Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is your philosophy on buying and keeping cars?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2018, 12:57 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 3,796 Likes on 2,195 Posts

Originally Posted by pitt911
AMG depreciation varies with the models. The E63 depreciate similar to M5 and for that matter a panamera turbo
The C63 depreciate but slightly more than M3
on the other hand AMG black series are close to Porsche GT cars and actually appreciate in value , but also varies somewhat with model
If concerned with depreciation, why not buy lightly used and get a bargain? My '11 C63 has been rock solid, and is a hoot to drive on the road, so depreciation doesn't matter to me since I plan to keep it forever. That 6.2L NA V8 will never be seen in these cars again. The car is as much fun on the road as the Porsches, and doesn't suffer from the performance level being "too high" for the road; it's fast enough, but also scary enough.
Old 02-12-2018, 04:49 PM
Serge944
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold
A guy I was chatting with in the audio shop recommended these: https://www.kefdirect.com/ls50w-powe...c-system.html. Reviews on the sound quality are glowing, so I'm seriously considering them.
I think this is the best sound for 2k on the market. Same UNIQ driver as the Blade, and the built in DSP gets a lot more low end extension than the passive LS50.

Hard to beat in a small/medium size room.
Old 02-12-2018, 06:36 PM
Psup4s
Burning Brakes

Received 122 Likes on 66 Posts

A guy I was chatting with in the audio shop recommended these: https://www.kefdirect.com/ls50w-powe...c-system.html. Reviews on the sound quality are glowing, so I'm seriously considering them.
I have been eying this pair of speakers to put together a third system in my house...... this might be worth a try https://www.stereophile.com/content/...te-loudspeaker
Old 02-12-2018, 10:05 PM
Chicago Mike
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Psup4s
I have a W212 E63 AMG S state and can tell you AMG does not hold value very well. It is a great car none the less. I can't think of another car to replace it with other than a W213 2018 model.
+1 I had a 2017 Pan. Turbo for the past year as my daily, but it didn’t feel as fun as my E63. Just let the Pan. go for a Bentley convertible and I couldn’t be happier. The E63 may be low on tech, but the sound and speed is something else.
Old 02-12-2018, 10:19 PM
oslermarine
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

It took me a while to understand what I truly wanted. What I thought I wanted when I was in my 20s turned out to be much different now I'm in my 30s, married with a family. My first few cars lasted only 6-12 months each before selling for various reasons below.

F80 M3 (not refined enough, too much rear power for level of grip, made a mistake not getting manual, and wasn't a fan of the exhaust note)
GT4 (loved the car but didn't love it as a daily driver on Philly roads)
Focus RS (fun car, great daily, holds groceries, but my wife refused to ride in it so it had to go)
997 C2S (great daily but realized I loved wide hips so got a 997 C4S which I will now keep for years).

Now keeping for years
Macan GTS (needed for back seats and groceries)
997 C4S (best daily car by far)
incoming GT3 Touring (weekend driver with wife)
Old 02-12-2018, 11:27 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Psup4s
I have been eying this pair of speakers to put together a third system in my house...... this might be worth a try https://www.stereophile.com/content/...te-loudspeaker
I think there's something to be said for having multiple sound systems. I think of each as being like a musical instrument that presents music in its own way. I've started with headphones, and already have 5-6 of them. I like switching between them, and each has its niche. (But I find that the differences between the best headphones in the $300-500 range vs the best in the $1000+ range to be pretty small.)

Tying it back to cars, I'm also a fan of having multiple cars at the same time, and rotating between them. Variety is nice, and the contrast between cars makes each one more enjoyable.
Old 02-13-2018, 12:12 AM
Karl911
Burning Brakes

Received 423 Likes on 181 Posts

I basically buy German cars and keep them through there 6 year model cycle. To not get bored with them I modify and tune the cars through out the six year cycle. This keeps the cars exciting and also evolving. When the next generation is out, the last generation is just old. I MOVE ON1
Old 02-13-2018, 10:42 PM
Jrtaylor9
Rennlist Member

Received 1,094 Likes on 541 Posts

Interestingly, questions of whether Y sounds better than X can be resolved by back to back comparison using blind testing, controlling to use the same music at the same data quality at the same volume. But many people are resistant to performing such blind testing, or if they do the testing and are unable to hear a difference, they refuse to believe the results. I suspect that this resistance often stems from wanting to believe that, by spending money to get something new, there's a path to getting closer to some sort of nirvana.

