a fishbowl- give me a Boxster Spyder 9 days out of 10. So I'm largely past wanting "more" for its own sake, and I suspect that as it becomes more accessible others will come to the same conclusion. Sure there will always be some who're playing a clubhouse game of Top Trumps and others who are chasing lap times, but for the rest of us extreme experiences can be had with much less power than is already fairly easy to buy.
Old 03-11-2018, 09:50 PM
FourT6and2
Drifting

I've said for some time- I think we're in the twilight of the "more" era. Power and torque have been the easy part for some time, and are only getting more so. We're discussing squeaking out another 50 hp in the face of 707 hp Hellcats, "ludicrous mode" and cars like the Rimac C 2: ~1,900 hp and the ability to spin all four at will (software allowing) into triple digits. The truth is that in a few years 1000 hp simply won't be that expensive, which will force you to ask: do you really still want "more"?

In my experience the 900 hp in a 918 is a pretty great party trick. Unfortunately you really to be at the right party to use it, and I'm on the track/ autocross/ "that" stretch of road far to rarely. Meanwhile the rest of the time I felt like a shark stuck in a fishbowl- give me a Boxster Spyder 9 days out of 10. So I'm largely past wanting "more" for its own sake, and I suspect that as it becomes more accessible others will come to the same conclusion. Sure there will always be some who're playing a clubhouse game of Top Trumps and others who are chasing lap times, but for the rest of us extreme experiences can be had with much less power than is already fairly easy to buy.
Realistically, 500-600hp is enough for my ego—but with the torque to match. The GT3/RS are damn near perfect. But all else being the same, imagine what these cars would be like with 450 lb/ft...
Old 03-11-2018, 11:06 PM
Petevb
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 96redLT4
That is another great question for you Pete. Is it possible to crank up torque without much more hp.
Somewhat, but in practice you start sacrifing power on the high end. On the street I also tend to like the top-end rush of cars like the 997 RS 4.0 in a normally aspirated 911- it really rewards ringing it out. As long as it comes in early enough and there are no dead spots (like the GT4). At the autocross, on the other hand, I’ll take all the torque I can get...
Old 03-11-2018, 11:53 PM
RRDnA
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

also need to discuss losses with high revving engines........
Old 03-12-2018, 12:00 AM
FourT6and2
Drifting

Originally Posted by RRDnA
also need to discuss losses with high revving engines........
What, like virginity? Yeah, a high-revving sports car tends to do that.

Quick Reply: How much NA power is technically possible from a flat six?