Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991.2 GT3 manual concern

Old 02-08-2018, 01:18 AM
karter34
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Howydo
I think the manual has taller gears than in the Pdk. I’ve had turbos , supercharged and huge displacement engines through the years but my 991.1 Gt3 Pdk never felt slow or lack luster . Liked it so much I bought a .2 Gt3 Pdk. It’s without a doubt one of the very best cars I’ve ever owned and likely a keeper. Not trying to insult anyone but you really need to be into drivers cars to feel, appreciate and understand the Gt3 . Anyone imo who prefers the turbo 911 isn’t a car guy / girl.
yet again all I am saying is the gearing is tall as when you get out of first gear you are doing around 100km per hour.
it oils be good to have shorter gears as I would like to rev the car out in two gears before hitting the brakes.
i am also suggesting that the car has no low down torque, this was a surprise as it needs to be revved to go.
It just different and I was not expecting it and thought it would be stronger down low.
Old 02-08-2018, 01:48 AM
ak432
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by karter34
This arrived today and I am a little unsure I have mixed feelings .

The car looks amazing, driving position and ergonomics are fantastic, the LWB seats are comfortable, I will get the adjusters for more rake .
100% need bolster protectors.
Started it up and I thought it lacked a bit of noise. I can see why people opt for a shark worx

Driving off I thought it's very compliant over bumps no different to my 997 Pdk turbo. Quite comfortable and not near as stiff as I thought . Considering this was to be a weekend only ca I was a bit disappointed as it could easily be a daily .
I also thought the gearing is too tall so bottom end torque is not that great, off the line it's not feeling at all a ballsy torque based engine.So around town it's an easy drive . I was hoping for a bit of a difficult car to drive with a heap of power , as in be careful with the power. Though really no need .

I would say the gears are to tall . when you get up in the rev range 1500 to 4000 equals nowhere . 5000-7000 is good torque from 7000 revs to 9000 the thing screams though lacks torque just screams , the down side is you are going too fast for the street. I found some back roads and gave it some and I found that the gears are a too tall , so 1st gear 100 kms second gear probably doing 160 kms per hour, so it's hard to use the motor wilth full range on the street .

Build quality is excellent and the car looks good.

My history with cars are mainly V8's or TT pDK so this one is not quite what I was expecting. It is a manual and the box is nice clutch is light and steering is good, direct . Car is planted .
Off tigh corners it will step out a bit .

Now I am of the belief warm the car up and then drive it so It been belted from 25kms on the clock . It free's up the engine. Car was too boring under 4000 revs.

Conclusion is , I need to spend more time in the car to make it work for me. So far I am a little disappointed however I can see why others love it. The cars looks fantastic and I love my options painted interior with full leather and LWB'a look fantasic

Anyway thanks for reading .
You need a Sharkwerks exhaust ASAP. That will solve some of the lack of visceral feel for you IMO. Car looks great btw.
Old 02-08-2018, 03:33 AM
karter34
Advanced

Someone wanted to see the interior .
it is lovely inside I tried to sports

luxury spec it
Old 02-08-2018, 03:34 AM
karter34
Advanced

Last edited by karter34; 02-08-2018 at 03:38 AM. Reason: Wring
Old 02-08-2018, 03:48 AM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 41 Likes on 6 Posts

This is the only weakness or soft spot or what ever you want to call it on a GT3. It’s the same all the way back to the 996 mk 2 GT3. It’s why Porsche spec’d the car for the PDK only on the 991.1 because it always keeps you right in the sweet spot. There just isn’t a lot of torque down low. The PDK solves this perfectly. If you want the car as a manual, and hooray for Porsche listening to the purists who wanted them to bring it back, you have to be in the right gear and in the right rev range to get the most out of it. I was tooling down the highway in 5th gear once in my 997.1 GT3 and a M3 came up and took off. By the time I got in the right gear he was gone. Had I been in a PDK I would have just stomped on it and caught him. On the track I wasn’t good enough to get at the right spot in the right gear on turns that were more difficult like combination corners with off camber, so the PDK solves all that for amateurs like myself.
For those who are good at all that, plus heel and toeing, they can make the manual sing, but you’re not going to get a turbo feeling out of this car at all. But this 4.0 has WAY more grunt down low than any of my past GT3s that’s for sure. In that regard it’s much better than before. But this is the way it is in every GT3, you’ll learn to love it. I hope
Pretty car though!
Old 02-08-2018, 05:15 AM
Taffy66
Burning Brakes

