Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OT: Another Defection

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2018, 08:51 AM
tstafford
Race Car

Received 1,083 Likes on 621 Posts

^^^^A lot of the same reasons I did it. Particularly the issues around tracking a $200K car. I'm unconcerned about damage to the Radical while on the track (other than the stater motor thing) - just concerned about my safety (and speed)!! I will say this - now that I've driven the Radical the $200K issue isn't why I wouldn't want to track a street car at this point .

Question: Are you running the 1500 cc engine? I ask because the recommended rebuild interval on the 1340 cc is 90 hours now if you are using as a track toy.
Old 04-23-2018, 09:27 AM
PierreTT
Rennlist Member

Received 161 Likes on 62 Posts

I have the 1340. What about you?
I did not know about the 90 hours... Good news!
Just installed my AIM kit, will try get good footage of Mosport next WE. Very fast track.

This year is a "Test/Try" to see how I like it. I pretty know the outcome...
I'll probably swap mine for a new one next season.
Old 04-23-2018, 10:09 AM
Scrappy1972
Burning Brakes

Received 682 Likes on 321 Posts

Originally Posted by PierreTT
Just installed my AIM kit, will try get good footage of Mosport next WE. Very fast track.

You'll love the Radical and the series. Will you do the Canada Cup? The summer classic at Tremblant is a must-do event.

Mosport being a very fast track is an understatement - you're full throttle for probably 95% of the lap. Here's an onboard from a test day I did at the end of the 2016 season. Will be interesting to see if the Hankook's are faster than the Dunlops....

Old 04-23-2018, 10:28 AM
thebishman
Burning Brakes

Received 327 Likes on 201 Posts

Those of you driving Radicals at an HPDE: I’m sure the solitary rush of driving the car on track is fantastic, especially as you gain more experience, BUT since it is so much quicker than a street car, do you tend to miss the give/take of passing?

Bish
Old 04-23-2018, 10:37 AM
tstafford
Race Car

Originally Posted by PierreTT

1340 for me. I think the interval is 50 as you say IF you're racing. But 90 if you're puttering around at DE like me. I'm very, very happy with the 1340 cc motor - apparently less temperamental which is hugely important to me.

AIM - awesome. You'll love it. I like the auto start/stop - zero hassle.
Old 04-23-2018, 10:48 AM
Palting
Rennlist Member

Received 238 Likes on 153 Posts

Oh, boy. I should stop reading this thread. This is one slippery slope.

1. Eh, I don't use my GT car on the street that much, I've got a trailer already anyway, time to get a Radical.
2. Eh, 1300 CC doesn't seem like much. The Radical has so much downforce, need to get a bigger engine to justify it.
3. Eh, DE doesn't really challenge the Radical, need to do some races.
4. Eh, need to upgrade for races. Time tho sell the house, the wife, the children..........

I REALLY have to stop reading this thread!!!
Old 04-23-2018, 10:49 AM
manitou202
Burning Brakes

Received 406 Likes on 158 Posts

I'm following this thread closely! My brother was just in town and we took my .2GT3 to the track last weekend. It was an absolute blast! But pretty quickly we began discussing the possibility of a dedicated track car instead of regularly tracking our expensive toys (.2GT3 or in his case an F430). We still want to drive these at the track but would also like a more raw dedicated track car that would cost less to run. The idea of going in together on a Radical came up. He lives in Austin Texas and I live in Colorado. Each taking the car for 6 months of the year would work out pretty evenly. It won't happen for another year or two, but it's definitely on our radar.

How is the learning curve? It was intimidating enough (for me at least) to take my GT3 to the track as it is much more capable than anything I've driven. With a Radical being in a different league and so much more capable, it gives me even more hesitation. I'm not an overly aggressive driver, I play it smart when I'm on the track and can keep my ego in check. Did you guys feel like you've mastered more forgiving cars like the GT3 first before stepping up to a Radical? How much of a leap was the Radical?
Old 04-23-2018, 10:56 AM
DRE168
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

PierreTT: There’s a few reasons for the break from the SR8.

1. New/different challenge: I would guess I’ve done about 250 days (trackdays and comp) in a Radical. It took me a long time to get my times to be relatively close to a pro driver. Now that I’m there time-wise, I find myself taking more and more risks in order to beat my PB’s. Now with the GT3, I’m enjoying taking a whole different animal and trying to extract the best out of it.

2. Convenience. There are some days where I would use track support but most of the time I would trailer car myself. The amount of gear I used to lug around was getting ridiculous. Tools, gas bottle, engine heaters (water and oil), power cords, Tyre warmers, 3 extra sets of wheels, etc. Took me 2 hours to set up in the morning and 1 hr in the afternoon to pack up. Granted if you were just using the car for Trackday fun, you probably won’t need some of that stuff. Now it’s so quick and convenient.

