Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Possible additional run of GT3's?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2018, 01:40 AM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 63 Posts

Sure there some customers angry they could not get a GT allocation. But overall the process produces more customers for dealers and Porsche.Get hem into the door with some FaceTime and they may by another model with the hope the get an allocation for a GT later. The Porsche dealers have recognized that selling used Porsche’s can be very profitable. The last thing they want to do is sell a GT at MSRP to a one time out of state customer. They lose the service, the trade in and possible purchase of another Porsche to the buyer. Hence, the reason for ADM.

The other day day when I picked up my .2GT3 after a service event they had it parked next to a 1997 993 GR TT. It had over 20,000 miles on it. My .2:is GR also. My MSRP was $167,500. They sold the 993 for $160,000. it was 21 years older than my car with 100 less HP. They bought it at auction. My dealers used car show room is larger than the new car show room. FWIW, this is the Ferrari dealer model. Give allocations to clients that turn their cars into them. They rather not deal with clients that buy one car and may not see again for five years. That’s a quick way to go broke.
Old 03-01-2018, 01:53 AM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,188 Likes on 631 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick
Sure there some customers angry they could not get a GT allocation. But overall the process produces more customers for dealers and Porsche.Get hem into the door with some FaceTime and they may by another model with the hope the get an allocation for a GT later. The Porsche dealers have recognized that selling used Porsche’s can be very profitable. The last thing they want to do is sell a GT at MSRP to a one time out of state customer. They lose the service, the trade in and possible purchase of another Porsche to the buyer. Hence, the reason for ADM.

The other day day when I picked up my .2GT3 after a service event they had it parked next to a 1997 993 GR TT. It had over 20,000 miles on it. My .2:is GR also. My MSRP was $167,500. They sold the 993 for $160,000. it was 21 years older than my car with 100 less HP. They bought it at auction. My dealers used car show room is larger than the new car show room. FWIW, this is the Ferrari dealer model. Give allocations to clients that turn their cars into them. They rather not deal with clients that buy one car and may not see again for five years. That’s a quick way to go broke.

agree that the dealers rewarding local customers who return their cars to be sold at the same dealer is a good policy. I can understand not selling to out of state customers without some ADM as local service $ is very important to car dealers.

But Porsche making hundreds less GT cars than what their customers want, so that hundreds of loyal local customers can’t get a new GT car without a crazy ADM isn’t good business. Yes, it’s the Ferrari model, but Ferrari hassles drove many customers to Porsche, and Porsche may certainly lose just as many customers by playing the same games.

Personally, after completing ED delivery this year of a 991.2 GT3 (with hefty ADM), I may never purchase a new Porsche again.

Last edited by Drifting; 03-01-2018 at 01:18 PM.
Old 03-01-2018, 02:05 AM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 3,802 Likes on 2,167 Posts

Originally Posted by STG
The Cayman/Boxster were not produced in Zuffenhausen previously, but brought in when the 718 came out. Maybe they should not have brought them in and allowed for increased 911 and GT capacity.

Thought I had read that there would be disruptions in production because of the Mission E construction, and I know many cars are being shifted to counties other than the USA for whatever reason. Porsche is really causing some bad customer relations with this drama. Look at all the negativity we read daily here about allocations. These things stick in people's mind. I for one, have a less favorable image of them reading all the drama and bad customer service. Not to mention, they are not taking care of their core fans but chasing Macan and Panny buyers instead. Once they lose the sports car guys ...... trouble ahead. They will be a hybrid/electric mass producer who sold their soul (not for rock n' roll).
The lack of GT3 cars is causing many one former MSRP dealer to go for the cash grab with ADM because the $$$ are more important than relationships. I hate hearing how so many good guys dealers have morphed into stealers with the GT3 and worst yet with the GT2RS, those ADMs are just gross and disgusting. The good guy dealers who held the line on taking care of their best customers for MSRP deserve 10x more proper now and I LOVE hearing stories on buyers getting GT cars for MSRP. You guys that got those MSRP cars should reward your dealers with more non-GT car business and give them good referrals, I know I have.
Old 03-01-2018, 02:10 AM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 3,802 Likes on 2,167 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick

I hear what you are saying, but the dealer that sells me a GT car at MSRP will have the first right of refusal to buy the car back from me when it's time to sell because like you said it'll be hard for me to service the car/s there because I'm not local customer. In my mind, it's the RIGHT THING and a GOOD KARMA thing which I'm a huge believer of.
Old 03-01-2018, 12:33 PM
2006m5
Banned

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts

Well gentlemen I wanted to buy a Porsche for first time just to try the brand and feel what is the gt3 phenomenon but.
after 17 months on a list .
Dealer told me a about 10 days ago no car for me.
He says I am small dealer I received two allocations and no more cars.
So I said to myself I will buy used 15 gt3 but I wanted to order new.
So gentlemen I will move on ....and I'm disappointed.
But yes Porsche is following Ferrari business tactics.
And I get it ...but I was prepared to spend my money to try the Porsche flavor.
I will keep toys that I have .....and possibly go buy something.
But I will not buy a Porsche used or new and pay 30k on a new 18 gt3.
or used rs that they still selling for over msrp.
Its just crazy.
And I'm amazed that some buyers pay what they pay for cars that have many copies and actually not rare.
And buy them as investments I just don't get it.
Old 03-01-2018, 01:20 PM
Sonnen Porsche
Former Vendor

Received 104 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by NJRickD
Do you really think dealers taking deposits and creating wait lists has anything at all to do with PAG??
It really has nothing to do with PAG what we as dealers do internally with our lists. PAG can see all of our V070 orders in the system which I can assure you does very little to get me anything extra over what we would normally be allocated based on market share. As for more GT3's coming out from PAG we will see but I would not be surprised as my latest 911 allocation that dropped yesterday was nothing but zeroes!! Hopefully some GT cars will fill in those zeroes!

