Voters: 148. You may not vote on this poll

HPDE EVENTS WINDOWS UP/DOWN POLL

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2018, 01:28 PM
R.Deacon
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
Default HPDE EVENTS WINDOWS UP/DOWN POLL

Fellow DE Drivers vote your preference here for : windows up events using turning signal for passing directive or current procedure windows open with passing directive with arm out window
then share run group/car info if inclined
Old 03-01-2018, 02:12 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 137 Posts

I’ve done a DE weekend in the rain with a very light colored leather interior that was never the same again, and I am fearful of going off one of our local desert tracks and having dust fill every crevice of the interior.

But the reality is many DE participants are challenged by or too arrogant to follow the widely adopted point-by. To try and change it now will only lead to more confusion and possibly accidents, IMO.
Old 03-01-2018, 02:33 PM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 719 Likes on 394 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
I am fearful of going off one of our local desert tracks and having dust fill every crevice of the interior.
It takes a minimum of 6 hours the next day to clean out the majority of the desert dust. You will never get it all out. And the stuff in the air vents and on the back of the speedo dial will always be there.
Or so I've heard. . .
Old 03-01-2018, 02:44 PM
rshanholtz
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 67 Posts

To take this a step further, if signals are used (which I prefer with windows up), we should adopt the EU way of signaling while on the track. In Europe, the car in front signals in the direction he/she intends to move out of the way and the overtaking car goes to the other side to overtake. Generally by the way the car in front stays on line. Not always but mostly.
Old 03-01-2018, 02:48 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,721 Likes on 2,691 Posts

Originally Posted by rshanholtz
To take this a step further, if signals are used (which I prefer with windows up), we should adopt the EU way of signaling while on the track. In Europe, the car in front signals in the direction he/she intends to move out of the way and the overtaking car goes to the other side to overtake. Generally by the way the car in front stays on line. Not always but mostly.
+1000
Old 03-01-2018, 02:57 PM
Palting
Rennlist Member

Received 238 Likes on 153 Posts

I'm torn, actually. I like the rush of wind coming through the windows, the certainty and definitiveness of the arm out the window as a passing signal (when they do give it LOL). I also run with the AC off so that I get all available HP, and that is only possible with the windows down. But, the concerns raised in prior threads now biases me towards closed windows, so I voted for closed.
Old 03-01-2018, 03:00 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Palting
I'm torn, actually. I like the rush of wind coming through the windows, the certainty and definitiveness of the arm out the window as a passing signal (when they do give it LOL). I also run with the AC off so that I get all available HP, and that is only possible with the windows down. But, the concerns raised in prior threads now biases me towards closed windows, so I voted for closed.
Porsche has been bypassing the A/C compressor when you apply full throttle since the 944 Turbo of the mid-80's. No loss of power and very comfortable...
Old 03-01-2018, 03:01 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Palting
I am assuming those that wish to replace the point-by with turn signals are not mandating a windows-closed policy.
Old 03-01-2018, 03:05 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

I am assuming those that wish to replace the point-by with turn signals are not mandating a windows-closed policy.
Correct - feel free to keep your windows open if you want - just don't force others to do the same.
Old 03-01-2018, 03:15 PM
R.Deacon
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Perhaps a simple solution to content both preferences , those wishing to run ( here the states) with windows up: display a square /box shape (using the always available blue tape ) on the left side of the rear bumper to indicate to the approaching passing car that turn signals will be the visual communication for which side to overtake and per standard procedure to prevail, the car being overtaken STAYS ON LINE .
Old 03-01-2018, 03:32 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

^ IMO allowing both methods of signaling would be a disaster.
Old 03-01-2018, 03:33 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,314 Likes on 799 Posts

Originally Posted by rshanholtz
Generally by the way the car in front stays on line. Not always but mostly.
+1

Originally Posted by R.Deacon
...the car being overtaken STAYS ON LINE .
+1

You won't believe how many times, in the advanced group, I've seen cars go off line before giving a point by (since they didn't pay attention in the driver's meeting and are used to "left passing only" on some CCW tracks); or after giving a point by don't lift because the other car is faster and therefore must have more hp.
Old 03-01-2018, 04:39 PM
Palting
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by GrantG
Porsche has been bypassing the A/C compressor when you apply full throttle since the 944 Turbo of the mid-80's. No loss of power and very comfortable...
That's exactly what I mean. Windows are up, you're blasting away at full throttle most of the time, the AC therefore is effectively off. It can get pretty darn hot in there with the windows closed, say, VIR in August.

That's an idea. You can have a choice of window up or down, depending on comfort or preference. Everyone, though, should use turn signals as passing signals, so there is no confusion.
Old 03-01-2018, 07:43 PM
DaveGordon
Pro

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts

I can barely believe you have to put up with this nonsense; I see you in my mirror, indicate right to show you I am moving right, you pass on the left, and vice-versa. What is so complicated or dangerous about that?
Old 03-01-2018, 08:06 PM
Palting
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DaveGordon
I can barely believe you have to put up with this nonsense; I see you in my mirror, indicate right to show you I am moving right, you pass on the left, and vice-versa. What is so complicated or dangerous about that?
LOL. I'm sure you were not referring to me as the "you", but, here in the US, the clubs I've run with that use signal lights want the passee to signal which way the passer should go. So, if the car being passed flashes the left turn signal, the passer goes to that cars left and the passee stays in lane. Now, throw in a driver who came from ROW where it's the exact opposite, and also a US driver who only knows hand signals and didn't attend the drivers meeting,........well, the emergency crew will be very busy indeed! Then of course, the US is overpopulated with lawyers, a very litigious society, so rules are debated, discussed in committees, multiple lawyers consulted, before we can even decide to paperclip the papers or use a stapler just in case the thumb tack people want to sue.

Quick Reply: HPDE EVENTS WINDOWS UP/DOWN POLL