Sponsored by:

Gear shifter flexing under torque in 4th gear, on 991.2 GT3

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2019, 09:17 AM
Taffy66
Burning Brakes

Received 376 Likes on 191 Posts

Originally Posted by whojoemama
In my 991.2 GT3 at 6,000 RPM in 5th gear I get an erection every time.
6K in 5th gear translates roughly to 130MPH..What good is a hard on at that speed..?
Old 02-13-2019, 11:37 AM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,383 Likes on 719 Posts

Originally Posted by Taffy66
6K in 5th gear translates roughly to 130MPH..What good is a hard on at that speed..?
Funny
Old 02-13-2019, 11:56 AM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,708 Likes on 2,685 Posts

Originally Posted by whojoemama
In my 991.2 GT3 at 6,000 RPM in 5th gear I get an erection every time.
If you're really driving "hard", you should never be at less than 7,200 rpm in 5th (if shifting at redline in 4th) - see chart:

Old 02-13-2019, 08:52 PM
sting168
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Deleted
Old 02-21-2019, 12:06 AM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

Originally Posted by GrantG
If you're really driving "hard", you should never be at less than 7,200 rpm in 5th (if shifting at redline in 4th) - see chart:

I think you're missing a key part of the diagram where it peaks at 140mph.. but always below 9000rpm or else it might throw a rod.

Name:  photo18.jpg
Views: 999
Size:  376.8 KB
Old 02-21-2019, 07:51 AM
ammein ramley
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 991.2 GT3 manual transmission failure

Hi guys, I've been reading your thread and I personally think all GT3 owners facing this issue SHOULD be concerned.

I had the same issue and now my synchro ring has failed on the 4th gear.

What's more is my friends car had the exact same issue a few months back. His synchro ring failed, also on the 4th gear.

The problem I'm facing now with my dealer in the United Arab Emirates is that they've gotten a reply back from PAG stating to replace the transmission BUT it will not be covered under warranty.
PAG have requested for the transmission to be sent to them and for them to inspect it . This process will take 8-12 weeks . During this time PAG want to confirm if the transmission has been "miss used"
during this time I have to give $20,000 to my dealer to have this issue sorted out as it is "not under warranty" as of now.
The dealer has checked the transmission & could not find anything wrong with it. They are suspecting the synchro ring to have failed.
The problem is that Porsche don't sell this part separately (the synchro ring) they only sell the whole transmission as a whole piece .

Long story short my synchro ring has failed, my dealer won't replace it under warranty because they have not gotten the approval from PAG to do so .

I find it frustrating that the warranty is not respected and that I'm being forced to pay $20,000 for an entire transmission because a synchro ring has failed, which of course I'm refusing to pay.

Our voices should be heard and this matter should be escalated.

Old 02-21-2019, 08:25 AM
abiazis
Rennlist Member

Received 699 Likes on 511 Posts

How many miles on your car? Wonder if that has an impact with this real issue.

The synchro failure possibility was raised early on. Porsche with this stuff takes their time when they know it could effect a fair amount of cars, ie IMS with the 2001-2005 996.

Agree with last post that owners should not accept the answer dealer gives them. The design to flex in 4th gear can't possibly be what was wanted on an otherwise rock solid car.
Old 02-21-2019, 08:37 AM
Taffy66
Burning Brakes

Received 376 Likes on 191 Posts

Originally Posted by ammein ramley
Hi guys, I've been reading your thread and I personally think all GT3 owners facing this issue SHOULD be concerned.

What's more is my friends car had the exact same issue a few months back. His synchro ring failed, also on the 4th gear.

The problem I'm facing now with my dealer in the United Arab Emirates is that they've gotten a reply back from PAG stating to replace the transmission BUT it will not be covered under warranty.
PAG have requested for the transmission to be sent to them and for them to inspect it . This process will take 8-12 weeks . During this time PAG want to confirm if the transmission has been "miss used"
during this time I have to give $20,000 to my dealer to have this issue sorted out as it is "not under warranty" as of now.
The dealer has checked the transmission & could not find anything wrong with it. They are suspecting the synchro ring to have failed.
The problem is that Porsche don't sell this part separately (the synchro ring) they only sell the whole transmission as a whole piece .

Long story short my synchro ring has failed, my dealer won't replace it under warranty because they have not gotten the approval from PAG to do so .

I find it frustrating that the warranty is not respected and that I'm being forced to pay $20,000 for an entire transmission because a synchro ring has failed, which of course I'm refusing to pay.

