Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GT3 Touring Incoming - Back Seats Retrofit possible?

Old 02-14-2018, 10:38 AM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 621 Likes on 433 Posts

Originally Posted by shapiroeric
That's a joke, right?.....who do think pays for any medical/ rehabilitation bills if your child is injured in your own vehicle for an at fault accident?.....your insurance...and you can bet they would absolutely deny a claim if someone was sitting in the "back seat" of a car listed on the policy as a 2 seater.....
So you run it through your child’s health insurance if they do. Maybe GT3 owner’s carry hefty insurance for medical payments, but most people do not and the minimums won’t even cover an ER visit. Again, we are talking about your children, not someone else’s. And retrofitting additional seats has been commonplace, let alone refitting a factory seat. It’s pretty common to fit a third row seat to an SUV that did not come with them in that particular vehicle. Odds are the accident would have to be extreme for anyone to even notice to deny the claim.

But back to the tech question, anyone have photos of the seat belt mounts on a non-GT 911?
Old 02-14-2018, 10:50 AM
midwestamv8
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On the back of my 18 ways there are two big yellow stickers that say "THIS IS NOT A BACK SEAT. DO NOT SIT BACK HERE".

Just saying.
Old 02-14-2018, 11:15 AM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 718 Likes on 394 Posts

Originally Posted by Darren911
Want to be able to take the kids for rides -- safely.
If this is your goal, there is only one way to do that safely - in the front seat one at a time.
Old 02-14-2018, 11:24 AM
goin2drt
Race Car

Received 677 Likes on 371 Posts

This has to be one of the best threads ever.

On a serious note and without sounding like a complete a$$. Please don't. Your kids lives are not worth owning this car. The amount of safety and testing car companies do to ensure the safest car possible and you are thinking about retrofitting and having someone "ADD" seats where they are not supposed to be or meant to be.
Old 02-14-2018, 11:51 AM
Petevb
Rennlist Member

Received 704 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by fxz
The problem is the insurance or your responsibility to carry a child into a car without rear airbags and safety specifically designed car ???
criminal
My perspective may seem left field, but it appears straightforward for a competent engineer to insure a safer environment for a child in back than the factory. Not only can factory solutions be copied but improved upon, after all the factory must per regulation design around full size adults in back, and child seats are a different proposition. Much like a roll cage, halo seats or hans, however, the better solutions would necisitate compromises and investments most would be unable or unwilling to make in a street car.

Old 02-14-2018, 12:44 PM
bellatrix
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

I can't decide if the OP was just trolling. If so, well played!

If not: I entirely agree with "goin2drt" on the safety front. Just don't do it.

For another reason, I'm a litigation lawyer (in Canada). I can tell you that if you were in any kind of accident and the adjuster saw seats that had been aftermarket added to the car (even if the seats were "safer" than OEM, even if the kids in the back were not hurt: even if there was no one in those seats) there would be perfectly valid grounds to deny your claim. You may be able to fight that, and you might even win. But an insurance company would happily pay someone like me tens or even hundreds of thousands of dollars to deny a claim like that.
Old 02-14-2018, 02:20 PM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

I suppose your Canadian adjustor would deny all claims made by Petervb on his highly modified 69 912 as well.

Back to tech, anyone have pictures of the back of a 991 with the carpet removed?

Old 02-14-2018, 02:52 PM
Tangerine
Pro

Received 123 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by evilfij
It’s pretty common to fit a third row seat to an SUV that did not come with them in that particular vehicle. Odds are the accident would have to be extreme for anyone to even notice to deny the claim.
I'd believe this, but I also expect it would be to add/restore an option for the vehicle model which had it as an option. For example a BMW X5, not common with 3rd row seats, but you can get them. An X5 with or without rear seats is not a different car to the NTSB. And while we can look at a GT3 and a normal 911 and say they are "the same car", to the NTSB they are not and they list the GT3 as a 2 seat car.

Is someone willing to call up an insurance company and explain the situation to them and see if they would write a quote? We need to get an insurance adjuster in here to tell us what would happen if a case like this landed in their lap. We might be overreacting.
Old 02-14-2018, 04:19 PM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Just so everyone knows I am not completely crazy about people legally adding seats that were not factory.

https://expeditionportal.com/field-t...ssenger-seats/

Old 02-14-2018, 04:26 PM
ricsan
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The solution is easy:
purchase a GTS, more torque and 50hp off.
Old 02-14-2018, 04:38 PM
_fletch
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Just so everyone knows I am not completely crazy about people legally adding seats that were not factory.

Interesting. They mention their seats are "DOT Approved", I wonder what that's really about
Old 02-14-2018, 04:49 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 137 Posts

What insurance claim do you think you will have if you are in an accident with your own kid in the back? That you may not fully recover against another driver for injury to the child? An unisured/underinsured motorist claim on your own policy that won’t pay out? That your child will sue you when he/she turns 18? I suppose if you are cautious you probably should not take someone else’s kid back there (even that is debatable), but what claim are you worried about with your own kid? Keep in mind you are driving around where the vast majority of people are underinsured if they hit you in a GT3 from a property damage standpoint let alone injury and are judgment proof.

And this is even assuming that there could be a showing of contributory negligence in the seat install (seems unlikely that the seat/seat belt would fail).
You are missing the bigger picture. The GVWR of a GT3 is ~3,700lbs. Put in OEM back seats, and with 3 or 4 people the car will easily be over that weight. It is not inconceivable that somebody loses control of the car in that scenario resulting in injuries inside and/or outside the car...if you have deep pockets you'd better believe you will be named in a lawsuit.
Old 02-14-2018, 04:55 PM
Tangerine
Pro

Received 123 Likes on 70 Posts

That's pretty cool. If you can find a shop that will put in writing that they are installing DOT approved seats then that's great. Can someone take them a GT3 and get a quote?
Old 02-14-2018, 05:09 PM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Same issue in many cars re: GVWR, but unless you and your front passenger are really heavy, I don't see kids in the back putting you over the GVWR, at least no kids that would fit back there.

I guess everyone here drives the speed limit or less at all times too and has never slipped up and gone 56 in a 55. Does not drive when temps are below 45 degrees (owner's manual says you should not do that on stock tires). Has never installed a non-Porsche part on their car (again, owner's manual) including aftermarket wheels, tires, roll cage, brake pads, rotors etc.
Old 02-14-2018, 05:14 PM
8enny8lack
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr.Bill
If this is your goal, there is only one way to do that safely - in the front seat one at a time.
Well, that is just a silly statement.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: GT3 Touring Incoming - Back Seats Retrofit possible?