Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is your philosophy on buying and keeping cars?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2018, 08:49 PM
Semitone
Pro

Received 121 Likes on 65 Posts

I try to buy cars I really like and keep them forever. But it is getting tougher and tougher. First I had to install lifts to increase storage. Now I am building an additional garage. This isn't going to end well.
Old 02-11-2018, 08:58 PM
Serge944
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
i dont know the curretn luxman but the OLD luxman from japan were the real macoy
oh you are into class A amps....
great another nut case.
when i live in boston, i ran 4 ML2, or 2 Threashold SA1.. in the middle of winter, i dont need heater and have all windows open and i am sweating ... and of course, we never turn any solid state amps off...

also dabbled in old tubues: Marantz 8/9/10. no this is not the marantz of today, these in good condition can trade for a half of a GT3RS.
Still made in JP.
Old 02-11-2018, 09:10 PM
Psup4s
Burning Brakes

Received 122 Likes on 66 Posts

Those Monster cables? LOL
Old 02-11-2018, 09:13 PM
Serge944
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Psup4s
Those Monster cables? LOL
Good one. Luxman cables throughout (the spades are so beefy I had to mod the terminals on the KEF Blades). I don't sweat too much about cables, as long as they are of high quality construction.
Old 02-11-2018, 09:25 PM
Psup4s
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Serge944
Good one. Luxman cables throughout (the spades are so beefy I had to mod the terminals on the KEF Blades). I don't sweat too much about cables, as long as they are of high quality construction.
Just yanking your chain lol. I actually auditioned KEF blades when they first came out think they were paired to to MC mono blocks. Sounded great to say the least.

I'll just shut up now about stereos.
Old 02-11-2018, 09:37 PM
nuvolari612
Drifting

Received 127 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by BrntRubber

The two statements above describe me very well. Mid thirties married guy that has a love for cars and no need to chase tail anymore.

Having built a good relationship with my Porsche Dealer over many years has changed my approach to cars.

My garage is now empty and with the GT2 RS (arriving in a couple weeks), GT3T (arriving late April), .2 3RS and the Speedster all dropping this year, I need to make some big decisions and look further than my previous ownership pattern. Because I don’t have deep pockets, I will only keep one, max two, of the above cars long term due to the pursuit of my forever car.

After much research, help here on Rennlist and internal searching my forever car is the CGT.

I know I am very lucky to have access to the Porsche lineup and I am grateful for that. Many great cars, the alleged “end of NA” and my limited finances make this thought process very difficult and also fun.

In summary my cars have historically been held for 2 years max. The current situation looks like quite a bit of driving and selling in the short term followed by long term holds.

I welcome anyone’s thoughts on which of the 991s they would break there ownership pattern for and hold (1, max 2) or if they would let them all go for a CGT right now.

If the CGT was suitable as a daily this decision would be easier.

Also I am not a flipper wanting to walk away with money in my pocket, all cars will be sold back through my Porsche Dealer and any realsied funds will be put towards a CGT sourced through the same Dealer. I believe I have eaten enough depreciation and been loyal to my dealer for this privelage lol.
Owning a CGT - it can easily be a daily. The prices are the only thing holding that back. Having the 991RS it's my wife's favorite car due to 18w seats ergonomics etc. Daily an FF but have taken to CGT to work etc most people have no idea or care they see an older Silver Porsche. There are a lot of guys who buy a CGT and tire fast from the car because that's what they do no fault of the CGT.

I can't remember in decades test driving a car - the CGT is by far the most connected feeling of any car and that gets better with age.

Buying cars is IMO second to driving them - selling them is the devil IMO of ownership too many people in over their heads or they just enjoy driving sellers nuts. I understand the selling back to the dealer it's much nicer to build a bridge than blow it up.

More important if we want to talk home stereos theaters
Old 02-11-2018, 10:09 PM
Serge944
Rennlist Member

Seven monoblocks. You win.