Sorry to hear you're being forced to go through this totally unnecessary saga..FWIW my OPC in the UK replaced a virtually new 991.2 Manual gearbox under warranty about a year ago,It was suffering from this 4th gear flex as the only symptom and after the OPC technician examined it, the whole gearbox was replaced without quibble FOC..I know this is a 100% fact.!
Old 02-21-2019, 09:24 AM
ammein ramley
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Taffy66
Sorry to hear you're being forced to go through this totally unnecessary saga..FWIW my OPC in the UK replaced a virtually new 991.2 Manual gearbox under warranty about a year ago,It was suffering from this 4th gear flex as the only symptom and after the OPC technician examined it, the whole gearbox was replaced without quibble FOC..I know this is a 100% fact.!
I have contacted PAG by email and phone and now have a case number with them . Do you think if you could provide any more information privately with me (about this case your talking about) I could use this to my advantage?

I really feel like I'm facing a brick wall here .

The car is new and should not be facing this issue .this should be covered under warranty, or another alternative should he provided instead of paying $20,000 / €15,000 .

Old 02-21-2019, 09:27 AM
ammein ramley
Intermediate

The mileage on the car is 11,500 kms to be exact right now . Thats approximately 7,200 miles.
I took delivery March 2018 - so it's 11 months old, however this problem occurred 6 weeks ago from this date .
Old 02-21-2019, 10:14 AM
Bobby 911
Banned

Received 355 Likes on 214 Posts

thanks for the info

Last edited by Bobby 911; 06-07-2019 at 02:32 PM.
Old 02-21-2019, 10:40 AM
FourT6and2
Drifting

Received 652 Likes on 376 Posts

What's the actual "problem" with your transmission? Will it not go into gear? Is it popping out of gear? Will it not send power to the wheels? Is it grinding? What's the actual issue you're experiencing other than a little shifter flex in 4th?

You said, "The dealer has checked the transmission and has not found anything wrong with it."
Then you say repeatedly that your synchro has failed.
So which is it?

Are you trying to get the dealer to replace transmission under warranty due to the shifter movement, or is there some other actual issue you're experiencing?
It sounds like the dealer says sorry there's nothing wrong with a little movement and you're insisting they replace it anyway.
Old 02-21-2019, 11:23 AM
ammein ramley
Intermediate

Originally Posted by FourT6and2
What's the actual "problem" with your transmission? Will it not go into gear? Is it popping out of gear? Will it not send power to the wheels? Is it grinding? What's the actual issue you're experiencing other than a little shifter flex in 4th?

You said, "The dealer has checked the transmission and has not found anything wrong with it."
Then you say repeatedly that your synchro has failed.
So which is it?

Are you trying to get the dealer to replace transmission under warranty due to the shifter movement, or is there some other actual issue you're experiencing?
It sounds like the dealer says sorry there's nothing wrong with a little movement and you're insisting they replace it anyway.
At first the gear would move just as described in this thread, only on 4th gear .

6 weeks ago, I went out for a drive and as I engaged 4th it made a sound and the feeling was as though you have not enganged the clutch .
I took it to the dealership immediately the next day .
PAG has not given permission to any Porsche dealership to dismantle the transmission.
With that said the dealership done all their checks apart from dismantling the transmission and could not find a fault code. That is what I mean by "they saying nothing is wrong with the transmission"
They did confirm however from driving the car that this is the synchro ring, and from my knowledge this is 99% the case.
To summarize all the gears work fine, other than the 4th gear. Once I engage the 4th gear it makes a sound and makes a feeling as if you have not engaged the clutch while shifting to 4th.

Old 02-21-2019, 11:31 AM
FourT6and2
Drifting

Received 652 Likes on 376 Posts

At first the gear would move just as described in this thread, only on 4th gear .

6 weeks ago, I went out for a drive and as I engaged 4th it made a sound and the feeling was as though you have not enganged the clutch .
I took it to the dealership immediately the next day .
PAG has not given permission to any Porsche dealership to dismantle the transmission.
With that said the dealership done all their checks apart from dismantling the transmission and could not find a fault code. That is what I mean by "they saying nothing is wrong with the transmission"
They did confirm however from driving the car that this is the synchro ring, and from my knowledge this is 99% the case.
To summarize all the gears work fine, other than the 4th gear. Once I engage the 4th gear it makes a sound and makes a feeling as if you have not engaged the clutch while shifting to 4th.
Ok thanks for the clarification.
Old 02-21-2019, 01:38 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,423 Likes on 2,237 Posts

Originally Posted by GrantG
I think this is pretty normal to have some movement of the drivetrain with on/off throttle application, resulting in shifter position movement...
+1 its the short shifter transmitting vibrations from the flywheel as it (de)accelerates...

Quick Reply: Gear shifter flexing under torque in 4th gear, on 991.2 GT3