Sponsored by:

Gear shifter flexing under torque in 4th gear, on 991.2 GT3

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2018, 09:23 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,310 Likes on 796 Posts

Originally Posted by Jnosol
Your shifter is connected to the tranny, tranny is attached to the motor, motor is attached to the chassis via motor mounts that allow movement under load. What's the issue?
Post #1: It doesn't happen in EVERY gear.
Old 02-07-2018, 10:10 PM
Jnosol
Pro

Received 39 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by ExMB
Post #1: It doesn't happen in EVERY gear.
Understand. In 4th the shift linkage probably Iines up and allow movement while other gears doesn't due to the angle. As long as the gear doesn't pop out then this is completely normal.

Old 02-08-2018, 06:45 PM
Mvez
Rennlist Member

Received 210 Likes on 93 Posts

Correct. Every .2 manual will do this. Totally normal for 4th gear. Mine does it to. Drive with confidence.
The following users liked this post:
tjg81296 (01-19-2020)
Old 02-08-2018, 11:56 PM
mqandil
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks to all of you for the responses. Much appreciated.

Well, service called this afternoon to indicate I can pick up my car in the morning. For the past few days we have been corresponding back & forth, while they are inspecting the car and diagnosing the issue. They were able to duplicate and document this shifter movement and indicated it happens at all throttle positions, so even at 5% throttle application the shifter moves forward, and if you lift off from gas, it moves backwards. They were really baffled and didn’t think this was normal, as other (non-GT) 991.2 manual cars, or GT4 does not do this, but both have different shifters, tranny & cables. Regardless they inspected the cables, linkages, shifter, and all seem to operate normally. So they were stumped & baffled and could not explain why. However they indicated the shifter linkage on this GT3 as someone commented earlier, is laying in perfect alignment and inline with 4th gear, and possibly causing or contributing to this issue as there is no preload or any resistance from keeping 4th gear to stay in a rigid position. In addition they also thought if the shifter itself may be slightly out of tolerance it could cause the issue.
so the plan is for sunset service to start a case with PCNA asking them for directions on this or perhaps have PCNA tell them it is normal on GT3 manual, but they thought it is better to document it, since their top mechanic did not think this is normal. They are also considering ordering a new shifter and replace the old one, I will bring the car back once they get PCNA approval.

I honestly don’t think it is anything serious as everything checked out fine but it is just an annoyance more than anything else, especially if you leave your hand on the shifter, and can feel it move back & forth in your hand and also feels different since I own 3 other manual Porsche cars(GT4, 982 Spyder, 991.2 Targa 4S) and none of them does this. At the end that might be normal for this car and that’s why I posted this to get other GT3 owners to weigh in on this. I will keep updating on this issue, just in case this is not normal. Again thanks to all the inputs. Mark
Old 02-09-2018, 12:01 AM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,708 Likes on 2,685 Posts

It’s normal...
Old 02-09-2018, 12:19 AM
TuonoR
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

My .2 does this. I've considered it a "feature". If there was no tranny NVH they wouldn't be proper GT cars.
Old 02-09-2018, 12:37 AM
mqandil
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by GrantG
It’s normal...
Originally Posted by TuonoR
My .2 does this. I've considered it a "feature". If there was no tranny NVH they wouldn't be proper GT cars.
Thanks guys for the confirmation. Mark
Old 02-09-2018, 02:03 AM
FourT6and2
Drifting

Received 652 Likes on 376 Posts

Originally Posted by mqandil
I honestly don’t think it is anything serious as everything checked out fine but it is just an annoyance more than anything else, especially if you leave your hand on the shifter, and can feel it move back & forth in your hand and also feels different since I own 3 other manual Porsche cars(GT4, 982 Spyder, 991.2 Targa 4S) and none of them does this. At the end that might be normal for this car and that’s why I posted this to get other GT3 owners to weigh in on this. I will keep updating on this issue, just in case this is not normal. Again thanks to all the inputs. Mark
Do you tend to rest your hand on the shifter while you drive?
tjg81296 (01-19-2020)
Old 02-09-2018, 05:41 AM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,382 Likes on 719 Posts

Originally Posted by FourT6and2
Do you tend to rest your hand on the shifter while you drive?
I do this most of the time. Not so much to rest but so ready to shift. If on Highway and cruiusing it would not be resting on Shifter
Old 02-09-2018, 05:43 AM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,382 Likes on 719 Posts

Thanks guys for the confirmation. Mark
Good to know. Have them test drive a new GT3 they get in to confirm since they probably do this any way but now they have some thing to look out for
Old 02-09-2018, 12:07 PM
FourT6and2
Drifting

Received 652 Likes on 376 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D
I do this most of the time. Not so much to rest but so ready to shift. If on Highway and cruiusing it would not be resting on Shifter
I'm no expert, but typically this is not something one should do. If you're imparting any sort of force into the shifter while using it as an arm rest, it can speed up synchro wear...
tjg81296 (01-19-2020)
Old 02-09-2018, 03:20 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,708 Likes on 2,685 Posts

Originally Posted by FourT6and2
I'm no expert, but typically this is not something one should do. If you're imparting any sort of force into the shifter while using it as an arm rest, it can speed up synchro wear...
+1, was always taught not to touch shifter unless shifting...
tjg81296 (01-19-2020)
Old 02-12-2018, 12:18 PM
Jnosol
Pro

Received 39 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by GrantG
+1, was always taught not to touch shifter unless shifting...
You were taught correctly. You shouldn't rest your hand on the shifter, it wears down moving parts in the tranny. But many of us were (are) guilty of doing so because it looks cool to drive with one hand on the wheel.
tjg81296 (01-19-2020)
Old 02-12-2018, 06:21 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

Originally Posted by Jnosol
You were taught correctly. You shouldn't rest your hand on the shifter, it wears down moving parts in the tranny. But many of us were (are) guilty of doing so because it looks cool to drive with one hand on the wheel.
Man.. my version of cool must be so different than yours.

When I see people do that, with their hand on the stick sometimes jiggling it back and forth as they brake in neutral from speed... they are often the types who drive leaned back, maybe with the other hand on top of the wheel or their elbow sticking out of the window. makes the hair on my neck stand on end.

Cool to me is when I see a driver sit upright, 9 and 3, bend at the elbows... then I know he actually understands how to drive.
Old 02-13-2018, 03:43 PM
kevin5889
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Hi Guys. I have been enjoying adding some miles on my 991.2 GT3 with manual transmission. Car has been amazing, but I did notice that when I shift into 4th gear and apply any amount of throttle the gear shifter moves forward about 3/16” but does not pop out of gear. I don’t have to step hard on the gas to initiate this movement. I tried 1,2,3,5 6 and the shifter is rock solid with no flexing or movement regardless how hard I accelerate, but 4th is a different story and any slightly acceleration will result in movement. Aside from this the car drives normal and great.
Not sure if this is only in my car, and would like to hear if other experienced the same thing or is this isolated to my car. Usually if the shifter moves, that is usually an indication of bad motor mount but it should happen in all gears and not just 1. I reported the issue to Sunset and I am taking it tomorrow to service so they can inspect the car. Thought I should share this and see if anyone else experienced the same thing. Mark
I drove my car yesterday, thinking about this post. My car does the same, only in 4th gear. However, it tends to be more noticeable when I am lugging the engine. Around 2500 RPM and below.

Quick Reply: Gear shifter flexing under torque in 4th gear, on 991.2 GT3