Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stripper for the street, touring edition. Missing anything?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2018, 08:36 PM
johnny2five
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Stripper for the street, touring edition. Missing anything?

It's technically not a stripper since I have most of the high-cost options, but I'm trying to eliminate the fluff. Goal = simple, comfortable, driver oriented car that will age well (will be a long-term keeper for me if rumors of last manual N/A are true).

Car is being built mainly for daytime weekend street and canyon driving. Have I gone too far in stripping away stuff? Am I missing anything?

Freebies:
Black $0
Touring Package - Exterior Package in Black $0
20" 911 GT3 Wheels $0
Smoking Package $0
Floor Mats $0
Luggage Net in Passenger Footwell $0
Brushed Aluminum Interior Package in Anthracite i.c.w. Leather Interior $0
Voice Control $0

$$ Options:
Leather/Cloth Interior Package in Black $3,480
Front Axle Lift System $2,590
Porsche Ceramic Composite Brake (PCCB) $9,210
Extended Range Fuel Tank, 23.7 gal $140
Full Bucket Seats $5,200
Seat Belts in Racing Yellow Porsche Exclusive Manufaktur $360 - have to have one piece of bling
BOSE® Surround Sound System $1,600

p.s. Sorry for another build thread. My build is locking soon and my wife is not helping (remove everything), and neither are my friends (add everything).
Old 02-14-2018, 08:49 PM
GT3
Three Wheelin'

Received 208 Likes on 106 Posts

Looks perfect. You’ve selected all the essentials, IMO. I would just add the auto dim mirrors, and remove the luggage net. Congrats.
Old 02-14-2018, 09:00 PM
Terrence
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by johnny2five
It's technically not a stripper since I have most of the high-cost options, but I'm trying to eliminate the fluff. Goal = simple, comfortable, driver oriented car that will age well (will be a long-term keeper for me if rumors of last manual N/A are true).

Car is being built mainly for daytime weekend street and canyon driving. Have I gone too far in stripping away stuff? Am I missing anything?

Freebies:
Black $0
20" 911 GT3 Wheels $0
Smoking Package $0
Floor Mats $0
Voice Control $0

$$ Options:
Full Bucket Seats $5,200
Seat Belts in Racing Yellow Porsche Exclusive Manufaktur $360 - have to have one piece of bling

p.s. Sorry for another build thread. My build is locking soon and my wife is not helping (remove everything), and neither are my friends (add everything).
I don't think it s a stripper at all and is actually nicely equipped. Only thing is black cars are hard to keep clean. Congrats!
Old 02-14-2018, 09:01 PM
Betelgeuse
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by johnny2five

Freebies:
Black $0
20" 911 GT3 Wheels $0
Smoking Package $0
Floor Mats $0
Voice Control $0

$$ Options:
Full Bucket Seats $5,200

Johnny, looks good (I also have black arriving end of March). I ordered mine with the 4-way ss+. I have LWBs on my 981 Spyder, and find them cumbersome for daily driving, and intend to use my Touring as a semi-DD. Unless you must have the buckets for the looks, you could put that money
into full leather (if you like leather), which makes the interior very rich looking. I also didn’t order the FAL, contrary to most on RL. You will love the
PCCBs... good luck!

Claudio
Old 02-14-2018, 09:07 PM
James Walker
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Bose is a waste
Old 02-14-2018, 09:17 PM
johnny2five
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by GT3
Looks perfect. You’ve selected all the essentials, IMO. I would just add the auto dim mirrors, and remove the luggage net. Congrats.
Thanks! I do 99% of driving in the day which is why I eliminated that.

Originally Posted by Terrence
I don't think it s a stripper at all and is actually nicely equipped. Only thing is black cars are hard to keep clean. Congrats!
Yeah, stripper is probably the wrong term. No frills? might be a better term. I may regret going black but i find washing my cars to be therapeutic so may be a good thing after all

Originally Posted by Betelgeuse

Johnny, looks good (I also have black arriving end of March). I ordered mine with the 4-way ss+. I have LWBs on my 981 Spyder, and find them cumbersome for daily driving, and intend to use my Touring as a semi-DD. Unless you must have the buckets for the looks, you could put that money
into full leather (if you like leather), which makes the interior very rich looking. I also didn’t order the FAL, contrary to most on RL. You will love the
PCCBs... good luck!

