Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GT3 Touring Incoming - Back Seats Retrofit possible?

Old 12-22-2018, 01:27 AM
hellboy_mcqueen
Pro

Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts

Check this thread.
https://www.pff.de/index.php?thread/...ng/&pageNo=562

In PFF, one of the users have done this. It is now officially registered and passed TÜV.
It costs in Germany around 9000 eur. Some parts were not sold by Porsche to outside, hence they were produced in CNC. But no Isofix as it rrequired welding. He wrote that kids are over 10 years old.

I am considering as well. Including a foldable front passanger bucket. I have the non-foldable buckets.
Old 12-22-2018, 07:25 PM
Tangerine
Pro

Received 123 Likes on 70 Posts

That's fantastic news that someone has gone through and done it properly. Maybe this will lead to more information about the process so people in other regions could do it if they really want.

Short summary for US audience: cost approx $10,000 USD, a few parts had to be custom CNC milled, and it does not linclude LATCH connectors because that would require welding parts to the body. (increased cost and would make it difficult to return to stock, also might not be legal in the US)
Old 12-23-2018, 07:41 AM
_fletch
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I wonder if we could start a group buy on this to entice a vendor to take the leap?
Old 12-23-2018, 01:22 PM
Tangerine
Pro

Received 123 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by _fletch
I wonder if we could start a group buy on this to entice a vendor to take the leap?
The first step would be to figure out if the changed needs to be approved by any regulatory agency and how to do that. Above they mentioned "It is now officially registered and passed TÜV." but I'm not sure how to do stuff like that for non-classic cars in the US. Or maybe it would be easier to have the work done in Canada? USA will be tricky because of liability nonsense. Someone find a shop, point them at that thread, and ask how much.
Old 12-23-2018, 07:31 PM
hellboy_mcqueen
Pro

Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Tangerine
The first step would be to figure out if the changed needs to be approved by any regulatory agency and how to do that. Above they mentioned "It is now officially registered and passed TÜV." but I'm not sure how to do stuff like that for non-classic cars in the US. Or maybe it would be easier to have the work done in Canada? USA will be tricky because of liability nonsense. Someone find a shop, point them at that thread, and ask how much.
You have to register every change in the car at TÜV in Germany.
Even if you chnage the wheels. There are very few which doesnt require a check.
Otherwise the vehicle will be classified as no license to driven on public roads, that kills insurance or pretty much everything.
Old 12-26-2018, 07:48 AM
Perimeter
Rennlist Member

Received 328 Likes on 219 Posts
Default GT3 PANAMERA

Can you drop a GT3 engine in a Panamera?
Originally Posted by Cormid
OP, This is just an all-around bad idea. Consider a different car if back seats are needed.
Originally Posted by ricsan
The solution is easy:
purchase a GTS, more torque and 50hp off.
Safer but with seriously limited egress options. In a side impact the rear may be a trapped space
Originally Posted by Petevb

My perspective may seem left field, but it appears straightforward for a competent engineer to insure a safer environment for a child in back than the factory. Not only can factory solutions be copied but improved upon, after all the factory must per regulation design around full size adults in back, and child seats are a different proposition. Much like a roll cage, halo seats or hans, however, the better solutions would necisitate compromises and investments most would be unable or unwilling to make in a street car.

Old 12-26-2018, 03:10 PM
BrntRubber
Three Wheelin'

Received 249 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by _fletch
I am in the UK and count me in!

This would likely be a forever car with back seats
Old 12-28-2018, 10:50 AM
dieselino
Pro

Received 241 Likes on 103 Posts

I'm sure there would many people interested including myself. Glad to see the thread went back to talking about what the art of the possible is vs the legal implications of it. The body is the same and many of the trim components are common . This won't be something impossible and can be just like factory since it already exists on another vehicle.
Old 12-28-2018, 04:17 PM
bli8
Rennlist Member

Received 218 Likes on 119 Posts

I've looked into this for quite a while now (since my 996.2 GT3) and since my child is now only 7, she could stay in a child seat w/ built-in 5 point harness and I'd only need to use the LATCH system of the child seat to attach to the car. The top LATCH anchor is left there for all to see, but the bottom two anchors are missing. So my initial thought was to change the passenger LWB to a sofa for easier access, and then get the lower anchors welded back onto the car. But after mulling this over for weeks, I decided to just buy a Carrera T in PDK for me and the wife to haul the family around instead, and keep the mileage of the GT3 low.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: GT3 Touring Incoming - Back Seats Retrofit possible?