Robís 991.1 GT3 Journal: The Road to 100k Miles - Page 4 - Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Notices
991 GT3 GT3RS and 911R
Sponsored by:

Robís 991.1 GT3 Journal: The Road to 100k Miles

Old 03-09-2018, 12:19 PM
  #46  
robmypro
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist
Member
Thread Starter
 
robmypro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Colorado
Posts: 5,885
Default

Originally Posted by Buteo View Post
Rob- want to put some
miles on the car tomorrow morning? Maybe swing by Vehiclr vault?
You going, Tyler? If so, what time? I am a definite maybe!
robmypro is offline  
Old 03-09-2018, 12:33 PM
  #47  
avc2014
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
avc2014's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 63
Default

You guys stop, or we are all going to show up for a drive ( Therapy ) !!
avc2014 is offline  
Old 03-09-2018, 01:11 PM
  #48  
BCMgunner
User
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: San Antonio
Posts: 189
Default

I love that Rob is doing this! I commend the example heís setting in GT car ownership!

Id love to put some serious miles on mine and would love to take it to my parents house down along the border, but that means being 300 miles from the nearest Porsche dealer/service center.

Rob, what do you think is an ďessential kitĒ that should be kept in the car for taking a GT3 long distance? Center-lock key and a plastic center-lock guide?

What tires are you running? A question to all, can the Cup2s be trusted as much for picture resistance/long drives as the Super Sports? One flat tire and itís flat-bed out of middle-of-nowhere for us.
BCMgunner is offline  
Old 03-09-2018, 01:51 PM
  #49  
avc2014
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
avc2014's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 63
Default

IF you are worried about this, maybe check and see if the Michelin Super SPorts are available in a Run Flat ? I know the new C7 vette comes with run flats.
I dont know how much a run flat helps, but maybe it lets you limp in to the closest tire shop if you have an issue.
avc2014 is offline  
Old 03-09-2018, 01:55 PM
  #50  
R.Deacon
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
R.Deacon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: south Florida
Posts: 2,154
Default

Originally Posted by Alan C. View Post
Rob,
Probably around 2000. Did some Spring skiing at Copper, Vail and Snowmass. Lift tickets were cheap.
slightly OT : in my junior year at High school I convinced my mother to let me take the family Ford Torino Squire station wagon with two classmates on spring break from Boston to Vail what a trip , 36 hours Boston Denver , and what an awesome mountain , on the return we smuggled the back boot full of cases of Coors beer at time the unavailable on the east coast . that 302 purred along eastward bound hauling some smiling guys , Road trips still lovin em !!
Robs adventures reminded me too of such fun times on the road .

Last edited by R.Deacon; 03-09-2018 at 04:08 PM.
R.Deacon is online now  
Old 03-09-2018, 02:08 PM
  #51  
JRidge
User
 
JRidge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Madison, MS
Posts: 156
Default

I like your thinking. I just took delivery of a 991.2 GT3 and I've often said (I'm 51 now) that I'd like to be the 70-something-year-old man driving around in a 20+ year-old GT3 he's had since new. Like you, I don't expect to have time to own it for 40 years or a million miles but I'd be happy with 20+ years and well over 100k miles.
I don't expect to be tempted to trade up, as I'm a manual guy and a NA guy and I don't expect to see too many more of that combo, if any. And I've more or less promised the wife this is my last trade up - that my next trade, if there is one, will be lateral or backwards in age and/or cost. But ideally I'd like to keep - and drive - this car for a very long time.
I look forward to following your journey!
JRidge is offline  
Old 03-09-2018, 04:13 PM
  #52  
robmypro
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist
Member
Thread Starter
 
robmypro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Colorado
Posts: 5,885
Default

Originally Posted by avc2014 View Post
You guys stop, or we are all going to show up for a drive ( Therapy ) !!
Driving is the BEST therapy.

Originally Posted by BCMgunner View Post
I love that Rob is doing this! I commend the example heís setting in GT car ownership!

Id love to put some serious miles on mine and would love to take it to my parents house down along the border, but that means being 300 miles from the nearest Porsche dealer/service center.

Rob, what do you think is an ďessential kitĒ that should be kept in the car for taking a GT3 long distance? Center-lock key and a plastic center-lock guide?

What tires are you running? A question to all, can the Cup2s be trusted as much for picture resistance/long drives as the Super Sports? One flat tire and itís flat-bed out of middle-of-nowhere for us.
I have 22k miles on two sets of Cup 2's and so far no issues. Roadside assistance is all I count on. Flat-bed here we come lol.

