Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2018, 08:50 AM
Chris R.
Rennlist Member

Received 58 Likes on 26 Posts
Unhappy What's up with Finspeed?

Hi guys,

This is not a rant.
I am trying to understand what's going on over at Finspeed as I was TRYING to buy 4-5 sets of wheels for 991.2 GT3's (one for me and the rest for customers). Are they closed? On a very long vacation? Just don't like selling wheels?
I contacted them months ago to inquire about what they recommend for the 991.2 and what fitment and style they use for track duty. After a couple of emails and a phone call or two I spoke to Daniel and he gave me a brief recommendation. I took that info back to my customers and sold the idea to them. All good! Next question was "how much" and "when can I get them?" 5 weeks later I still have no idea how much or if they are available...after I was sent a dealer application that I filled out and sent back to "Stacie" I never heard from them again. They have always been tough to reach on the phone and emails were very sporadic but this was non-existent.
4 calls and subsequent messages, at least 4 emails as well and I've never been contacted again. Super weird...

I did't speak to anyone long enough or enough detail to annoy or **** anyone off (and I'm a pretty nice guy) and I'm not infringing on anyone else's territory so there was no reason to not open me as a dealer.

Does anyone know what's going on over there?
Anyway, they lost the sales to Forgeline and that's ok by me as I know I'm getting a great product and will get support when if need it.
Old 02-25-2018, 09:05 AM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

I don't know the answer to your question, but I have a different one. With as much competition as there is in that market, with companies with excellent product AND reliable service.. why would anyone chase after or worry about a single supplier which isn't calling back?

Even if they're still in business, you're going to have problems at every point in the transaction, let alone with the after sales support and warranty if issues such arise.

Is this company doing something that unique that's its worth even taking an extra minute of time?
Old 02-25-2018, 09:12 AM
Chris R.
Rennlist Member

No, you are indeed right. I had heard good things about the products, they were i the right price range and the style appealed to me. being in canada with a long winter, it was not a huge rush (when I started) but now it's more urgent.
Lot's of options indeed... was hoping to be a little different than every other guy with the same wheels is all.
Perhaps the completion got them and they are quietly closing? Who knows...
Old 02-25-2018, 10:31 AM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,772 Likes on 1,020 Posts

If a company won’t respond to pre sales inquiries, God help you after they have your money.
Old 02-25-2018, 11:01 AM
DRPM
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by robmypro
If a company won’t respond to pre sales inquiries, God help you after they have your money.
^
indeed.
Run Forrest Run

Forgeline is a great alternative Chris!
Old 02-25-2018, 12:13 PM
911therapy
Rennlist Member

Received 84 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by DRPM

^
indeed.
Run Forrest Run

Forgeline is a great alternative Chris!
I second the forgelines. And for customer service, pricing, responsiveness, detailed and knowledgeable info - Brian at Competition Motorsports cannot be beat. I've bought a set of wheels and tires, rollbar, harness, HANS, Ai Solo 2 etc from them and nothing but a great experience.
Old 02-25-2018, 03:09 PM
CMS
Former Vendor

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Thank you, we appreciate the recommendation, 911therapy! We have Forgeline Competition Series wheels in stock ready for your color selection. We have the GS1R, GE1R, and VX1R for 991 GT3/GT3RS and 981 GT4 ready to go. We put together a lot of wheel/tire/TPMS packages with Hoosiers, Pirellis, Michelins, Bridgestones, etc. PM or email us for a quote on your next set of wheels and tires!

Originally Posted by 911therapy
I second the forgelines. And for customer service, pricing, responsiveness, detailed and knowledgeable info - Brian at Competition Motorsports cannot be beat. I've bought a set of wheels and tires, rollbar, harness, HANS, Ai Solo 2 etc from them and nothing but a great experience.

Last edited by CMS; 05-20-2018 at 10:56 PM. Reason: Clarification
Old 02-25-2018, 05:38 PM
Matt Lane
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 103 Posts

I remember trying to source a set of Fikse before they originally went titsup. There were enough warning signs, I was glad I waited. Moved on to BBS Motorsports and never looked back.

I with I had a 991.2 GT3 so I could have wheel problems though! Beautiful cars.

Cheers

Matt
Old 02-25-2018, 10:26 PM
Hams955
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by dfin23
Finspeed had a partnership dispute that was recently sorted out. I had a set in production at the time and they made sure I was taken care of. The original owners that I had always dealt with prevailed in the dispute (that got ugly enough to go in front of a judge).
I have owned several sets of Forgelines, and you’ll be fine with those, but Finspeed is a different class, for a little less money.
Comments about competition, warranty, or problems once they get your money are absolutely unfounded in this situation and there are hundreds of Porsche/Finspeed wheel customers that would agree. In fact, this thread is the only complaint I’ve ever seen about Finspeed - fairly rare in the wheel world.
I’m moving from a GT4 to a GT3. Had Finspeed’s on the GT4 and 997 before that and am wanting to order for the GT3. Turn times have always been 3-4 weeks.
I heard back from them on Friday from a VM I left on Thursday evening. She said they are working through a LONG list, as people are becoming aware they are ramping up before they were ready to get the word out. She said they are also moving to a dealer program and have been overwhelmed by requests.
They told me they aren’t going to accept funds from customers until they are 4 weeks from shipping.
Basically, I could order from someone else and wait several months or wait a month or two for Finspeed to book my order and have the wheels I want four weeks after that.