Received 372 Likes on 190 Posts

i will make enquiries. I would suggest you are spot on.
I am suprised others have not mentioned this issue as a concern .
I have a new GT3 and after much postulating went with PDK as i felt maybe it suits the engine's power delivery better..I came from a 991.2GTS PDK coupe which is a great car and a lot quicker than the GT3 in everyday driving on public highways..So for this reason i can fully understand what you're trying to get across here and i agree with you to a certain extent.The other day as i was dawdling along in manual mode at 40mph behind some slow traffic and i had a short chance to scoot past them..As i was already in a highish gear circa 2.5k i was surprised how much slower it took off compared to my GTS.
The GTS was no where as frustrating to run in as it was no chore to keep it under 5k however as the miles get higher i'm starting to prefer the GT3 now...All NASP GT Porsches needs high revs to come alive so more suited to tracks however for everyday driving the GTS is the better allrounder.
Out of interest what car did you drive before the new GT3..? My advice to you would give the new tight engine time to loosen up and see how it goes after about 1.5k miles as all GT engines take a while to loosen up..New GT engines have always been tight new .
In the mean time try to test drive the GTS and PDK GT3 to see if you prefer either and if so try to make a swap.
Life's way too short to waste it driving a car which you haven't fallen for and that applies for everybody..
Old 02-08-2018, 05:36 AM
Taffy66
Burning Brakes

Received 372 Likes on 190 Posts

And by the way please don't alter the final drive ratio as the gearing is identical to the 911R and pretty spot on IMO..Its just the characteristics of a highly tuned NASP with a 9k redline.The top gear on my PDK GT3 is already too short for cruising ie 75mph is 3k on the nose..
Old 02-08-2018, 05:38 AM
Jrtaylor9
Rennlist Member

Received 1,094 Likes on 541 Posts

You can still get through 1st-3rd gears on the street at around 5-7k rpms and still have fun. Who drives a GT3 around at 2-3k rpms?

i went through a national park twisties on the way home giving it . It's fine between 5-7000 REVS to crack to 9000 red line car is going to quick for the gear and down low it lacks torque . that's all I am saying
[/quote]

U bought the wrong car. If u r used to TT's it low rpm grunt American muscle type power delivery, this is the opposite experience; I don't like either much. If you like the chase to screaming redline, gt3 is your car.
Old 02-08-2018, 06:09 AM
Kobalt
Race Car

Received 418 Likes on 197 Posts

Sorry to hear that you're not happy with the car...

IMHO: The GT3's character suits the track best, there you really can let the engine sing and fully use the great brakes.

The only reason to drive a GT3 on street is to get to the track (Not true but it sounds good )
Old 02-08-2018, 06:50 AM
karter34
Advanced

The general response is amazing .... majority of you other than my Aussie stablemate are taking this thread way too personally.
i have paid $385 000.00 AU dollars for this car which is eqivulant to 300k US.
Though I am happy to offer some informed independent self afflicting criticism, I am more finacially committed to a GT3 than anyone else in the world due to our taxes etc. So all I am suggesting is the car has little low end torque and the gears are too tall. As oximut said , I would be more than happy to give away 80km top end speed if it meant I could row through the gears and really use the engine and gearbox to maximise enjoyment on the street .
imagine change a diff ratio and bang through
The gear 1st 2nd 3rd to red line as you only doing 135kmh .. that would be amazing.
I have given pros and cons only relying on my experience as an owner of many hundreds of cars -as I am a high end car dealer.
its almost like I have offended and exposed a conspiracy to keep the myth alive that these cars are the best of all time ever. And can't be faulted
now I expose this you are all coming out and saying that's what they are like and I chose he wrong car and it's normal for the car.
Well I can assure you I had not seen a review that reflected this at all anywhere .
All I am saying is the car has surprised me so basically the car is not as I expected .
Maybe a GTR benz would have been a better choice to drive on the roads . I am not sure .
Surely the GT3 must remind most of you of the old Mazda Capella I assume its very much like a Mazda rotary engine works at high REVS only.. seems I should have been made aware of this information before purchasing.
My main issue is it has tall gearing which means you can drive in first gear all day no need for the other 5 gears in our country as speed limit is 110 kmph

It's all good I will see what the next few kms have install and I'll hopefully change my driving style and expectiaons and love the car. I have waited 21/2 years for this thing and I just thought it would be different .

