991 GT3 GT3RS and 911R
Sponsored by:

Possible additional run of GT3's?

Old 02-28-2018, 02:10 AM
mcsmcs1
User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by nwGTS View Post
Are you guys forgetting that they are building a MASSIVE complex for the Mission E? They are expanding. Just not where you want them to.
spot on
Old 02-28-2018, 02:29 AM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Yep it’s pure capacity issues, but Drifting brings up a great point, why not cut back all the freaking turbo S’s they force down the dealers throats? Every time I’ve stepped into even a smaller dealers store there is a turbo or turbo S on the floor that they can’t sell. Here there is a lava orange one that’s been on the floor for months. When I lived in SoCal I would go byBakersfield and they would have a turbo S on the floor for weeks. I don’t know if they force all dealers to sell them, or what. But here is a dealer who doesn’t have even a turbo on the floor regularly but there is always a TTS there. Some smaller towns don’t always have guys just walk in and buy a specced turbo S off the floor for $190,000

They only make 10-12 GT cars a day and with the stupid strong GT2RS ramping up and now the $100,000 over MSRP 3RS coming online where are the slots for GT3s? Answer: there aren’t any. But yea diesel gate and a up and down economy is going to prevent Porsche from expanding to build more GT cars.

If you think about it we are buyers of a car most people love to see but most can’t justify. So they build 5000 in a run and that’s it. This one, the 4 liter looks like it won’t even crack the 3000 mark not including the RS. So economically the people who are going to miss out are such a small percentage of current Porsche customers I don’t know that they even care. What do you all think the number of people missing out is? 2500? Probably not a number Porsche cares about even if we are the top 20% in economic power of typical Porsche buyers. The current typical Porsche buyer is the guy who comes in and buys the $50,000 Macan.

I was the PCA membership chair here locally and the local dealership bought every new buyer a PCA membership. Those go to PCA national then sent to me, so I can send out a welcome letter. So I saw the numbers. Probably pretty close to national numbers 85% Macan buyers 10% Cayenne buyers 4% 911 and 718 buyers and 1% panamera buyers.

Who do you think PAG and PCNA are going to cater to. I just don’t know if we are even relevant anymore. Porsche is going to try to keep its image as a sports car maker because that plays into the minds of the SUV owner, they get prestige by buying a Porsche instead of a Subaru. But I don’t think we matter corporately to Porsche any longer. They are going to do what they want, regardless of what we say, as a GT community. Sure they will make small adjustments like adding a manual, but outside of that, they are going to stay inside what they believe makes them the most money and unfortunately it’s not us and it’s not racing much anymore outside of keeping up an IMAGE
Old 02-28-2018, 08:22 AM
rick brooklyn
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by OldGuy View Post
[LEFT]Yep it’s pure capacity issues, but Drifting brings up a great point, why not cut back all the freaking turbo S’s they force down the dealers throats?
They have cut back. It's very difficult to find an allocation to order a Turbo S these days. On the 991tt forum you can read the stories of people turned away by the dealer.
Old 02-28-2018, 12:11 PM
reacher
User

Originally Posted by OldGuy View Post
Yep itís pure capacity issues, but Drifting brings up a great point, why not cut back all the freaking turbo Sís they force down the dealers throats?
I'm afraid your information is probably only relevant to the 991.1, because the 991.2 Turbo S is incredibly difficult to get. I called 6 dealers, and not a single one could get me an allocation. It was actually easier for me to get a GT3 at MSRP than a Turbo S. I just gave up waiting for the Turbo S and got a GTS instead.
Old 02-28-2018, 01:03 PM
Drifting
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by reacher View Post
I'm afraid your information is probably only relevant to the 991.1, because the 991.2 Turbo S is incredibly difficult to get. I called 6 dealers, and not a single one could get me an allocation. It was actually easier for me to get a GT3 at MSRP than a Turbo S. I just gave up waiting for the Turbo S and got a GTS instead.
i think this problem is one of overall 991 production not just GT3s. On the 991 board they’re complaing that it’s extremely difficult to find a buildable GTS or targa allocations, and even Carreras to a lesser degree.

Seems Porsche is focusing on building cars for Europe before Euro 6 emissions starts in September, and possibly just winding down 991 Carrera production before the 992 is announced in October.

finally I don’t know what’s going on with SUV production but I doubt that’s been compromised as over 80‰ of Porsches now sold have 4 doors and that seems to be their priority, not sports cars any longer.
Old 02-28-2018, 01:11 PM
993RR
User

Europe could get flooded with cars the next 5 months
Old 02-28-2018, 01:53 PM
djcxxx
Addict
Rennlist Member

This forum represents a very small but disproportionately vocal segment of Porsche buyers.
Old 02-28-2018, 02:08 PM
juanpablo046
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by fibredog View Post
The Media page on PCNAís site shows .2 GT3RS as a 2019 model. .2 GT3 and 2RS are both in the 2018 section.

