Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gear shifter flexing under torque in 4th gear, on 991.2 GT3

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2018, 02:59 AM
Ray G
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I just took delivery on my .2 GT3 and I noticed this right away - only in 4th gear and it moves quite a bit. None of my other GT3/911/GT4 etc cars have ever done this. It is a little annoying. I can see the shifter moving out of the corner of my eye while driving. I think I'm going to have the dealer check it out anyway.
Old 06-01-2018, 03:16 AM
FourT6and2
Drifting

Received 652 Likes on 376 Posts

Y'all understand that when there's a load on the engine, the engine moves in its mounts right? You can literally see the engine on ANY car rock due to torque. It's normal. That force/motion acts on the transmission too. Because the transmission is literally bolted to the engine. Guess what else is attached to the transmission? The shifter.
Old 06-01-2018, 03:49 AM
Ray G
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FourT6and2
Y'all understand that when there's a load on the engine, the engine moves in its mounts right? You can literally see the engine on ANY car rock due to torque. It's normal. That force/motion acts on the transmission too. Because the transmission is literally bolted to the engine. Guess what else is attached to the transmission? The shifter.
Well, sure. As you say, some movement is definitely normal, especially on older cars. But this seems like a lot of movement (and only in 4th gear). I've had several modern Porsche over the years - GT3s, GT3RS, GT4, several 911S, CGT etc. and I've never noticed this much movement, such that I can see it moving back and forth at the slightest loading and unloading of the motor. I curious why THIS car is different.
Old 06-01-2018, 12:39 PM
abiazis
Rennlist Member

Received 705 Likes on 515 Posts

I don't have it on my 993....
Old 06-03-2018, 10:03 AM
spydersmiley
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I reactivate this older thread here. My GT3T shows exactly them same pattern: Shifter slightly moves forth and back when engaging the gas pedal. This only happens in 4th gear. In the German Porsche Forum PFF, there is a pretty heated debate now whether this is heralding a transmission failure, or whether this is just normal for a manual GT3 / R. Any more insights?

Best
Tobias
Old 06-03-2018, 10:18 AM
cebe
Racer

Received 340 Likes on 139 Posts
Default GT3 Touring owner experiencing the same

My GT3 Touring has similar behavior in 4th .. Probably a defining tract of this gearbox.

Maybe the engine mounting supports allow a bit more of movement at low rpm and with the additional torque of this mk2 engine we end up with a more noticeable gearshift movement ...
Old 06-03-2018, 11:19 AM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,388 Likes on 720 Posts

No transmission failure. It is what it is
Old 06-03-2018, 12:12 PM
nszombie
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The guy in the german forum mentions two owners that he knows himself that had transmission failures and got theirs replaced. Many more report the movement of the stick in 4th gear, others say they don't see it. Without a recall or something official from Porsche it's all guesswork.
Old 06-03-2018, 12:27 PM
Taffy66
Burning Brakes

Received 381 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by nszombie
The guy in the german forum mentions two owners that he knows himself that had transmission failures and got theirs replaced. Many more report the movement of the stick in 4th gear, others say they don't see it. Without a recall or something official from Porsche it's all guesswork.
I know for a fact that a manual GT3 exhibiting this movement, had the whole gearbox replaced under warranty..I know this is true as the afflicted GT3 was delivered by my local OPC(UK based)..I think it's a more widespread problem than we realise, and i'm not surprised its linked to gearbox failures..
I 've owned many manual Porsches and currently a 981 Spyder and they have all been tight as a drum, so i don't believe its a normal characteristic of the GT3's manual..
Old 06-03-2018, 12:35 PM
FourT6and2
Drifting

Received 652 Likes on 376 Posts

Originally Posted by nszombie
Were they replaced BECAUSE the gear lever moved a little bit in 4th gear under throttle? Or were they replaced for some other, specific reason?

Originally Posted by Taffy66
I know for a fact that a manual GT3 exhibiting this movement, had the whole gearbox replaced under warranty..I know this is true as the afflicted GT3 was delivered by my local OPC(UK based)..I think it's a more widespread problem than we realise, and i'm not surprised its linked to gearbox failures..
I 've owned many manual Porsches and currently a 981 Spyder and they have all been tight as a drum, so i don't believe its a normal characteristic of the GT3's manual..
The gearboxes were replaced under warranty BECAUSE OF THE GEAR LEVER MOVEMENT?

You say gear lever movement is a "widespread problem." Why? Why is it a problem? And how is it "linked to gearbox failures"? In what, specific way is this linked to a failure? And what is that failure?
Old 06-03-2018, 12:58 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

My 4th gear just vibrates, doesn't flex... didn't see it as an issue.
Old 06-03-2018, 02:36 PM
Petevb
Rennlist Member

Received 704 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
My 4th gear just vibrates, doesn't flex...
Same here.

One of the main advantages of a cable shifter (as newer 911s have) vs a pushrod (like older 911s, 944s, etc) is that it isolates the shifter from any engine movement. This leaves the engine free to rock and roll while the shift lever stays steady.

Unfortunately I suspect the noted 5mm of lever movement, only in 4th gear, indicates an internal issue in the gearbox. I can’t say for sure if it’s a problem (could be that’s OK) but the fact that most of us don’t get that movement makes me suspect it is- something moving on a shaft that shouldn’t be, most likely...
Old 06-04-2018, 11:40 AM
ilovecarbs
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

My 991.2 does this as well, has a lot of forward/back slop while in 4th gear. Every other gear has no movement.
Old 06-04-2018, 12:07 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,388 Likes on 720 Posts

That is what warranties are for. I am not concerned one bit and "FourT6and2" raises some good questions before we relate some gear shift movement in 4th to transmission failures.

Be interesting to see if this is the same in a 911R??
Old 06-04-2018, 01:48 PM
DuckieRS
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wondering if there are any carbon pieces in the linkage somewhere?
(I got told such a piece is the reason why my car is delayed and have not specced any 'cosmetic fiber')

Quick Reply: Gear shifter flexing under torque in 4th gear, on 991.2 GT3