Sponsored by:

Trackday stuff Helmet and Hans suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2018, 08:57 PM
H82BL8
Pro

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Trackday stuff Helmet and Hans suggestions

I'm interested in doing some track days. I'm a rookie. I have completed Porsche masters training and Ford school in Salt lake.
I am looking into the gear/helmet that I need and tips required.

I am needing some advise of what I NEED to have done to the car and safety gear required.
Please help.
Old 02-21-2018, 09:26 PM
HEAT'N'COOL
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

It all depends on your budget. If you are just getting into it i would start with helmet and gloves, do a couple days an see how much you love it. A bell helmet is a solid start https://www.bellracing.com/Shop/Category/road-racing you can get one that starts around $399 and go up from there (thats what i did) an you won't be too deep into it if it isn't your thing. Once I found I love the sport i got, cage, hans, shoes, belts... and holy crap it is a deep hole.. One thing i would recommend is making sure your cars front clip is protected with a wrap.. as for as what you NEED to do to there car; make sure you have your car tech inspected. A good shop in your area can do this, even your your Porsche dealer can do it.

You will need a few things your first day (helmet, gloves, track map, water, snacks, a chair, clear mind, good attitude, numbers for your car, a portable tire pump) hope that helps. ENJOY
Old 02-21-2018, 09:39 PM
Palting
Rennlist Member

Received 238 Likes on 153 Posts

Just starting out, you'll be in the novice group. All you need is a helmet, a good ear and a willingness to listen to your instructor. The car at this level just needs to be roadworthy, nothing else. As heat'n'cool said, if you decide this is something you want to really get into, there's that deep hole with the slippery slope waiting you .

I went to Mosport for a joint DE with NNJR-PCA and a Canadian Porsche club. Most if not all Porsche clubs have a dedicated page in their website that talks about Drivers Ed. There's a lots of sound advice there, so make sure to read it.
Old 02-21-2018, 09:43 PM
H82BL8
Pro

with the helmets, what are required with the ratings?
Old 02-21-2018, 09:54 PM
Palting
Rennlist Member

SA 2010 or SA 2015 rated is accepted by pretty much all clubs. Get the SA 2015. Full face vs open face is a personal choice. Though most would recommend full face, I get claustrophobic and panic inside a full face. Make sure to try on before you buy, both to make sure they fit well, as not all same sized helmets actually fit the same, and to make sure you feel comfortable and not claustrophobic
Old 02-21-2018, 10:04 PM
Asco
Racer

Received 92 Likes on 25 Posts

I would suggest a helmet, Hans and harness. The harness will keep you well in place and you don't want to be using a harness with a helmet without a hans device as the loads on the neck are increasing due to additional weight from the helmet.
As for the helmet, I went with full face as you can use that for other things as well, e.g. karting.
Find a shop with a lot of different helmets and go with the one that feels more comfortable. I found the Arai GP-6S to be the one for me.
Stay safe and have fun!
Old 02-21-2018, 10:07 PM
HEAT'N'COOL
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Palting
SA 2010 or SA 2015 rated is accepted by pretty much all clubs. Get the SA 2015. Full face vs open face is a personal choice. Though most would recommend full face, I get claustrophobic and panic inside a full face. Make sure to try on before you buy, both to make sure they fit well, as not all same sized helmets actually fit the same, and to make sure you feel comfortable and not claustrophobic
I agree on the SA2015. I wouldn't get anything older like the SA 2010 (even though those helmets may be ok) your club may not accept that year sooner then later.

As Palting said, all you need is an open mind. The Novice group will not be fast. This is the time to learn about the track, yourself and to learn some techniques from your instructor! Be humble and turn on your learning ears! You are going to have a blast.
Old 02-21-2018, 10:08 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

You will be good to go with 3point belts and instructor. I have an open face Rally style Stilo Helmet I like a lot. To hot in Florida to closer the visor and do t need it in closed cockpit car. if only the idiots in charge would allow us to close windows in DE as is MANDATORY BECAUSE SAFER in Europe.

These automatics allow you to brace with your left leg. Do 10 or so track days with us instructor wannabe's.

Maybe then it's a good idea to get a roll bar, harnesses and Hans. Do not proceed to any mods until you paid for a good coach ;-)
Old 02-21-2018, 10:08 PM
Asco
Racer

Received 92 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Asco
I would suggest a helmet, Hans and harness. The harness will keep you well in place and you don't want to be using a harness with a helmet without a hans device as the loads on the neck are increasing due to additional weight from the helmet.
As for the helmet, I went with full face as you can use that for other things as well, e.g. karting.
Find a shop with a lot of different helmets and go with the one that feels more comfortable. I found the Arai GP-6S to be the one for me.
Stay safe and have fun!
Sorry, forgot that you guys in the US need to buy the roll bar separately, as it comes from factory in Europe.
Then maybe skip the harness and bar for now as the investment would be bigger.

P.S. if you need the harness, I have the red Schroth's that came with my RS from the factory, still in box and never used (both driver and passenger sides). I changed them to the black ones as they didn't match my interior.
Old 02-21-2018, 10:12 PM
HEAT'N'COOL
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Asco
Stay safe and have fun!
I agree with a Hans once he knows what he wants to do. A hans and harnesses he should be putting a half cage in, that alone is 3500 before install. AND if your want your instructor in the car with you you better have the harness for him as well.

Like i said, eventually, once you know you love it, start investing. See what you want to do first, then invest in all the safety equipment.
Old 02-21-2018, 10:21 PM
H82BL8
Pro

so, USA tracks mostly/all run windows down?

tow hook required etc?
Old 02-21-2018, 10:28 PM
zedcat
Rennlist Member

Received 356 Likes on 257 Posts

You would likely be placed in the beginner group with PCA, but having attended PSDS and FPRS, expect you would move up to the next groups soon. As others say helmet fit is critical. Lighter is better but more expensive. I prefer closed face. If your car is stock with 3 pt belts, you may want to consider the Simpson hybrid head restraint. It has been tested in the FMV frontal impact test with helmet and 3 pt belts and reduces neck tension. I have one and like it as it can be used either with 3 pt belts or 6 pts if you add rollbar and harness. You'll need a tech inspection but the GT3 is fast and capable without mods. Make sure your brake fluid is fresh (less than 6 months old) and consider going to a high temp fluid especially if driving on a hard braking track. I use Castrol SRF. Best of luck, have fun.
Old 02-21-2018, 10:46 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

Originally Posted by H82BL8

tow hook required etc?
Yup.
Old 02-21-2018, 10:48 PM
Boxers12
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Simpson makes a good option on Hans device which does not need a harness. I use if instructing in cars without harness. Called an R3 device. still expensive about $800 but works well. In regards to helmet the old saying goes if you have a $300 head buy a $300 helmet. just kidding. Invest in a good helmet since once you start you will continue. Should fit good also.
Old 02-21-2018, 10:50 PM
Palting
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by H82BL8

tow hook required etc?
Window down by the seat with someone in it. The easier to grab you and pull you out if needed. Tow hook is mandatory for some, not all clubs.

Don't know exactly where you are, but Watkins Glen and Mosport come to mind when you say Canada. Here are links to some info from Clubs that go to both: http://nnjr-pca.com/drivers-ed/ , and http://arpca.com/de/ . Once on the page, click on the other links.

WARNING: Drivng on the track is highly addicting. One dose of a day, and you can get hooked, forfeiting house, job, wife, family, life, for just one more day!

Quick Reply: Trackday stuff Helmet and Hans suggestions