Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rob’s 991.1 GT3 Journal: The Road to 100k Miles

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2018, 12:53 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,772 Likes on 1,020 Posts

Thinking about a few mods for the car next year. Roll cage is definitely in the cards (in white) plus going to get a new windshield, and possibly get the wheels repainted. I want to get her back to 100% pristine. But she doesn’t look too bad right now, either.

Old 12-22-2018, 01:01 PM
Buteo
Three Wheelin'

Received 41 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by robmypro
Thinking about a few mods for the car next year. Roll cage is definitely in the cards (in white) plus going to get a new windshield, and possibly get the wheels repainted. I want to get her back to 100% pristine. But she doesn’t look too bad right now, either.
Rob, I ordered the CMS bar during their thanksgiving/Black Friday special this year. If you’d like to check mine out in the RS you are more than welcome to.

i had the same brand in my gt4 and found their product and customer service superb. Plus its a docol r8 which is stronger/safer than 4130.
Old 12-22-2018, 01:04 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,720 Likes on 2,691 Posts

Cool - would love to see it too
Old 12-22-2018, 01:05 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Originally Posted by Buteo

Rob, I ordered the CMS bar during their thanksgiving/Black Friday special this year. If you’d like to check mine out in the RS you are more than welcome to.

i had the same brand in my gt4 and found their product and customer service superb. Plus its a docol r8 which is stronger/safer than 4130.
Thanks buddy. That bar in your GT4 looked really good, so i would definitely consider CMS. You know i would love to check out the new beast as well!
Old 12-22-2018, 01:10 PM
Buteo
Three Wheelin'

Received 41 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by GrantG
Cool - would love to see it too
Definitely grant!

Thanks buddy. That bar in your GT4 looked really good, so i would definitely consider CMS. You know i would love to check out the new beast as well!
Here is their thread. https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-...roll-bars.html

The guys there don’t post nearly as much as some other vendors but calls/emails were prompt.
Old 12-22-2018, 02:17 PM
DoxCroc
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hi Rob and all,

Came across this thread with my occasional check of the "new post" button.

I have 32k on my GT4 so I may still be a bit ahead of Rob. I enjoy road tripping as well as track weekends and have been putting the 2 hobbies together. Had done all the tracks within a days drive here in Wisconsin. Also had been garaging for the winter with the GT4 as well as a previous 981s. This year had the opportunity to road trip with my son to the northwest. Did a track near Tacoma, drove down the coast and have the car at my father's house in SoCal for the winter. Took it to RRVI to park in the corral with hundreds of other Porsches. Went back for a track weekend at LS a few weeks ago. Hit Highway 198 on the way there and back.

I'll be picking it up and driving home to WI in April. I have the road trip planned out that includes Colorado highway 141 and a couple of nights at Gateway Resort. (Did that road in fall of '17 with 9 other 2 seaters and loved it). I'll drop my navigator off at Denver airport so she doesn't have to do the Nebraska crossing and am timing it to hit HPR for a Saturday in April to add to my track collection. When that trip gets closer, I'll need to see what roads Rob is doing when I am going to be driving from Grand Junction to Denver.

Mike
Old 12-22-2018, 02:32 PM
MovingChicane
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 35 Posts

I'm coming for you Rob, starting with a couple less zero's
But I'll work on it!

Old 01-10-2019, 12:23 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Originally Posted by DoxCroc
Hi Rob and all,

Came across this thread with my occasional check of the "new post" button.

I have 32k on my GT4 so I may still be a bit ahead of Rob. I enjoy road tripping as well as track weekends and have been putting the 2 hobbies together. Had done all the tracks within a days drive here in Wisconsin. Also had been garaging for the winter with the GT4 as well as a previous 981s. This year had the opportunity to road trip with my son to the northwest. Did a track near Tacoma, drove down the coast and have the car at my father's house in SoCal for the winter. Took it to RRVI to park in the corral with hundreds of other Porsches. Went back for a track weekend at LS a few weeks ago. Hit Highway 198 on the way there and back.

I'll be picking it up and driving home to WI in April. I have the road trip planned out that includes Colorado highway 141 and a couple of nights at Gateway Resort. (Did that road in fall of '17 with 9 other 2 seaters and loved it). I'll drop my navigator off at Denver airport so she doesn't have to do the Nebraska crossing and am timing it to hit HPR for a Saturday in April to add to my track collection. When that trip gets closer, I'll need to see what roads Rob is doing when I am going to be driving from Grand Junction to Denver.

Mike
Have fun Mike! I will try to post up a few routes for you. Tons to choose from!

Originally Posted by MovingChicane
I'm coming for you Rob, starting with a couple less zero's
But I'll work on it!

You have some work to do!
Old 01-10-2019, 12:25 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Had a chance to drive a buddy’s Scuderia yesterday. Very nice! The Scud does three things very well. Sound, sense of occassion, and steering feel. All are better than my GT3. Not nearly as brutal as i expected.

Old 01-10-2019, 12:47 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DoxCroc
I'll drop my navigator off at Denver airport so she doesn't have to do the Nebraska crossing and am timing it to hit HPR for a Saturday in April to add to my track collection. When that trip gets closer, I'll need to see what roads Rob is doing when I am going to be driving from Grand Junction to Denver.

Mike
Mike - give a shout if you want some company at HPR. In April, the Open Track days will tend to be on Fridays (weekends end in March and are used for organized events during the warmer months).

-Grant
Old 01-10-2019, 12:49 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Had a chance to drive a buddy’s Scuderia yesterday. Very nice! The Scud does three things very well. Sound, sense of occassion, and steering feel. All are better than my GT3. Not nearly as brutal as i expected.
Glad you got some F-car experience. Are you more or less smitten now?

Old 01-10-2019, 01:26 PM
DoxCroc
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Mike - give a shout if you want some company at HPR. In April, the Open Track days will tend to be on Fridays (weekends end in March and are used for organized events during the warmer months).

-Grant
Thanks for the advice, Grant.

I was looking at the calendar showing weekends alternating car / motorcycle. When I continued that into April I hoped to track on Saturday 4/27.
Looking back to the 2018 calendar, I see what you mean with the winter weekend schedule ending mid-April with a couple of cancelled Saturdays (snow?). Started open track Fridays on 4/27.

I've made reservations through Wed night and planned to hit Denver by Thursday so I could still make a Friday track day. The navigator wants to see something near Denver on Friday and then flies out of DIA on Friday evening (gets bored riding through the flatlands and says my car is too small), so making that change would mean cashing in some "Wife Acceptance Points" and abandoning her to Uber on Friday morning.

We'll see. Mike
Old 01-10-2019, 01:45 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Glad you got some F-car experience. Are you more or less smitten now?
Hey Grant. It was a great experience. A few things really stand out about the Scud. First, the user experience is so different. How to start the car, shift it, heck even pop the fuel cap. Just a wildly different user experience from any car I have owned. The sound is next level. The steering feeling is much more alive vs the GT3. The car is nimble. Steering is very light. Power wise, I think the GT3 is quicker. But the Scud engine revs differently. Feels like it has a lightweight flywheel as it just revs more freely. The view from the driver's seat is as good as the GT3. You have very good visibility. The transmission is a different animal altogether. I am spoiled rotten by my PDK, but the Scud transmission is not bad. It is just very different. It seems like the character of the shifts change depending on a lot of variables (speed, revs, etc.) and it gives the transmission an unpredictable nature to it. Definitely a learning curve! The sense of occasion is strong. You know you are driving something really special. The LWB seats were pretty comfortable. I never thought about them. They fit me quite well.

The contrast between the Scud and my GT3 is pretty dramatic. With my GT3 I take long drives, even 5 or 6 hours long, without thinking about it. So my GT3 is more of a "GT" car compared to the Scud, which feels a lot closer to a race car. But in bumpy road setting, the Scud is not that different with stiffness, or in feeling the bumps. I can picture myself taking the Scud out for shorter trips, maybe an hour or so max. It is more of a hooligan car tbh, and I think it would be best experienced in shorter chunks. The GT3 is more "take the wife out" but can be a hooligan car when you want it too.

Honestly, still on the fence. I don't think it would be too harsh for the wife, but I am not sure the car fits my use case ideally either. Still chewing on it.
Old 01-10-2019, 01:59 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hey Grant. It was a great experience. A few things really stand out about the Scud. First, the user experience is so different. How to start the car, shift it, heck even pop the fuel cap. Just a wildly different user experience from any car I have owned. The sound is next level. The steering feeling is much more alive vs the GT3. The car is nimble. Steering is very light. Power wise, I think the GT3 is quicker. But the Scud engine revs differently. Feels like it has a lightweight flywheel as it just revs more freely. The view from the driver's seat is as good as the GT3. You have very good visibility. The transmission is a different animal altogether. I am spoiled rotten by my PDK, but the Scud transmission is not bad. It is just very different. It seems like the character of the shifts change depending on a lot of variables (speed, revs, etc.) and it gives the transmission an unpredictable nature to it. Definitely a learning curve! The sense of occasion is strong. You know you are driving something really special. The LWB seats were pretty comfortable. I never thought about them. They fit me quite well.

The contrast between the Scud and my GT3 is pretty dramatic. With my GT3 I take long drives, even 5 or 6 hours long, without thinking about it. So my GT3 is more of a "GT" car compared to the Scud, which feels a lot closer to a race car. But in bumpy road setting, the Scud is not that different with stiffness, or in feeling the bumps. I can picture myself taking the Scud out for shorter trips, maybe an hour or so max. It is more of a hooligan car tbh, and I think it would be best experienced in shorter chunks. The GT3 is more "take the wife out" but can be a hooligan car when you want it too.

Honestly, still on the fence. I don't think it would be too harsh for the wife, but I am not sure the car fits my use case ideally either. Still chewing on it.
Great review, Rob! Keep us posted on what you decide

Old 01-10-2019, 02:06 PM
strettyend
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 22 Posts

More details on that E46? Looks like it has one serious wing!

Quick Reply: Rob’s 991.1 GT3 Journal: The Road to 100k Miles