Last edited by Sonnen Porsche; 03-01-2018 at 05:57 PM.
Old 03-01-2018, 01:46 PM
ChoyV
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 19 Posts

I received an email from my SA yesterday and informed me that I have an allocated GT3 with May build and July delivery. My euphoria died down as fast as it had raised.
My SA informed me that there is a 15% or 20% above MSRP. I can't remember what was the number since I was disappointed with the deal and I am not interested. He was justifying the additional price to the GT3 which we already knew, Market BS Value. I just told him that this GT3 purchase will be my third P car purchased from him in a span of 3.5 years. It is up to him to value the Market Price against the Customer Relationship, which I think he will favor the former. He then asked me if I will trade-in my 991.1 MT GTS, which I will. He was implying that we can deal on the trade-in value to compensate for the MSRP of the GT3. I was against it and straight out rebuke that deal. We will then think it over and will give me a call back later. I guess he will just check his list and go down to the next inline customer.
I will definitely cease in dealing with this dealer or might even negate on any P car purchase, if he will force the ADM pricing. I know I am just a tiny drop in their huge bucket but, at least, I will take a stand. This is a First World Problem and I will survive without a GT3.
In addition, I was offered last month by another dealer for a loaded PDK Silver GT3. If not for the PDK and color, I would have grab it. The price was also MSRP!!!. So I don't give a S about Market Value. I know that is Capitalism and I am for it. But it is up to us to dictate what we want.
Life moves on.
Old 03-01-2018, 03:43 PM
fuddman
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by STG
..... I know many cars are being shifted to countries other than the USA for whatever reason.....
That "whatever reason" is China.

Chinese demand for 718/911 cars has been steadily rising over the past several years and today is, I think, the biggest consumer of these cars of any single country in the world, including all of PNA.

When you talk of a shortage of GT cars in the US of A, you need to consider that more and more of the supply of cars coming out of Zuffenhausen are probably headed for China. In other words, if they make more money selling cars in China than in the US of A, then more of Zuffenhausens limited production capacity is headed there.
Old 03-01-2018, 03:52 PM
lkoury
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 4 Posts

Just got a call for a late 2018 delivery of a GT 3 Touring. Promising.
Old 03-01-2018, 04:04 PM
SToronto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,121 Likes on 731 Posts

Originally Posted by fuddman

Chinese demand for 718/911 cars has been steadily rising over the past several years and today is, I think, the biggest consumer of these cars of any single country in the world, including all of PNA.

When you talk of a shortage of GT cars in the US of A, you need to consider that more and more of the supply of cars coming out of Zuffenhausen are probably headed for China. In other words, if they make more money selling cars in China than in the US of A, then more of Zuffenhausens limited production capacity is headed there.
I was at the Beijing Central dealer few weeks ago. They haven't got a 911 allocation since 4Q last year and none into this year yet. They said it's very weird what Porsche is doing. Showroom is all Cayenne.
Old 03-01-2018, 04:18 PM
manitou202
Burning Brakes

Received 406 Likes on 158 Posts

Does anyone have a real sense of the margins on GT cars versus standard 911's, versus Porsche SUVs? It would be interesting to see which vehicles bring bigger profits. Is it possible Porsche doesn't make much on GT3's but the buzz around them brings additional sales? They may not have a reason to increase production. Obviously some other car makers do this with niche cars (Ford GT for example), but it's hard to say GT cars (especially the GT3/GT4) are truly niche products.
Old 03-01-2018, 04:47 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,317 Likes on 800 Posts

Originally Posted by manitou202
Does anyone have a real sense of the margins on GT cars versus standard 911's, versus Porsche SUVs? It would be interesting to see which vehicles bring bigger profits. Is it possible Porsche doesn't make much on GT3's but the buzz around them brings additional sales? They may not have a reason to increase production. Obviously some other car makers do this with niche cars (Ford GT for example), but it's hard to say GT cars (especially the GT3/GT4) are truly niche products.
I've been told by my good guy dealer that the % profit is lower on base GT cars; options stay the same. Since they cost more MSRP the dealership still realizes an increase in $ profit comparatively.
Old 03-01-2018, 04:51 PM
SKY57
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SToronto
I was at the Beijing Central dealer few weeks ago. They haven't got a 911 allocation since 4Q last year and none into this year yet. They said it's very weird what Porsche is doing. Showroom is all Cayenne.
Make sense. Chinese market is full of long-wheel-base sedan and SUV's. Huge mark-up for years when the gen 2 Cayenne was introduced back in the day.
Funny 911 were selling at discount at the same time. I remember even 991.1 GT3 were sitting in the showroom.
Old 03-01-2018, 05:19 PM
promocop
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by fuddman

Bravo to you sir to take that stand! If only others would do the same and this 'beanie baby' mentality will die an early death!
Old 03-01-2018, 06:53 PM
sampelligrino
Drifting

Received 457 Likes on 272 Posts

Originally Posted by Drifting
Personally, after completing ED delivery this year of a 991.2 GT3 (with hefty ADM), I may never purchase a new Porsche again.
I am in literally the exact same shoes with the flaming hula hoops I had to jump through, calls I had to make with snarky/insulting responses, and having to pay a decent ADM (don't think it was too hefty from what I've seen others pay)

After this car I'd like to find an air-cooled companion at some point

Quick Reply: Possible additional run of GT3's?