Key secret why 991.2 GT3 RS will post some great lap times

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2018, 09:57 PM
porscheflat6
Drifting

Received 225 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by Kaizu
The improved suspension and aero is a benefit, but here comes the key reason:

"For the first time, specially developed race track tyres are available for the new 911 GT3 RS separately. While these tyres are also road-legal, they place even more focus on maximum track performance."

Source: https://www.porsche.com/internationa...hassis/wheels/

Does this mean they are an option as they're not standard but "are available"? That would be doing it the same way as for example AMG GTR. That car comes with Michelin Cup2's, however, you can somehow opt for "track spec" Cup2's which is a more grippier tire for track use and is part of the reason why AMG GTR posted great lap times in 2017. This is not a rumour, for example Sport Auto magazine in Germany did some track tests with both set of Cup2s in the GTR, showing the special ones are quicker.

These "special" Cup2s of the AMG GTR have not been available from the car's option list, but can be somehow ordered separately from Mercedes. Maybe the reason for this silliness is the car has been approved for emissions and noise standards only with the ordinary Cup2s and no tiny deviation would be allowed due to VAG dieselgate etc. Looks like same with GT3 RS?

A bit same goes for Huracan Performante, in all the tests the car is equipped with Trofeo R's, however you cannot spec the Trofeo R's from the option list at all, even though Pirelli and Lambo itself has made press releases about the specially developed Trofeo R for the Performante: https://www.pirelli.com/global/en-ww...urgring-record

So, Sub 7 at the Ring with GT3 RS is quite certain with these special tires (also the new smoother track surface of 2018 will definitely help).

Btw. I loved for example the 996 GT3 RS, each of those cars were lightweight spec track beasts with pure RS heritage and no room for excess luxury. If you saw a GT3 RS back then at a track day you immediately knew those cars meant business with their perlon bucket seats, full cages and often with at least radio if not air/con deletes! Today I'm not entirely a fan that for the first time in the history of GT3 RS there can be a measurable performance difference depending on the spec. In my view, Porsche could leave the more luxury stuff for GT3 and Turbo models and keep RS as a hardcore brand, but sure if customers want more options it's better to provide them. Anyways, just consider the following difference, if a RS WP stripper model with the fast special tires is compared to a luxurious RS with:
- Slower tires
- no WP package +18kg
- no titanium roll cage, but normal one +12kg
- no Magnesium wheels +12kg
- no PCCB, but steel brakes +15kg
- No bucket seats, but comfort seats +30kg (btw for weight geeks, aren't the folding buckets lighter than full buckets due to no motor for height adjustment )
- no radio and nav delete, but bose system +20kg
- no air-con delete +15kg
- front-lift added +10kg
- led lights added +5kg
+ all random small adds, reversing camera, sport chrono, light package, garage opener etc. +5kg easily

These weights are estimates, but it's approx 140 kg of difference (310 lbs!) in the total sum. Quite the difference between two GT3 RSs that look quite the same.

P.S. Not anyway hating the 991.2 GT3 RS, but considering trying to get one...
interesting thought and love your perspective.
Old 03-09-2018, 10:54 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,770 Likes on 4,771 Posts

Originally Posted by Raghu
I wish someone will equip the .1 RS (already has light weight lithium battery and magnesium hood) with BBS magnesium wheels and new RS special Cup2's, Bilstein cup shocks and tune and do an honest comparison of Nurburing lap times with the .2 RS that is similarly equipped. The cost of upgrade on the .1 RS might be less than the cost of trading in the .1 RS and buying the .2 RS. Just a thought.
The .2 (like all 911 refresh/facelifts) is more than the sum of its parts. Plus, OEM warranty.
Old 03-09-2018, 11:09 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,148 Likes on 566 Posts

Originally Posted by Kaizu
The improved suspension and aero is a benefit, but here comes the key reason:

"For the first time, specially developed race track tyres are available for the new 911 GT3 RS separately. While these tyres are also road-legal, they place even more focus on maximum track performance."

Source: https://www.porsche.com/internationa...hassis/wheels/

Does this mean they are an option as they're not standard but "are available"? That would be doing it the same way as for example AMG GTR. That car comes with Michelin Cup2's, however, you can somehow opt for "track spec" Cup2's which is a more grippier tire for track use and is part of the reason why AMG GTR posted great lap times in 2017. This is not a rumour, for example Sport Auto magazine in Germany did some track tests with both set of Cup2s in the GTR, showing the special ones are quicker.

These "special" Cup2s of the AMG GTR have not been available from the car's option list, but can be somehow ordered separately from Mercedes. Maybe the reason for this silliness is the car has been approved for emissions and noise standards only with the ordinary Cup2s and no tiny deviation would be allowed due to VAG dieselgate etc. Looks like same with GT3 RS?

A bit same goes for Huracan Performante, in all the tests the car is equipped with Trofeo R's, however you cannot spec the Trofeo R's from the option list at all, even though Pirelli and Lambo itself has made press releases about the specially developed Trofeo R for the Performante: https://www.pirelli.com/global/en-ww...urgring-record

So, Sub 7 at the Ring with GT3 RS is quite certain with these special tires (also the new smoother track surface of 2018 will definitely help).

