Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OT: Another Defection

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2018, 08:40 AM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

Received 3,968 Likes on 1,926 Posts

I’ll go this way once EV radical moves beyond prototype.
Old 03-10-2018, 10:27 AM
fxz
Race Car

Location: The way to hell is paved by good intentions “Wenn ich Purist höre...entsichere ich meinen Browning” "Myths are fuel for marketing (and nowadays for flippers too,,,)" time to time is not sufficient to be a saint, you must be also an Hero
Received 441 Likes on 263 Posts

.1Cup Vs SR3 SL

Old 03-10-2018, 01:42 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

Received 3,968 Likes on 1,926 Posts

I tried following a radical at spring mountain once through the twisties in a 997.2 Cup - it didn’t pan out for me - down force is awesome if what you want is speed through the corners...which is exactly what you want ��
Old 03-10-2018, 05:03 PM
_fletch
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I've driven a couple of Radicals and they are nuts (in a good way). Congratulations, and the back section of AMP will make your butt clench flat out with all that downforce!!

QUESTION: when you track these things in the States, are you on the track with other open-cockpit cars? or are you having to mix it up with sports cars? I realize the Radical isn't quite an open-wheeler/single-seater but I would seriously seriously never take one of them alongside big sports cars.
Old 03-10-2018, 05:55 PM
RennOracle
Pro

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by tstafford
Similar to other recent posts, making the transition from tracking GT3/GT3 RS to a Radical:
  • SR3 RSX w/ the 1340 cc motor
  • LHD w/ passenger seat
  • Paddle shift
  • Fuel cell
  • Intrax suspension
  • AIM system
  • etc.
No plans at the moment to race it, just to use it at AMP instead of tracking a GT car. Last year I stored a GT3 RS at the track and used it exclusively for that purpose. It wasn't insured or registered for road use. Upon reflection at the end of the season it just didn't make sense to have a $200K plus car for that purpose. One encounter with the tire wall in the RS would likely pay for most of a Radical!

As you'll see from the pics the car is nearly ready for shipment. Hopefully arrives in the States in less than a week.

Very excited to make this move. I'll miss the turnkey nature of the RS but I think the rewards of the Radical will make the extra hassle worth it.

THIS SO MUCH. It is a different kind of driving altogether and fun too, but it makes so much more sense for a lot of people, for some reason they just don't take the jump, maybe for fear of thinking it's some lmp car like maintenance or something.
You will miss the gt3 tho, specially if you have other Porsches in your track days.
Will you join the US championship? That will be where you will have the most fun.
Old 03-10-2018, 05:58 PM
hughp3
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by fxz
this car has a ford 300hp motor. Tim and my car have 160whp 1340 cc ‘Busa motor, a big difference. It’s all momentum and a bit of *****. AMP is a blast, Road Atlanta (my only time there yet) was a whole nother animal and takes big commitment from driver. I have to reach and get use to 2g+ on a regular basis! I have never felt 2g... but that’s part of the adventure.
Old 03-10-2018, 06:01 PM
bammb
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been in several races with PBOC at Barber with everything from miatas to radicals. You really have to watch your mirrors because of the speed differences and how low radicals sit to the ground. I would love to drive one!
Old 03-10-2018, 06:11 PM
RennOracle
Pro

For those who are scared (rightfully so) of open cockpits, radical has the rxc and I think a couple of others. The constrains are that they are way more powerful (an sr3 is already ball shriking fast and it has around 200hp) and fairly more expensive to run.
Besides ginettas and cup cars and crazy powered prototype cars, there aren't that many cheap, reliable, closed cockpit radical like cars.
Old 03-10-2018, 06:23 PM
RennOracle
Pro

Originally Posted by djcxxx
I think it makes sense because I have always considered the GT cars primarily street cars suitable for frequent track duty. They are not race cars. GT stil stands for Gran Turismo. Like the color scheme. Financial argument also makes a lot sense. Cool car!
The thing with gt3 and rs is the old motto of grabbing a bag with a couple of things, go to the track, enjoy, go home at the end of the day and the next day drive to work or just on a hoon to the supermarket and even go to a couple of car meets and don't be out of place.
Radicals, even tho they don't really need a team being, one does benefict from one, there is always a niggle, suspension settings for the tracks (it's very sensible to setup), etc etc. A GT3 RS either works or it doesn't and rarely has something besides worn tires or brakes.