Claudio
I have buckets in my GT4 and love them. Did a 6 hour drive and felt perfectly comfortable despite having arthritis in my lower back. Plus they look awesome!

Never had pccb so excited to try. Figured they fit the driver oriented theme I'm trying to go after.

Originally Posted by James Walker
Bose is a waste
Hmm, may remove. I'm not that much of a stereo guy so maybe I won't miss it even during longer drives up and down the California coast?
Old 02-14-2018, 09:28 PM
lfish
Rennlist Member

Received 121 Likes on 50 Posts

Haven't compared the Bose with the stock system but I'm pleased with the Bose sound especially when paired with the Apple Car Play. But then again I'm still in the 2k mile break in period where I'm terrified to exceed 4k rpm...
Old 02-14-2018, 09:34 PM
redmonkey928
Rennlist Member

Received 317 Likes on 226 Posts

I would phrase this as a good DD - not a stripper (PCCB, Bose, Full leather, Axle Lift) with the options above. Creature comforts are in the build, would be fantastic as a road car. Good luck with the choices.
Old 02-14-2018, 09:42 PM
johnny2five
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by lfish
Haven't compared the Bose with the stock system but I'm pleased with the Bose sound especially when paired with the Apple Car Play. But then again I'm still in the 2k mile break in period where I'm terrified to exceed 4k rpm...
I should try to listen to them to compare. Maybe I'll swing by the dealer this weekend.

Originally Posted by redmonkey928
I would phrase this as a good DD - not a stripper (PCCB, Bose, Full leather, Axle Lift) with the options above. Creature comforts are in the build, would be fantastic as a road car. Good luck with the choices.
Thanks! I usually build my cars with a 1-3 year ownership period in mind so don't fret too much about options. But this will hopefully be a long-term keeper so it's been extra challenging to spec. I've gone back and forth a hundred times on color and chrome vs black trim.

Yeah, technically not a stripper. But it also won't be a DD so I don't need some of the creature comforts like LED, light design, extra leather, etc. I actually thought about going standard interior, but feel like it's wrong to have a $150k+ with a plastic dash.
Old 02-14-2018, 09:49 PM
Ascend
Three Wheelin'

Received 315 Likes on 179 Posts

Keep the bose. It's a car for "touring" after all. Not for racing.
Old 02-14-2018, 09:52 PM
Oldmxnut
Burning Brakes

Received 154 Likes on 79 Posts

Yes i would drop the BOSE and use the $ to add a bit more leather since its touring. If looking to save some money drop the buckets before the PCCB (given going light wheels) and put towards an XPEL or similar coating since its black.
Old 02-14-2018, 10:22 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,482 Likes on 2,269 Posts

simple
i like it
Old 02-14-2018, 10:40 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,858 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Near identical build here, just with platinum wheels, CF instead of anthracite and auto dimming mirrors. Pushing $175k though, so couldn't really call it a stripper.
Old 02-14-2018, 10:58 PM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 621 Likes on 433 Posts

Autodim was key for me. Up there with extended tank for “why not.”

I went standard everything that was not functional: Stereo/brakes/interior/wheels/headlights. Classed it up a bit with the free leather console/dash trim. My only “bling” is the fire extinguisher (my grubby hands would ruin yellow belts in no time). Only big dollar options are LWB and FAL.

Old 02-14-2018, 11:58 PM
Terrence
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

I would maybe drop the LWB. They are great looking but a PITA to use in many ways. Grand Touring” should mean long distance comfort, and they are OK for comfort once you are in, but a PITA to get in and out of, especially if you don’t want to crease the bolsters. Also has far less adjustments and too upright for daily use. Also too upright for track use if you wear a helmet. Just my opinion.

Quick Reply: Stripper for the street, touring edition. Missing anything?