Funny thing about CGT. It was my "favorite car I've never driven" since it was introduced. After being in one last year, I realize that I don't have adequate shoulder/elbow room due to the way the door is constructed. Not that I can afford one anyways, but it's still funny how you can lust over a car for years, and realize it just doesn't work for you in 30 seconds.
Old 02-11-2018, 10:43 PM
Psup4s
Burning Brakes

Nuvolari you def win brotha
Name:  ijRVjlA.jpg
Views: 19
Size:  92.0 KB

Last edited by Psup4s; 02-12-2018 at 12:23 AM.
Old 02-11-2018, 11:49 PM
nuvolari612
Drifting

Received 127 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Serge944
Seven monoblocks. You win.

Funny thing about CGT. It was my "favorite car I've never driven" since it was introduced. After being in one last year, I realize that I don't have adequate shoulder/elbow room due to the way the door is constructed. Not that I can afford one anyways, but it's still funny how you can lust over a car for years, and realize it just doesn't work for you in 30 seconds.
Thanks guys love my mono's

Know the feeling - always wanted a Ford GT whacked my head going in and out Then sat in the new Ford GT one better like the passenger because it gets awkward.
Old 02-12-2018, 12:16 AM
richardbf
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by 911therapy
My biggest depreciation hits have been anything manufactured by Mercedes.....from the AMG sedans to the G63 wagon. Dont know why I made the same mistake repeatedly - definition of insanity I suppose. loved them when I bought them, hated them shortly after buying, and hated even more the day I sold em....I clearly learned how to spend the money Mooty
care to elaborate? I am currently considering letting my Macan GTS go for an E63 estate. Never owned an AMG but had a handful of M cars. I want a wagon that goes like hell but I am curious why you hate the car (or are we just talking depreciation) Also on topic, I typically keep cars for 3-4 years. Though I had my E36 M3 for nearly 8 years.
Old 02-12-2018, 12:23 AM
Psup4s
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by richardbf
care to elaborate? I am currently considering letting my Macan GTS go for an E63 estate. Never owned an AMG but had a handful of M cars. I want a wagon that goes like hell but I am curious why you hate the car (or are we just talking depreciation) Also on topic, I typically keep cars for 3-4 years. Though I had my E36 M3 for nearly 8 years.
I have a W212 E63 AMG S state and can tell you AMG does not hold value very well. It is a great car none the less. I can't think of another car to replace it with other than a W213 2018 model.
Old 02-12-2018, 12:30 AM
911therapy
Rennlist Member

Received 84 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by richardbf
Yeah, mainly just talking about depreciation. The AMG sedans are fantastic cars - I just learned (the hard way = depreciation) that I prefer to be in a 911 if I am going to be in a car. If I am not going to be in a car, I'd rather be in an SUV or truck. So, an AMG sedan sort of fell in no-man's land for me. Loved the engine in all the AMG products I've tried. If you already know you want and will like a wagon and if you plan to keep it for 3-4 years, you should be fine.
Old 02-12-2018, 03:31 AM
gago1101
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Love this audio sidetrack, which is an even more subjective topic. One thing I have learned over many years is that less can sometimes be more. After many high-powered monoblocks and such, I have converted to active speakers. Now if you guys have not tried this, you should, although I would understand if you do not want to dismantle your 20-100K speakers.
Old 02-12-2018, 11:07 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 3,750 Likes on 2,174 Posts

Originally Posted by gago1101
Love this audio sidetrack, which is an even more subjective topic. One thing I have learned over many years is that less can sometimes be more. After many high-powered monoblocks and such, I have converted to active speakers. Now if you guys have not tried this, you should, although I would understand if you do not want to dismantle your 20-100K speakers.
A guy I was chatting with in the audio shop recommended these: https://www.kefdirect.com/ls50w-powe...c-system.html. Reviews on the sound quality are glowing, so I'm seriously considering them.
Old 02-12-2018, 12:17 PM
pitt911
Rennlist Member

Received 919 Likes on 530 Posts

AMG depreciation varies with the models. The E63 depreciate similar to M5 and for that matter a panamera turbo
The C63 depreciate but slightly more than M3
on the other hand AMG black series are close to Porsche GT cars and actually appreciate in value , but also varies somewhat with model

Quick Reply: What is your philosophy on buying and keeping cars?