Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 991.2 GT3 manual concern

This arrived today and

Last edited by karter34; 02-07-2018 at 04:03 PM. Reason: Wrong
Old 02-07-2018, 04:02 PM
karter34
Advanced

This arrived today and I am a little unsure I have mixed feelings .

The car looks amazing, driving position and ergonomics are fantastic, the LWB seats are comfortable, I will get the adjusters for more rake .
100% need bolster protectors.
Started it up and I thought it lacked a bit of noise. I can see why people opt for a shark worx

Driving off I thought it's very compliant over bumps no different to my 997 Pdk turbo. Quite comfortable and not near as stiff as I thought . Considering this was to be a weekend only ca I was a bit disappointed as it could easily be a daily .
I also thought the gearing is too tall so bottom end torque is not that great, off the line it's not feeling at all a ballsy torque based engine.So around town it's an easy drive . I was hoping for a bit of a difficult car to drive with a heap of power , as in be careful with the power. Though really no need .

I would say the gears are to tall . when you get up in the rev range 1500 to 4000 equals nowhere . 5000-7000 is good torque from 7000 revs to 9000 the thing screams though lacks torque just screams , the down side is you are going too fast for the street. I found some back roads and gave it some and I found that the gears are a too tall , so 1st gear 100 kms second gear probably doing 160 kms per hour, so it's hard to use the motor wilth full range on the street .

Build quality is excellent and the car looks good.

My history with cars are mainly V8's or TT pDK so this one is not quite what I was expecting. It is a manual and the box is nice clutch is light and steering is good, direct . Car is planted .
Off tigh corners it will step out a bit .

Now I am of the belief warm the car up and then drive it so It been belted from 25kms on the clock . It free's up the engine. Car was too boring under 4000 revs.

Conclusion is , I need to spend more time in the car to make it work for me. So far I am a little disappointed however I can see why others love it. The cars looks fantastic and I love my options painted interior with full leather and LWB'a look fantasic

Anyway thanks for reading .
Old 02-07-2018, 04:05 PM
Randy M
Drifting

Received 709 Likes on 322 Posts

This is the argument for the GTS model on the street and/or for mainly street use as it has more torque down low.
Old 02-07-2018, 04:12 PM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 718 Likes on 394 Posts

That's typical of a GT3 - they don't really come alive until 4000rpms and above.
The following users liked this post:
vancity (02-27-2022)
Old 02-07-2018, 04:20 PM
drdonger
Three Wheelin'

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

DId you research this car before purchasing it? The GT3 is designed to be driven at high revs. It is a track focused car. It is not designed to put around town from 1000-4000rpms. If that is what you intend to do with it, then you bought the wrong car.
Old 02-07-2018, 04:22 PM
Cormid
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hopefully you can find a buyer
Old 02-07-2018, 04:23 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,772 Likes on 1,020 Posts

The GT3 is really a track car, meant to live above 5k RPM's. That is where all the magic happens. Definitely not a torque monster, so what you are seeing is normal. Learn to love the beast!
Old 02-07-2018, 04:32 PM
karter34
Advanced

Originally Posted by drdonger
DId you research this car before purchasing it? The GT3 is designed to be driven at high revs. It is a track focused car. It is not designed to put around town from 1000-4000rpms. If that is what you intend to do with it, then you bought the wrong car.

so what does that say about the touring
?

Its built for the road, same car except for wing .

DId i do my research? All I heard was amazing reviews faultless car, incredible, best car 2017.

I have seen all the video's

Look i I am not saying it's not good, just not quite what I expected .

To get it to rev out you are going to fast for street, gearing is too tall imho
Old 02-07-2018, 04:39 PM
Allennator
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do you think having a pdk would make it any better? The gearing would be different. Ofcourse the power below 4K rpm would remain the same but perhaps the pdk box would have the gear stay in the most powerful rev range? Just speculating... all the reviews I’ve seen have been pdk so far and I haven’t read of them seeming low on the low end of the revs if anything I’ve heard the low end has been significantly improved on the .2 GT3 but perhaps someone who’s owned both could chime in. All said I’m sure you’ll love the car once you get a proper drive done.
Old 02-07-2018, 04:45 PM
Psup4s
Burning Brakes

Received 122 Likes on 66 Posts

I think I saw your post on FB GT3 owner's club. Like others have mentioned, you need to rev the car for it come alive. As far as doing research, reviews are subjective and you won't get an idea until you drive the car. Give it more time and if you still don't like it I'm sure you can sell for what you paid for it.
Old 02-07-2018, 04:53 PM
Seth Thomas
Rennlist Member

Received 250 Likes on 121 Posts

Peak torque of the GT3 is at 6250 RPMs. Peak torque of a Turbo is at 2100 RPMs and 1.5X that of the GT3

GT3 revs to 9k to make power. Turbo revs to 7000 RPM

Gearing isn't the problem on the GT3 because what you are describing is the characteristics of the motor and the heritage of the car. Turbo is geared higher in every gear with 3 overdrive gears and a 3.44:1 final drive. GT3 is geared lower including the final drive (3.96:1) in every gear with a single .96 over drive in 6th.

So when you compare this to a turbo car there are a lot of differences in the way the cars make power and that is what you are feeling.

Last edited by Seth Thomas; 02-07-2018 at 04:54 PM. Reason: corrected # of OD gears
Old 02-07-2018, 05:01 PM
GT3 KSA
Three Wheelin'

Received 173 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by karter34
This arrived today and I am a little unsure I have mixed feelings .

The car looks amazing, driving position and ergonomics are fantastic, the LWB seats are comfortable, I will get the adjusters for more rake .
100% need bolster protectors.
Started it up and I thought it lacked a bit of noise. I can see why people opt for a shark worx

Driving off I thought it's very compliant over bumps no different to my 997 Pdk turbo. Quite comfortable and not near as stiff as I thought . Considering this was to be a weekend only ca I was a bit disappointed as it could easily be a daily .
I also thought the gearing is too tall so bottom end torque is not that great, off the line it's not feeling at all a ballsy torque based engine.So around town it's an easy drive . I was hoping for a bit of a difficult car to drive with a heap of power , as in be careful with the power. Though really no need .

I would say the gears are to tall . when you get up in the rev range 1500 to 4000 equals nowhere . 5000-7000 is good torque from 7000 revs to 9000 the thing screams though lacks torque just screams , the down side is you are going too fast for the street. I found some back roads and gave it some and I found that the gears are a too tall , so 1st gear 100 kms second gear probably doing 160 kms per hour, so it's hard to use the motor wilth full range on the street .

Build quality is excellent and the car looks good.

My history with cars are mainly V8's or TT pDK so this one is not quite what I was expecting. It is a manual and the box is nice clutch is light and steering is good, direct . Car is planted .
Off tigh corners it will step out a bit .

Now I am of the belief warm the car up and then drive it so It been belted from 25kms on the clock . It free's up the engine. Car was too boring under 4000 revs.

Conclusion is , I need to spend more time in the car to make it work for me. So far I am a little disappointed however I can see why others love it. The cars looks fantastic and I love my options painted interior with full leather and LWB'a look fantasic

Anyway thanks for reading .
Can you share some interior pics?
Old 02-07-2018, 05:01 PM
disden
Drifting

Received 951 Likes on 424 Posts

Its a great car, but agree it needs to be revved to truly enjoy. Add a bypass exhaust, it will help. I put on a GRP and it really helped. Funny, but I am not a big turbo fan because I've become addicted to engine noise and high rpms. You will too.
Old 02-07-2018, 05:04 PM
Todd B

Rennlist Member

Received 433 Likes on 325 Posts

Welcome to the Porsche NA world. To find the power you need to rev things a bit. I find it is all part of the enjoyment and engagement of the car. More fun then a turbo.
Old 02-07-2018, 05:18 PM
drdonger
Three Wheelin'

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by karter34

so what does that say about the touring
?

Its built for the road, same car except for wing .

DId i do my research? All I heard was amazing reviews faultless car, incredible, best car 2017.

I have seen all the video's

Look i I am not saying it's not good, just not quite what I expected .

To get it to rev out you are going to fast for street, gearing is too tall imho

You can still get through 1st-3rd gears on the street at around 5-7k rpms and still have fun. Who drives a GT3 around at 2-3k rpms?

Quick Reply: 991.2 GT3 manual concern