Sponsored by:

Key secret why 991.2 GT3 RS will post some great lap times

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2018, 12:27 PM
GT3
Three Wheelin'

Received 208 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by rosenbergendo
"The .2 GT3 is faster than the .1 GT3RS... the .2GT3RS is faster than the .2 GT3."
Highly highly doubt this. Im willing to bet my .1 RS on N2 is faster than a GT3 (and not far from a .2 RS on many tracks). And frankly I'd be willing to lay some money on the line to prove it.
Tires aside, the new stock GT3 engine puts down 400 whp at just 6600 rpm, whereas the old stock RS engine does it at 7200 rpm. Plus the new GT3 engine also puts 30 wtq more at 6000 rpm (also getting to peak torque 600 rpm sooner than the old RS engine). It doesn’t matter what Porsche claims on paper ( both supposedly 500 hp engines), which most may see as underwhelming. Delivery is more efficient in the new engine. That together with the suspension upgrades, gears, etc... All those incremental improvements make a significant difference - always have on every .2 version.
Old 03-11-2018, 01:14 PM
isv
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by RennOracle
No, are you serious? You talk like that's springs and solid bushings is all they did. We will have the chance to see.

Edit. I might be overstating the gains, I will check spa times, laguna and algarve. Until results are out, I think this kind of talk is redundant.
I do believe gains in time will be bigger than anyone is imagining, might be totally wrong
i think you are hugely underestimating just how much of an improvement 3 seconds over a 90 second lap is, especially if achieved outside tyres and purely on chassis changes. For example, I would personally be very surprised if the 4.0rs was 3 seconds a lap faster than the 997.1rs on a 90s track once you put the 2 cars on the same spec of tyre and the changes to the 4.0 vs the 7.1 I would suggest are considerably greater than in the 991s.

Just to add, I don't mean to knock the .2 rs at all and I'd have one in a flash if I were deemed worthy by an OPC to get an allocation (here in the uk the situation is laughable). It's clearly an improved and further optimised car over the .1 but the hype and all that surrounds every new car gets a bit ridiculous.
Old 03-11-2018, 01:18 PM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Received 810 Likes on 424 Posts

Originally Posted by GT3

Tires aside, the new stock GT3 engine puts down 400 whp at just 6600 rpm, whereas the old stock RS engine does it at 7200 rpm. Plus the new GT3 engine also puts 30 wtq more at 6000 rpm (also getting to peak torque 600 rpm sooner than the old RS engine). It doesn’t matter what Porsche claims on paper ( both supposedly 500 hp engines), which most may see as underwhelming. Delivery is more efficient in the new engine. That together with the suspension upgrades, gears, etc... All those incremental improvements make a significant difference - always have on every .2 version.
Zactly. Same torque and hp at 600 rpm sooner is an incremental change. Not a huge change by any stretch of the imagination. A step on but incremental. Stiffer spring rates make for less sway but less forgiving on certain tracks that are not smooth and certainly less optimal for street use on your average Sunday roads.

.1RS clearly capable of replicating the 7:12 at the Ring the .2GT3 hit. (The old 7:20 Ring time is not representative based on poor weather and yestersdays tires) .1RS has same hp, same springs and dampers as .2GT3. In fact .1RS has wider track and better aero. The new .2GT3RS with an additional 20 hp and stiffer spring rates (likely 15 at rear wheel) will be able to bite off another 10 seconds over a 7 mile run at the Ring especially with the better tires. No doubt. Time differences less on shorter tracks and cars are still close enough main difference will still be dependent on drivers especially where .1RS has updated rubber shoes.

The GT2RS nailed a 6:47 at the Ring with over 700 hp. My bet is the .2GT3RS comes in around 7:05 to 7:00. Manthey .1RS hit 7:09 without any headers.

Also can someone point me to where the .2GT3RS has rose jointed control arms????? Its not in the PAG materials nor did AP mention it which he would be crowing about if it had it. That's a GT2RS goodie not available on the 3RS.

Wagers on Ring times?
Old 03-11-2018, 01:52 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

I’m now running 295-345 Hoosier R7 on 19”.
The car really needed more tire.

Now it’s a dream to drive, even with the softer oem springs.
A lot of the drivability come from the possibility to play with the rake more and also drop the car a tremendous amount.
Old 03-11-2018, 02:17 PM
isv
Pro

Originally Posted by Waxer
(The old 7:20 Ring time is not representative based on poor weather and yestersdays tires)

Also can someone point me to where the .2GT3RS has rose jointed control arms????? Its not in the PAG materials nor did AP mention it which he would be crowing about if it had it. That's a GT2RS goodie not available on the 3RS.
?
https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/n...t3-rs-revealed

"" Like the 911 GT2 RS, rose joints are used throughout the front and rear suspension and the rear-wheel steering system has been extensively reprogrammed."""

the 991rs time was representative at 7:20 based on SportAuto times (7:28 rs vs 7:32 991.1gt3). With the same driver (von saurma) the .2gt3 was 7:24 recently iirc. There's absolutely nothing to suggest this damp track stuff that has been bandied about.
Old 03-11-2018, 04:08 PM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Received 810 Likes on 424 Posts

Originally Posted by isv

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/n...t3-rs-revealed

"" Like the 911 GT2 RS, rose joints are used throughout the front and rear suspension and the rear-wheel steering system has been extensively reprogrammed."""
the 991rs time was representative at 7:20 based on SportAuto times (7:28 rs vs 7:32 991.1gt3). With the same driver (von saurma) the .2gt3 was 7:24 recently iirc. There's absolutely nothing to suggest this damp track stuff that has been bandied about.
Here you go. We are both wrong. Track was actually partially wet not just damp and it was on only the third run with Timo. Sorry. Oops.
If you think representative runs are on third time out and on a wet track then that's in your world not everyone elses.
https://www.topgear.com/car-reviews/...dk/first-drive

As to the rose jointed control arms, I am shocked AP wasn't crowing about this in the vid review with EVO. He was quick to point out the spring rate changes. I can't believe AP totally left this out of his review with EVO. Wow! I am not convinced yet. It would be great if .2RS did come with rose jointed arms but needs to be confirmed. Not buying the Autocar article info just yet. I am sure if the .2GT3RS had the upfitted rose joints AP would have been all over it in the interview.

.2GT3 clocked 7:12 with factory driver. The .1RS is clearly capable of the same or equivilent times based on specs and maybe a tad better based on track width and aero.
Old 03-11-2018, 04:25 PM
isv
Pro

SportAuto runs were on a fully dry track and the .1 gt3/rs were broadly in line with Porsche declared factory times so no reason to think 7:20 was not representative. Note Top gear says "apparently" as well. Continue believing whatever you wish though.

Old 03-11-2018, 04:27 PM
SCCAForums
Pro

Received 79 Likes on 39 Posts

"The .2 GT3 is faster than the .1 GT3RS... the .2GT3RS is faster than the .2 GT3."
Highly highly doubt this. Im willing to bet my .1 RS on N2 is faster than a GT3 (and not far from a .2 RS on many tracks). And frankly I'd be willing to lay some money on the line to prove it.
I'll take that bet... I'm in the SW and happy to meet up to run a .1 RS on similar tires.

.2 GT3 has so much more torque down low... and incremental overall improvements...

.1 RS guys can keep singing the 'tires blues'... but the fact is the .1 RS has 'bigger' tires than the .2 GT3... so if it's going to be apples to apples, pick your poison.

Porsche has plenty of access to the RING... if they thought the .1 car's time wasn't reflective of what it could do... they'd have come back.

I will be interested to see the .2 GT3 at Laguna Seca with Randy driving it... and compared to what he last did with the .1 RS... that should be fairly equal.

Irregardless, they are both great cars... evolution will continue on... just as the 992 will be quicker than the 991.2... You can always mod the car to go quicker... but that's not what we're comparing.

Best Regards,
Dave
Old 03-11-2018, 04:28 PM
SCCAForums
Pro

Duplicate
Old 03-11-2018, 04:32 PM
rosenbergendo
Drifting

Received 611 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by SCCAForums
I'll take that bet... I'm in the SW and happy to meet up to run a .1 RS on similar tires.

