What is your philosophy on buying and keeping cars? - Page 4 - Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Go Back  Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums > Water Cooled Technical Discussion Areas > 991 GT3 GT3RS and 911R
Reload this Page > What is your philosophy on buying and keeping cars?
Notices
991 GT3 GT3RS and 911R
Sponsored by:

What is your philosophy on buying and keeping cars?

Reply

Old 02-08-2018, 01:22 PM
  #46
997rs4.0
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
997rs4.0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 4,264
Default

Originally Posted by evilfij View Post
I hoard. I need more garages at this point.
I have the same problem, buying and never seem to sell. They all have their special tricks.
997rs4.0 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 01:23 PM
  #47
soulsea
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
soulsea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Mt Pleasant SC
Posts: 440
Default

Originally Posted by Carrera2RS View Post
An interesting perspective, but one that misses I fear one of the real qualities derived from long term ownership, the relationship. My watches are the same all over 10 years of ownership and I think (at least believe) I appreciated them more because of it. Seems you're getting the buzz and excitement of new things but never getting the chance to really 'bond' ?
Like Rob said it's just different sensibilities from people who are wired differently.

I cannot fathom or comprehend the idea of bonding or having a relationship with an inanimate physical object, unless it's a heirloom like a father's watch or car that was significant to them and memories are built into it ... but even then the actual bond is between the people, the object is just a representation of that bond and the 'relationship' isn't with the object itself.

Perhaps as you say I am missing out on what you call the qualities derived from long term ownership, but that's because those are not qualities to me because repetition is not a quality to me.

I do appreciate though that others are built differently, that's why I started by saying that I am an outlier in terms of the way I approach ownership. For example, it was about a year ago that I made a once in a lifetime barn find of a numbers matching 1965 911. I thought long and hard about whether to keep it and restore it or sell it, knowing how rare they are and that I'll never find another one. In the end I decided to sell because one, I know that since I am not a brand fanatic and I wasn't going to enjoy the restoration process, and second that other than driving the finished product a few times, I have no desire or great appreciation for slow classic cars. So I decided to sell it ... and it indeed went to someone in Germany who will deeply enjoy restoring the car over the next few years, will get huge satisfaction out off resurrecting the car back to life, will love driving it because of how much time/money/energy he devoted to it, and will likely keep it as a generational family heirloom. All of these things are positive and wonderful, they're just not my thing. I am 50, knock on wood I hopefully have about 20 more years in me where I can truly make the most of the vehicles I own, and have the maximum varied experiences within my budgetary constraint.

It's all good stuff, after all we're talking about how we approach things that bring us joy, that's the best kind of disagreements to have.
soulsea is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 01:33 PM
  #48
Catorce
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

 
Catorce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Orange County
Posts: 969
Default

I buy and keep forever, just look at my sig. Those are all cars I bought, drove, and then never sold. I hate selling. I am scarred due to selling off some really nice stuff in the early 2000s that I wish I had back. Won't repeat that mistake.
__________________
Current cars:
63 356 T6B - Awaiting Restoration
70 914-6 - 2.7L screamer
73 911T Carrera RS Clone, 3.6 power
75 911 Targa - RSR width 930 motor
78 928 - DEVORE CAR, 6.54L
83 911 Euro SC - 3.2 Short Stroke!
02 911 Targa
04 911 40th Anniv
07 997 Twin Turbo 6MT - Techart beauty
08 SL55 AMG
09 997 Twin Turbo 6MT - Factory Aerokit
11 Camaro SS - 6MT Z28 Spec, V7Ysi 850whp
The only reproduction flat six engine cases on the planet -3.6, 2.0, 2.2, 2.7, GT3/TT
www.taorminaracingdesigns.com
Catorce is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 01:49 PM
  #49
Psup4s
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Psup4s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Boston burbs
Posts: 594
Default

Originally Posted by soulsea View Post
Like Rob said it's just different sensibilities from people who are wired differently.

I cannot fathom or comprehend the idea of bonding or having a relationship with an inanimate physical object, unless it's a heirloom like a father's watch or car that was significant to them and memories are built into it ... but even then the actual bond is between the people, the object is just a representation of that bond and the 'relationship' isn't with the object itself.

