Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GT3: Tech a bit too much?

Old 03-02-2018, 12:49 PM
Palting
Rennlist Member

Received 237 Likes on 153 Posts
Default GT3: Tech a bit too much?

I took delivery last Tuesday, had a great time driving the car home the loooong way. Since then I've spent a lot of time trying to figure out the PCC. Choices, options, connections.............then I realized, what the heck am I doing? Tweeter? Weather? News? Airport flight? Who the heck cares! This is supposed to be a drivers car, not some techno geek car. Just junk all of that and give me a better track app. It doesn't help that the manual is organized alphabetically rather than by system. Aaaargh!

OTOH, as I type this I am reminded of the complaints way back when they first put cup holders on the 911. "Cup holders?! EGAD, they've ruined the soul of the 911!!" Or when they first came out with the Cayenne. "An SUV?! EGAD, they ruined the soul of Porsche!"

Oh well. Maybe I'm just an old fart gearhead.
Old 03-02-2018, 12:56 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,379 Likes on 718 Posts

^ Yep but just because it is there does not mean you need to use it. I did not even pair my phone to the car because I just do not want to be bothered while I am driving her. All I did was set like 8-10 radio stations and that is it- done. The only button I hit is for rev-matching. I even had the valves left permanently open so do not even have to hit the exhaust button
Old 03-02-2018, 01:32 PM
shapiroeric
Race Car

Received 546 Likes on 277 Posts

Having a 991 since late 2015 I've yet to figure it all out and probably never will.....
Old 03-02-2018, 01:38 PM
BlueGT3
Racer

Received 132 Likes on 52 Posts

I had the car out for 300 miles the other day, on work calls for about 1/3 of the drive. I think the Apple CarPlay is neat but the rest of it, honestly I don't bother to learn it. All of that crap I can get on my iPhone and I can't hear music over the engine anyway!!!
Old 03-02-2018, 01:49 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,857 Likes on 1,901 Posts

Meh, just don't use it. I've never used any of it in any of my sports cars. I've never once used the nav, never made a phone call through the car, never used Apple Car play, never even scrolled through the menus. The only thing I've ever done is sync'd my phone to the PCM so I can run Tidal through the radio. I have no interest in any of the tech gadgets, so I just don't use them. Doesn't bother me that they're there though.
Old 03-02-2018, 01:53 PM
Palting
Rennlist Member

Received 237 Likes on 153 Posts

Thanks, guys. Makes me feel better knowing I'm not the only one who finds this tech nonsense...well, nonsense.
Old 03-02-2018, 02:10 PM
DarkSideEwok
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

how many people actually did Radio Delete and A/C Delete when it was offered?

oh right, too afraid of resale value. a lot of tech, but that is what the majority of realistic buyers want..

these cars lost their soul with the 991 GT3 by becoming technical marvels and amazingly performing machines, but no longer the car that drivers can get their hands on - unless they are millionaires. hence the GT4 was as successful as it was.
Old 03-02-2018, 02:13 PM
R.Deacon
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Yup if it weren't for LEO , who needs a speedo , for me key info how much gas is in the tank , oil psi and temp all good , TPM a bonus but they've yet to get that to work for track duty , sat radio drives me nuts spend all my ocd time switching channels being frustrated with the programing , and phone calls slightly
awkward cause your sitting in a GT3 and the other end well , cann't be in a better spot .
Old 03-02-2018, 02:38 PM
SKY57
Instructor

I don't use the center screen on my sports cars very often... Just get in and drive.
Especially now we have the Apple CarPlay.... factory system is mostly ignored.
Old 03-02-2018, 02:53 PM
DutchGT3
Intermediate

As I will be using the car as a daily driver I absolutely do want all those features and I do use them on my current car. Just ignore them if you don't need them. I also plan to track the car plenty and don't have the luxury of getting two separate cars. I'd actually be quite annoyed if the car didn't come with all those features.
Old 03-02-2018, 05:12 PM
sampelligrino
Drifting

Received 457 Likes on 272 Posts

IMO I can see, especially when comparing the 991 GT3 to prior gens, how the current gen feels less pure of a driver's car and more accommodating/refined

That being said, for me I find that it strikes that balance beautifully on pure driver enjoyment and having "amenities" like Bose sound, rear view camera, bluetooth which are much appreciated, since I can't afford to have more than 1 911 in the garage for the time being...the mantra on the 911 is the everyday sports car
Old 03-02-2018, 05:29 PM
reacher
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Porsche has always been about making supercars you can live with on a daily basis. Just look at the 959 vs the F40. Same performance and a technological marvel, and all the amenities of the time. Radio, A/C, power windows/seats etc. You should applaud Porsche for being able to do both instead of just one thing.
Old 03-02-2018, 05:56 PM
DarkSideEwok
Instructor

but then you look at the 73 RS, 964 RS America, 996 MK1 and MK2 GT3, 996 GT2 - applauded for being drivers cars with little to NO tech.

the engineering in the motor and chassis refinement is really the marvel.
Old 03-02-2018, 06:08 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,379 Likes on 718 Posts

Originally Posted by sampelligrino
IMO I can see, especially when comparing the 991 GT3 to prior gens, how the current gen feels less pure of a driver's car and more accommodating/refined

That being said, for me I find that it strikes that balance beautifully on pure driver enjoyment and having "amenities" like Bose sound, rear view camera, bluetooth which are much appreciated, since I can't afford to have more than 1 911 in the garage for the time being...the mantra on the 911 is the everyday sports car
I still do not find the .2 GT3 Manual to feel less of a Driver's car than past generations. Just because the Suspension is more compliant, has Apple car play and Rearview camera does not take away from the sound of the engine and the use of three peddles. It's a better all around car but I think just because bumps do not crack your teeth/back should not take away from a pure driving experience. This car will still bite you back if you do not treat it with respect.
Old 03-02-2018, 06:14 PM
hayn911gt3
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D
^ Yep but just because it is there does not mean you need to use it. I did not even pair my phone to the car because I just do not want to be bothered while I am driving her. All I did was set like 8-10 radio stations and that is it- done. The only button I hit is for rev-matching. I even had the valves left permanently open so do not even have to hit the exhaust button
Hey Jimmy. How has the car been with the valves being left open all the time? It must sound like heaven. I'm probably going to do this too so the valves don't have to keep opening and closing all the time.....

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: GT3: Tech a bit too much?