3. Cost. This is my experience with the SR8 where the wear and tear is a lot more than SR3’s. I have a couple of friends who had SR3 1500 and they were almost bulletproof. Not including the purchase costs of the cars, I averaged about $60k/year running the Radical. It needed ALOT of maintenance and despite that things still broke. The big ticket items were obviously the engine and gearbox of which I’ve had multiple rebuilds and brand new ones.

At the end of the day despite some negatives I would do it all over again. You’ll have years of fun ahead.
Old 04-23-2018, 01:14 PM
race7117
Burning Brakes

Received 91 Likes on 51 Posts

Yea I think about making the switch but then I see something like this and I'm good with having a new RS.

Old 04-23-2018, 01:39 PM
tstafford
Race Car

Originally Posted by manitou202
How is the learning curve? It was intimidating enough (for me at least) to take my GT3 to the track as it is much more capable than anything I've driven. With a Radical being in a different league and so much more capable, it gives me even more hesitation. I'm not an overly aggressive driver, I play it smart when I'm on the track and can keep my ego in check. Did you guys feel like you've mastered more forgiving cars like the GT3 first before stepping up to a Radical? How much of a leap was the Radical?
I think the Radical is far more forgiving than the GT3. The weight helps, the downforce helps, the lower torque helps, the fact that it's fiberglass (and therefore bruises can be fixed cheaply helps), race slicks are amazing helps, etc. I feel safer, faster and have more fun in the Radical.

The learning curve scared me too, but I'm on the curve now and moving upward. Just getting the toe in the water was scary but I can manage the car on and off the track. The off the track part is what worried me most - starting it, warming it up, putting fuel in it, etc. but it's just a car. I'm enjoying learning new things.

Last edited by tstafford; 04-23-2018 at 05:38 PM.
Old 04-23-2018, 01:51 PM
BK77
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm currently in the transition from Radical RXC to 2RS. The radical is amazing racecar and is one of the most rewarding cars I've ever owned or driven, I know your going to love it. If you have the extra time to take advantage of radical I highly recommend it to anyone..... having the time was the issue for me.
Old 04-23-2018, 04:47 PM
Scrappy1972
Burning Brakes

Received 682 Likes on 321 Posts

Originally Posted by manitou202
The Radical is very approachable for anyone who's coming from a GT car. The aero is progressive and the car is relatively soft with short A-arms and tube frame construction, as compared to a formula car or full-on sports prototype. It has very little torque so throttle control is mostly binary with no worry of wheelspin. The short wheelbase makes it fun in the tight corners but it has a strong tendency to understeer which I found very difficult to tune out.

High speed corners require a leap of faith until you trust the aero. Braking technique is probably the biggest difference vs. a GT as it requires very high initial brake pressure (up to 80 bar) followed by a smooth release as the downforce bleeds off.

Try one sometime
Old 04-23-2018, 04:55 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,772 Likes on 1,020 Posts

Originally Posted by Palting
Oh, boy. I should stop reading this thread. This is one slippery slope.

1. Eh, I don't use my GT car on the street that much, I've got a trailer already anyway, time to get a Radical.
2. Eh, 1300 CC doesn't seem like much. The Radical has so much downforce, need to get a bigger engine to justify it.
3. Eh, DE doesn't really challenge the Radical, need to do some races.
4. Eh, need to upgrade for races. Time tho sell the house, the wife, the children..........

I REALLY have to stop reading this thread!!!
I hear you!
Old 04-24-2018, 08:59 AM
PierreTT
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Scrappy1972
You'll love the Radical and the series. Will you do the Canada Cup? The summer classic at Tremblant is a must-do event.

Mosport being a very fast track is an understatement - you're full throttle for probably 95% of the lap. Here's an onboard from a test day I did at the end of the 2016 season. Will be interesting to see if the Hankook's are faster than the Dunlops....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I90nIf0NCs4
Scrappy, I have watched your video many time before going to Mosport last year for the first time. I'm probably half of the views... LOL
You helped me alot BTW. :-)
New car, new track... learning curve was steep! Thanks for sharing that stuff
I'm not expecting to be that fast but at least, I know where I'm supposed to be flat out
Old 04-24-2018, 09:12 AM
PierreTT
Rennlist Member

DRE168, Thanks for replying. I guess you were much deeper into it that I'm planning to do...

Bish, As for running with regular cars in DE, it is manageable and some very fast street/track cars will be almost as fast but not at the same place on the circuit. This is what I found a little challenging.
I'll be faster in corners but slower on straights... Needs attention sometime.

I did a DE day at Mosport back in october. We were 4 Radicals running together... Tons of fun and great for me to learn the car.
We need more Radicals on the track!

Quick Reply: OT: Another Defection