.2 GT3 has so much more torque down low... and incremental overall improvements...

.1 RS guys can keep singing the 'tires blues'... but the fact is the .1 RS has 'bigger' tires than the .2 GT3... so if it's going to be apples to apples, pick your poison.

Porsche has plenty of access to the RING... if they thought the .1 car's time wasn't reflective of what it could do... they'd have come back.

I will be interested to see the .2 GT3 at Laguna Seca with Randy driving it... and compared to what he last did with the .1 RS... that should be fairly equal.

Irregardless, they are both great cars... evolution will continue on... just as the 992 will be quicker than the 991.2... You can always mod the car to go quicker... but that's not what we're comparing.

Best Regards,
Dave
all in good fun Dave. If u are ever at Sebring or PBIR happy to meet up and have at it!,
😉
Old 03-11-2018, 04:38 PM
SCCAForums
Pro

all in good fun Dave. If u are ever at Sebring or PBIR happy to meet up and have at it!,
😉
Closest I may get (at least in my car) would probably be COTA. Would love to make the haul to Sebring some day for sure!

Best Regards,
Dave
Old 03-11-2018, 05:47 PM
Petevb
Rennlist Member

Received 704 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by Waxer
As to the rose jointed control arms, I am shocked AP wasn't crowing about this in the vid review with EVO. He was quick to point out the spring rate changes. I can't believe AP totally left this out of his review with EVO. Wow! I am not convinced yet. It would be great if .2RS did come with rose jointed arms but needs to be confirmed. Not buying the Autocar article info just yet. I am sure if the .2GT3RS had the upfitted rose joints AP would have been all over it in the interview.
You're sure about quite a lot...

It's in the press materials. It's also on the Porsche.com website under technical data:
Front axle Lightweight spring strut axle (McPherson type), all suspension mountings ball-jointed
Rear axle Lightweight multi-link suspension with wheels independently suspended on five links, all suspension mountings ball-jointed

They completely reworked the GT2's suspension to help it put down 550 lbs ft and 700 hp through the rear wheels. Ball joints all around, different spring and damper philosophy, etc. They then evolved the GT3's suspension from that using many of those parts including the rose-jointed mountings. This has been mentioned quite a lot around here?
Old 03-11-2018, 05:47 PM
RennOracle
Pro

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by isv

i think you are hugely underestimating just how much of an improvement 3 seconds over a 90 second lap is, especially if achieved outside tyres and purely on chassis changes. For example, I would personally be very surprised if the 4.0rs was 3 seconds a lap faster than the 997.1rs on a 90s track once you put the 2 cars on the same spec of tyre and the changes to the 4.0 vs the 7.1 I would suggest are considerably greater than in the 991s.

Just to add, I don't mean to knock the .2 rs at all and I'd have one in a flash if I were deemed worthy by an OPC to get an allocation (here in the uk the situation is laughable). It's clearly an improved and further optimised car over the .1 but the hype and all that surrounds every new car gets a bit ridiculous.
On Algarve(around a 2 minute track), the RS was 6 seconds faster than the 991 gt3. Again it's redundant. I only know that the 991.2 gt3 is way faster than the numbers would ever suggest and that on suspension and torque Porsche made it faster than the 1.rs pretty much everywhere.
The RS is a gt3, plus a lot more.
Old 03-11-2018, 06:12 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

��
+1
planning to out lay down some laps at PBIR and Homestead before the Smokies run.

i think they are within a second. Depending on track. So even roughly.

Old 03-11-2018, 06:52 PM
ezinternet
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Petevb
Front axle Lightweight spring strut axle (McPherson type), all suspension mountings ball-jointed
Rear axle Lightweight multi-link suspension with wheels independently suspended on five links, all suspension mountings ball-jointed
Just FYI to all interested in continuing education ... http://cartechstuff.blogspot.com/201...im-joints.html

Quick Reply: Key secret why 991.2 GT3 RS will post some great lap times