Perhaps as you say I am missing out on what you call the qualities derived from long term ownership, but that's because those are not qualities to me because repetition is not a quality to me.

I do appreciate though that others are built differently, that's why I started by saying that I am an outlier in terms of the way I approach ownership. For example, it was about a year ago that I made a once in a lifetime barn find of a numbers matching 1965 911. I thought long and hard about whether to keep it and restore it or sell it, knowing how rare they are and that I'll never find another one. In the end I decided to sell because one, I know that since I am not a brand fanatic and I wasn't going to enjoy the restoration process, and second that other than driving the finished product a few times, I have no desire or great appreciation for slow classic cars. So I decided to sell it ... and it indeed went to someone in Germany who will deeply enjoy restoring the car over the next few years, will get huge satisfaction out off resurrecting the car back to life, will love driving it because of how much time/money/energy he devoted to it, and will likely keep it as a generational family heirloom. All of these things are positive and wonderful, they're just not my thing. I am 50, knock on wood I hopefully have about 20 more years in me where I can truly make the most of the vehicles I own, and have the maximum varied experiences within my budgetary constraint.

It's all good stuff, after all we're talking about how we approach things that bring us joy, that's the best kind of disagreements to have.
+1 cars are like women, the more you can have and dispose the better
Psup4s is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 01:52 PM
  #50
robmypro
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist
Member
Thread Starter
 
robmypro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Colorado
Posts: 3,921
Default

Originally Posted by Catorce View Post
I buy and keep forever, just look at my sig. Those are all cars I bought, drove, and then never sold. I hate selling. I am scarred due to selling off some really nice stuff in the early 2000s that I wish I had back. Won't repeat that mistake.
I wonder how many guys here will regret selling their 991 GT3's 10 or 15 years from now?
robmypro is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 01:53 PM
  #51
robmypro
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist
Member
Thread Starter
 
robmypro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Colorado
Posts: 3,921
Default

Originally Posted by Psup4s View Post
+1 cars are like women, the more you can have and dispose the better
It was only a matter of time before this thread went in that direction!
robmypro is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 01:57 PM
  #52
Psup4s
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Psup4s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Boston burbs
Posts: 594
Default

Originally Posted by robmypro View Post
It was only a matter of time before this thread went in that direction!
LOL had to wait 3 pages to post it just to give someone else the chance
Psup4s is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 11:42 PM
  #53
Manifold
Super User
 
Manifold's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Close enough to plenty of good tracks
Posts: 3,512
Default

I'm not impulsive about major purchases, and I research and deliberate for quite a while before buying cars. The result is that I tend to buy cars I like long-term, so I keep them long-term. Some cars were sold after a shorter time span because needs changed and space was limited, so they had to go, but I still miss them.

Now that we have a lot more garage space, I'm more in a mode to add rather than replace cars, but no hurry on that, since there are a lot more cars I like than I have space for, so I still need to choose carefully.

If I ever stopped going to the track, maybe I'd sell the GT3, but even then I might keep it, since the car feels special even when underutilized on the road.
Manifold is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 12:33 AM
  #54
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist
Member
 
mooty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: san francisco
Posts: 35,786
Default

Originally Posted by robmypro View Post
It was only a matter of time before this thread went in that direction!
LOL, see below

Originally Posted by soulsea View Post
Like Rob said it's just different sensibilities from people who are wired differently.

I cannot fathom or comprehend the idea of bonding or having a relationship with an inanimate physical object, unless it's a heirloom like a father's watch or car that was significant to them and memories are built into it ... but even then the actual bond is between the people, the object is just a representation of that bond and the 'relationship' isn't with the object itself.

