Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is your philosophy on buying and keeping cars?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2018, 03:49 PM
the2thdr
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Interesting thread. I went through about 15 cars in the same number of years. Not really too many that standout. An e46 M3, an e92 M3, 991 911 C4GTS, and the one that is left...a 2010 R8 V10 with Larini Race Exhaust/6sp manual.

And it is that last vehicle that made this thread interesting to me as I am contemplating selling my R8 for the GT3. Less than 10K miles on it and the longest I have had a vehicle (bought in Texas with 2000miles 6 years ago). I had always thought I would keep the R8 a long time with V10's being a rare commodity and that with a gated manual shifter. Still an eye turner to me. But the gravitational pull on that 991.2 GT3 with a configurable allocation is strong.

And I continue to debate this in my head...
Old 02-15-2018, 04:42 AM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Received 796 Likes on 546 Posts

Very interesting thread. I'm in early fifties and been a Porsche guy all the way. Started with an 85 Carrera, 964 etc. Strayed to BMWs and Mercs but realized errors of my ways.

i have a little attachment to my cars. Got my 997.2 S and still really like it. No plans to sell it. Don't have unlimited funds, so had to take care of kids edu and college plus housing here is a little pricey.

But this year I got two ends.. 993 and Performante (on a whim). Performante is really fun. 993 feels like a completely different era. I will keep the 993. My favoriate car to get is the GT3 and I will probably get this crazy Performante out of my system and then get a GT3. Love Porsche except the part about buying a GT car ��. Too much of a hassle..
Old 02-15-2018, 09:02 AM
dawgdog
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I started out in BMWs and loved my e92 M3 which I modified and tracked heavily. Decided before death would like to own a Porsche so in 2012 bought a CPO 2010 997.2 RS. Enjoyed that car a lot, drove it daily and tracked it relentlessly. Back issues and advancing age made it a little too raw for me. Bought a 2016 GT3 from an enthusiast with 2500 miles on it and absolutely love it. Comfortable to drive to far away tracks and almost no modifications needed. Drive to track in comfort, let air out of tires and go. Do not daily drive because of fear of carless drivers. Learned that lesson with the RS. I am planning on using the full 10 year 120,000 mile engine warranty because I am in love with this car and my abilities will never, in this lifetime, match or exceed this cars. Thank you Robymo for your part in getting this incredible engine warranty.
Old 02-15-2018, 01:34 PM
HenryPcar
Three Wheelin'

Received 233 Likes on 168 Posts
Wink

If at all possible, I never buy new. The key to getting a good used one is to be patient and get to know the owner instead of buying from some other clueless dealer. Perhaps its just me, because I enjoy working on cars, especially Porsche 911 which in instead is a solid car and not terribly difficult to work on. Quite normally after purchasing a used car, I restore it completely, both exterior, mechnically and interior. As long as the body have no major issues, I am most likely able to polish out any blemishes or swirl marks. Even minor dings can be repaired easily. The its the minor maintenance issues like coils, spark plugs, fluid flushes, brakes and rotors are worked on. After I'm done, normally the car is back in showroom condition and that's how I like my cars. But than I don't baby them. I drive it but not abuse them.
Old 02-15-2018, 03:59 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,772 Likes on 1,020 Posts

Originally Posted by dawgdog
I started out in BMWs and loved my e92 M3 which I modified and tracked heavily. Decided before death would like to own a Porsche so in 2012 bought a CPO 2010 997.2 RS. Enjoyed that car a lot, drove it daily and tracked it relentlessly. Back issues and advancing age made it a little too raw for me. Bought a 2016 GT3 from an enthusiast with 2500 miles on it and absolutely love it. Comfortable to drive to far away tracks and almost no modifications needed. Drive to track in comfort, let air out of tires and go. Do not daily drive because of fear of carless drivers. Learned that lesson with the RS. I am planning on using the full 10 year 120,000 mile engine warranty because I am in love with this car and my abilities will never, in this lifetime, match or exceed this cars. Thank you Robymo for your part in getting this incredible engine warranty.
Old 02-24-2018, 01:41 PM
Cormid
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hope to keep the Porsches, comfortable selling the rest
Old 02-24-2018, 07:28 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 3,790 Likes on 2,193 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold
A guy I was chatting with in the audio shop recommended these: https://www.kefdirect.com/ls50w-powe...c-system.html. Reviews on the sound quality are glowing, so I'm seriously considering them.
Originally Posted by Serge944

I think this is the best sound for 2k on the market. Same UNIQ driver as the Blade, and the built in DSP gets a lot more low end extension than the passive LS50.