Btw. I loved for example the 996 GT3 RS, each of those cars were lightweight spec track beasts with pure RS heritage and no room for excess luxury. If you saw a GT3 RS back then at a track day you immediately knew those cars meant business with their perlon bucket seats, full cages and often with at least radio if not air/con deletes! Today I'm not entirely a fan that for the first time in the history of GT3 RS there can be a measurable performance difference depending on the spec. In my view, Porsche could leave the more luxury stuff for GT3 and Turbo models and keep RS as a hardcore brand, but sure if customers want more options it's better to provide them. Anyways, just consider the following difference, if a RS WP stripper model with the fast special tires is compared to a luxurious RS with:
- Slower tires
- no WP package +18kg
- no titanium roll cage, but normal one +12kg
- no Magnesium wheels +12kg
- no PCCB, but steel brakes +15kg
- No bucket seats, but comfort seats +30kg (btw for weight geeks, aren't the folding buckets lighter than full buckets due to no motor for height adjustment )
- no radio and nav delete, but bose system +20kg
- no air-con delete +15kg
- front-lift added +10kg
- led lights added +5kg
+ all random small adds, reversing camera, sport chrono, light package, garage opener etc. +5kg easily

These weights are estimates, but it's approx 140 kg of difference (310 lbs!) in the total sum. Quite the difference between two GT3 RSs that look quite the same.

P.S. Not anyway hating the 991.2 GT3 RS, but considering trying to get one...
The tires are definitely an easy way to "win" comparisons or fake progress - Corvette started it with MPSC2 tires that have no tread and last one day, then GT R (same trick MPSC2), then Huracan with "bespoke" tropheos, so I guess it's Porsche's turn to play this game. But unlike others, Porsche is making a claim that these fast tires will last as much as the more street-friendly ones. If this proves true, that would be much better than what others did, although still an exaggeration of the progress.

By the way, where are the weights in the table above coming from? They seem awfully exaggerated. For example, the old front lift was 7kg, and the new one is "almost 50% lighter", which would make it 3.5-4kg, not 10kg. Also, LED lights are lighter than PDLS, not heavier. Also, 18kg loss for WP already includes wheels (it's 13lbs or 5.5kg loss without mag wheels). Don't know about exact weights of seats, but my comfort seat is light enough to lift easily with one arm, no more than 20kg, probably 15kg, so it's impossible for the difference between buckets and comforts to be 30kg because that would mean buckets weigh nothing. So check your numbers.
Old 03-09-2018, 11:56 PM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Received 810 Likes on 424 Posts

I wish someone will equip the .1 RS (already has light weight lithium battery and magnesium hood) with BBS magnesium wheels and new RS special Cup2's, Bilstein cup shocks and tune and do an honest comparison of Nurburing lap times with the .2 RS that is similarly equipped. The cost of upgrade on the .1 RS might be less than the cost of trading in the .1 RS and buying the .2 RS. Just a thought.
Its clear to me the improvements are incremental at best. Main improvement is the 20 extra hp and new mpsc. Put headers, BBi suspension package and new mpsc tires on .1RS it is easily faster than .2.

Arsthetics are similar and not worth any change in my book but add the WP that is the main draw for me.

Old 03-10-2018, 12:29 AM
RennOracle
Pro

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Waxer

Its clear to me the improvements are incremental at best. Main improvement is the 20 extra hp and new mpsc. Put headers, BBi suspension package and new mpsc tires on .1RS it is easily faster than .2.

Arsthetics are similar and not worth any change in my book but add the WP that is the main draw for me.

You won't be. Manthey did a lot better upgrades to the 991 RS (full kw competition, mag wheels, aero upgrade and some more bits and bobs, on a stripper car) and the new one will be significantly better and easier to be faster while being even more fun/tactile. Upgrading 4 things to 20% betterment has a different result to upgrading 100 things 5%.
Old 03-10-2018, 01:39 AM
Raghu
Pro

Received 181 Likes on 87 Posts
Default Warranty remains intact

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
The .2 (like all 911 refresh/facelifts) is more than the sum of its parts. Plus, OEM warranty.

A tune can can be reflashed and returned to OEM. The rest (shocks, magnesium wheels and Michelin tires) do not void warranty.

Old 03-10-2018, 01:55 AM
Petevb
Rennlist Member

Received 704 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by Waxer
Its clear to me the improvements are incremental at best. Main improvement is the 20 extra hp and new mpsc.
Relative to previous .2 versions this one appears a significantly larger improvement; I’ll bet heavily that the clock will reflect that. The very substantial suspension rework, massive absolute increase in downforce along with big weight reduction are all far more important for track work than any fractional power increase. Keep in mind that Cup cars often run less power than their street counterparts.

