Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

XPEL Tracwrap for Euro Delivery, anyone have any experience with it?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2018, 09:38 AM
XPEL
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 70 Likes on 37 Posts
Default TRACWRAP

Originally Posted by sampelligrino
Thanks for posting, I actually called that number and spoke to a sales associate over the phone yesterday

She said that the car needed to be wet for installation (aka bring an empty spray bottle from US to Germany), but you are saying it can be installed dry?

I am going the tracwrap route for my euro delivery and hoping I can make the install invisible for pictures of the car in gorgeous scenery..
I apologize for the miscommunication, but yes TRACWRAP can be installed DRY or WET. Wet can sometimes be easier to move the film around but dry will work just fine so don't worry about bringing a bottle over there. Just make sure the surface is clean (you can use a wash or even isopropyl alcohol to clean/prep the surface).

Originally Posted by drdonger
Is it safe to use on our headlights with the delamination issue?
To answer the questions on if it's okay for headlights, my answer is no. We've seen the delamination issues with 911, Cayman, and Boxster only, even though this film has a honeycomb air channel adhesive that makes it very easy to remove, I still would avoid putting on the headlights just in case.

Old 03-14-2018, 10:38 AM
mongolikecandy
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

timely post, i'm doing ED in april and this was my tentative plan. I'm going all in and skipping the wrap until i get back
Old 03-14-2018, 05:12 PM
sampelligrino
Drifting

Received 457 Likes on 272 Posts

Originally Posted by mongolikecandy
timely post, i'm doing ED in april and this was my tentative plan. I'm going all in and skipping the wrap until i get back
Same, when is your ED date? Mine is early April and I'll be in Germany/Switzerland/France/Italy if you'll be in those areas during that time, would be cool for some pics
Old 03-14-2018, 05:13 PM
mongolikecandy
Rennlist Member

april 27 is the PU date! yours?
Old 03-14-2018, 05:20 PM
sampelligrino
Drifting

Too bad, mine is April 3! Wanted to go later in April but with my build date in early Jan I pushed it out as far as I could... I guess I'll report back with my tracwrap experience. I'm coming prepared with two different sizes for the rockers/hood/bumper etc and I'll bring a spray bottle just to try and make the install as smooth as possible.
Old 06-02-2018, 12:45 PM
jdedeux
Advanced

Originally Posted by XPEL
Hello all,

TRACWRAP by XPEL will be the best way to protect your paint in every temporary situation, including ED. TRACWRAP is 8.5 mil thick which is as thick as our regular ULTIMATE product, and it's extremely durable especially when compared to the alternative being blue painters tape. - Tracwrap VS Blue Painters Tape.

TRACWRAP is available in various widths and lengths and can be installed wet or dry.

Additionally, if you're a PCA Member, we offer 20% off on all TRACWRAP orders.

To order, go to http://xpel.com/tracwrap and select which size you want and use Promo Code "PCA" at checkout. If the code doesn't work, you may also call us at 210-678-3700 and order over the phone. Be sure to mention you're a PCA member.

Hope this info helps, and let us know if we can answer any further questions.
need to make the 500 mile trip home after picking up my gts next week. Thinking of using this before ppf. How much of it do I need for a one time use? Assuming I cover all the sensitive areas prone to damage while driving on highway. I see a 4x20 roll on the XPEL website, is that enough?? Thank you.
Old 06-02-2018, 12:55 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,708 Likes on 2,685 Posts

Originally Posted by jdedeux

need to make the 500 mile trip home after picking up my gts next week. Thinking of using this before ppf. How much of it do I need for a one time use? Assuming I cover all the sensitive areas prone to damage while driving on highway. I see a 4x20 roll on the XPEL website, is that enough?? Thank you.
I’d get more (and some wider stuff too for things like frunk)
Old 06-02-2018, 01:05 PM
gunnyosu
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Tried searching around online, and couldn't find much information about XPEL's Tracwrap.... Anyone have experience with it? Was it easy to install and remove?

