Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

US vs ROW: Why different take rates for MT?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2018, 05:23 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

Originally Posted by robmypro
No worries! I was on a call while typing this and left off a smiley face or three!
My problem is being in Rennlist while on a video call and I get a smiley on my face and people wonder why the hell im smiling like a moron during a serious meeting.
Old 02-15-2018, 05:25 PM
Palting
Rennlist Member

Received 238 Likes on 153 Posts

Since it seems obvious that manual and PDK is a matter of preference, not a matter of which one is better, are we now exchanging personal histories about manual jeeps and trucks?

Okay then. I learned to drive on a WWII weapons carrier, then drove a ****** Jeep complete with bullet holes for authenticity to College. Both non-synchro manuals, but could climb hills and trees. I tried doing both. Then a Toyota SL, sweet little car with 4 speed. Somewhere long after a Honda Prelude was my bachelor days car, slick shifting 5 speed. Then a 996 C4S, then a Boxster S for the wife, both are still in my avatar, both 6 speed manuals. Progressively converted the 996 to a track toy, I can do the ballet of the 3 pedals with the best of them.

My incoming GT3? It's a PDK. HAH! It is my choice, I wanted it. Car and driver connectivity.....what?? My butt is connected to the seat, my hands are connected to the steering, my feet to the gas and brake pedal, all are connected to the car, and the car is connected to the road. My butt will tell me if the car is neutral, oversteering, understeering, commanding the pedals at my feet to let up or press more, my hands to turn the wheel more or loosen up more....Yes, my butt is the commander in chief of driving. What the heck will that lever in the middle of the console tell me, other than break the fine concert ballet of butt, hands and feet with the demand to get shoved up or down? That sucker is just a nuisance, I tell you. I got PDK to get rid of that nuisance
Old 02-15-2018, 05:35 PM
Just in time
Three Wheelin'

Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts

Those who have watched the CBS show Amazing Race have witnessed american adults of both sexes fail miserably at trying to drive a MT car. I guess for us knowing how to drive a manual efficiently is a thing of pride. Also do not discount the impact that auto journalists have on the mind of their readers. They always seem to wax poetic about the romanticisim of the MT experience. That could be construed by some as meaning superior rather than preferred.
Old 02-15-2018, 05:43 PM
esse10229
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by WenigerAberBeser
There are quite a few counties (mostly in Asia) that don't even offer the GT3 with a manual. China for example only let's you configure with PDK. Obviously, Porsche has probably done there market analysis for these countries and understands the take rate for manuals would be very low and would not want to do additional testing with the 6spd.
In China, most people took their driving test via MT cars. So it is not a big deal if you can drive a MT. In addition, for the places where the majority of GT3s will be purchase (Beijing, Shanghai) the traffic is so bad, it will be a nightmare driving a MT. Stop and go interval <1min and lasts for 30-40mins is normal.
I lived in US now and ordered my GT3 in PDK. I have a Miata to satisfy my need of a MT. With the power GT3 has, a MT GT3 will be a handful to drive fast if the road is not straight. Plus, with PDK I get a upgrade diff
Old 02-15-2018, 05:52 PM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 719 Likes on 394 Posts

In Europe they have those fancy exotics from Ferrari and Lamborghini with dual-clutch autos. They have Formula 1 with paddle shift gearboxes.
In America we have NASCAR and 6-speed manuals.
Makes perfect sense.
As an added bonus, we get bourbon here instead of snooty grape juice.
Old 02-15-2018, 05:59 PM
997rs4.0
Race Car

Received 110 Likes on 56 Posts

Being born and raised in Europe. Took ages to drive my first automatic, automatics where more expensive and using more gas that’s why nobody wanted to buy them. Gas is as we know very expensive in Europe.
If I could only have one sports car it would definately be a MT. However I strongly believe that the 991.2gt3 is better suited for the PDK. Really to fast for a normal weekend spirited drive PDK or MT doesn’t matter. MT sucks in stop and go traffic. And with the auto blip function on track a lot of the experince is gone anyway.
If you want a MT there are better options that are more rewarding to drive with a stick.
Old 02-15-2018, 06:00 PM
Psup4s
Burning Brakes

Received 122 Likes on 66 Posts

I do viedo calls on my speedos ��. Beauty of working from home lol
Old 02-15-2018, 06:04 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,772 Likes on 1,020 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
My problem is being in Rennlist while on a video call and I get a smiley on my face and people wonder why the hell im smiling like a moron during a serious meeting.
Been there! lol
Old 02-15-2018, 06:10 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Imagine if your average person started reading these manual vs PDK threads? They would most likely either laugh at us or shake their heads, wondering what these rich aholes are complaining about.

If the most pressing thing we have to talk about is manual vs PDK, my god are we lucky SOB's.
Old 02-15-2018, 06:27 PM
Psup4s
Burning Brakes

[QUOTE=robmypro;14804612]Imagine if your average person started reading these manual vs PDK threads? They would most likely either laugh at us or shake their heads, wondering what these rich aholes are complaining about.

If the most pressing thing we have to talk about is manual vs PDK, my god are we lucky

Rich?? Myself definitely NOT included lol
Old 02-15-2018, 06:33 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Originally Posted by Psup4s
Rich?? Myself definitely NOT included lol
It is all relative.
Old 02-15-2018, 06:37 PM
Psup4s
Burning Brakes

It is all relative.
Lol I got the cheapo broken engine ghetto gt3.1

Old 02-15-2018, 06:40 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Originally Posted by Psup4s
Lol I got the cheapo broken engine ghetto gt3.1
You are slumming, aren’t you? lol
Old 02-15-2018, 07:06 PM
Oldmxnut
Burning Brakes

Received 154 Likes on 79 Posts

Id be interested to know the take up of manuals in Australia actually. We are somewhat in the middle between what would be the motivation in the US as compared to Euro region. We have had much higher fuel taxes for some time, Automatics were always the more expensive / consumed more fuel, so everyone started with a manual.... but conversely, there was an alternative driver / masculine culture, myself included that held in high esteem manual drivers managing 500HP rear wheel tanks around Bathhurst. (the V8's ford and holden etc) .
Old 02-15-2018, 08:05 PM
Psup4s
Burning Brakes

You are slumming, aren’t you? lol
Ya'll are when I'm here Lol

Quick Reply: US vs ROW: Why different take rates for MT?