Originally Posted by R.Deacon View Post
slightly OT : 1974 in my junior year at Holderness I convinced my mother to let me take the family Ford Torino Squire station wagon with two classmates on spring break from Boston to Vail what a trip , 36 hours Boston Denver , and what an awesome mountain , on the return we smuggled the back boot full of case of Coors beer at time the unavailable on the east coast . that 302 purred along eastward bound hauling some smiling guys , Road trips still lovin em !!
Robs adventures reminded me too of such fun times on the road .
Road trips are awesome, Deacon. Bring your car out here and let's hit some of our mountain roads. Twisty heaven, decent roads, and not crazy traffic. Our weather is pretty darn good in the winter, and no humidity in the summer.

Originally Posted by JRidge View Post
I like your thinking. I just took delivery of a 991.2 GT3 and I've often said (I'm 51 now) that I'd like to be the 70-something-year-old man driving around in a 20+ year-old GT3 he's had since new. Like you, I don't expect to have time to own it for 40 years or a million miles but I'd be happy with 20+ years and well over 100k miles.
I don't expect to be tempted to trade up, as I'm a manual guy and a NA guy and I don't expect to see too many more of that combo, if any. And I've more or less promised the wife this is my last trade up - that my next trade, if there is one, will be lateral or backwards in age and/or cost. But ideally I'd like to keep - and drive - this car for a very long time.
I look forward to following your journey!
The classic GT3. "Hey, this one runs on gas, dad!" lol

You will ultimately regret selling it for the latest and greatest. You know that already. These cars are what might be considered the pinnacle of "driving cars." And I don't say that hoping the value goes up. Values spiking would be the kiss of death of the driver car. Keep it, and spend your money on something else, Like your retirement. Oh, just kidding!
robmypro is offline  
Old 03-09-2018, 10:41 PM
  #53  
Buteo
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Buteo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Colorado
Posts: 1,525
Default

Originally Posted by robmypro View Post


You going, Tyler? If so, what time? I am a definite maybe!
Looking forward to tomorrow
Buteo is offline  
Old 03-10-2018, 12:55 AM
  #54  
Alan C.
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Alan C.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Ohio
Posts: 7,754
Default

I don't know why anyone wouldn't drive a GT3/GT4. I've ignored the odo on every Porsche I've owned.

Looking forward to logging another 2000 +/- mi. on next month's Smokies event. I should hit 20,000 mi. on the GT4 by mid summer. Who knows I may catch Rob before the years over.
Alan C. is offline  
Old 03-10-2018, 01:36 AM
  #55  
STG
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
STG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: FLORIDA
Posts: 13,188
Default

Road to 100K. Best value thread ever

What a way to maximize the enjoyment.
STG is offline  
Old 03-10-2018, 01:58 AM
  #56  
Akunob
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Akunob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 1,044
Default

Rob, you are my hero! Enjoy every glorious mile...hope to see you and your car featured in Excellence magazine someday.
Akunob is offline  
Old 03-10-2018, 02:08 AM
  #57  
robmypro
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist
Member
Thread Starter
 
robmypro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Colorado
Posts: 5,885
Default

Originally Posted by Buteo View Post
Looking forward to tomorrow
Me too, Tyler! I canít wait to hear those Dundon headers!

Originally Posted by Alan C. View Post
I don't know why anyone wouldn't drive a GT3/GT4. I've ignored the odo on every Porsche I've owned.

Looking forward to logging another 2000 +/- mi. on next month's Smokies event. I should hit 20,000 mi. on the GT4 by mid summer. Who knows I may catch Rob before the years over.
I accept your challenge,Alan.

Originally Posted by STG View Post
Road to 100K. Best value thread ever

What a way to maximize the enjoyment.
No kdding. This is true value.

Originally Posted by Akunob View Post
Rob, you are my hero! Enjoy every glorious mile...hope to see you and your car featured in Excellence magazine someday.
Thanks! I am and i will. Great car!
robmypro is offline  
Old 03-10-2018, 05:27 PM
  #58  
robmypro
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist
Member
Thread Starter
 
robmypro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Colorado
Posts: 5,885
Default

Cars and Coffee with the guys. Pretty good turnout for this location.





robmypro is offline  
Old 03-10-2018, 05:30 PM
  #59  
robmypro
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist
Member
Thread Starter
 
robmypro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Colorado
Posts: 5,885
Default

Also made a new Porsche fan on the way back. And yes, i gave it some love to cement his new passion!


robmypro is offline  
Old 03-12-2018, 03:56 AM
  #60  
Buteo
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Buteo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Colorado
Posts: 1,525
Default

Good times Rob! That last photo is priceless.
Buteo is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Robís 991.1 GT3 Journal: The Road to 100k Miles


Contact Us About Us Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: