Sponsored by:

Is the GT3 Ride Height Adjustable?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2018, 10:33 PM
Money2536
Race Car

Received 228 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by Biff_Malibu
When adjusting height it should be done in the context of corner balancing. Simply raising and lowering based on tape measure measurements is unwise.

To date I have corner balanced and aligned all of my GT3s. Significant difference in handling.
Nah...lowering is and has been a performance oriented modification since the beginning of suspensions. Factory height is designed to balance performance, comfort, and aid in people not ripping the front bumper off. Lower the car, align, and I guess corner balance and you are good to go. Although to actually corner balance the car you'd need to add sand bags to offset the driver.
Old 02-13-2018, 10:36 PM
Money2536
Race Car

I lowered my GT3 and never bothered to have it aligned for the first set of tires. The car was fine. The RS sits much higher in the front from the factory, so I'll be heading to align. We'll throw it on the scales for fun and I guess corner balance it. Although, in my experience that never does much, especially on a car with a 35/65 weight distribution.

Old 02-14-2018, 07:23 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

Originally Posted by Biff_Malibu
When adjusting height it should be done in the context of corner balancing. Simply raising and lowering based on tape measure measurements is unwise.

To date I have corner balanced and aligned all of my GT3s. Significant difference in handling.
How does this work in a car with massive weight distribution issues like a 911?.. maybe on a 50/50 car like a mid-engine.. but on 911 how this work?
Old 02-14-2018, 11:16 PM
Money2536
Race Car

Originally Posted by CAlexio
How does this work in a car with massive weight distribution issues like a 911?.. maybe on a 50/50 car like a mid-engine.. but on 911 how this work?
I just took mine to get aligned and "corner balanced" today. I have always spent extra time measuring heights of both the actual coilover body then confirming by comparing the fender heights to get them close to where I want. I think it's pretty common knowledge that most set-ups end up with some rake rear to front due to rear engine position. It's about cross weights not front to rear weight distribution. Put the car on scales. You'd take the weight of the front left and rear right and vice versa to get a comparative distribution with you sitting in the driver's seat. The goal then would be to adjust the height or possibly sway bar stiffness to get the crossweights to equal 50%. Well...I've put about a dozen cars on scales over my 38 years on this earth, all of them ended up measuring within 2% of 50. The RS measured 49.75% without me in the car, then 51.2% with my 238lb rear end in the driver seat. I chalked it up to go to go. So as usual, we put the car on scales just for the fun of seeing how much the car weighed, 3354 with a full tank of gas. The whole corner balancing magic has largely been a waste of time and money for me.
Old 02-15-2018, 12:43 AM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,709 Likes on 2,686 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
Its not meant to put equal weight on each tire, but makes sure there are no significant differences left to right and more importantly you want the diagonal sums to be very close.

You still end up with 35/65 front rear split, or whatever it is now...

A properly corner-balanced car is faster and nicer to drive.
Old 02-15-2018, 11:06 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,953 Likes on 555 Posts

By angling the chassis (Rake) you control the "surge" effect of braking or the ability of the car to turn at various speeds.

General rules:

Lower nose= less air underneath the nose so it has more direct initial turn in.

Front vs rear ride height= the more rake the more the rear will rotate, for high speed stability you drop the rear 5mm or so. Very small adjustments here make huge differences

The rear steering masks a lot of the old problems inherent in track setup for a GT3/RS.

But the proper rake and nose height makes the car more reactive to the wheel. You also have to coordinate the sway bars to make sure that the rear grip is not overly compromised.
The following 2 users liked this post by C.J. Ichiban:
911-140.6 (11-29-2022), Perimeter (03-15-2020)
Old 02-15-2018, 02:49 PM
FourT6and2
Drifting

Received 652 Likes on 376 Posts

Are the stock sways on the GT3 cars adjustable?
Old 02-15-2018, 06:13 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,709 Likes on 2,686 Posts

Originally Posted by FourT6and2
Are the stock sways on the GT3 cars adjustable?

Yes, three holes to choose from for each of the 4 drop links...
Old 02-15-2018, 08:28 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,423 Likes on 2,237 Posts

taking mine directly from Stuttgart to Manthey Racing to get their magic applied!
Old 12-12-2018, 07:39 PM
Andi
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Does anyone have the factory spec for ride height measurements on a 991.1 GT3? Thanks, Cheers, Andi
Old 12-12-2018, 09:46 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
By angling the chassis (Rake) you control the "surge" effect of braking or the ability of the car to turn at various speeds.

General rules:

Lower nose= less air underneath the nose so it has more direct initial turn in.

Front vs rear ride height= the more rake the more the rear will rotate, for high speed stability you drop the rear 5mm or so. Very small adjustments here make huge differences

The rear steering masks a lot of the old problems inherent in track setup for a GT3/RS.

But the proper rake and nose height makes the car more reactive to the wheel. You also have to coordinate the sway bars to make sure that the rear grip is not overly compromised.
Any rule of thumb, basic ride height and rake tips for a GT3 .2? I prefer a neutral car and one that keeps the rear end from hanging out. I'm better at dealing with understeer (push) at the track than over steer (loose) feeling car.

Thanks!
Old 12-13-2018, 08:45 AM
Wild Weasel
Drifting

Received 294 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrums
I prefer a neutral car and one that keeps the rear end from hanging out. I'm better at dealing with understeer (push) at the track than over steer (loose) feeling car.
Did you consider something NOT with the engine hanging off the back?
Old 12-13-2018, 10:30 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Originally Posted by Wild Weasel
Did you consider something NOT with the engine hanging off the back?
Nope not at all... Porsche -There Is No Substitute ;-) .....I mean neutral as far as a GT3 is concerned ..LOL....
Old 12-13-2018, 10:32 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Originally Posted by Obsessed Garage
I lowered my GT3 and never bothered to have it aligned for the first set of tires. The car was fine. The RS sits much higher in the front from the factory, so I'll be heading to align. We'll throw it on the scales for fun and I guess corner balance it. Although, in my experience that never does much, especially on a car with a 35/65 weight distribution.

https://youtu.be/bwbXk4NzQlQ

https://www.youtube.com/edit?o=U&video_id=BvpfCghtnx8
In your 1st video you forgot to jiggle the spring loaded part of the center lock nut out flush. This locks the nut in place. Be careful of not forgetting this important part when finished torquing the center lock nuts.
Old 12-14-2018, 01:24 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,953 Likes on 555 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrums
Any rule of thumb, basic ride height and rake tips for a GT3 .2? I prefer a neutral car and one that keeps the rear end from hanging out. I'm better at dealing with understeer (push) at the track than over steer (loose) feeling car.

Thanks!
Drop front 1-2mm and the rear 3-4mm from stock and stiffen the front sway bar to one hole from full stiff as a start. That will keep rear planted and front from being too aggressive.

Personally I like the looser car set up because the rear steering negates a lot of rotation at higher speeds.

What I really dislike is a car that rolls and dives too much...the 675LT has spoiled me.

Quick Reply: Is the GT3 Ride Height Adjustable?