Sponsored by:

Gt3 RS Hp/ Displacement liter

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2018, 05:32 AM
aamersa
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Gt3 RS Hp/ Displacement liter

I believe that the highest hp per liter achieved by ferrari in a NA engine was 4.5 * 135 = 605 for the speciale.

I believe porsche engineers are just as able to push the limits but on their peak NA car they have now done 4.0 * 130 = 520.

So they've left 20 hp on the table. Are they planning a special end of run beefier RS for 500 VIPs?

Or are they just playing it safe with the engine to avoid problems of pushing the envelope too far?

Perhaps porsche numbers are conservative and power is closer to 540? While ferrari's numbers are actual (not conservative).

How much of a factor is flat 6 vs V8 in this difference? I suspect not much or porsche would not have done even 130/liter, just 5 shy of the speciale's 135/liter.

I ask coz this gen 2 needed to hit 540-550 (even after exiting the hp wars) with the norm among other brands increasingly 700+ (be it with turbos).

You can only do so much on the turns, ultimately on track days non-professional drivers are only allowed to overtake on the straights so hp is very handy and needed.
Old 02-19-2018, 10:27 AM
Petevb
Rennlist Member

Received 704 Likes on 282 Posts

You may well be correct that Porsche has left something on the table at 520 hp- I’d also guessed slightly more. However hitting 135 hp/ liter with a 4.0l 6 is significantly more technically challenging than with a 4.5l 8, so the result is perhaps not entirely surprising. The Ferrari’s advantage is largely down to the geometry of its smaller cylinders and in particular how this relates to airflow.

Power comes down to the ability to breath at high RPM, and breathing is limited by the valves. Both engines squeeze the largest valves possible into their oversquare bores, but because the Ferrari has more, smaller cylinders it also gets also gets more, smaller valves. That doesn’t initially seem advantageous as more, smaller valves leaves the resulting valve area unchanged. However consider that at lower valve openings air must flow through the small gap around the perimeter of the valves, and it’s there that smaller cylinders have a big advantage.

The net is that the Ferrari’s V8 has roughly 12% more valve perimeter for its displacement. That lets it breath better and make power more easily, much like the engine in Porsche’s own 918 Spyder. This advantage can be seen even more clearly as cylinders get smaller still, where 200 hp per liter is achievable on modern super bikes like the bmw s1000rr using tiny .25 liter per cylinder displacements to simultaneously breath better and rev higher. Given that small cylinders are the key to making high specific output Porsche’s 130 hp/l from .67 liter cylinders is impressive compared to Ferrari’s 135 hp/l from .56 liters/ cylinder. For comparison the Atom V8 achieves its stratospheric 167 hp/l largely due to its tiny .375 liter cylinders (closing on half the size of the Porsche’s).

Bottom line I would not assume that headroom has been left for a future version at this time. I don’t see any real ability to increase revs, friction has largely already been removed to the extent possible and breathing must already be close to the limit. Simultaneously the shadow of tightening emissions regulations looms large. I’m sure more power is available with more substantial changes (I’m betting on a cam change and little else for the RS), but it seems possible that time’s run out for those revisions before the curtain comes down.

Old 02-19-2018, 10:38 AM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,388 Likes on 720 Posts

^ Yep- I am sure they can squeeze more out of the 4.0. I think that may be left for a "Swan" Song model or it is time to move on to FI.
Old 02-19-2018, 01:38 PM
A/S
Burning Brakes

Received 283 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by aamersa
I believe that the highest hp per liter achieved by ferrari in a NA engine was 4.5 * 135 = 605 for the speciale.
...and you really think a Speciale has 605hp? Reality Check: put Speciale and GT3 RS on the same dyno...
Old 02-19-2018, 02:08 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,721 Likes on 2,691 Posts

Originally Posted by Petevb
Bottom line I would not assume that headroom has been left for a future version at this time.
I agree. I think anything with more than 520hp will have to include more displacement or the addition of forced induction or electrical assistance.
Old 02-19-2018, 05:15 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,727 Likes on 914 Posts

I wonder how much of the small HP gap between GT3 and 3 RS is down to ram-air effect of RS intake and software tweaking to optimize this difference?
Old 02-19-2018, 05:16 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,721 Likes on 2,691 Posts

Originally Posted by Nizer
I wonder how much of the small HP gap between GT3 and 3 RS is down to ram-air effect of RS intake and software tweaking to optimize this difference?
None, engines are rated on a stationary dyno. Any benefit of the ram-air is in addition to the 520hp...

Quick Reply: Gt3 RS Hp/ Displacement liter