991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gear shifter flexing under torque in 4th gear, on 991.2 GT3

Old 06-08-2018, 12:00 AM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,379 Likes on 718 Posts

Although different issue- the GT4 had a similar thread regarding faulty gearboxes because of failures to engage in certain gears which is a heck of a lot worse.

Never found out the outcome but I know some have has their gear boxes changed out and Porsche took care of it under warranty.

So looks like all the latest Manuals having a scare for some
Old 06-08-2018, 12:01 AM
mqandil
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D
^ I have yet to drive a "perfect" car or find the "perfect" women. Neither exists
Jimmy ... I go along with the car, but I can’t believe nor accept you have not found the perfect woman yet.
Old 06-08-2018, 12:02 AM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Originally Posted by mqandil

Jimmy ... I go along with the car, but I can’t believe nor accept you have not found the perfect woman yet.
Happily married but they all crazy
Old 06-08-2018, 12:03 AM
mqandil
Rennlist Member

Although different issue- the GT4 had a similar thread regarding faulty gearboxes because of failures to engage in certain gears which is a heck of a lot worse.

Never found out the outcome but I know some have has their gear boxes changed out and Porsche took care of it under warranty.

So looks like all the latest Manuals having a scare for some
yeah. Followed that for a while and nothing came out of it. I have 13k hard miles on my GT4 and also 10K miles on my 2016 Spyder which I believe has the same gearbox without a single issue.
Old 06-08-2018, 12:11 AM
mqandil
Rennlist Member

Happily married but they all crazy
Same here bud. Amen to that....
for me it has been 35 yrs of hard labor and I am only 51 yrs old. Mark
Old 07-02-2018, 06:53 PM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 606 Likes on 371 Posts

FWIW, my 4th gear does exactly the same thing on my new GT3. While driving in 4th, just grab the gear shift and push forward slightly (without touching the clutch), and you'll see that it can slide around a good amount. Then put it in any other gear and do the same thing, and you'll see that all the gears have similar play. For whatever reason, in 4th gear the natural movement of the engine and transmission appears to move the stick shift lightly within this travel when transition from on / off throttle.
Old 07-03-2018, 02:55 AM
997 GT2
Track Day

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

HI Mech33,
my friend picked up his GT3 touring last week which i could drive and there is no 4th move at all!?
I am still waiting for the PAG statement since 4 week, which i was told should now arrive till the end of this week.
regards Klaus
Old 07-03-2018, 03:19 AM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by 997 GT2
HI Mech33,
my friend picked up his GT3 touring last week which i could drive and there is no 4th move at all!?
I am still waiting for the PAG statement since 4 week, which i was told should now arrive till the end of this week.
regards Klaus
Have him try grabbing the shifter while in 4th and attempt to move it towards 3rd without using the clutch. Does it have about a half inch of play in it?
Old 07-07-2018, 02:09 AM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Mech33
FWIW, my 4th gear does exactly the same thing on my new GT3. While driving in 4th, just grab the gear shift and push forward slightly (without touching the clutch), and you'll see that it can slide around a good amount. Then put it in any other gear and do the same thing, and you'll see that all the gears have similar play. For whatever reason, in 4th gear the natural movement of the engine and transmission appears to move the stick shift lightly within this travel when transition from on / off throttle.
Any others happen to give this a try? Curious if anyone’s does NOT move when you tug on it per the above.
Old 07-10-2018, 11:04 PM
BOS991.2
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

just took my touring out for a spin..... all gears have zero movement under load except fourth has a tiny tiny bit. not visible to the eye but you can feel the slightest movement with your hand. to be honest, i never would have noticed if i hadn’t read this thread. not concerned at all. last manual car i had was an 02 audi s4 a long time ago and that thing had way more movement in the shifter, sold it w/ 113k miles on the odometer and never had a problem with the transmission
Old 07-11-2018, 02:04 AM
fun2k
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mech33
its weird that you can do this in the gt3 i have not driven any other car with being able to move the shifter so much without the clutch. Does the gt4 box also have this trait?
Old 07-11-2018, 02:11 AM
FourT6and2
Drifting

Received 652 Likes on 376 Posts

Originally Posted by fun2k
its weird that you can do this in the gt3 i have not driven any other car with being able to move the shifter so much without the clutch. Does the gt4 box also have this trait?
Every manual car I've ever driven in my life has had shifter movement. It's normal.
Old 07-11-2018, 05:01 AM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 621 Likes on 433 Posts

A lot of what the shifter does depends on whether it is (1) direct mount; (2) rods; or (3) cables. (1) will move around like crazy as the transmission and engine move around. Start up a truck and watch the stick (my defenders and Tacoma move quite a bit, even worse bouncing around off road). (2) I expect some movement as in an air cooled Porsche. It’s not clear to me why a GT3 which has cables, should have so much movement. I assume the cables are adjustable and maybe it is out of adjustment? If it were mine, I check and adjust it a little and see what happens.
Old 07-11-2018, 11:04 AM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Originally Posted by BOS991.2
just took my touring out for a spin..... all gears have zero movement under load except fourth has a tiny tiny bit. not visible to the eye but you can feel the slightest movement with your hand. to be honest, i never would have noticed if i hadn’t read this thread. not concerned at all. last manual car i had was an 02 audi s4 a long time ago and that thing had way more movement in the shifter, sold it w/ 113k miles on the odometer and never had a problem with the transmission
Tiny bit of movement in 4th here, as well, but does not bother nor concern me.

The Manual feels solid and just a pleasure to drive. I gave PDK a try on the .1 but can never go back.
Old 07-11-2018, 12:48 PM
nszombie
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fun2k
Same here, barely noticeable, and only when the hand is resting on the shifter.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Gear shifter flexing under torque in 4th gear, on 991.2 GT3