From a street-car point of view I can see how these changes would be underwhelming. From a track use perspective the changes look anything but inceremental to me, and attempting to match them with a .1 would be largely cost-prohibitive. Power’s cheap. Proper suspension and aero much less so, and that’s far rarer in the aftermarket than most appreciate.
Old 03-10-2018, 02:09 AM
signes
Rennlist Member

Received 619 Likes on 407 Posts

Agree about the importance of suspension improvements, aero and tires but I don't see a significant reduction in weight compared to the .1 apart from mg wheels.)
Old 03-10-2018, 03:03 AM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 621 Likes on 433 Posts

I assume the .2 GT3RS suspension could be retrofitted to a .1 GT3RS, and for that matter, a GT3.
Old 03-10-2018, 08:01 AM
rosenbergendo
Drifting

Received 611 Likes on 295 Posts

Willing to bet the new tires make up 75% of the difference on most tracks. Also at a track like Sebring the softer sprung RS.1 may have advantages in some corners like 18.
Old 03-10-2018, 08:31 AM
Jrtaylor9
Rennlist Member

Received 1,094 Likes on 541 Posts

Unlikely because after those mods are done to the .1rs, the car is worth less. And the .2rs will always cary that upgrade premium going forward. It is a difference of capital outlay but the spread in the two cars will be there for the foreseeable future. U aren't losing that money (unless u r paying crazy adm).
Old 03-10-2018, 09:27 AM
Raghu
Pro

Originally Posted by Jrtaylor9
Unlikely because after those mods are done to the .1rs, the car is worth less. And the .2rs will always cary that upgrade premium going forward. It is a difference of capital outlay but the spread in the two cars will be there for the foreseeable future. U aren't losing that money (unless u r paying crazy adm).
The .1 RS will not be depreciate just due to the mods because the Bilstein shocks and springs can be returned to OEM, flash can be returned to OEM, BBS magnesium wheels and the new rubber can be returned to OEM. None of these are really mods. They are upgrades, just like the .2 RS is an upgrade from the factory for an uncharge of about $45,000 (The one that I put through the configurator was $243,000). It could be conjectured that the BBS magnesium wheels and new rubber would be very desirable at resale of the .1 RS for most people. The light weight lithium battery is already OEM in the .1 RS so there are no warranty issues there either. If I feel that, performance wise, I am squeezing everything out of the .1 RS as it is (which I am not really), I would consider making these changes. The bigger problem is going to be one off getting a .2 RS at MSRP. That is going to be unlikely for most of us. The ADM's for allocations are already starting at $50k-$100K. At that price, if one performed even crazy modifications (which none of us are suggesting) that makes the .1 RS equal to or better than .2 RS and voids the warranty, upon engine failure one could install a .2 RS engine and still come out ahead of the $45K price difference and additional $50K-$100K ADM ($100K-$150K net difference).
In short, it may be best to get a .1 RS like you want (there are many on the market) or keep the one you already have and drive it a lot and have fun and buy a vacation condo, a MT .2 GT3 or a plane with the money you save and enjoy that also! I am, by no means, giving out lifestyle or financial advice nor am I suggesting that the .2 RS is not a capable track machine. I am simply saying that the increment in gains achieved through the purchase of a .2 RS (sum of the parts, as some have suggested) may be achieved with a .1 RS (and the sum of its parts) without breaking the bank. I agree with some who have speculated that there may very well be an uptick in the market value of the .1 RS, thanks to the .2 RS.
Old 03-10-2018, 09:28 AM
Raghu
Pro

PS: The magnesium wheels are not going to be available this year on the .2 RS. They are available through BBS for the .1 RS.
Old 03-10-2018, 09:52 AM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Received 810 Likes on 424 Posts

Originally Posted by rosenbergendo
Willing to bet the new tires make up 75% of the difference on most tracks. Also at a track like Sebring the softer sprung RS.1 may have advantages in some corners like 18.
^ This exactly.
Guys, it’s a refresh. 20 more horses w/ 0 more torque. All PAG did was put in stiffer springs and softer sways. This is like the emporer has no clothes. Manthey does far more and PAG does far less but PAGs RS is still faster? Ok, if you say so.

Who had had brake cooling issues on .1RS? I do like the NACA duct look though.
Aero looks the same to me. My eyes work fine last I checked. minor styling change. .1RS had near Cup down force already.
Body is the same. I like the .1 side vent intakes better. Likely those and front fender vents are pop in n replacements.

.2GT3 did 7:12 with less aero same power, same springs and dampers with better tires and dry track than the .1RS. The .1RS will best that time with dry track and the better tires. My guess by 5 seconds.

.2GT3RS will be just under 7. My bet.
Put headers and BBi suspension with the better tires .1RS is faster still.

yes stock for stock the new car is faster. Mainly due to tires and bump in push power.
Old 03-10-2018, 10:19 AM
Gravs
Three Wheelin'

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by GrantG
Height adjustment is hugely useful to increase helmet room beyond folding buckets...
Surely one would sit at the bottom anyway?

Quick Reply: Key secret why 991.2 GT3 RS will post some great lap times