Sponsored by:

991.2 GT3 with wing to touring conversion help

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2018, 05:12 AM
Bardman
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Oldmxnut
- If you believe some comments, they have "different" suspension settings. Not sure to what extent or just marketing speak.
Ive not seen any comments to this effect. Chris who has both says no difference between the two.
Old 02-23-2018, 07:01 AM
Cormid
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

"The air intakes of the engine are different also:
- A central one for the Touring.
- Two side ones for the "regular"."

The following users liked this post:
BerlinDaniel (10-16-2022)
Old 02-23-2018, 07:04 AM
Cormid
Racer

would be easier to go from touring to 991.1 wing

Old 02-24-2018, 08:16 AM
Oldmxnut
Burning Brakes

Received 154 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by Bardman

Ive not seen any comments to this effect. Chris who has both says no difference between the two.
Yes apolgoies, I went looking but the comment was thinking off was comparing to earlier model. not same model with wing. But did find this comment from evo.

As a result of the aero changes there is less downforce produced, but there’s less drag too, with Touring Pack equipped GT3s quicker than a manual GT3 with the standard body. Cars fitted with the Touring Pack also require their ECUs to be reworked and this requires GT3s ordered with the Touring Pack to have a different wiring loom fitted. It’s one reason why existing GT3s can’t be retro-fitted with the Touring Pack.
Old 02-28-2018, 03:28 AM
cayenne-tt
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Oldmxnut
Yes apolgoies, I went looking but the comment was thinking off was comparing to earlier model. not same model with wing. But did find this comment from evo.

As a result of the aero changes there is less downforce produced, but there’s less drag too, with Touring Pack equipped GT3s quicker than a manual GT3 with the standard body. Cars fitted with the Touring Pack also require their ECUs to be reworked and this requires GT3s ordered with the Touring Pack to have a different wiring loom fitted. It’s one reason why existing GT3s can’t be retro-fitted with the Touring Pack.
thats too bad. It would have been cool to be able to retrofit a reg GT3 to a touring
Old 03-03-2018, 03:50 PM
Cormid
Racer

Trunk has different latch points too...just won't work
Old 03-03-2018, 04:21 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 41 Likes on 6 Posts

You'll throw so many computer faults its just not worth it. Sell it and buy yourself a GT touring model. Right now the resale values are so high that you should
be able to do it with little loss. But I agree with Ducati this is one of the weirdest posts ever. The GT3 is one of the most coveted 911s ever and your going to
make it a botched up thing that no one will ever want on resale.
Heck just buying a used 2014 GTS would be a better idea.
Old 03-03-2018, 06:26 PM
ReadyEddie
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't think it's a bad idea to figure out a way to make a reversible bolt-on conversion. I mean... I thought Porsche is known for myriads of options, no? As long as it doesn't damage the car, why not figure out ways to enjoy best of both worlds? I personally don't really care about resale value, since I wouldn't plan on selling the car. If anything I blame Porsche for giving us way too many choices to begin with. XD
Old 03-03-2018, 06:51 PM
1963SWC
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

I just want a second deckled to bolt on for those days I desire a different look. Touring style would be cool or even GT3 RS style and remove the uprights and wing. Will take both if someone can source them.
I have multiple sets of wheels now for no reason other than the color is different.
Have the GRP bypass (and exhaust valves disconnected) just to make it louder.
Also have the Magnagrafik stone guards just for the look as the car has film already.
And about 10 sets of seat covers.
Not planning to botch it up--just playing with a toy.
Old 03-13-2019, 07:44 AM
Agent_Orange
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by 1963SWC
I just want a second deckled to bolt on for those days I desire a different look. Touring style would be cool or even GT3 RS style and remove the uprights and wing. Will take both if someone can source them.
I have multiple sets of wheels now for no reason other than the color is different.
Have the GRP bypass (and exhaust valves disconnected) just to make it louder.
Also have the Magnagrafik stone guards just for the look as the car has film already.
And about 10 sets of seat covers.
Not planning to botch it up--just playing with a toy.
Just unbolt the wing and remove
Old 03-13-2019, 10:02 AM
ohniner
Rennlist Member

Received 277 Likes on 134 Posts

An easier way is for owners of GT3 with wing is to buy a second deck lid with the vents. Have a capable shop cut off the uprights, fill in and paint including painting the normally black vent intakes body color. Then it’s a simple bolt in and out.
Old 03-13-2019, 10:21 AM
tonymission
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by OldGuy
Sell it and buy yourself a GT touring model. Right now the resale values are so high that you should
be able to do it with little loss
Doubtful, unless you get a stripper spec touring. I got my a$$ kicked when I did it, but have absolutely no regrets.
Old 03-13-2019, 10:49 AM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Received 795 Likes on 545 Posts

In another thread, YippieKayei (probably mispelled it), has a plan to buy a GT3T and get a ducktail. He seems to have found an outfit that can do that. Maybe they can do the winged to ducktail / touring conversion too.
Old 03-13-2019, 11:49 AM
docjohnM
Racer

Received 44 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by ohniner
An easier way is for owners of GT3 with wing is to buy a second deck lid with the vents. Have a capable shop cut off the uprights, fill in and paint including painting the normally black vent intakes body color. Then it’s a simple bolt in and out.
100% correct!

And it would keep the better airbox from the GT3, with minimal disruptions. I've seen the vents made from Cf as well and they would look pretty decent.
Old 03-13-2019, 04:09 PM
Porsch
Banned

Received 250 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by tonymission
I got my a$$ kicked when I did it
how big a hit did you take?

Quick Reply: 991.2 GT3 with wing to touring conversion help