I am thinking about buying some and doing a quick job on the front, rockers, and wheel arches after picking up my GT3 in Zuffenhausen to just shield the paint prior to full monty PPF stateside. Still debating between leaving the paint naked for 2.5 weeks while we drive across Europe versus just getting some protection on the car. I'll be taking photos of the car in hopefully gorgeous scenery, so I'm still conflicted as I doubt I'll be doing an expert installation of the film on the car.
I used Tracwrap when I picked up my .1 GT3 3yrs ago - had a 600mi drive from an out-of-state dealer I picked it up from. I would not hesitate to use it again. I have also used Trakktape as well as gaffers and painter's tape. I have found Tracwrap to be superior to those other options. Easy to work with, very clear, significant degree of protection, stayed on even during rain. Of note there were a few small areas that some adhesive was left behind following removal but was very easy to remove with a finger. Of note, for headlights, I would only use gaffers or painters tape due to risk of delamination.

Congrats on your ED! (the good kind) ;p
Old 06-03-2018, 04:05 PM
sampelligrino
Drifting

As an overdue update - I threw caution out the window and my GT3 saw rain, dirt, snow, sun, salt in the air from being close to the ocean, 150 MPH on the autobahn, a Ring lap etc for over 4000 KMs of driving over nearly two weeks last month with no PPF or temporary paint protection

I bought the Tracwrap, but I knew right away when it arrived that I would not be able to install it "well" on my car. It would look more like those covered couches in the 70s and 80s IMO, very tough to make it "invisible" which was a firm requirement for me. It was more important for me to just enjoy the car in Europe and to take amazing pictures for memories than fret about the paint...my car will never be in those areas again!

IMO the Tracwrap solution is great for track days or for driving your car off the lot to your detailer or for a road trip as a temporary thing if you don't care about the looks. Just my 2 cents
Old 06-03-2018, 04:20 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

Your Car is now worthless.
Just park it somewhere and take the plates of.
Old 06-03-2018, 04:35 PM
sampelligrino
Drifting

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Your Car is now worthless.
Just park it somewhere and take the plates of.

I'll go ahead and start the inevitable "will it hurt my GT3's resale value if I dont use temporary PPF" thread
Old 06-21-2018, 10:14 AM
bcgreen
Pro

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts

My question is which would look better, Xpel or ProtectNPell?
Old 06-21-2018, 11:02 AM
Christian in Atl
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bcgreen
My question is which would look better, Xpel or ProtectNPell?
I recently tested Protect'n Peel as an alternative to using Tracwrap during my upcoming ED. While Protect'n Peel is much easier to apply and will look much better, I discovered that it completely disintegrates in the rain. I got caught in a storm and the product started coming off while driving. It looked like I had run over a huge white plastic bag. I definitely would not recommend it for a long journey where it will most likely rain at some point. Perhaps it should be used mostly for a single track day or AX session.
Old 06-21-2018, 11:30 AM
bcgreen
Pro

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Christian in Atl
I recently tested Protect'n Peel as an alternative to using Tracwrap during my upcoming ED. While Protect'n Peel is much easier to apply and will look much better, I discovered that it completely disintegrates in the rain. I got caught in a storm and the product started coming off while driving. It looked like I had run over a huge white plastic bag. I definitely would not recommend it for a long journey where it will most likely rain at some point. Perhaps it should be used mostly for a single track day or AX session.
I've been reading alot on the different films and I think I read somewhere that if it does get wet it will clear up once it dries. Maybe this was on another film.
Old 06-21-2018, 12:06 PM
Perimeter
Rennlist Member

Received 328 Likes on 219 Posts

Overdue?
as in all those trip photos you promised ....
As an overdue update -

I threw caution out the window and my GT3 saw rain, dirt, snow, sun, salt in the air from being close to the ocean, 150 MPH on the autobahn, a Ring lap etc for over 4000 KMs of driving over nearly two weeks last month with no PPF or temporary paint protection
I bought the Tracwrap, but I knew right away when it arrived that I would not be able to install it "well" on my car. It would look more like those covered couches in the 70s and 80s IMO, very tough to make it "invisible" which was a firm requirement for me. It was more important for me to just enjoy the car in Europe and to take amazing pictures for memories than fret about the paint...my car will never be in those areas again!
IMO the Tracwrap solution is great for track days or for driving your car off the lot to your detailer or for a road trip as a temporary thing if you don't care about the looks. Just my 2 cents

Quick Reply: XPEL Tracwrap for Euro Delivery, anyone have any experience with it?