I personally am skeptical that things like cables make a significant difference, and even with things like DACs and amps, I suspect that the differences are very small, provided that all products being compared are of decent quality. For example, just yesterday I was in my local audio shop, and a guy next to me was contemplating buying a fancy $4500 Macintosh headphone DAC/amp because he thought it sound noticeably better than less expensive units - he was confused about how allocate his budget towards headphones vs DAC/amps. I suggested that he compare the Macintosh with my little $500 Chord Mojo. We both did back to back unblinded comparisons using a $4000 headphone, and I expected that the Macintosh might sound a least "a bit" better, but neither of us noticed a significant difference (if anything, the Chord might been a bit clearer).

With cars, I've found back to back comparisons to be very revealing. For that reason, I consider comments on the differences between say the .1 and .2 GT3 to be more credible if they're based on such back to back comparison, rather than memory.

Extensive research shows that our perceptions and memories are remarkably fallible. Buyer beware!
I really wish that was the case. I really do. I wish my ear could think there was no difference between different cables, etc.
Old 02-13-2018, 10:43 PM
Jrtaylor9
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mooty
^ #1 and #2 listening i SUFFERED a long time
i ran spectral audio through WATT or AE1. literally 99.9% of the recording will cause your ears bleed and eye ***** pop out.... and i would spend 30 min adj tube traps and position speakers so i can listen for 2 min, ONLY TO realized that something else is wrong... HAHAHA.

i am glad i got that out of my system.
My God, we are all the same afflicted animal, whether it be hifi or cars.
Old 02-13-2018, 10:54 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jrtaylor9
I really wish that was the case. I really do. I wish my ear could think there was no difference between different cables, etc.
Do the blind testing, back to back, with everything held constant except the cables.
Old 02-13-2018, 11:06 PM
Jrtaylor9
Rennlist Member

Do the blind testing, back to back, with everything held constant except the cables.
Believe me i drove my wife crazy years ago with blind tests. Unfortunately I can hear the cables along with different feet! But today i listen to more music on Spotify/iPhone/beats headphones on way to/from work than i ever had before with the multiple crazy systems and custom listening rooms at home.

For what it's worth my cables of choice weren't crazy expensive and fairly low-profile:

BEL. along with his hand made ss amps, his cheap *** rubber stopper feet and power cords. And a set of AA Vivaldis that he modified. He has passed away since but someone is still making his cables. I took delivery of one of his last set of amps before he passed. I waited for 2-3yrs for them to be finished. God bless him; the man had an ear and insane passion for no BS sound reproduction. I would buy anything the guy produced or modified sight-unseen.
Old 02-13-2018, 11:12 PM
Psup4s
Burning Brakes

Glad to hear, lol, I'm not the only crazy around here. I can hear everything!! drives me crazy sometimes. Cables sound different after a few days of using them just like solid state amps sound differently when cold.
Old 02-13-2018, 11:15 PM
Psup4s
Burning Brakes

I think there's something to be said for having multiple sound systems. I think of each as being like a musical instrument that presents music in its own way. I've started with headphones, and already have 5-6 of them. I like switching between them, and each has its niche. (But I find that the differences between the best headphones in the $300-500 range vs the best in the $1000+ range to be pretty small.)

Tying it back to cars, I'm also a fan of having multiple cars at the same time, and rotating between them. Variety is nice, and the contrast between cars makes each one more enjoyable.
I agree with you as they all do sound different. It is a crazy hobby. As far as headphones I have a pair of Grados Labs 325 which I think sound pretty decent. Mcintosh has headphones too.
Old 02-13-2018, 11:18 PM
Jrtaylor9
Rennlist Member

I've gone through the same cycle with cars as I did audio:

First full blown obsession. Now I just listen/drive for the experience and obsess less over the cars/equipment.
Old 02-14-2018, 09:30 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Keep in mind that our ears/minds actively shape what we perceive to hear, we don't just passively 'hear'. Regarding blind testing, see this: https://numeralnine.wordpress.com/20...cal-consumer/. Proper blind testing requires controlled conditions and statistical analysis of the results, otherwise we can draw the wrong conclusions merely because we guessed correctly.

Quick Reply: What is your philosophy on buying and keeping cars?