It's all good stuff, after all we're talking about how we approach things that bring us joy, that's the best kind of disagreements to have.
i have a car, a bmw pos, that i wont sell. i dont drive it either.
it has a big dimple or butt mark on the hood.....
let's just say i was in college and i can't wait until we got home.... so....
mooty is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 12:48 AM
  #55
911therapy
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 79
Default

Originally Posted by handful View Post
No you misunderstood, I agree and I'm laughing because of his analogy.
Ha I knew you were picking up what he was putting down. I was just adding my playful (attempt) to it. As in, you laugh, I laugh, we all laugh because its the truth!
911therapy is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 12:53 AM
  #56
911therapy
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 79
Default

Originally Posted by robmypro View Post


It really just depends on where the gratification comes from. Some get the most enjoyment from the thrill of the chase, and the newness, while others get the most out of the long-term relationship. Definitely no wrong answers to this. Just how we are all wired. Of course i get the most from the relationship, just like you, but i can totally see the other side, too. I guess i am saying that people like soulsea donít feel they are missing anything by not having long-term relationships with their cars, and they are probably right. For them it would provide very little satisfaction.

A good friend of mine offered to let me drive his 458 when we first met. I had never driven a Ferrari before, and still havenít. My reasoning was that I felt uncomfortable driving a car that i wasnít prepared to write a check for, if something bad happened. And while that is true, i also had another reason. I was afraid that driving a 458 would somehow cause me to appreciate my GT3 less. And that might eventually lead me to want something else, and that is a slippery slope to churning and burning cars. I found the sweet spot of satisfaction with my GT3 and i just didnít want to screw that up. Ignorance is truly bliss. And I think thereís a fine line between where i am today, and where soulsea is at. A very fine line.
Exactly right Rob, I do not feel any loss whatsoever by not having a "bond" with a vehicle. I do not name them - wife does. I intentionally don't name them, because they wont be here to waste the name. The thrill of the hunt and excitement of the next great thing is what gives me the equivalent "bonding" feeling that others feel. But, like you, I can see the other side. It would be nice on the pocket book to be on the other side. That is, unless you hoard them and then it would actually cost more!
911therapy is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 12:56 AM
  #57
911therapy
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 79
Default

Originally Posted by robmypro View Post
I wonder how many guys here will regret selling their 991 GT3's 10 or 15 years from now?
My 991 GT3 has my attention more than any other car I've had thus far. But, I wouldnt hesitate to jump to an RS if the opportunity arose....see there, just my nature. Can't shake it
911therapy is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 12:58 AM
  #58
911therapy
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 79
Default

Originally Posted by mooty View Post
LOL, see below



i have a car, a bmw pos, that i wont sell. i dont drive it either.
it has a big dimple or butt mark on the hood.....
let's just say i was in college and i can't wait until we got home.... so....
Hahahah - Wildman mooty.....Your wife ever ask about that dimple on the hood?
911therapy is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 01:09 AM
  #59
GeoJoe
User
 
GeoJoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 412
Default

I like the chase. Wanted an early 240z since the 80s, finally found one...fixed it up and now I'm torn on if I should sell it to make more room.

Tried to buy a GT4 as my first Porsche a few years ago. Searched all over and hardly any dealer would take my call. Then I rented a 911C4S from the Berlin Experience. Drove it to Prague for a night and filled out a survey when I returned it the next day stating I wanted to buy a GT4 from my local dealer. The next week I had an allocation. After 18 months its got 24 track days on it and loving every minute. Most amazing car I've ever had.

Now I have GT3 allocation...and wondering how the hell I'm going to keep all these toys. #needmoregarage #mywifelovesstickshiftsbudlightandcollegefootball
GeoJoe is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 02:14 AM
  #60
Ervin Wu
User
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Toronto, ON
Posts: 101
Default

Originally Posted by 911therapy View Post
My biggest depreciation hits have been anything manufactured by Mercedes.....from the AMG sedans to the G63 wagon. Dont know why I made the same mistake repeatedly - definition of insanity I suppose. loved them when I bought them, hated them shortly after buying, and hated even more the day I sold em....I clearly learned how to spend the money Mooty
I thought G Wagons held value well?
Ervin Wu is offline  
Reply With Quote
 

Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
mathfuzzy
991
32
11-16-2017 04:09 PM
docmirror
996 Forum
73
11-11-2016 04:52 PM
Needsdecaf
991
31
10-27-2016 11:24 AM
neanicu
991 GT3 GT3RS and 911R
33
09-15-2016 08:04 PM

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -3. The time now is 01:57 AM.


Copyright © 1998 - 2017 Rennlist.com We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: