Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I need a shrink, and some advice...

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2018, 04:40 PM
wmond
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts
Default I need a shrink, and some advice...

I know folks here are good at sharing advice, need some input:

Bad news is my long hoped for allocation is gone, no more cars this year as everyone already knows (even though i was hoping there would be one left for me). Nobody to blame, it is what it is; and this is a 1st world problem to be sure, i only want this car, do not NEED it, if you know what i mean (and my current 991 C2S is still fun for me).

Good news (and hence my request for input) is that i have a line on 2 other cars, both have the very basic specs that i want (keeping it simple i need pdk, buckets, steel brakes), but neither is exactly what i would build: 1 very very lightly optioned ($161k sticker) brand new from a dealer, asking $20k adm; and the other a nicely optioned ($172k original sticker) that has about $8k of aftermarket stuff (rahal exhaust, full xpel ppf, etc.) with 2500 miles, asking $180k for it, from some guy I don't know that is getting into a GT2RS (and is not on this forum, says it was never tracked, just purchased in November 2017, clean carfax). color's are irrelevant to me (hint, they are one of the colors on the configurator).

Basically choice is for $180k, do i get a brand new stripper from a dealer, or a very lightly used but better build with solid extras from some guy (who appears to be legit and is known at least to the dealer that he purchased it from). I admit I'm a bit nervous to buy a car this expensive from a guy I don't know, but that must happen all the time, and I can make sure I'm not paying him before i get his clean title. My guess is I would be ecstatic with either car.

Thoughts, advice, humorous anecdotes? Thanks in advance.
Old 03-02-2018, 04:55 PM
pranqster
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 31 Posts

The used vehicle has a lot of desirable items and has remainder of factory warranty. You can get the dealer he purchased it from to run a DME check to see if there are any overrevs. That might let you know how it was driven during the 2500 miles.

You could pay additional and run the sale through the dealer, It might cost you $500.00 to run the purchase through them, but you might be able to pay to have it CPO'd for $1500.00 to $2,000.00 (instead of the $500.00) and then you would have a seven year warranty.

I vote used.

Pranqster
Old 03-02-2018, 04:58 PM
sampelligrino
Drifting

Received 457 Likes on 272 Posts

I would go with your gut here, since we don't really know the specifics of specs on each car etc.... You will be in the best position to decide which is the right purchase for yourself, at this price point for this amount of cash go with what you think you will enjoy/like the most

That being said I personally go with the brand new one assuming it meets the basic specs you need, I like to do break in myself if I can and enjoy a new car purchase. Also that way I can be picky about the PPF installation and don't care for the aftermarket stuff. YMMV
Old 03-02-2018, 05:07 PM
FRP||
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Keep in mind this is a win/win situation. Buying new is great and all but these alternatives.. you're looking at technically new or more or less new on one of the worlds best cars. You literally can't lose.
Old 03-02-2018, 05:10 PM
Ascend
Three Wheelin'

Received 315 Likes on 179 Posts

How lightly optioned is the 161k one?

As long as it has FALS and LWB, I would go for the new one.
Old 03-02-2018, 05:11 PM
wmond
Racer

Thanks both, ppf was put on by a very reputable installer, I'm confident it is well done. Was planning on getting a pre-purchase inspection done at a dealer, for $300, and find out what fault codes exist, if any, engine revs, etc. I like the idea of seeing if I could run that purchase through a dealer, plus add a CPO. All good ideas. But I agree, nice to be the only owner; although also nice to get a 180k car for about 180k, and not +$20k adm. I knew I could count on you guys.
Old 03-02-2018, 05:15 PM
wmond
Racer

Originally Posted by Ascend
How lightly optioned is the 161k one?

As long as it has FALS and LWB, I would go for the new one.
The stripper does not have FAL, but I'm on the fence about the need for it anyway. Nice to have, but not a must have for me. Both are LWB. Both are good colors. Stripper is missing the extended range fuel tank, which i'm not crazy about but then i think that i have DE'd my C2S with a 16.9 gallon tank and it was fine, GT3 will be fine also, and i cna always run out at lunch to top it off. Generally in the no lose position here. Now that this is real, boy, this is a lot of money for a car, right? Nice to be able to afford it, but wowee.
Old 03-02-2018, 05:21 PM
sampelligrino
Drifting

Received 457 Likes on 272 Posts

Originally Posted by wmond
The stripper does not have FAL, but I'm on the fence about the need for it anyway. Nice to have, but not a must have for me. Both are LWB. Both are good colors. Stripper is missing the extended range fuel tank, which i'm not crazy about but then i think that i have DE'd my C2S with a 16.9 gallon tank and it was fine, GT3 will be fine also, and i cna always run out at lunch to top it off. Generally in the no lose position here. Now that this is real, boy, this is a lot of money for a car, right? Nice to be able to afford it, but wowee.
Give us the full specs if you can, that could change things
Old 03-02-2018, 05:25 PM
reacher
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

I wouldn't buy a car without a lift. I've needed it more times than I can count.
Old 03-02-2018, 05:29 PM
ScratchTheItch
Racer

Received 150 Likes on 53 Posts

I can't promise it's still available but a broker offered me this build for a black PDK ($171k build) for $14k over. Happy to ask him if it's still available if you want it. Could be a good middle ground.

2018 Porsche 911 GT3

Extended Range Fuel Tank, 23.7 gal
Porsche Ceramic Composite Brake (PCCB)
Front axle lift system
Luggage net in passenger footwell
Smoking package
Light Design Package
Leather/Alcantara
Floor Mats
Steering Wheel and Manual Gear Lever or PDK Gear Selector in Black Leather
9VL
Bose
A1
Black
EFA
Pedals and footrest in Aluminum
EKG
Carbon Fiber Interior Package i.c.w. Leather Interior
P11
Full bucket seats
P13
Auto-Dimming Mirrors with Integrated Rain Sensor
QH1
Voice Control
QR5
Sport Chrono Package incl. Porsche Track Precision App
XDK
Wheels Painted in Satin Black
XEY
LED Headlights in Black incl. Porsche Dynamic Light System Plus (PDLS+)
XHN
Seat belts in Racing Yellow
XJW
SportDesign Exterior Mirrors incl. Upper Housing in Carbon Fiber
XNS
Steering column casing in leather
XYB
Fuel Cap with Aluminum Look Finish
Old 03-02-2018, 05:52 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,384 Likes on 719 Posts

Given the 2 choices I would do my due diligence on the second one and if everything checks out i think that is the better value.

Basically - no ADM for a 2500 mile car or $20,000 for a (15) mile car.

Now- for example- I do not know if it is still happening but thru 2017 used GT4 cars were going at MSRP or say 5% below. So- the higher MSRPs (first hand Owners) were not really being hurt but they were also the most desirable because chances are they had LWBs/PCCBs.

So- the moral of my story is you have to assume the ADM is lost money so that is why I like the second scenario
Old 03-02-2018, 06:39 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,430 Likes on 2,243 Posts

used+CPO
Old 03-02-2018, 06:40 PM
Palting
Rennlist Member

Received 238 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by sampelligrino
I would go with your gut here, since we don't really know the specifics of specs on each car etc.... You will be in the best position to decide which is the right purchase for yourself, at this price point for this amount of cash go with what you think you will enjoy/like the most

That being said I personally go with the brand new one assuming it meets the basic specs you need, I like to do break in myself if I can and enjoy a new car purchase. Also that way I can be picky about the PPF installation and don't care for the aftermarket stuff. YMMV
I am with Sam on this one. You never know with a used car. Negotiate the ADM, get the new car, enjoy the newness of it, upgrade it however you want.
Old 03-02-2018, 06:55 PM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 621 Likes on 433 Posts

There will be plenty for sale going forward and I am sure you can find an allocation if you really want your ideal build.
Old 03-02-2018, 06:57 PM
vodavoda
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by pranqster
. You can get the dealer he purchased it from to run a DME check to see if there are any overrevs.
PDK, Why a DME?

You know the higher optioned sounds better, but tell me why the guy is selling at 180K? If it sounds to good to be true, it probably is. Plus if he's getting the GT2RS, I can't believe the dealer isn't giving him what he paid for the .2 in trade, since the dealer can ADM and profit, and it's a hell of a lot easier to trade it in then deal with the tire kickers. I'm guessing he has a good dealer relationship with multiple previous P-car purchases if he is one of the few to get the GT2RS. Makes no sense to me. Am I missing something here?

Quick Reply: I need a shrink, and some advice...