Rob’s 991.1 GT3 Journal: The Road to 100k Miles

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2018, 11:19 AM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,772 Likes on 1,020 Posts

Originally Posted by Buteo
Rob- want to put some
miles on the car tomorrow morning? Maybe swing by Vehiclr vault?
You going, Tyler? If so, what time? I am a definite maybe!
Old 03-09-2018, 11:33 AM
avc2014
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 32 Posts

You guys stop, or we are all going to show up for a drive ( Therapy ) !!
Old 03-09-2018, 12:11 PM
BCMgunner
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 10 Posts

I love that Rob is doing this! I commend the example he’s setting in GT car ownership!

Id love to put some serious miles on mine and would love to take it to my parents house down along the border, but that means being 300 miles from the nearest Porsche dealer/service center.

Rob, what do you think is an “essential kit” that should be kept in the car for taking a GT3 long distance? Center-lock key and a plastic center-lock guide?

What tires are you running? A question to all, can the Cup2s be trusted as much for picture resistance/long drives as the Super Sports? One flat tire and it’s flat-bed out of middle-of-nowhere for us.
Old 03-09-2018, 12:51 PM
avc2014
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 32 Posts

IF you are worried about this, maybe check and see if the Michelin Super SPorts are available in a Run Flat ? I know the new C7 vette comes with run flats.
I dont know how much a run flat helps, but maybe it lets you limp in to the closest tire shop if you have an issue.
Old 03-09-2018, 12:55 PM
R.Deacon
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan C.
Rob,
Probably around 2000. Did some Spring skiing at Copper, Vail and Snowmass. Lift tickets were cheap.
slightly OT : in my junior year at High school I convinced my mother to let me take the family Ford Torino Squire station wagon with two classmates on spring break from Boston to Vail what a trip , 36 hours Boston Denver , and what an awesome mountain , on the return we smuggled the back boot full of cases of Coors beer at time the unavailable on the east coast . that 302 purred along eastward bound hauling some smiling guys , Road trips still lovin em !!
Robs adventures reminded me too of such fun times on the road .

Last edited by R.Deacon; 03-09-2018 at 03:08 PM.
Old 03-09-2018, 01:08 PM
JRidge
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I like your thinking. I just took delivery of a 991.2 GT3 and I've often said (I'm 51 now) that I'd like to be the 70-something-year-old man driving around in a 20+ year-old GT3 he's had since new. Like you, I don't expect to have time to own it for 40 years or a million miles but I'd be happy with 20+ years and well over 100k miles.
I don't expect to be tempted to trade up, as I'm a manual guy and a NA guy and I don't expect to see too many more of that combo, if any. And I've more or less promised the wife this is my last trade up - that my next trade, if there is one, will be lateral or backwards in age and/or cost. But ideally I'd like to keep - and drive - this car for a very long time.
I look forward to following your journey!
Old 03-09-2018, 03:13 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Originally Posted by avc2014
You guys stop, or we are all going to show up for a drive ( Therapy ) !!
Driving is the BEST therapy.

Originally Posted by BCMgunner
I love that Rob is doing this! I commend the example he’s setting in GT car ownership!

Id love to put some serious miles on mine and would love to take it to my parents house down along the border, but that means being 300 miles from the nearest Porsche dealer/service center.

Rob, what do you think is an “essential kit” that should be kept in the car for taking a GT3 long distance? Center-lock key and a plastic center-lock guide?

What tires are you running? A question to all, can the Cup2s be trusted as much for picture resistance/long drives as the Super Sports? One flat tire and it’s flat-bed out of middle-of-nowhere for us.
I have 22k miles on two sets of Cup 2's and so far no issues. Roadside assistance is all I count on. Flat-bed here we come lol.

Originally Posted by R.Deacon
slightly OT : 1974 in my junior year at Holderness I convinced my mother to let me take the family Ford Torino Squire station wagon with two classmates on spring break from Boston to Vail what a trip , 36 hours Boston Denver , and what an awesome mountain , on the return we smuggled the back boot full of case of Coors beer at time the unavailable on the east coast . that 302 purred along eastward bound hauling some smiling guys , Road trips still lovin em !!
Robs adventures reminded me too of such fun times on the road .
Road trips are awesome, Deacon. Bring your car out here and let's hit some of our mountain roads. Twisty heaven, decent roads, and not crazy traffic. Our weather is pretty darn good in the winter, and no humidity in the summer.

Originally Posted by JRidge
I like your thinking. I just took delivery of a 991.2 GT3 and I've often said (I'm 51 now) that I'd like to be the 70-something-year-old man driving around in a 20+ year-old GT3 he's had since new. Like you, I don't expect to have time to own it for 40 years or a million miles but I'd be happy with 20+ years and well over 100k miles.
I don't expect to be tempted to trade up, as I'm a manual guy and a NA guy and I don't expect to see too many more of that combo, if any. And I've more or less promised the wife this is my last trade up - that my next trade, if there is one, will be lateral or backwards in age and/or cost. But ideally I'd like to keep - and drive - this car for a very long time.
I look forward to following your journey!
The classic GT3. "Hey, this one runs on gas, dad!" lol

You will ultimately regret selling it for the latest and greatest. You know that already. These cars are what might be considered the pinnacle of "driving cars." And I don't say that hoping the value goes up. Values spiking would be the kiss of death of the driver car. Keep it, and spend your money on something else, Like your retirement. Oh, just kidding!
Old 03-09-2018, 09:41 PM
Buteo
Three Wheelin'

Received 41 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by robmypro

You going, Tyler? If so, what time? I am a definite maybe!
Looking forward to tomorrow
Old 03-09-2018, 11:55 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 983 Likes on 509 Posts

I don't know why anyone wouldn't drive a GT3/GT4. I've ignored the odo on every Porsche I've owned.

Looking forward to logging another 2000 +/- mi. on next month's Smokies event. I should hit 20,000 mi. on the GT4 by mid summer. Who knows I may catch Rob before the years over.
Old 03-10-2018, 12:36 AM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

Road to 100K. Best value thread ever

What a way to maximize the enjoyment.
Old 03-10-2018, 12:58 AM
Akunob
Rennlist Member

Received 896 Likes on 569 Posts

Rob, you are my hero! Enjoy every glorious mile...hope to see you and your car featured in Excellence magazine someday.
Old 03-10-2018, 01:08 AM
robmypro
Race Director

Originally Posted by Buteo
Looking forward to tomorrow
Me too, Tyler! I can’t wait to hear those Dundon headers!

Originally Posted by Alan C.
I don't know why anyone wouldn't drive a GT3/GT4. I've ignored the odo on every Porsche I've owned.

Looking forward to logging another 2000 +/- mi. on next month's Smokies event. I should hit 20,000 mi. on the GT4 by mid summer. Who knows I may catch Rob before the years over.
I accept your challenge,Alan.

Originally Posted by STG
Road to 100K. Best value thread ever

What a way to maximize the enjoyment.
No kdding. This is true value.

Originally Posted by Akunob
Rob, you are my hero! Enjoy every glorious mile...hope to see you and your car featured in Excellence magazine someday.
Thanks! I am and i will. Great car!
Old 03-10-2018, 04:27 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Cars and Coffee with the guys. Pretty good turnout for this location.

Old 03-10-2018, 04:30 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Also made a new Porsche fan on the way back. And yes, i gave it some love to cement his new passion!

Old 03-12-2018, 02:56 AM
Buteo
Three Wheelin'

Received 41 Likes on 19 Posts

Good times Rob! That last photo is priceless.

Quick Reply: Rob’s 991.1 GT3 Journal: The Road to 100k Miles