Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Possible additional run of GT3's?

Old 02-26-2018, 10:59 PM
fbroen
Three Wheelin'

Received 229 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by Bardman
I think I have seen this comment before. There is obviously more to the car business than just marketing and selling, you have to build a car that the world wants to own. If Americans were doing this well enough, then PAG would be out of business. The fact that they are not perhaps tells us something?
Hehe. Or perhaps that PAG is the most profitable per unit of any volume manufacturer tells us something also...
Old 02-26-2018, 11:17 PM
CamsPorsche
Race Car

Received 380 Likes on 161 Posts

Dealers in Canada have already begun refunding deposits so its looking ominous...
Old 02-26-2018, 11:20 PM
Yippiekiaye
Rennlist Member

Received 2,260 Likes on 945 Posts

Originally Posted by subshooter
Yeah.....if I was running a business, I would make sure that I turned customers away at all costs because that is what high performing businesses do. I mean really.....what business actually wants to sell hundreds of $200k products? I wouldn't produce more products or raise the prices so that supply equals demand. I wouldn't want to satisfy my customers. Instead, I would just make a fake promise, a fake list, and then renege on the agreement. I would try to **** off as many buyers as possible so that they take their business to McLaren or Ferrari.

I still don't get Porsche's business model. American's should be running PAG. Why isn't Porsche bankrupt yet?!

Its the appearance of scarcity that makes these cars so desirable. Look at Hermes. Stupid Birkin bag, impossible to get so all the ladies want one when there is nothing special about it. Porsche knows what they are doing. Dangling the carrot in front of customers - creating demand. They aren't dumb.
Old 02-26-2018, 11:36 PM
djcxxx
Three Wheelin'

Received 348 Likes on 176 Posts

Extra 19 RS's w/ particulate filter but no further GT3s appears to be the case, so far.
Old 02-27-2018, 06:52 AM
KBS911
Rennlist Member

Received 131 Likes on 79 Posts

Just got my allocation and signed for an 18 GT3 with an October build. Dealer said no 19's, but that the late builds would have actually been 2019 models. Just no production in 2019.
Old 02-27-2018, 07:42 AM
osu s2k
Rennlist Member

Received 193 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by Yippiekiaye
Its the appearance of scarcity that makes these cars so desirable. Look at Hermes. Stupid Birkin bag, impossible to get so all the ladies want one when there is nothing special about it. Porsche knows what they are doing. Dangling the carrot in front of customers - creating demand. They aren't dumb.
so if someone can direct me toward birkin at MSRP, Iava orange or Signal yellow much appreciated, I won't even ask for viper green
Old 02-27-2018, 09:48 AM
Bossing
Rennlist Member

Received 89 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by djcxxx
Extra 19 RS's w/ particulate filter but no further GT3s appears to be the case, so far.
No further GT3's does seem like it... for now and for the foreseeable 2018 calendar year.

Heck if the largest (read #1) dealer in the country, located here in south FL, can't get any more allocations (and they get the most out of all) then the future doesn't seem too promising. Well maybe one or two but still very few..... that's slim pickins'.
Old 02-27-2018, 10:00 AM
NJRickD
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by subshooter
Yeah.....if I was running a business, I would make sure that I turned customers away at all costs because that is what high performing businesses do. I mean really.....what business actually wants to sell hundreds of $200k products? I wouldn't produce more products or raise the prices so that supply equals demand. I wouldn't want to satisfy my customers. Instead, I would just make a fake promise, a fake list, and then renege on the agreement. I would try to **** off as many buyers as possible so that they take their business to McLaren or Ferrari.

I still don't get Porsche's business model. American's should be running PAG. Why isn't Porsche bankrupt yet?!
Do you really think dealers taking deposits and creating wait lists has anything at all to do with PAG??
Old 02-27-2018, 11:31 AM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Received 2,135 Likes on 977 Posts

Originally Posted by NJRickD
Do you really think dealers taking deposits and creating wait lists has anything at all to do with PAG??
Of course. Porsche sets the policies and standards for the independent dealer franchises to follow. They could stop this behavior including the secret fluid lists. Upfront, PAG could say that the dealers cannot take a deposit or take the order to V70 unless they have an allocation and commission number. I think it is ridiculous that guys give a deposit and then it is returned 2 years later because someone else cut in line on the secret list. That guy could have gone to other dealerships but instead is in a wait line that he thinks is going to produce an allocation. I'm not sure if this would work - its only one idea. PAG has a lot of leverage over the dealerships. Smart people can figure it out.

Originally Posted by Yippiekiaye
These cars are scarce as it is.....purely based on price alone. Even if they doubled the GT3 production and sold every last one, the car would be scarce and highly coveted. We aren't talking about Honda civic numbers. Who is going to buy a $200k car? Not many people. Artificially limiting supply is not going to make these cars any more rare or desirable than they already are. Even if they sold all the GT3s that are demanded, it would still be a desirable and rare car.
Old 02-27-2018, 11:36 AM
midwestamv8
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BillS
That's what caught me off guard from the dealers comment. He mentioned it was confirmed there will be no additional production this year but that there could be another production window in 2019. I'm not holding my breath at this point I just thought it was an interesting comment given they had just had someone from PCNA there discussing car allocations. I will now resume my mourning for the build that could have been... =P Part of me wants to keep that small deposit down just in case though.
Not to be paranoid, but I like to look at the incentives in each situation. The dealer took your car on trade a while ago. If they can't get you a GT3... do they have any incentive to tell you that? Right now they've got free money in the bank from your trade and a potential customer (however low the chance) in the bag. If they can't get you a GT3 and can't manage to convince you to buy something else instead, that money leaves their bank account and they lose a sale and potentially a customer. They might know there's a low 2% chance of Porsche making anything in 2019.... but it seems like it would be in their best interest to string you along anyways.... to say "it may happen, hang in there!" rather than "sorry dude, it's not gonna happen.... you should go try to find another allocation or find an available car elsewhere at ADM...". The first one keeps money in their bank and, in the off chance that they DO get another allocation, gets them / you a car. The second.... probably gets YOU a car... but they don't get jack.

Just some food for thought.
Old 02-27-2018, 11:43 AM
tonymission
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by KBS911
Just got my allocation and signed for an 18 GT3 with an October build. Dealer said no 19's, but that the late builds would have actually been 2019 models. Just no production in 2019.
Same here. I had pretty much checked out of this forum being disheartened by all the deliveries and thinking I would never get a sticker allocation so I had no idea that people were being turned away. Then I got the call and put in my order the next day. Pre-trading my RS in the next couple weeks just to prevent something horrible from happening on the road and anticipating values dropping a little bit later in the year. I hate it that there are so many guys who still want this car that aren't able to get one, but also feel incredibly grateful that I was able to get one of the very last allocations. Not PTS, but definitely 6spd and just that alone has me so excited.
Old 02-27-2018, 01:16 PM
Palting
Rennlist Member

Received 237 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by BillS
Like many I had been on a few GT3 lists for a while. I worked my way all the way up to #1 on the list late last year at my local dealer and even pre-traded my 997.2 turbo s given the dealer was confident they would get at least a couple additional allocations. Fast forward a couple months and they now tell me no more GT3's this year.

Cheers,
Bill
So, your dealer took in your 997.2 Turbo S with a promise to deliver a GT3. Now, he cannot deliver. He can refund a cash deposit, but he obviously cannot return your car.

I do not like your dealer. Sorry to say. He needs to do something spectacular to make it up to you.
Old 02-27-2018, 01:22 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,857 Likes on 1,901 Posts

While all the communications so far would indicate no 2019 GT3s will be produced, it isn't that far fetched to think that Porsche decided to change all the second half 2018 production to 2018 MY designations for regulatory reasons, and has since decided that, with the addition of the particulate filter, it can produce some more in 2019. Very unlikely, I suspect, but ya never know. I think the more likely reality is that the person who told the OP there would be more GT3s is simply mistaken. Sometimes I think communications from PAG in Germany to the SA's on the floor in dealers is like a children's game of telephone, where the message at the start is very different than the message at the end.
Old 02-27-2018, 02:55 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 137 Posts

IF there will be a 2019 with significant changes, allocations would come after its announcement. If those changes are desireable, they would be announced closer to the end of the model year.
Originally Posted by Terrence
PCNA sent an official email to all the dealers telling them there will be no MY2019 GT3. What more concrete info does one need?
If there was a notice from PCNA stating that specifically, then yes. But everything I’ve read on here has been pure speculation based on late 2018 builds that were MY2019 being pulled forward to MY2018.

I just find it hard to believe that, after the 911R debacle, Porsche would spend the development and marketing money to add the manual and Touring options to the .2, thus widening appeal and demand, then curtailing supply. Not only does it leave $150-200k sales on the table during a strong economy, but also stretches the gap to the 992GT3 by another year. Save the Birkin analogy; Porsche is more Coach than Hermès. I also find the small MSRP increase of the RS odd. Between pricing and product, it seems that Porsche is trying to increase 991GT sales; I maintain that they will in 2019, and perhaps even 2020.

Old 02-27-2018, 03:19 PM
Terrence
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Porsche emailed all the dealers and told them point blank "there will be no MY2019 GT3 and GT2RS". The dealers then told every customer the same. The customers take this info and react accordingly and go buy GT3's and GT2RS, thinking how rare the car will be, at least for two years. If Porsche now retracts from that claim and start making MY 2019 GT3's and GT2RS', I can see that US being as litigious a society as it is, will see a class action lawsuit claiming everything from false advertising to fraud and deceit. I don't think PCNA would risk all that just to sell a few more cars.

If anything, MY 2019 may see something mechanically similar but called a different name, like RSR, Final Edition, Club Sport, etc, whatever, but it won't be called a GT3 or GT2RS.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Possible additional run of GT3's?