Sponsored by:

Possible additional run of GT3's?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2018, 03:24 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,389 Likes on 720 Posts

Originally Posted by Terrence
Porsche emailed all the dealers and told them point blank "there will be no MY2019 GT3 and GT2RS". The dealers then told every customer the same. The customers take this info and react accordingly and go buy GT3's and GT2RS, thinking how rare the car will be, at least for two years. If Porsche now retracts from that claim and start making MY 2019 GT3's and GT2RS', I can see that US being as litigious a society as it is, will see a class action lawsuit claiming everything from false advertising to fraud and deceit. I don't think PCNA would risk all that just to sell a few more cars.

If anything, MY 2019 may see something mechanically similar but called a different name, like RSR, Final Edition, Club Sport, etc, whatever, but it won't be called a GT3 or GT2RS.
Is not the .2 RS going to be a 2019 not a 2018??
Old 02-27-2018, 03:27 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by Terrence
If anything, MY 2019 may see something mechanically similar but called a different name, like RSR, Final Edition, Club Sport, etc, whatever, but it won't be called a GT3 or GT2RS.
That’s also possibility, though it would win no fans that bought 2018s thinking they were the last, either. And reintroduces the 918 VIP controversy.
Old 02-27-2018, 03:32 PM
djcxxx
Three Wheelin'

Received 348 Likes on 176 Posts

I agree that everything "from PCNA" or "from PAG" even if ostensibly in writing should be taken w/ a grain of salt. The .1 GT3 allocations dribbled out over 2016 well past the various deadlines announced for the end of production. The problem is that it is very difficult to predict, much less rely on, what Porsche will do with regard to GT3 production. It may actually be easier to secure an RS moving forward into 2019.
Old 02-27-2018, 07:52 PM
BillS
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by midwestamv8
Not to be paranoid, but I like to look at the incentives in each situation. The dealer took your car on trade a while ago. If they can't get you a GT3... do they have any incentive to tell you that? Right now they've got free money in the bank from your trade and a potential customer (however low the chance) in the bag. If they can't get you a GT3 and can't manage to convince you to buy something else instead, that money leaves their bank account and they lose a sale and potentially a customer. They might know there's a low 2% chance of Porsche making anything in 2019.... but it seems like it would be in their best interest to string you along anyways.... to say "it may happen, hang in there!" rather than "sorry dude, it's not gonna happen.... you should go try to find another allocation or find an available car elsewhere at ADM...". The first one keeps money in their bank and, in the off chance that they DO get another allocation, gets them / you a car. The second.... probably gets YOU a car... but they don't get jack.

Just some food for thought.
I agree. In fairness they did end up offering me a GT3 yesterday, just not a configurable allocation like I was hoping. The SA hasn't been a high pressure guy. He's basically said whatever you want to do, including refund, is good with me just let me know. I'll probably stick it out for a bit and see what pans out with the RS and then bail if nothing comes of it. Maybe I can guilt them into an MSRP allocation on the RS. Haha.....

Originally Posted by Palting
So, your dealer took in your 997.2 Turbo S with a promise to deliver a GT3. Now, he cannot deliver. He can refund a cash deposit, but he obviously cannot return your car.

I do not like your dealer. Sorry to say. He needs to do something spectacular to make it up to you.
Maybe that RS at MSRP eh? I wouldn't have gambled the Turbo except for I'm currently on an overseas work assignment and the car was sitting. I'd also made up my mind I wanted to get back to a more engaging NA car experience.
Old 02-27-2018, 09:47 PM
eilig
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

My dealer told me they have 18 people remaining on their wait list for GT3's and none of them will get a car.
Old 02-27-2018, 10:16 PM
sampelligrino
Drifting

Received 457 Likes on 272 Posts

It is interesting that there are projections (which make sense) that the .2 GT3RS will be produced into 2019, when there was so much speculation that there 4.0 NA engine would run into the ground post-September 2018 and that Porsche was moving on to the 992 quickly. Writing was on the wall that no .2 GT3 in 2019, and that maybe all GT cars built in 2018 with .2 3RS, .2 2RS, Speedster/Spyder/GT4 eating up production capacity.