Being 2019 in USA does not mean it can be 2019 in Europe.
Old 02-28-2018, 06:31 PM
DaveGordon
User

Paperwork for my 3RS says MY2019, even though they were 100% that the build slots were for May to July only (Switzerland)
Old 02-28-2018, 06:47 PM
Terrence
User

GT3RS are all MY2019 for the US. GT3 and GT2RS are all MY2018 for th US.
Old 02-28-2018, 07:35 PM
Larry Cable
Super User

Originally Posted by ipse dixit View Post
Capacity. PAG has only so much capacity to build GT cars, or even cars in general. And in that same timeframe (2018-2019), they have to pump out the aforementioned 1.2 GT3 RS, the GT2 RS, as well as the Speedster. Not alot of capacity to spare.
^^^ this! note that the RS is not expected to start production until Aug/Sept, and they also have to deliver the 992 as well as the GT4(RS?) etc ... there is only so much capacity on the Zuffenhausen line ...

assuming somewhere between 200-260 workings days a year and approx 150 cars a day at Zuffenhausen (the only 911 line in the company) ... is somewhere around 34-39,000 cars/year ... then divide that by the number of models, geos etc ... you begin to see why there are so few GT cars made ...
Old 02-28-2018, 07:39 PM
Larry Cable
Super User

Originally Posted by Drifting View Post

i think this problem is one of overall 991 production not just GT3s. On the 991 board theyíre complaing that itís extremely difficult to find a buildable GTS or targa allocations, and even Carreras to a lesser degree.

Seems Porsche is focusing on building cars for Europe before Euro 6 emissions starts in September, and possibly just winding down 991 Carrera production before the 992 is announced in October.

^^^ this...
Originally Posted by Drifting View Post
finally I donít know whatís going on with SUV production but I doubt thatís been compromised as over 80Č of Porsches now sold have 4 doors and that seems to be their priority, not sports cars any longer.
just FYI 911/Cayman production, Cayenne/Macan, and Panamera production are independent of each other, only the 911 & Cayman are built on the Zuffenhausen line ... the others elsewhere... but the Zuffenhausen
line is limited to around 30-40k units/year for global consumption.
Old 02-28-2018, 08:18 PM
Nick
Addict
Rennlist Member

Guys, you're making it sound like Porsche is in a bind with capacity.

Porsche is a successful German company. They don't do production ***** nilly. They planned for the number of builds of each model and will follow the target unless during the manufacturing process indications are one model is not selling enough and they allocate the production slot to another model. All this takes planning because of the need to keep suppliers informed.

Regarding the GT models, production that is not meeting demand is a problem Porsche loves having. They embrace it because it elevates the brand to the level of Ferrari. They will not change anything regarding GT models including all the games being played with dealer allocations.
Old 02-28-2018, 08:42 PM
Drifting
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Nick View Post
Guys, you're making it sound like Porsche is in a bind with capacity.

Porsche is a successful German company. They don't do production ***** nilly. They planned for the number of builds of each model and will follow the target unless during the manufacturing process indications are one model is not selling enough and they allocate the production slot to another model. All this takes planning because of the need to keep suppliers informed.

Regarding the GT models, production that is not meeting demand is a problem Porsche loves having. They embrace it because it elevates the brand to the level of Ferrari. They will not change anything regarding GT models including all the games being played with dealer allocations.
i sorta agree.
High demand for halo GT cars does elevate the perception of all Porsches to a point. But Porsche used to follow the model of building one less GT car than the market desired, which was perfect. Now they are building hundreds less than the market demands, which is pissing off many long time Porsche enthusiasts who will now be purchasing Mclaren, lambo, etc, and Porsche won’t get that goodwill or many of these customers back.
Old 02-28-2018, 08:51 PM
STG
Super User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The Cayman/Boxster were not produced in Zuffenhausen previously, but brought in when the 718 came out. Maybe they should not have brought them in and allowed for increased 911 and GT capacity.

Thought I had read that there would be disruptions in production because of the Mission E construction, and I know many cars are being shifted to counties other than the USA for whatever reason. Porsche is really causing some bad customer relations with this drama. Look at all the negativity we read daily here about allocations. These things stick in people's mind. I for one, have a less favorable image of them reading all the drama and bad customer service. Not to mention, they are not taking care of their core fans but chasing Macan and Panny buyers instead. Once they lose the sports car guys ...... trouble ahead. They will be a hybrid/electric mass producer who sold their soul (not for rock n' roll).

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Possible additional run of GT3's?

Contact Us - About Us - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: