29.05%
Voters: 148. You may not vote on this poll

HPDE EVENTS WINDOWS UP/DOWN POLL

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2018, 08:08 PM
C2Spin
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 67 Posts

Use signals for passing. The car being overtaken moves in the direction of the turn signal, and stays on line. This aligns with the way we drive when not on the track. We signal indicating the direction were going to move. I have participated in an event where they tried this signaling idea, BUT they had us signal to the side we wanted the car overtaking car to pass on. Talk about a disaster. Yikes! Whatever you decide re: signaling idea make sure it's crystal clear.

Love the idea of driver's choice windows up or down.
Old 03-01-2018, 08:57 PM
rshanholtz
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 67 Posts

BTW - at Porsche Sport Driving School in AL, the car being over taken signals in the direction/side they want to car to overtake on - so dumb. It is counter to how we drive normally as C2Spin said above and not how Europe runs. Don't know about ROW as I have only driven EU tracks outside of the US.
Old 03-01-2018, 10:26 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveGordon
I can barely believe you have to put up with this nonsense; I see you in my mirror, indicate right to show you I am moving right, you pass on the left, and vice-versa. What is so complicated or dangerous about that?
Thats ...very honestly I m saying this....you guys over there are smarter than the "so called authorities" here is the USA.
Old 03-01-2018, 11:21 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

Yup, if it’s good enough for European tracks and organizers as well as the manufacturers it’s safe enough for me.
I say much safer than here because you’re more focused because you’re not heat stroking, your heads not wobbling, no sweat running in your eyes, no debris flying in when you crash or even just spin.

And you can run in the rain, be more comfortable and keep the interior clean.

Feel free to run windows down and point by, but don’t make everyone roll down the windows, it’s archaic.
Old 03-01-2018, 11:23 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,745 Likes on 4,765 Posts

Is this a trick question?
Old 03-02-2018, 12:02 AM
ChrisF
Rennlist Member

Received 889 Likes on 336 Posts

Poll option for dealers choice?
Old 03-02-2018, 12:08 AM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 606 Likes on 371 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Yup, if it’s good enough for European tracks and organizers as well as the manufacturers it’s safe enough for me.
I say much safer than here because you’re more focused because you’re not heat stroking, your heads not wobbling, no sweat running in your eyes, no debris flying in when you crash or even just spin.

And you can run in the rain, be more comfortable and keep the interior clean.

Feel free to run windows down and point by, but don’t make everyone roll down the windows, it’s archaic.
+100
Old 03-02-2018, 12:13 AM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,709 Likes on 2,686 Posts

Originally Posted by Palting
That's exactly what I mean. Windows are up, you're blasting away at full throttle most of the time, the AC therefore is effectively off. It can get pretty darn hot in there with the windows closed, say, VIR in August.
The time of full throttle around a lap is not that much - never had a problem staying comfortable...
Old 03-02-2018, 01:12 AM
signes
Rennlist Member

Received 619 Likes on 407 Posts

Windows down is moronic. Passing driver moves off line to pass, it just works.
Old 03-02-2018, 01:17 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,745 Likes on 4,765 Posts

Originally Posted by Palting
That's exactly what I mean. Windows are up, you're blasting away at full throttle most of the time, the AC therefore is effectively off. It can get pretty darn hot in there with the windows closed, say, VIR in August.
Originally Posted by GrantG

The time of full throttle around a lap is not that much - never had a problem staying comfortable...

Plus 1.

For those who have data recorders, just check how often and how long you are at full throttle in any variant of a 991 911.
Old 03-02-2018, 09:00 AM
Palting
Rennlist Member

Received 237 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by GrantG

Either your tracks have a lot of turns, or you just like it hot, Grant. At the track I gave as an example, VIR in August, I would say it's significantly a full throttle track. Particularly if you drive one of the older lower HP Porsches. Think about 2005 Boxster, for example. You want windows up? That's great!. Just don't prevent me from keeping mine down if I want to.
Old 03-02-2018, 10:22 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,368 Likes on 792 Posts

If you want to do windows closed, I'd agree that I'd prefer the car being overtaken to signal what side they want to be passed on, ala hand point-bys. Sure, in advanced groups the overtaken car will stay online while the passer moves offline, but in the green/blue groups, drivers may not have enough experience or comfort to allow this to occur at all times.

the other issue is if you have more than one car behind you looking to pass. segregating use of turn signals for each passer needs to be distinct, which can be a bit tricky.

With the exception of in heavy rain, I have no issues running windows down.
Old 03-02-2018, 10:59 PM
FastLaneTurbo
Burning Brakes

Received 91 Likes on 47 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by DaveGordon
I can barely believe you have to put up with this nonsense; I see you in my mirror, indicate right to show you I am moving right, you pass on the left, and vice-versa. What is so complicated or dangerous about that?
What complicates the matter is in most U.S. HPDE's, the Driver's Meetings allowing use of Turn Signals for passing indicates they are to be used to show the Side you want the car behind you to pass you on, which is the OPPOSITE side which is used in Europe. The European system to me makes a lot more sense since Drivers on or off the Track are ALWAYS using their Directional systems to indicate their intention to turn in that direction in Traffic. The American HPDE System of using passing Directional signals opposite to the way drivers have been using them all their lives in Traffic is highly counter-intuitive and, IMHO, can be dangerous and easily result in a collision. I also believe Windows should be CLOSED on the Track for all the reasons described by TrakCar. It is certainly SAFER to keep your arms INSIDE the Car during a rollover or collision with another car or wall. This is why ALL Racing require Window Nets. It is also a lot EASIER at high speeds. Closed Windows would also permit a Central Traffic Control person to instantly contact any Driver on the track through a discrete radio frequency to instantly advise any unsafe driving or car condition by a flag station. IMHO, that is the ultimate future of all HPDE events.
Old 03-02-2018, 11:12 PM
R.Deacon
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

^Spence if the DE procedure for passing here would follow/adopt EURO procedure , using the blinker the direction They intend to move towards and passing car go around the the opposite side of the blinker indicating , I get that , how does the situation work when the car being passed stays on line as mandated here
or most often in novice groups where pacing on straight aways and the lead car isn't moving left or right ? Thoughts anyone

Last edited by R.Deacon; 03-03-2018 at 01:15 AM.
Old 03-03-2018, 10:35 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

I say that because half the time here are cars on track that use turn signals any way (Closed race cars, darkness) it should be no pro Allen to allow any car to drive with the windows closed and use a blinker to indicate a pass.

To me the European model makes more sense but one step at the time.

Let's just add one baby step to allow any car to drive with the windows closed, or windows down with arm out the window if you don't have turn signals or you prefer to point by with your arm for some reason. Everyone should be happy.

I completely disagree with all the reasons for driving with windows down;

I can hear a track worker yell with windows up just fine. If not he's too far away to do anything anyway.
The track worker isn't going to be pulling my 265lb 6'4" *** out of a window.
If glass needs to be cleaned up, it sweeps up with the kitty litter anyway.

It's all just stubborn BS. I'll seek out windows closed venues whenever possible. Personally don't care if you like to point by with windows down, just don't make me.

Quick Reply: HPDE EVENTS WINDOWS UP/DOWN POLL