Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is your philosophy on buying and keeping cars?

Old 02-08-2018, 12:22 PM
997rs4.0
Race Car

Received 110 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by evilfij
I hoard. I need more garages at this point.
I have the same problem, buying and never seem to sell. They all have their special tricks.
Old 02-08-2018, 12:23 PM
soulsea
Rennlist Member

Received 1,707 Likes on 508 Posts

Originally Posted by Carrera2RS
An interesting perspective, but one that misses I fear one of the real qualities derived from long term ownership, the relationship. My watches are the same all over 10 years of ownership and I think (at least believe) I appreciated them more because of it. Seems you're getting the buzz and excitement of new things but never getting the chance to really 'bond' ?
Like Rob said it's just different sensibilities from people who are wired differently.

I cannot fathom or comprehend the idea of bonding or having a relationship with an inanimate physical object, unless it's a heirloom like a father's watch or car that was significant to them and memories are built into it ... but even then the actual bond is between the people, the object is just a representation of that bond and the 'relationship' isn't with the object itself.

Perhaps as you say I am missing out on what you call the qualities derived from long term ownership, but that's because those are not qualities to me because repetition is not a quality to me.

I do appreciate though that others are built differently, that's why I started by saying that I am an outlier in terms of the way I approach ownership. For example, it was about a year ago that I made a once in a lifetime barn find of a numbers matching 1965 911. I thought long and hard about whether to keep it and restore it or sell it, knowing how rare they are and that I'll never find another one. In the end I decided to sell because one, I know that since I am not a brand fanatic and I wasn't going to enjoy the restoration process, and second that other than driving the finished product a few times, I have no desire or great appreciation for slow classic cars. So I decided to sell it ... and it indeed went to someone in Germany who will deeply enjoy restoring the car over the next few years, will get huge satisfaction out off resurrecting the car back to life, will love driving it because of how much time/money/energy he devoted to it, and will likely keep it as a generational family heirloom. All of these things are positive and wonderful, they're just not my thing. I am 50, knock on wood I hopefully have about 20 more years in me where I can truly make the most of the vehicles I own, and have the maximum varied experiences within my budgetary constraint.

It's all good stuff, after all we're talking about how we approach things that bring us joy, that's the best kind of disagreements to have.
Old 02-08-2018, 12:33 PM
Catorce
Banned

Received 73 Likes on 45 Posts

I buy and keep forever, just look at my sig. Those are all cars I bought, drove, and then never sold. I hate selling. I am scarred due to selling off some really nice stuff in the early 2000s that I wish I had back. Won't repeat that mistake.
Old 02-08-2018, 12:49 PM
Psup4s
Burning Brakes

Received 122 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by soulsea
Like Rob said it's just different sensibilities from people who are wired differently.

I cannot fathom or comprehend the idea of bonding or having a relationship with an inanimate physical object, unless it's a heirloom like a father's watch or car that was significant to them and memories are built into it ... but even then the actual bond is between the people, the object is just a representation of that bond and the 'relationship' isn't with the object itself.

Perhaps as you say I am missing out on what you call the qualities derived from long term ownership, but that's because those are not qualities to me because repetition is not a quality to me.

I do appreciate though that others are built differently, that's why I started by saying that I am an outlier in terms of the way I approach ownership. For example, it was about a year ago that I made a once in a lifetime barn find of a numbers matching 1965 911. I thought long and hard about whether to keep it and restore it or sell it, knowing how rare they are and that I'll never find another one. In the end I decided to sell because one, I know that since I am not a brand fanatic and I wasn't going to enjoy the restoration process, and second that other than driving the finished product a few times, I have no desire or great appreciation for slow classic cars. So I decided to sell it ... and it indeed went to someone in Germany who will deeply enjoy restoring the car over the next few years, will get huge satisfaction out off resurrecting the car back to life, will love driving it because of how much time/money/energy he devoted to it, and will likely keep it as a generational family heirloom. All of these things are positive and wonderful, they're just not my thing. I am 50, knock on wood I hopefully have about 20 more years in me where I can truly make the most of the vehicles I own, and have the maximum varied experiences within my budgetary constraint.

It's all good stuff, after all we're talking about how we approach things that bring us joy, that's the best kind of disagreements to have.
+1 cars are like women, the more you can have and dispose the better
Old 02-08-2018, 12:52 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,772 Likes on 1,020 Posts

Originally Posted by Catorce
I buy and keep forever, just look at my sig. Those are all cars I bought, drove, and then never sold. I hate selling. I am scarred due to selling off some really nice stuff in the early 2000s that I wish I had back. Won't repeat that mistake.
I wonder how many guys here will regret selling their 991 GT3's 10 or 15 years from now?
Old 02-08-2018, 12:53 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,772 Likes on 1,020 Posts

Originally Posted by Psup4s
+1 cars are like women, the more you can have and dispose the better
It was only a matter of time before this thread went in that direction!
Old 02-08-2018, 12:57 PM
Psup4s
Burning Brakes

Received 122 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by robmypro
LOL had to wait 3 pages to post it just to give someone else the chance
Old 02-08-2018, 10:42 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 3,726 Likes on 2,165 Posts

I'm not impulsive about major purchases, and I research and deliberate for quite a while before buying cars. The result is that I tend to buy cars I like long-term, so I keep them long-term. Some cars were sold after a shorter time span because needs changed and space was limited, so they had to go, but I still miss them.