+1

Finspeed makes an excellent wheel of top notch quality and performance.

They halted production to sort out legal matters due to a business partnership dissolution. The prevailing partner of the company was the original founding member. They have NEVER left a customer holding the bag regarding funds; they just don't do that. They will soon be back in full swing production and I would strongly encourage anyone interested in them to check out their work.

- Chris.
Old 02-26-2018, 01:11 AM
Tay101
Rennlist Member

Received 215 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by dfin23
Finspeed had a partnership dispute that was recently sorted out. I had a set in production at the time and they made sure I was taken care of. The original owners that I had always dealt with prevailed in the dispute (that got ugly enough to go in front of a judge).
I have owned several sets of Forgelines, and you’ll be fine with those, but Finspeed is a different class, for a little less money.
Comments about competition, warranty, or problems once they get your money are absolutely unfounded in this situation and there are hundreds of Porsche/Finspeed wheel customers that would agree. In fact, this thread is the only complaint I’ve ever seen about Finspeed - fairly rare in the wheel world.
I’m moving from a GT4 to a GT3. Had Finspeed’s on the GT4 and 997 before that and am wanting to order for the GT3. Turn times have always been 3-4 weeks.
I heard back from them on Friday from a VM I left on Thursday evening. She said they are working through a LONG list, as people are becoming aware they are ramping up before they were ready to get the word out. She said they are also moving to a dealer program and have been overwhelmed by requests.
They told me they aren’t going to accept funds from customers until they are 4 weeks from shipping.
Basically, I could order from someone else and wait several months or wait a month or two for Finspeed to book my order and have the wheels I want four weeks after that.
Originally Posted by Hams955
+1

They halted production to sort out legal matters due to a business partnership dissolution. The prevailing partner of the company was the original founding member. They have NEVER left a customer holding the bag regarding funds; they just don't do that. They will soon be back in full swing production and I would strongly encourage anyone interested in them to check out their work.

- Chris.
+2

I have Finspeed's on my ACR and the quality is very good, especially for the price. They also test all their wheels on slicks.

When I was looking for wheels for my ACR they were one of the few companies that offered a knurled bead ring on the inside of the rim to prevent tire slippage. They were really easy to work with and didn't have to wait long at all to receive my wheels.

That being said, this was probably a year ago. I have been worried about them myself as their website hasn't been updated in a very long time and they never post on facebook or instagram. Its good to know that they are coming back.

Name:  urxtmDv.jpg
Views: 194
Size:  445.6 KB

Name:  VGHvtV0.jpg
Views: 142
Size:  340.1 KB

Name:  urxtmDv.jpg
Views: 194
Size:  445.6 KB

Name:  P9bouOs.jpg
Views: 166
Size:  481.0 KB

Name:  lCX6YuD.jpg
Views: 162
Size:  418.7 KB

Please don't point out that the American flag is backwards I told my vinyl guy multiple times the correct direction and of course he does it backwards It has been corrected since the pictures SaveSave

Last edited by Tay101; 02-26-2018 at 10:36 PM.
Old 02-26-2018, 07:45 AM
Chris R.
Rennlist Member

Well I'm glad to know that there was a reason behind my issue. I wish them well and hope they get back up to speed soon.

Stunning ACR!!
Old 02-26-2018, 08:19 PM
Tik
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Hams955
+1

- Chris.
Piling on. Finspeed's quality is second to none. It's a stellar product at any price, but when you factor in their pricing relative to other big names in the market, you're getting an incredible value. They've struggled through an ownership dispute but have finally arrived at the right outcome. I'm confident they'll be back up and running in short order.

I can second that their customer service is fantastic. I've had their wheels on my C7 Z06, my GT4, and will be ordering a set for my .2 GT3 as well. They stand behind their product and go the extra mile for their customers.
Old 02-26-2018, 08:39 PM
Quikag
Rennlist Member

Received 241 Likes on 90 Posts

Guess I might as well pile on too. I got an early Finspeed set for my 2010 ZR1 several years ago along with some Michelin S9H slicks and pounded the car through several track events. Mentioning to Daniel I was headed back out to COTA, he asked if I was willing to give him back the wheels and he’d bring a brand new set of wheels along with a brand new set of Michelin slicks to me at COTA with tire pressure sensors and everything ready to mount. I agreed. Duh.

Guess what he did with my old set? Structural analysis and destructive testing using some very expensive software and hardware he bought.

How many other wheel makers actually do that and validate their wheels for hard track abuse up to and including actual racing? I bought another set from him so I had two sets. One for beater slicks for DE and one for fresh slicks for time trial, etc. Finspeed is about as good as it gets for very high quality wheels that will hold up to track abuse. Factor in the fair price and great look/style and it’s a no brainer for me.
Old 05-13-2018, 04:55 PM
Tik
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by porscheguy88
Wow, does anyone else think it is weird that dfin23 is awfully similar to dfinke23 (who is Danial Finke, owner of Finspeed) on the corvette forum? That's pretty low to go onto the forums acting like a customer. Maybe it was this type of lying that got Finspeed into finical trouble...not once but TWICE.
Does anyone else think it is weird that your first post is a conspiracy theory?
Old 05-13-2018, 09:43 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,526 Likes on 1,573 Posts

I'm not sure what is more common, drama surrounding wheel companies or Mustangs crashing leaving C&C....
The following users liked this post:
F1SML8R (08-29-2020)

Quick Reply: What's up with Finspeed?