Hard to beat in a small/medium size room.
I bought them. Excellent sound! Some kind of sorcery going on to get this much real and controlled low end out of such a small box - subwoofer definitely not needed. They go surprisingly loud, and are happy to be loud. I see a bright future for integrated speakers like this - makes a lot of sense to design the speakers, DACs, amps, crossovers, as DSP as one system.
Old 03-22-2018, 10:31 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 3,790 Likes on 2,193 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold
Keep in mind that our ears/minds actively shape what we perceive to hear, we don't just passively 'hear'. Regarding blind testing, see this: https://numeralnine.wordpress.com/20...cal-consumer/. Proper blind testing requires controlled conditions and statistical analysis of the results, otherwise we can draw the wrong conclusions merely because we guessed correctly.
I need to eat some of my words here. After comparing three headphone DAC/amps, there are clear differences in the sound quality. Chord Hugo 2 > Chord Mojo > Dragonfly Red. I was skeptical and expected them to sound essentially the same, but they definitely don't.
Old 03-14-2020, 09:51 PM
Gixxerboy63
Racer

Received 140 Likes on 73 Posts

Each time I start a new project, I try to convince myself that this one is the "Keeper!"
...Then after a few years of modding and getting the car perfected to my taste, I will end up parting it out and moving on to the next big thing.
If I could have afforded to keep them all, I would have to have a small warehouse!

(Short list of would be "Keepers")
1970 Porsche 911e
1979 Alpina 635
1984 BMW 533i Euro spec
1989 BMW M3
1995 540i M-Sport (500 whp Supercharged)
1998 M3 Sedan
2010 X5M (700 awhp)
2017 BMW M4 500 hp (one of a kind GTS tribute)
2014 Porsche Turbo S

I DO think my 2014 911 Turbo S will manage to stay with me for a longer period of time than the others.
I have climbed to the top of my (obtainable) wish list, so UNTIL I can afford a GT2RS or a Stinger, I am going to mod the Turbo S to my liking and enjoy the snoot out of it for years to come!

My Strategy; When I start to feel like I am getting bored with it, I will change the wheels, wing or simply wrap it in a different color!

Only Time will tell!
Old 03-14-2020, 10:45 PM
Einmalig
Rennlist Member

Received 126 Likes on 57 Posts

Rob, great topic. This is the type of post that keeps me interested in Rennlist. I have had several 911s and GT cars including my my current 2018 6 Speed. Lately I’ve been thinking about whether or not to order the next GT3 and have decided to keep what I have instead of mindlessly ordering the next new shiny object.

This was made a bit easier as I’m not a fan of the new 992 interior, virtual instrument panel or rear end design. I can’t help but feel that the 991.2 GT3 is a sweet spot in the evolution of the 911. Classic styling, great gearbox, 500 horsepower, proven durability, rear wheel steering, etc. what more could I want?

My first Porsche was a 993 and it didn’t take me long to realize that I didn’t want to trade it for a 996. I later owned 3 different 997s including a GT3 which were all great cars in their own right. Sometimes we just need to realize that what we have is worth keeping. I’ve never regretted not buying a car, but I have definitely regretted selling a few.

Old 03-15-2020, 10:14 AM
itrsteve
Burning Brakes

Received 692 Likes on 384 Posts

I really wish I would have walked into more cars with a “keeper” mentality. I was able to own a lot of great cars that are now starting to demand prices that I personally can’t justify.

Granted I wouldn’t have had all the following cars had I not been constantly rolling over. But maybe with a “keeper” mentality I could have retained one or two:
3 x Integra Type R - all clean titles, matching numbers - all sold between $10-12k
3 x 6MT E46 M3 Coupes - all stock, great cars and have been shooting up for a while
1 x E92 ZCP M3 - probably my favorite - sold at the bottom - these haven’t shot up yet but are definitely starting to
1 x 2000 NSX 6MT - I think I sold this for $50k w/ 50k miles. Not getting anything close to that these days

It would have been nice to have at least one of those ITR’s or E46’s kicking around but that’s my fault.

Learning my lessons, I’m trying to treat my 991.1 as a keeper. Understanding that it’s a bastard child GT3, in 10 years it’s not going to matter. The automotive landscape is going to be hybrid/electric junk. I know I’d kick myself for selling a quirky 9k NA beast.
Old 03-15-2020, 12:31 PM
speed_kills
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Interesting topic... in my case, I didn’t own my first Porsche, a used 997.1 Turbo, until I was 40. Before that, I was focused on building my business, taking care of my young family, saving for a home, etc., so to own a Porsche was just a dream (which until today I sometimes pinch myself).

Since my first 997, in the past 3 years, I’ve bought/sold over 12 sports cars of various Euro and Japanese makes as I wanted to try different brands, configuration, etc... it was a fun sort of “age of discovery” and I’d have 3-4 sports cars at any given time. Most of the cars stayed with me for less than a year and since I got almost all used, depreciation expense when selling or trading up was relatively manageable.

I’ve pretty much settled down since and my realisation was that I always kept going back to Porsche. For me, its really the ultimate driver’s car. I’m no collector but the only sports car that stayed with me for over 2 years is a 991.2 GT3 which I’m still enjoying it very much.

Last edited by speed_kills; 03-16-2020 at 08:33 AM.
Old 03-15-2020, 12:48 PM
AllAboutThatP
Burning Brakes

Received 556 Likes on 277 Posts

I’m definitely not the collector type. I love to drive and I buy my cars to drive them. I’ll sell if something else comes along that I like better and I stop driving the car I have. I don’t really care too much about resale value. Life is too short and it takes away from the enjoyment.

Quick Reply: What is your philosophy on buying and keeping cars?