Voters: 148. You may not vote on this poll

HPDE EVENTS WINDOWS UP/DOWN POLL

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2018, 11:41 AM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,330 Likes on 810 Posts

Originally Posted by R.Deacon
^Spence if the DE procedure for passing here would follow/adopt EURO procedure , using the blinker the direction They intend to move towards and passing car go around the the opposite side of the blinker indicating , I get that , how does the situation work when the car being passed stays on line as mandated here
or most often in novice groups where pacing on straight aways and the lead car isn't moving left or right ? Thoughts anyone
For the "staying online" you indicate which side of the track your are staying on, moving to. If the line is one side or the other of the straight you blink the side you are staying on. If the line cuts across the width of the track your blinker indicates which way your are moving.
Old 03-03-2018, 12:00 PM
Palting
Rennlist Member

Received 238 Likes on 153 Posts

Most US DE events use the arm point by rule. You point where you want the passing car to go, and you stay on the preferred line. Now, having said that, there is still a lot of confusion on the track, particularly on the lower run groups, on where the preferred line is after a corner. Even if the organizers draw a map of the track! If we are to advocate using turn signals as point by, I would suggest maintaining the concept of the arm point by: signal where you want the passing car to go. That way, there is only one change in concept rather than 2. We Americans get confused enough as it is.
Old 03-03-2018, 12:30 PM
race7117
Burning Brakes

Received 91 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
I say that because half the time here are cars on track that use turn signals any way (Closed race cars, darkness) it should be no pro Allen to allow any car to drive with the windows closed and use a blinker to indicate a pass.

To me the European model makes more sense but one step at the time.

Let's just add one baby step to allow any car to drive with the windows closed, or windows down with arm out the window if you don't have turn signals or you prefer to point by with your arm for some reason. Everyone should be happy.

I completely disagree with all the reasons for driving with windows down;

I can hear a track worker yell with windows up just fine. If not he's too far away to do anything anyway.
The track worker isn't going to be pulling my 265lb 6'4" *** out of a window.
If glass needs to be cleaned up, it sweeps up with the kitty litter anyway.

It's all just stubborn BS. I'll seek out windows closed venues whenever possible. Personally don't care if you like to point by with windows down, just don't make me.
I agree 100% but I think this has more to t=do with the underwriting of the DEs I believe the insurance provider for PCA events won't cover unless these rules are followed. I may be wrong on this but every time I meet someone with a little brains they tell me that its not up to them and the archaic PCA rules are to be abided or no events. After driving euro rules with crazy unlimited passing and full on prototypes passing me mid corner I too don't know why they can't get improved rules
Old 03-04-2018, 09:55 AM
R.Deacon
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

[QUOTE=TRAKCAR;14843802]I say that because half the time here are cars on track that use turn signals any way (Closed race cars, darkness) it should be no pro Allen to allow any car to drive with the windows closed and use a blinker to indicate a pass.

To me the European model makes more sense but one step at the time.

Let's just add one baby step to allow any car to drive with the windows closed, or windows down with arm out the window if you don't have turn signals or you prefer to point by with your arm for some reason. Everyone should be happy.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Absolutely , one step , goal = allow windows up for whose that wish , I suggested a box shape on left bumper (like the X for the newbie to group ) in indicate
it's a windows up car result = crickets ...anyway keep it simple , cool and safe .
Old 03-04-2018, 11:18 AM
Hams955
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I run my cup car in DE events sometimes. They have fixed windows that cannot be removed or rolled down. You'd be surprised how many of the event workers walk up and tell me to "roll" my window down... Come on seriously? In this case, just as others have noted; I signal to the direction to be overtaken. It also implies to use signal to pit-in. Really nothing hard about this. In my run group it is common to see fully closed in race cars with windows or nets that do not allow a driver to affect a point-by. Again - signal direction of overtake. It's really not a hard concept.

If our event organizers allowed us to run windows down in our DE events they just clearly state how to affect a point by. It's not hard.

Honestly speaking - the aero of a GT3 wasn't designed for us to be going 165+ down the back straight at COTA with the windows down....

- Chris.
Old 03-04-2018, 02:39 PM
atc5
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Which is safer? (serious question)
Old 03-04-2018, 02:51 PM
Hams955
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by atc5
Which is safer? (serious question)
I think you would hear arguments both sides of the isle on this topic. My perspective is that windows up is safer for the driver. Nets are used on race cars to prevent intrusion of debris into the car. Windows up on a street car serves the same purpose.