If they can do the particle filter thing for the .2 3RS which could extend the lifeline of the car into 2019, I wonder why they wouldn't do it for the .2 GT3 which will have essentially the same engine? Maybe roughly 1.5 years of production is the lifespan of a .2 gen GT3? Thinking out loud here.
Old 02-27-2018, 10:43 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,773 Likes on 4,773 Posts

Originally Posted by sampelligrino
It is interesting that there are projections (which make sense) that the .2 GT3RS will be produced into 2019, when there was so much speculation that there 4.0 NA engine would run into the ground post-September 2018 and that Porsche was moving on to the 992 quickly. Writing was on the wall that no .2 GT3 in 2019, and that maybe all GT cars built in 2018 with .2 3RS, .2 2RS, Speedster/Spyder/GT4 eating up production capacity.

If they can do the particle filter thing for the .2 3RS which could extend the lifeline of the car into 2019, I wonder why they wouldn't do it for the .2 GT3 which will have essentially the same engine? Maybe roughly 1.5 years of production is the lifespan of a .2 gen GT3? Thinking out loud here.
Capacity. PAG has only so much capacity to build GT cars, or even cars in general. And in that same timeframe (2018-2019), they have to pump out the aforementioned 1.2 GT3 RS, the GT2 RS, as well as the Speedster. Not alot of capacity to spare.
Old 02-27-2018, 10:58 PM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,188 Likes on 631 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
Capacity. PAG has only so much capacity to build GT cars, or even cars in general. And in that same timeframe (2018-2019), they have to pump out the aforementioned 1.2 GT3 RS, the GT2 RS, as well as the Speedster. Not alot of capacity to spare.
then Porsche needs to build another factory as any other business would do, which has the good problem of too much demand for their products.

Last edited by Drifting; 02-28-2018 at 12:17 AM.
Old 02-27-2018, 11:03 PM
0to60
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Drifting
then Porsche needs to build another factory as any other business would do that has the good problem of too much demand for their products.
The next economic downturn is probably a Dynamic holding PAG back from expanding overall production.
Old 02-27-2018, 11:20 PM
promocop
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 0to60
The next economic downturn is probably a Dynamic holding PAG back from expanding overall production.
True. And lets not forget VW Inc ATE $30b in fines for “diesel gate”. Porsche GT3s
are the last thing on their mines
Old 02-27-2018, 11:37 PM
fibredog
Rennlist Member

Received 131 Likes on 49 Posts

The Media page on PCNA’s site shows .2 GT3RS as a 2019 model. .2 GT3 and 2RS are both in the 2018 section.

Old 02-27-2018, 11:46 PM
fuddman
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by 0to60
Actually, what's holding back PAG from expanding overall production is that their standard (911/718) two door cars aren't selling . No sense expanding in that kind of market. GT car sales are the only exception. And are what is making their 911 sales figures, sort of, respectful.

That sales trend has been down for quite some time and it may, simply, be the buying public is tiring of the Porsche sports car design.

That's not me, though. I like my car a lot!
Old 02-28-2018, 12:06 AM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 343 Likes on 158 Posts

Are you guys forgetting that they are building a MASSIVE complex for the Mission E? They are expanding. Just not where you want them to.
Old 02-28-2018, 12:21 AM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,188 Likes on 631 Posts

Originally Posted by fuddman
Actually, what's holding back PAG from expanding overall production is that their standard (911/718) two door cars aren't selling . No sense expanding in that kind of market. GT car sales are the only exception. And are what is making their 911 sales figures, sort of, respectful.

That sales trend has been down for quite some time and it may, simply, be the buying public is tiring of the Porsche sports car design.

That's not me, though. I like my car a lot!
agree the other 2 doors car aren’t selling, which is why I can’t understand why Porsche doesn’t divert more of their current factory lines to building GT cars which have huge demand, instead of turbo 718s and turbo Carreras, which have noticeably decreased demand.

Old 02-28-2018, 12:26 AM
jackmac
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts

Bill,
Not trying to point fingers, but I have some serious doubts about these self generated "dealer lists", are they even legit?.
At least you were quoted # 1 on the list as I had my names on different dealerships but none could really tell me my position on their list.
If a build slot does pop up, the question is are you willing to go to another dealership and how much are you willing ADM you willing to pay?
Good luck either way.
Jack

Quick Reply: Possible additional run of GT3's?