Now that we have a lot more garage space, I'm more in a mode to add rather than replace cars, but no hurry on that, since there are a lot more cars I like than I have space for, so I still need to choose carefully.

If I ever stopped going to the track, maybe I'd sell the GT3, but even then I might keep it, since the car feels special even when underutilized on the road.
Old 02-08-2018, 11:33 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,480 Likes on 2,269 Posts

LOL, see below

Originally Posted by soulsea

i have a car, a bmw pos, that i wont sell. i dont drive it either.
it has a big dimple or butt mark on the hood.....
let's just say i was in college and i can't wait until we got home.... so....
Old 02-08-2018, 11:48 PM
911therapy
Rennlist Member

Received 84 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by handful
No you misunderstood, I agree and I'm laughing because of his analogy.
Ha I knew you were picking up what he was putting down. I was just adding my playful (attempt) to it. As in, you laugh, I laugh, we all laugh because its the truth!
Old 02-08-2018, 11:53 PM
911therapy
Rennlist Member

It really just depends on where the gratification comes from. Some get the most enjoyment from the thrill of the chase, and the newness, while others get the most out of the long-term relationship. Definitely no wrong answers to this. Just how we are all wired. Of course i get the most from the relationship, just like you, but i can totally see the other side, too. I guess i am saying that people like soulsea don’t feel they are missing anything by not having long-term relationships with their cars, and they are probably right. For them it would provide very little satisfaction.

A good friend of mine offered to let me drive his 458 when we first met. I had never driven a Ferrari before, and still haven’t. My reasoning was that I felt uncomfortable driving a car that i wasn’t prepared to write a check for, if something bad happened. And while that is true, i also had another reason. I was afraid that driving a 458 would somehow cause me to appreciate my GT3 less. And that might eventually lead me to want something else, and that is a slippery slope to churning and burning cars. I found the sweet spot of satisfaction with my GT3 and i just didn’t want to screw that up. Ignorance is truly bliss. And I think there’s a fine line between where i am today, and where soulsea is at. A very fine line.
Exactly right Rob, I do not feel any loss whatsoever by not having a "bond" with a vehicle. I do not name them - wife does. I intentionally don't name them, because they wont be here to waste the name. The thrill of the hunt and excitement of the next great thing is what gives me the equivalent "bonding" feeling that others feel. But, like you, I can see the other side. It would be nice on the pocket book to be on the other side. That is, unless you hoard them and then it would actually cost more!
Old 02-08-2018, 11:56 PM
911therapy
Rennlist Member

I wonder how many guys here will regret selling their 991 GT3's 10 or 15 years from now?
My 991 GT3 has my attention more than any other car I've had thus far. But, I wouldnt hesitate to jump to an RS if the opportunity arose....see there, just my nature. Can't shake it
Old 02-08-2018, 11:58 PM
911therapy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mooty
LOL, see below

i have a car, a bmw pos, that i wont sell. i dont drive it either.
it has a big dimple or butt mark on the hood.....
let's just say i was in college and i can't wait until we got home.... so....
Hahahah - Wildman mooty.....Your wife ever ask about that dimple on the hood?
Old 02-09-2018, 12:09 AM
GeoJoe
Rennlist Member

Received 470 Likes on 223 Posts

I like the chase. Wanted an early 240z since the 80s, finally found one...fixed it up and now I'm torn on if I should sell it to make more room.

Tried to buy a GT4 as my first Porsche a few years ago. Searched all over and hardly any dealer would take my call. Then I rented a 911C4S from the Berlin Experience. Drove it to Prague for a night and filled out a survey when I returned it the next day stating I wanted to buy a GT4 from my local dealer. The next week I had an allocation. After 18 months its got 24 track days on it and loving every minute. Most amazing car I've ever had.

Now I have GT3 allocation...and wondering how the hell I'm going to keep all these toys. #needmoregarage #mywifelovesstickshiftsbudlightandcollegefootball
Old 02-09-2018, 01:14 AM
Andial
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 911therapy
My biggest depreciation hits have been anything manufactured by Mercedes.....from the AMG sedans to the G63 wagon. Dont know why I made the same mistake repeatedly - definition of insanity I suppose. loved them when I bought them, hated them shortly after buying, and hated even more the day I sold em....I clearly learned how to spend the money Mooty
I thought G Wagons held value well?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What is your philosophy on buying and keeping cars?