Sponsored by:

Key secret why 991.2 GT3 RS will post some great lap times

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2018, 04:15 PM
RennOracle
Pro

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Waxer
Yep. Agree. Like I said. The .1RS is capable of 7:12 or equivilent of the .2GT3 and this new RS should be around 7:00 or a nip under. New gen tires and 20 extra horses are huge on a long 7+ mile sweeping circuit.

I believe the increased spring rates front and rear are for the helper springs not the main springs which increases the preload to make it stiffer from the jump. Were the dampers revalved for this? I don't see where they would need to be if the main spring is the same. If this is true this is a easy upgrade to the .1RS.

There is no doubt in my mind a .1RS with an ECU flash, new gen tires and BBi or GMG suspension rose jointed arms could replicate the .2RS time. Same platform with incremental improvements that can be duplicated.

What you can't duplicate is that damn WP. I want that!
WP is even easier than the rest.
The hard part are all the software upgrades, from the rws, e-diff, steering, pdk (not that relevant), aero (that by the way, it's +400kg on the back, plus +200kg on the front) and weight reduction bits and bobs.

But yes, tractive coilovers, dundon headers, solid bushings, a good alignment and voilá a great fast car.
Old 03-13-2018, 05:19 PM
isv
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Waxer
I believe the increased spring rates front and rear are for the helper springs not the main springs which increases the preload to make it stiffer from the jump. Were the dampers revalved for this? I don't see where they would need to be if the main spring is the same. If this is true this is a easy upgrade to the .1RS.
Amazing what some people are capable of convincing themselves of.
Old 03-13-2018, 06:25 PM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Received 810 Likes on 424 Posts

Originally Posted by isv
Amazing what some people are capable of convincing themselves of.

Yup, my bad. I was looking at Cup specs.

.2RS spring rates seem similar to the adjustable Ohlins and KW packages. Definitely more hard core track focused.
Old 03-17-2018, 02:07 PM
Petevb
Rennlist Member

Received 704 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by RRDnA
See the other thread - I have added a range of GT cars and the TTS. A dyno without the facility to measure losses is a very blunt instrument.
Unfortunately dynos with the ability to measure losses are nearly equally blunt, and you’re still putting far too much stock into them.
Old 03-18-2018, 08:28 AM
RRDnA
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Petevb

Unfortunately dynos with the ability to measure losses are nearly equally blunt, and you’re still putting far too much stock into them.
Porsche would disagree with you - in fact they worked with Sport Auto to investigate spurious HP claims in relation to the TTS.
Old 03-18-2018, 12:02 PM
Petevb
Rennlist Member

Porsche would disagree with you - in fact they worked with Sport Auto to investigate spurious HP claims in relation to the TTS.
I’ve given you data that shows one maha loss measurement being 2.4 times larger than another taken at the same rpm. If you want to interpret that as “accurate” then as usual you’re welcome to.
Old 03-19-2018, 12:32 AM
RRDnA
Banned

I’ve given you data that shows one maha loss measurement being 2.4 times larger than another taken at the same rpm. If you want to interpret that as “accurate” then as usual you’re welcome to.
If you want to believe in fairy tale numbers its entirely up to you - for every poor MAHA run, I can literally show you hundreds of runs from the US on non-MAHA dynos that are in effect fantasy.

The beauty of the MAHA is, all data is displayed for an educated person to make an assessment.

Once again, Porsche worked with Sport Auto and MAHA (this is a fact) to check why dynos were giving wildly inaccurate results in regard to the TTS. There is a technical article published in Sport Auto that goes through the process and conclusions. Three seperate MAHA dynos in three different locations yielded results within a few HP.

Explain this simple observation - recent testing of the 500PS Series II GT3 delivered trap speeds of 125MPH to 126MPH - the 450PS Series II GTS delivered a trap speed of 125MPH. The MAHA dyno results from both the GT3 and the GTS point to the reason why the difference in trap speeds is so small i.e. the difference in delivered WHP is ~ 20WHP.

For reference the article is called Von Der Rolle, written by Marcus Schurig (SportAuto, January 2016).
Old 03-19-2018, 12:53 AM
Petevb
Rennlist Member

If you want to believe in fairy tale numbers its entirely up to you
Lol. Those results were from a technical pier reviewed paper published in the International Journal of Automotive Technology. Over 2.5x differences at the same RPM on the same maha dyno. You might look it up and learn that your understanding of rpm and losses is highly flawed.

Or you could simply change the subject and repeat your agenda again... but isn’t that approach what got you banned the first time?

Old 03-19-2018, 12:59 AM
RRDnA
Banned

LOL, Please explain this simple observation - recent testing of the 500PS Series II GT3 delivered trap speeds of 125MPH to 126MPH - the 450PS Series II GTS delivered a trap speed of 125MPH.

The MAHA dyno results from both the GT3 and the GTS point to the reason why the difference in trap speeds is so small i.e. the difference in delivered WHP is ~ 20WHP.

The Series II GTS, 450PS, 360-365WHP MAHA, 125MPH trap - The Series II GT3 - 500PS, 380-385WHP MAHA, 125-126MPH trap.

The losses are real, the independent dyno testing conducted by Sport Auto supports this as do the measured trap times.

Perhaps you believe Porsche "under - rate" their engines. I don't ascribe to this, neither do Porsche. Thats why they worked with Sport Auto and Maha to find some of the causes for spurious results.

To be frank non of this is even remotely controversial and any discussion of engine HP is irrelevant if losses aren't understood. It really is a case of rubber hitting the road (or rather WHP that counts).

Last edited by RRDnA; 03-19-2018 at 01:15 AM.
Old 03-19-2018, 01:24 AM
Petevb
Rennlist Member

I give. I’m glad you’re enjoying GTS, which at 125 mph through the 1/4 is apparently only *slightly* slower than a 991.1 GT3.
http://media.caranddriver.com/files/...-911-gt3-1.pdf

Or maybe variation... never mind, best of luck.
Old 03-19-2018, 04:34 AM
fxz
Race Car

Location: The way to hell is paved by good intentions “Wenn ich Purist höre...entsichere ich meinen Browning” "Myths are fuel for marketing (and nowadays for flippers too,,,)" time to time is not sufficient to be a saint, you must be also an Hero
Received 421 Likes on 249 Posts

LOL, Please explain this simple observation - recent testing of the 500PS Series II GT3 delivered trap speeds of 125MPH to 126MPH - the 450PS Series II GTS delivered a trap speed of 125MPH.

The MAHA dyno results from both the GT3 and the GTS point to the reason why the difference in trap speeds is so small i.e. the difference in delivered WHP is ~ 20WHP.

The Series II GTS, 450PS, 360-365WHP MAHA, 125MPH trap - The Series II GT3 - 500PS, 380-385WHP MAHA, 125-126MPH trap.

The losses are real, the independent dyno testing conducted by Sport Auto supports this as do the measured trap times.

Perhaps you believe Porsche "under - rate" their engines. I don't ascribe to this, neither do Porsche. Thats why they worked with Sport Auto and Maha to find some of the causes for spurious results.

To be frank non of this is even remotely controversial and any discussion of engine HP is irrelevant if losses aren't understood. It really is a case of rubber hitting the road (or rather WHP that counts).

GTS.2 MT or PDK, 2WD or 4WD?
GT3.2 PDK or MT ?
any link or picture of the SA article ?
Old 03-19-2018, 05:28 AM
erikerik
Rennlist Member

Received 121 Likes on 42 Posts

BTW... Lizard looks much more vibrant and closer to Gelbrun in real life than in this video.

Anyone who specs Lizard and hasn't seen it, will be happily surprised when they see their car. It looks awesome.

Here's a photo that I took at Geneva that is much closer to the actual color.

Originally Posted by Kobalt
Old 03-19-2018, 06:33 AM
RRDnA
Banned

I give. I’m glad you’re enjoying GTS, which at 125 mph through the 1/4 is apparently only *slightly* slower than a 991.1 GT3.
http://media.caranddriver.com/files/...-911-gt3-1.pdf

Or maybe variation... never mind, best of luck.
Likewise, enjoy your GT3 in good health.

Perhaps its as simple as that - inherent variation and miles on the clock before testing. I do know the documentation I received with my car after the retrofit indicated the engine would make maximum torque and HP at around 10,000kms - therefore a fresh engine may be tight relative to a slightly older engine the latter having optimal mileage in terms of testing for HP/torque/trap.
Old 03-19-2018, 06:58 AM
Chris3963
Rennlist Member

Received 1,083 Likes on 384 Posts

GT3 RS construction materials cutaway.

Quick Reply: Key secret why 991.2 GT3 RS will post some great lap times