That's why radicals are much more fun to run in the brand championship, you have a team to help you, everything organized and pre planned, you can have them take your car to the track, you just show up and drive the whole day against similar cars to yours (much more fun than doing a gymkhana of miatas and company and trying to not be bulldozer by other cars).

To me the perfect combo would always be the 2. The radical for spitting the venom of competition out and the gt3 (or similar) just for fun both on track and street.
Old 03-10-2018, 06:49 PM
tstafford
Race Car

Received 1,086 Likes on 622 Posts

Originally Posted by RennOracle
Will you join the US championship? That will be where you will have the most fun.
Not in year one! But I'm not ruling out doing some events after I figure out what the heck I'm doing. We'll see how it develops.

Originally Posted by RennOracle
The thing with gt3 and rs is the old motto of grabbing a bag with a couple of things, go to the track, enjoy, go home at the end of the day and the next day drive to work or just on a hoon to the supermarket and even go to a couple of car meets and don't be out of place.
Radicals, even tho they don't really need a team being, one does benefict from one, there is always a niggle, suspension settings for the tracks (it's very sensible to setup), etc etc. A GT3 RS either works or it doesn't and rarely has something besides worn tires or brakes.

That's why radicals are much more fun to run in the brand championship, you have a team to help you, everything organized and pre planned, you can have them take your car to the track, you just show up and drive the whole day against similar cars to yours (much more fun than doing a gymkhana of miatas and company and trying to not be bulldozer by other cars).

To me the perfect combo would always be the 2. The radical for spitting the venom of competition out and the gt3 (or similar) just for fun both on track and street.
I don't disagree with this. For now the Radical will live at AMP where there is daily support available from the on-premise shop and AMP itself is in the process of becoming a Radical distributor (so two options on site). This year, at least, if I wanted to do a regular HPDE like Chin or whatever I'd take the C2S which is plenty of car to run in the intermediate group when just having fun at a place like Barber.
Old 03-10-2018, 07:11 PM
Raven 666
Drifting

Received 92 Likes on 53 Posts

Mate I have been tracking and open wheeler for close to 10 years now ,,,very reliable due to being so light,, less stress on components eg engine ,tires, brakes etc thus far more cost effective ,,,,just as quick or in most cases quicker .........and a lot more fun to drive ,,,,Yes more fun to drive than a cup car ,,,you are more in tune with the car and being exposed to the elements with no roof or windows gives a greater sensory overload ...Higher cornering speeds makes for different driving style all about flow and constantly keeping the pace ...
Old 03-10-2018, 08:52 PM
erko1905
Rennlist Member

Received 100 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by fxz
That was a great video - thanks for posting
Old 03-28-2018, 09:30 PM
tstafford
Race Car

Received 1,086 Likes on 622 Posts

Day one of Radical experience today.

First: Big thanks to Tom Drewer of Radical NA. Spent the whole day at AMP helping set-up the car, training me and providing tremendous feedback/info. Tom is a class act.
Second: Equally big thanks to Racing Analytics who's mechanics did all the hard work and made it tremendously fun. Thanks Shea.

Proof is in the numbers: my best lap in the GT3 RS was 1:31 (only achieved once) and in the Radical I was able to produce repeatable 1:26s during shakedown with a soft RPM limit of 8K. Downforce car on slicks makes for fast times.

It's a different experience driving the Radical. It's harder work (physically) and so much more rewarding. I felt much more connected to the car and the track than I ever had before. That connection allowed me to push my limits with more confidence than ever before. There's no doubt that knowing the track really well helped - I was only sweating the car not the line.

Side note: Running the slicks (Hankook Ventus Race in this case) is amazing. More grip, not less after many laps. Such a nice change from street tires that produce the best results on lap two or three.
Old 03-28-2018, 10:15 PM
GeoJoe
Rennlist Member

Received 518 Likes on 239 Posts

Wow... congrats on a great day 1 lap time! Looking forward to seeing you out there. Another ATL local - John Paul Jones has one too. Chased him for a while at Barber in my GT4.

Old 03-28-2018, 10:36 PM
hughp3
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

good to meet you in person today Tim. Car looks fantastic and great lap first time out.

Quick Reply: OT: Another Defection