The other side of the isle would state windows down allows for faster access to the occupants in a collision or accident. However, Modern Porsche’s will unlock the doors in the event of collision detection. I would surmise this negates the windows down argument.

Personally if I had the option to run windows up I would for many reasons.

Chris.
Old 03-06-2018, 11:55 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,592 Likes on 737 Posts

The race experts on the DE section where my original thread was moved are veering way off topic.
Please contribute there.

What I found so far, were we are allowed to run windows up:
This is it so far:
Every track in the world not in the US/Canada that I can find.
High Plains Raceway
Thermal (Private)
Spring Mountain
Watkins Glen
Daytona
VIR
Dominion
Mid Ohio
Brainard
Road America

Organizations:
Every organization in the world not in the US and Canada that I can find out about.
Chin, when the track allows, see above.
Audi club
PCA Nord Stern

Please add if you have experienced closed windows optional at certain tracks and by organizations.
Old 03-07-2018, 06:38 PM
R.Deacon
Drifting

Need 5 more for even 100
Surprising to me so few fellow DE
Participants in the GT corral .
Old 03-07-2018, 08:22 PM
Palting
Rennlist Member

Need 5 more for even 100
Surprising to me so few fellow DE
Participants in the GT corral .
Doesn't surprise me now. There are a lot more threads about deviated stitching, PTS, value, and what have you than anything related to driving or DE.Maybe it's just a fad for now. I hope.

Last edited by Palting; 03-07-2018 at 08:42 PM.
Old 03-07-2018, 08:54 PM
R.Deacon
Drifting

^ when does your wonderful new .2 hit our shores ? You will be so amazed with the performance differential , I went from a 977.2 to my car and intentionally refrained from many offers to drive a 991 , held off so to have the full shock and awe . ...
Old 03-07-2018, 09:42 PM
Palting
Rennlist Member

^ when does your wonderful new .2 hit our shores ? You will be so amazed with the performance differential , I went from a 977.2 to my car and intentionally refrained from many offers to drive a 991 , held off so to have the full shock and awe . ...
Got it last week. https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-...r-is-here.html . I want to do the break in as recommended by Porsche. So far, have it up to 800 miles Planning to hit the tracks as soon as DE season opens here. And you are right, even just doing the break in already awes me.
Old 03-07-2018, 10:14 PM
R.Deacon
Drifting

FWIW I too followed the brake in recommendation for the engine , car back to Champion for its 24k service schedule next week and has been bullet proof in all those miles many of them with the tach north of 7k. pardon OT but love how solid the overall performance this car delivers , the weak link in the left seat striving to keep up to its ability !!

Last edited by R.Deacon; 03-07-2018 at 10:37 PM.
Old 03-07-2018, 10:33 PM
needmoregarage
Rennlist Member

Received 1,334 Likes on 572 Posts

Windows up. Worked great in Europe on Nordschleife. Zero confusion - tell overtaking car on which side you'll STAY and they overtake on opposite side (private track day).
Quiet, comfortable, nothing entering cabin through windows (like rain or dust or debris).

With windows down - window nets should be required or maybe arm restraints. Something to keep your arm inside the car. I read accounts of people saying they've not observed injuries from limbs flailing out of an open window but I imagine it can easily happen (right or left seat).

There are pros/cons to each but IMO the pros of windows up outweigh the cons.
Old 03-07-2018, 11:38 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,157 Likes on 572 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
The race experts on the DE section where my original thread was moved are veering way off topic.
Please contribute there.

What I found so far, were we are allowed to run windows up:
This is it so far:
Every track in the world not in the US/Canada that I can find.
High Plains Raceway
Thermal (Private)
Spring Mountain
Watkins Glen
Daytona
VIR
Dominion
Mid Ohio
Brainard
Road America

Organizations:
Every organization in the world not in the US and Canada that I can find out about.
Chin, when the track allows, see above.
Audi club
PCA Nord Stern

Please add if you have experienced closed windows optional at certain tracks and by organizations.
Hooked on Driving California is also trying to get windows up allowed whenever possible. Got this from them last weekend. They got Laguna people to allow windows up when it rained or there was enough water on the track to cause spraying.

Quick Reply: HPDE EVENTS WINDOWS UP/DOWN POLL