Robís 991.1 GT3 Journal: The Road to 100k Miles - Page 3 - Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Notices
991 GT3 GT3RS and 911R
Sponsored by:

Robís 991.1 GT3 Journal: The Road to 100k Miles

Old 02-19-2018, 06:56 AM
  #31  
Kobalt
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Kobalt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Europe
Posts: 4,104
Default

Originally Posted by robmypro View Post
So, why put so many miles on my GT3? First, i have zero interest in preserving the value of this car. I bought it to drive it, track it, wash it, mod it and experience everything about it.
Well thought, Sir.

Kobalt is offline  
Old 02-19-2018, 10:51 AM
  #32  
fskof
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
fskof's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Milwaukee, Wi
Posts: 1,751
Default

Great pics! Thanks for posting.
fskof is offline  
Old 02-19-2018, 01:14 PM
  #33  
robmypro
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist
Member
Thread Starter
 
robmypro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Colorado
Posts: 5,885
Default

Thanks everyone.
robmypro is offline  
Old 03-04-2018, 01:51 PM
  #34  
robmypro
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist
Member
Thread Starter
 
robmypro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Colorado
Posts: 5,885
Default






The weather was in the 60ís yesterday so decided to drive to Vail, going the back way through Breckenridge. It was about a 2.5 hour drive each way, with a few mountain passes, and tunnels on the way back. Here are some shots.

robmypro is offline  
Old 03-04-2018, 02:02 PM
  #35  
Alan C.
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Alan C.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Ohio
Posts: 7,754
Default

Great photos Rob. Those brought back some memories.
Alan C. is offline  
Old 03-04-2018, 02:26 PM
  #36  
robmypro
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist
Member
Thread Starter
 
robmypro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Colorado
Posts: 5,885
Default

Originally Posted by Alan C. View Post
Great photos Rob. Those brought back some memories.
Hi Alan,

When was the last time you visited Colorado?
robmypro is offline  
Old 03-04-2018, 03:16 PM
  #37  
Alan C.
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Alan C.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Ohio
Posts: 7,754
Default

Rob,
Probably around 2000. Did some Spring skiing at Copper, Vail and Snowmass. Lift tickets were cheap.
Alan C. is offline  
Old 03-04-2018, 03:20 PM
  #38  
Palting
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Palting's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: North Eastern US
Posts: 4,520
Default

Nice photos. Nice drive. You're going to put that warrantee and engine to the test
Palting is offline  
Old 03-04-2018, 03:38 PM
  #39  
robmypro
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist
Member
Thread Starter
 
robmypro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Colorado
Posts: 5,885
Default

Originally Posted by Alan C. View Post
Rob,
Probably around 2000. Did some Spring skiing at Copper, Vail and Snowmass. Lift tickets were cheap.
It has been too long! And yes, they run ski specials which are super reasonable.

Originally Posted by Palting View Post
Nice photos. Nice drive. You're going to put that warrantee and engine to the test
God willing lol. Thanks!
robmypro is offline  
Old 03-08-2018, 11:09 PM
  #40  
robmypro
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist
Member
Thread Starter
 
robmypro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Colorado
Posts: 5,885
Default

It was 69 F today, so guess who called in sick and took out his GT3?

Took a drive up to Grand Lake. About a two hour drive. Here are some pics.






robmypro is offline  
Old 03-08-2018, 11:21 PM
  #41  
shawfm
User
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 7
Default

dibs on whats left of the car...
shawfm is offline  
Old 03-08-2018, 11:23 PM
  #42  
robmypro
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist
Member
Thread Starter
 
robmypro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Colorado
Posts: 5,885
Default

Originally Posted by shawfm View Post
dibs on whats left of the car...
robmypro is offline  
Old 03-09-2018, 07:39 AM
  #43  
avc2014
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
avc2014's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 63
Default

You are a lucky man to be living in Colorado. It is one of the best areas in the US for great roads . The scenery and beauty is an added bonus. The lack of guardrails has always amazed me. Is it because of the snowfall that prevents them from installing guardrails in some areas ?
I find it suprising at the concerns that are voiced over putting miles on these modern P cars . There seems to be a lot of owners who worry about the number on the odometer and think they are going to wear the car out. When we look back at all the previous generations of the 911 there are so many of them that have gone way past 100k, 200k and beyond. To me there is no reason to think that the current generation of cars will not go even longer than the previous generations. I would bet that the engineers have test motors that have been run hard for at least 100k miles plus, to see what fails. I would assume that Porsche does this for every new generation of their motors.
As to the car itself, they can last a lifetime if one wants to keep them that long. Just take a close look at any well kept 911 from 40 years ago.
We will soon see some of these .1 GT cars going past 100k in the near future. Maybe there is already a few that are getting close ??
avc2014 is offline  
Old 03-09-2018, 10:56 AM
  #44  
Buteo
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Buteo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Colorado
Posts: 1,525
Default

Rob- want to put some
miles on the car tomorrow morning? Maybe swing by Vehiclr vault?
Buteo is offline  
Old 03-09-2018, 12:17 PM
  #45  
robmypro
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist
Member
Thread Starter
 
robmypro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Colorado
Posts: 5,885
Default

Originally Posted by avc2014 View Post
You are a lucky man to be living in Colorado. It is one of the best areas in the US for great roads . The scenery and beauty is an added bonus. The lack of guardrails has always amazed me. Is it because of the snowfall that prevents them from installing guardrails in some areas ?
I find it suprising at the concerns that are voiced over putting miles on these modern P cars . There seems to be a lot of owners who worry about the number on the odometer and think they are going to wear the car out. When we look back at all the previous generations of the 911 there are so many of them that have gone way past 100k, 200k and beyond. To me there is no reason to think that the current generation of cars will not go even longer than the previous generations. I would bet that the engineers have test motors that have been run hard for at least 100k miles plus, to see what fails. I would assume that Porsche does this for every new generation of their motors.
As to the car itself, they can last a lifetime if one wants to keep them that long. Just take a close look at any well kept 911 from 40 years ago.
We will soon see some of these .1 GT cars going past 100k in the near future. Maybe there is already a few that are getting close ??
Yeah, we are pretty spolied here when it comes to roads and scenery. I have no idea why we have no guardrails on some roads. Just donít screw up! As far as miles, i see no reason why this car wonít be running strong at 250k miles. Sure i will have put a new motor in it (4.2L!) and maybe a transmission by that time, but the car is built very high quality. It should hold up well.

Driving is the ultimate luxury of owning these cars.

robmypro is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Robís 991.1 GT3 Journal: The Road to 100k Miles


Contact Us About Us Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: