Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R (https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-gt3rs-gt2rs-and-911r-229/)
-   -   XPEL Tracwrap for Euro Delivery, anyone have any experience with it? (https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-gt3rs-gt2rs-and-911r/1054985-xpel-tracwrap-for-euro-delivery-anyone-have-any-experience-with-it.html)

sampelligrino 03-03-2018 09:44 PM

XPEL Tracwrap for Euro Delivery, anyone have any experience with it?

Tried searching around online, and couldn't find much information about XPEL's Tracwrap.... Anyone have experience with it? Was it easy to install and remove?

I am thinking about buying some and doing a quick job on the front, rockers, and wheel arches after picking up my GT3 in Zuffenhausen to just shield the paint prior to full monty PPF stateside. Still debating between leaving the paint naked for 2.5 weeks while we drive across Europe versus just getting some protection on the car. I'll be taking photos of the car in hopefully gorgeous scenery, so I'm still conflicted as I doubt I'll be doing an expert installation of the film on the car.

Drifting 03-03-2018 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by sampelligrino (Post 14845056)
Tried searching around online, and couldn't find much information about XPEL's Tracwrap.... Anyone have experience with it? Was it easy to install and remove?

I am thinking about buying some and doing a quick job on the front, rockers, and wheel arches after picking up my GT3 in Zuffenhausen to just shield the paint prior to full monty PPF stateside. Still debating between leaving the paint naked for 2.5 weeks while we drive across Europe versus just getting some protection on the car. I'll be taking photos of the car in hopefully gorgeous scenery, so I'm still conflicted as I doubt I'll be doing an expert installation of the film on the car.

i have the exact same question for my ED this fall.

oslermarine 03-03-2018 10:19 PM

I used it recently for driving a car 300 miles after purchase. It comes in strips that you will need to cut with some heavy duty scissors. Easy to apply and take off. One side has a mild adhesive. Not the prettiest solution but does a good job protecting the car.

Andial 03-03-2018 11:34 PM

Yes and yes.

1963SWC 03-04-2018 01:40 AM

Trakktape was used on my car by the previous owner and there is no sign of it having ever been applied/removed. Check it out; they have a good website, product is sold on Amazon, and looks simple.

GrantG 03-04-2018 05:12 AM

I used it for ED with my GT4 and was very pleased

signes 03-04-2018 11:51 AM

I saw other guys use it during ED and had no issue removing it. Just takes forever to apply and doesn't look very good (if that matters to you.)

I went naked for close to two weeks - >2500 miles and 3 track days and no issues. Even wound up on some gravel stretches of mountains roads (unexpected construction) in the rain. No issues. Honestly had more trouble with some scuffs during shipping home that the wrap wouldn't have helped with.

sampelligrino 03-04-2018 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by GrantG (Post 14845523)
I used it for ED with my GT4 and was very pleased

Good to hear!! Thanks for sharing. I might buy some and do a test run on my Model X here to see how "well" I can install it and what it looks like...

Originally Posted by oslermarine (Post 14845108)
I used it recently for driving a car 300 miles after purchase. It comes in strips that you will need to cut with some heavy duty scissors. Easy to apply and take off. One side has a mild adhesive. Not the prettiest solution but does a good job protecting the car.

yeah it's the "look" part that is scaring me

Originally Posted by signes (Post 14845891)
I saw other guys use it during ED and had no issue removing it. Just takes forever to apply and doesn't look very good (if that matters to you.)

I went naked for close to two weeks - >2500 miles and 3 track days and no issues. Even wound up on some gravel stretches of mountains roads (unexpected construction) in the rain. No issues. Honestly had more trouble with some scuffs during shipping home that the wrap wouldn't have helped with.

That is confidence inspiring, sub shooter (big euro delivery guy) also took his '18 C4 "naked" around his trip with no issues either. The look part does scare me since I'll be taking as many pics of the car as I can when not driving.

Originally Posted by 1963SWC (Post 14845402)
Trakktape was used on my car by the previous owner and there is no sign of it having ever been applied/removed. Check it out; they have a good website, product is sold on Amazon, and looks simple.

I'll check it out, thanks for the recommendation. XPEL's Tracwrap is what is recommended by my PPF installer.

Homeles 03-04-2018 04:19 PM

Let me know how it works. Have 2 deliveries this year in Germany.

scooteria681 03-05-2018 06:13 PM

budge road wrap. comes in a couple different sizes up to 18" i think. a heck of a lot cheaper and works great unless you gotta have the most expensive stuff. used it many times on the track.

XPEL 03-13-2018 02:58 PM

XPEL

Originally Posted by sampelligrino (Post 14845056)

Hello all,

TRACWRAP by XPEL will be the best way to protect your paint in every temporary situation, including ED. TRACWRAP is 8.5 mil thick which is as thick as our regular ULTIMATE product, and it's extremely durable especially when compared to the alternative being blue painters tape. -

TRACWRAP is available in various widths and lengths and can be installed wet or dry.

Additionally, if you're a PCA Member, we offer 20% off on all TRACWRAP orders.

To order, go to http://xpel.com/tracwrap and select which size you want and use Promo Code "PCA" at checkout. If the code doesn't work, you may also call us at 210-678-3700 and order over the phone. Be sure to mention you're a PCA member.

Hope this info helps, and let us know if we can answer any further questions.

sampelligrino 03-13-2018 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by XPEL (Post 14866653)
Hello all,

TRACWRAP by XPEL will be the best way to protect your paint in every temporary situation, including ED. TRACWRAP is 8.5 mil thick which is as thick as our regular ULTIMATE product, and it's extremely durable especially when compared to the alternative being blue painters tape. - Tracwrap VS Blue Painters Tape.

TRACWRAP is available in various widths and lengths and can be installed wet or dry.

To order, go to http://xpel.com/tracwrap and select which size you want and use Promo Code "PCA" at checkout. If the code doesn't work, you may also call us at 210-678-3700 and order over the phone. Be sure to mention you're a PCA member.

Thanks for posting, I actually called that number and spoke to a sales associate over the phone yesterday

She said that the car needed to be wet for installation (aka bring an empty spray bottle from US to Germany), but you are saying it can be installed dry?

I am going the tracwrap route for my euro delivery and hoping I can make the install invisible for pictures of the car in gorgeous scenery..

robmypro 03-13-2018 04:59 PM

It took me a couple hours to wrap mine before going to the track. I took my time and it still came out looking pretty rough. But it did protect the paint. Be careful with the headlights, as it could cause a slight delamination. I think some guys apply something to the lights to act as a film, so it doesn’t happen. Can’t remember what it was. Good solution.

drdonger 03-13-2018 05:11 PM

Hello all,

TRACWRAP by XPEL will be the best way to protect your paint in every temporary situation, including ED. TRACWRAP is 8.5 mil thick which is as thick as our regular ULTIMATE product, and it's extremely durable especially when compared to the alternative being blue painters tape. - Tracwrap VS Blue Painters Tape.

Is it safe to use on our headlights with the delamination issue?

IPSA 03-13-2018 06:44 PM

Hello all,

Can this be used on headlights that otherwise should not be "wrapped" .

Cheers