However no regrets
cause when I walk in the garage or sit in the car, I am emotionally attached to it. it is stunning in appearance and the finish is second to none , I love my choices of colour options and my chosen interior options just as much as the exterior . I enjoy looking at it, it is my garage art at the moment. So I will make an adjustment within my expectations and drive it as it has been built to be driven and see.
( can't heop
myself though as I write this I am thinking why such a tall first and 2nd Gear hahaa)
anyway iwill get over it and make the adjustment

Last edited by karter34; 02-08-2018 at 08:04 AM. Reason: Issue
The following users liked this post:
michaeldorian (07-09-2021)
Old 02-08-2018, 08:41 AM
Psup4s
Burning Brakes

Received 122 Likes on 66 Posts

The general response is amazing .... majority of you other than my Aussie stablemate are taking this thread way too personally.
i have paid $385 000.00 AU dollars for this car which is eqivulant to 300k US.
Though I am happy to offer some informed independent self afflicting criticism, I am more finacially committed to a GT3 than anyone else in the world due to our taxes etc. So all I am suggesting is the car has little low end torque and the gears are too tall. As oximut said , I would be more than happy to give away 80km top end speed if it meant I could row through the gears and really use the engine and gearbox to maximise enjoyment on the street .
imagine change a diff ratio and bang through
The gear 1st 2nd 3rd to red line as you only doing 135kmh .. that would be amazing.
I have given pros and cons only relying on my experience as an owner of many hundreds of cars -as I am a high end car dealer.
its almost like I have offended and exposed a conspiracy to keep the myth alive that these cars are the best of all time ever. And can't be faulted
now I expose this you are all coming out and saying that's what they are like and I chose he wrong car and it's normal for the car.
Well I can assure you I had not seen a review that reflected this at all anywhere .
All I am saying is the car has surprised me so basically the car is not as I expected .
Maybe a GTR benz would have been a better choice to drive on the roads . I am not sure .
Surely the GT3 must remind most of you of the old Mazda Capella I assume its very much like a Mazda rotary engine works at high REVS only.. seems I should have been made aware of this information before purchasing.
My main issue is it has tall gearing which means you can drive in first gear all day no need for the other 5 gears in our country as speed limit is 110 kmph

It's all good I will see what the next few kms have install and I'll hopefully change my driving style and expectiaons and love the car. I have waited 21/2 years for this thing and I just thought it would be different .

However no regrets
cause when I walk in the garage or sit in the car, I am emotionally attached to it. it is stunning in appearance and the finish is second to none , I love my choices of colour options and my chosen interior options just as much as the exterior . I enjoy looking at it, it is my garage art at the moment. So I will make an adjustment within my expectations and drive it as it has been built to be driven and see.
( can't heop
myself though as I write this I am thinking why such a tall first and 2nd Gear hahaa)
anyway iwill get over it and make the adjustment
You have the right attitude. I can see your point regarding the tall gears. In every forum you visit, any criticism might be taken personal and you will end up with responses that can only make you laugh. After all, gt3 6 speed is everybodys baby around here and a dream come true to many. Wish weather around here was warm so I can type less and drive more.
Old 02-08-2018, 09:21 AM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

Received 460 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
God could drop a perfect car fashioned out of angels tears from the heavens and Rennlisters would find something to complain about it.
Absolutely! Spot on!!
Old 02-08-2018, 09:44 AM
SKY57
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wrong expectation OP.
Even if it has low-end torque, simple straight line acceleration on the street is only 10% of the fun you paid for.
You need to take it to the track to enjoy it.
Old 02-08-2018, 09:56 AM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,857 Likes on 1,901 Posts

seems I should have been made aware of this information before purchasing.
[/left]
I'm sorry, wut?

Someone was supposed to tell you something that anyone who did their homework about the car already knew? Do you get mail under your rock?
Old 02-08-2018, 10:07 AM
Psup4s
Burning Brakes

Received 122 Likes on 66 Posts

is it too early for?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 991.2 GT3 manual concern