Do any .2 owners still like their .1 better?? - Page 2 - Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Notices
991 GT3 GT3RS and 911R
Sponsored by:

Do any .2 owners still like their .1 better??

Reply

Old 02-14-2018, 04:46 PM
  #16  
Drifting
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Drifting's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: SoCal
Posts: 2,775
Default

Of course the .2 GT3 is a better car, with more power, better steering, better electronics. However, the improvements are modest, only 5% better than the old car.
The question is whether that 5% of improvement is worth 50,000-60,000 dollar difference between a .2 given the ADM that all .2s now have and the depreciation of a .1.
Drifting is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 05:25 PM
  #17  
robmypro
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist
Member
 
robmypro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Colorado
Posts: 4,594
Default

It is highly subjective in some areas, and not subjective at all in others.

Engine: The .2 has slightly more power and torque. This is not subjective.
Transmission: The .2 has the Manual option. This is not subjective.
Aesthetics: The .1 looks better to many people, myself included. Not even close. This is highly subjective.
Warranty: The .1 has a much longer engine warranty. This is not subjective.
Value: Unless you have to have the manual, the .1 is 95% of the car that the .2 is, for $50-70,000 less. This is not very subjective.

It just depends on how you weight the above factors. To some, upgrading is a no-brainer. To others it is throwing away money. No right or wrong answer.

I personally would not upgrade to the .2 for the following reasons:

1. The aesthetics of the .1 are far better imo. The .1 represented Porsche's best design ideas. The .2 looks too aggressive, and tries to stand out too much. I am not a fan of the front redesign, black bits, rear black air intakes, and how they cut into the wing at the back. I also don't car for the flat black wheels of the .2.
2. The interior of the .1 is more cohesive. I don't like the .2 seat stripes, and Apple car play is not well integrated. I don't talk on the phone when driving, and the jukebox is perfect in the .1. Apple Car Play does not show the map in the instrument cluster, like the stock one does, and it is clunky going from audio between the two. The .1 audio and maps work perfectly.
3. The extra power can be mostly recouped from a set of headers.
4. For an extra $50,000 to $70,000 I could buy another car. Heck, that is a big chunk down on an ACR. No way do I think it is worth it to upgrade.
5. There is that nice long engine warranty.

And lastly, this is clearly the best looking GT3 of all time. In my opinion, of course!

robmypro is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 06:02 PM
  #18  
Psup4s
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Psup4s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Here
Posts: 759
Default

Originally Posted by robmypro View Post
It is highly subjective in some areas, and not subjective at all in others.

Engine: The .2 has slightly more power and torque. This is not subjective.
Transmission: The .2 has the Manual option. This is not subjective.
Aesthetics: The .1 looks better to many people, myself included. Not even close. This is highly subjective.
Warranty: The .1 has a much longer engine warranty. This is not subjective.
Value: Unless you have to have the manual, the .1 is 95% of the car that the .2 is, for $50-70,000 less. This is not very subjective.

It just depends on how you weight the above factors. To some, upgrading is a no-brainer. To others it is throwing away money. No right or wrong answer.

I personally would not upgrade to the .2 for the following reasons:

1. The aesthetics of the .1 are far better imo. The .1 represented Porsche's best design ideas. The .2 looks too aggressive, and tries to stand out too much. I am not a fan of the front redesign, black bits, rear black air intakes, and how they cut into the wing at the back. I also don't car for the flat black wheels of the .2.
2. The interior of the .1 is more cohesive. I don't like the .2 seat stripes, and Apple car play is not well integrated. I don't talk on the phone when driving, and the jukebox is perfect in the .1. Apple Car Play does not show the map in the instrument cluster, like the stock one does, and it is clunky going from audio between the two. The .1 audio and maps work perfectly.
3. The extra power can be mostly recouped from a set of headers.
4. For an extra $50,000 to $70,000 I could buy another car. Heck, that is a big chunk down on an ACR. No way do I think it is worth it to upgrade.
5. There is that nice long engine warranty.

And lastly, this is clearly the best looking GT3 of all time. In my opinion, of course!

This is true. 95% of the people will not know the difference between the two. As mentioned, power can easily be alleviated by adding headers. I've heard people say .2 sounds better. Again, center muffler should take care of that if in fact the .2 sounds better. In the end, .1 seems to be the deal of the century at almost 70-80k less than the newer .2 taking into account the obscene ADMs people are still paying.
Psup4s is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 06:16 PM
  #19  
nlpamg
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 581
Default

No way. I like my .2 waaaaaay more than my .1.
nlpamg is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 06:17 PM
  #20  
robmypro
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist
Member
 
robmypro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Colorado
Posts: 4,594
Default

Originally Posted by Psup4s View Post
This is true. 95% of the people will not know the difference between the two. As mentioned, power can easily be alleviated by adding headers. I've heard people say .2 sounds better. Again, center muffler should take care of that if in fact the .2 sounds better. In the end, .1 seems to be the deal of the century at almost 70-80k less than the newer .2 taking into account the obscene ADMs people are still paying.
Yep, but i don’t blame anyone for buying the .2. Spend your money as you like. My opinion, or anyone else’s shouldn’t matter AT ALL.
robmypro is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 07:20 PM
  #21  
Psup4s
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Psup4s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Here
Posts: 759
Default

Originally Posted by nlpamg View Post
No way. I like my .2 waaaaaay more than my .1.
I bet you do, specially if manual

Originally Posted by robmypro View Post


Yep, but i don’t blame anyone for buying the .2. Spend your money as you like. My opinion, or anyone else’s shouldn’t matter AT ALL.
Exactly, not to mention it keeps values higher on 991s but we really don't care for value
Psup4s is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 07:22 PM
  #22  
robmypro
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist
Member
 
robmypro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Colorado
Posts: 4,594
Default

Originally Posted by Psup4s View Post
I bet you do, specially if manual
Exactly, not to mention it keeps values higher on 991s but we really don't care for value
Value begins when you turn the key.
robmypro is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 07:26 PM
  #23  
Psup4s
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Psup4s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Here
Posts: 759
Default

Originally Posted by robmypro View Post


Value begins when you turn the key.
Absolutely! I can't wait to see .2s at Smokies this year
Psup4s is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 07:32 PM
  #24  
Scott_997
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Scott_997's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: South Florida
Posts: 90
Default

I never felt that into my mark 1 like I did my 997.2 Paddles are boring for me. 991.2 IS THE WORLD TO ME!!!!!! So happy to have it in manual. AMAZING MACHINE. So now if I compare the .1 to .2 the .1 was just what it took to get to 2 and nothing more.
Scott_997 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 08:15 PM
  #25  
Mike in CA
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Mike in CA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: North Bay Area, CA
Posts: 11,851
Default

Originally Posted by Drifting View Post
Of course the .2 GT3 is a better car, with more power, better steering, better electronics. However, the improvements are modest, only 5% better than the old car.
The question is whether that 5% of improvement is worth 50,000-60,000 dollar difference between a .2 given the ADM that all .2s now have and the depreciation of a .1.
So true. It's hard to imagine anyone preferring a .1 over a .2 given a straight up choice of one or the other. But if you asked whether a potential owner would prefer a .1 and $50K+ or a .2, the question of which you'd like "better" might be a little tougher to answer. Or in my personal case, a little easier.
Mike in CA is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 08:31 PM
  #26  
Scott_997
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Scott_997's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: South Florida
Posts: 90
Default

only 5% huh? Lets be honest here, the 3.8 GT3 motor was a half cocked engine and will be a thorn in the side of Porsche for years to come. The 4.0 is above and beyond even the .1 RS it's a thoroughbred race engine. Finally we have a manual again.
The enjoyment is 100% greater for me.
This .2 is better in every way. A giant leap forward. Just like the 997.1 GT3 to the MK 2. Most of you won't remember those cars because you came onboard after PDK. That is the difference we are talking about here. Significant handling improvements too. The tech in cabin is fantastic as well.
Scott_997 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 09:14 PM
  #27  
Psup4s
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Psup4s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Here
Posts: 759
Default

Originally Posted by Scott_997 View Post
only 5% huh? Lets be honest here, the 3.8 GT3 motor was a half cocked engine and will be a thorn in the side of Porsche for years to come. The 4.0 is above and beyond even the .1 RS it's a thoroughbred race engine. Finally we have a manual again.
The enjoyment is 100% greater for me.
This .2 is better in every way. A giant leap forward. Just like the 997.1 GT3 to the MK 2. Most of you won't remember those cars because you came onboard after PDK. That is the difference we are talking about here. Significant handling improvements too. The tech in cabin is fantastic as well.
delete

Last edited by Psup4s; 02-14-2018 at 10:32 PM. Reason: wrong thread
Psup4s is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 09:18 PM
  #28  
porscheflat6
User
 
porscheflat6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: In my Garage
Posts: 1,623
Default

No my .2 is better in every way IMO.
porscheflat6 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 09:20 PM
  #29  
Psup4s
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Psup4s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Here
Posts: 759
Default

Originally Posted by porscheflat6 View Post
No my .2 is better in every way IMO.
LOL it should be you paid north of 200K for it
Psup4s is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 10:59 PM
  #30  
ipse dixit
Super User
 
ipse dixit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 5,422
Default

Originally Posted by mooty View Post
.2 is technically better.
which looks better, depends on whose looking at it.
but using the expression "raw" on .2 or .1 is incorrect. perhaps you have never driven a raw car....
Medium rare, perhaps?
ipse dixit is online now  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Do any .2 owners still like their .1 better??


Contact Us Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: