Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Possible additional run of GT3's?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2018, 07:53 PM
BillS
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Possible additional run of GT3's?

Like many I had been on a few GT3 lists for a while. I worked my way all the way up to #1 on the list late last year at my local dealer and even pre-traded my 997.2 turbo s given the dealer was confident they would get at least a couple additional allocations. Fast forward a couple months and they now tell me no more GT3's this year.

They just had what my SA described as a 'head guy' from Porsche there late last week where they finally confirmed no more for the year. In something that surprised me though he said they are expecting to do a minor 'refresh' (filter?) and produce additional units in 2019. Has anyone heard anything to that effect? He seems like a pretty straight up guy and doesn't seem like he'd have reason to string me along. This doesn't jive with the conversations I've seen floating around on the forums.

Anyway here's the build I was planning on getting. I was sooooo looking forward to getting my hands on one of these. Bummer to get so close and not end up with an allocation. They called today and said they were offered a pool car that was mine if I wanted it but it was just too different from the spec I was looking at (had sofas, pdk, aluminum interior trim, different color, etc, etc) and I didn't want to regret such a significant purchase. I've been on their RS list a while too so maybe something will pan out there.

http://www.porsche-code.com/PJ7S1L94

Cheers,
Bill
Old 02-26-2018, 08:08 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 137 Posts

I expect that is exactly what will happen, Bill...a slightly changed 2019 model, possibly with different emissions equipment in some or all markets. I don't buy that N/A production is done in September; historically the GT models overlap the new generation cars by a year. Plus we are still expecting, at the very least, the Speedster and most likely GT4 with versions of the motor, along with the GT3RS for which orders are not even in yet, and you can bet there will be a 'last hurrah' N/A 991 model coming as well (a la 997 RS 4.0). That's a lot to get done in ~6 months...
Old 02-26-2018, 08:20 PM
Gravs
Three Wheelin'

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

It's crazy that someone who has a deposit on one can't get one. Porsche is chucking away so much money over this. Just build more cars!!!
Old 02-26-2018, 08:58 PM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 621 Likes on 433 Posts

First I have heard of any 2019 build GT3. Given they switched the late 3Q and 4Q 2018 builds from model year 2019 to model year 2018, it seems unlikely.
Old 02-26-2018, 09:22 PM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Received 2,140 Likes on 981 Posts

Originally Posted by Gravs
It's crazy that someone who has a deposit on one can't get one. Porsche is chucking away so much money over this. Just build more cars!!!
Yeah.....if I was running a business, I would make sure that I turned customers away at all costs because that is what high performing businesses do. I mean really.....what business actually wants to sell hundreds of $200k products? I wouldn't produce more products or raise the prices so that supply equals demand. I wouldn't want to satisfy my customers. Instead, I would just make a fake promise, a fake list, and then renege on the agreement. I would try to **** off as many buyers as possible so that they take their business to McLaren or Ferrari.

I still don't get Porsche's business model. American's should be running PAG. Why isn't Porsche bankrupt yet?!
Old 02-26-2018, 09:24 PM
Terrence
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

PCNA sent an official email to all the dealers telling them there will be no MY2019 GT3. What more concrete info does one need?
Old 02-26-2018, 09:32 PM
reacher
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

I just signed paperwork last week for an '18 build with expected delivery in Aug-Sep. I hope that car is real and will be built..
Old 02-26-2018, 09:45 PM
tqevo
Pro

Received 145 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Terrence
PCNA sent an official email to all the dealers telling them there will be no MY2019 GT3. What more concrete info does one need?
Source?
Old 02-26-2018, 09:50 PM
Terrence
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

This was mentioned and confirmed by multiple forum members including myself in two or three different threads
Old 02-26-2018, 09:57 PM
BillS
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's what caught me off guard from the dealers comment. He mentioned it was confirmed there will be no additional production this year but that there could be another production window in 2019. I'm not holding my breath at this point I just thought it was an interesting comment given they had just had someone from PCNA there discussing car allocations. I will now resume my mourning for the build that could have been... =P Part of me wants to keep that small deposit down just in case though.
Old 02-26-2018, 10:01 PM
tqevo
Pro

Received 145 Likes on 80 Posts

Can't find any of these threads in search. Can you point me to one?
Old 02-26-2018, 10:07 PM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Received 2,140 Likes on 981 Posts

Originally Posted by tqevo
Can't find any of these threads in search. Can you point me to one?
I recall the same series of threads with multiple people from several dealership across the country. Here is one of the threads. https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-...in-2019-a.html

If you read the whole thread, MANY people are hearing the same thing from their dealerships.
Old 02-26-2018, 10:09 PM
Bossing
Rennlist Member

Received 89 Likes on 45 Posts

I think it's pure speculation in regards to MY2019 GT3 and obviously wishful thinking especially to a dealer, heck any dealer.....

But I see the point. For example, I was at both Champion and West Broward over the weekend and both dealers have literally zero allocations for nearly the rest of the year aside from maybe, a longshot, but maybe a very few that can trickle in for a late MY2018 build... not guaranteed obviously. I also personally saw the entire GT3 month by month ('KF') allocation breakdown for calendar year 2018 at one major dealer and all were presold/spoken for. There were not many... think of approx 3 (but mostly less) GT3's per month, if that.

Both dealers even stated that regular 911 allocation units are getting more & more scarce since 991.2 production scheds are being slowed down... apparently to try/keep 911 growth to 2% or less per year. Plus the fact that the 992 is forthcoming and the GT2RS + GT3RS (plus a possible limited edition .2 Speedster) will occupy build scheds then I can see why there may not be a huge amount of GT3.2 units after all when everything is said and done. So who really knows at this point...... time will tell.
Old 02-26-2018, 10:11 PM
hptom
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Shouldn’t be this hard to get a simple and clear set of facts. Very disappointing
Old 02-26-2018, 10:11 PM
Bardman
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by subshooter
I still don't get Porsche's business model. American's should be running PAG. Why isn't Porsche bankrupt yet?!
I think I have seen this comment before. There is obviously more to the car business than just marketing and selling, you have to build a car that the world wants to own. If Americans were doing this well enough, then PAG would be out of business. The fact that they are not perhaps tells us something?

Quick Reply: Possible additional run of GT3's?