Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

houndstooth/pepita factoid

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2018, 08:08 PM
bluehorseshoe
Three Wheelin'

Received 444 Likes on 178 Posts

Beoliving! Very jealous. Spent lots of time today trying to figure out exactly what you're pictures depict.

Tell me if I'm wrong but that flat leather sample is Tarpan (which is not obtainable for GT cars), and the top leather with the Black / Dark Silver houndstooth is Expresso?

Wow, the black leather might look better with the Agate Grey / Geysir Grey houndstooth!

I spent the day stressing over the fact that I can't get natural leather Tarpan Brown. The only alternatives are Expresso and Saddle. Expresso seems too dark, and Saddle doesn't have those cool variations like the Tarpan natural. Still haven't made a decision.

Thanks for the great pictures.

Last edited by bluehorseshoe; 02-05-2018 at 08:29 PM.
Old 02-05-2018, 08:14 PM
bluehorseshoe
Three Wheelin'

0to60: What trim? I don't see any trim in that picture you copied...
Old 02-05-2018, 08:16 PM
0to60
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by bluehorseshoe
0to60: What trim? I don't see any trim in that picture you copied...
It's on page one,beoliving posted it.
Old 02-05-2018, 08:19 PM
bluehorseshoe
Three Wheelin'

Neurotic: Thanks for that clip. Silly question... If the material is made out of the same thread as the seatbelts, wouldn't it be slippery like the seatbelts? I'm sure Porsche wouldn't use it if that were the case. Perhaps the seatbelts are coated with something else?
Old 02-05-2018, 08:26 PM
bluehorseshoe
Three Wheelin'

That's the base 991.2 GT3 trim, yes anthracite or whatever they call it. Have it in my GTS. It's elegant and very understated yet offers a nice change in texture for the trim. I won't be using it in my Touring because I've tired of it, and have some obsession with carbon fiber lately.
Old 02-05-2018, 08:33 PM
neurotic
Rennlist Member

Received 545 Likes on 261 Posts

Neurotic: Thanks for that clip. Silly question... If the material is made out of the same thread as the seatbelts, wouldn't it be slippery like the seatbelts? I'm sure Porsche wouldn't use it if that were the case. Perhaps the seatbelts are coated with something else?
they use the same yarn, but I suspect they way they weave it is different.
houndstooth feels is more sturdier/thicker and less slippery than a seatbelt.
Old 02-05-2018, 08:45 PM
bluehorseshoe
Three Wheelin'

Right now my order is for Black / Dark Silver houndstooth with GT Silver stitching. As far as leather... I'm sticking with black b/c the leather I had my heart set on (Tarpan) is not available.

If I change to the Agate/Geysir houndstooth, what deviated stitching would match best? I think GT Silver is a bit darker than Pebble, so that's likely still the best but would appreciate more opinions. From the picture above, just seems like the grey houndstooth is softer and easier on the eyes.
Old 02-05-2018, 08:58 PM
Lapis
Burning Brakes

Received 72 Likes on 39 Posts

Has anyone who has been to Stuttgart yet seen the new houndstooth that is chalk/graphite blue?

Yana told me about it last September but still doesn’t have a sample in Atlanta and says it’s still “in testing” so not yet available to order.

If if anyone has seen it please post pics!
Old 02-05-2018, 09:02 PM
Lapis
Burning Brakes

Right now my order is for Black / Dark Silver houndstooth with GT Silver stitching. As far as leather... I'm sticking with black b/c the leather I had my heart set on (Tarpan) is not available.

If I change to the Agate/Geysir houndstooth, what deviated stitching would match best? I think GT Silver is a bit darker than Pebble, so that's likely still the best but would appreciate more opinions. From the picture above, just seems like the grey houndstooth is softer and easier on the eyes.
Love that you’re customizing your order, and no offense intended, but what’s point of paying $3500 extra on a GT3 for stitching in GT Silver or Pebble vs the standard (free) Grey stitching? While I suppose one might be able to see a different if held up side by side, aren’t they similar enough that hardly anyone could notice a difference?

I say, if you’re gonna pay a lot extra for a custom deviated stitching color, it’s only worthwhile if it’s dramatically different than the standard Grey stitching (or optional $1500 red for that matter). For example, yellow, lava orange, acid green, or I suppose one of the beige/browns. Too bad they don’t have any blue stitching colors on offer.
Old 02-05-2018, 09:23 PM
bluehorseshoe
Three Wheelin'

Lapis, it’s for a Touring (but part of me wants to change to just a normal manual GT3 with a wing). I would never pay a penny more if silver was available.

I’m trying to keep this build as classy and didn’t consider yellow or acid green. But who’s to say those are classy. I don’t know, sometimes I think deviated stitching is overrated and just go with black. But I have black now and am bored of it. Chalk, GT Silver and Pebble Grey are all so close. Don’t know why Porsche has to be so redundant. Have those three is sort of useless.

Oh, and here’s a not so hot picture of that third houndstooth.

Old 02-05-2018, 09:38 PM
Lapis
Burning Brakes

Bluehorseshoe, thanks for the pic of the new Houndstooth color. I think that may be the first pic on the internets of it. A bit underwhelming in that it’s more similar to the black/silver than I expected. oh well. I suppose if one were getting graphite or chalk exterior it would make a lot of sense. Or if one were to pic a dark blue leather for the seat side bolsters.

I’m also getting a Touring. I understand what you mean now, since black stitching is standard on it.

If if I may extend my logic a little more.... what’s the point of getting a Touring and paying $3500 extra to get stitching to make it similar to a regular GT3? Either keep the black stitching, which is a unique feature of the Touring, or do something clearly different than most other GT3’s whether Touring or wingey.

if you like silver stitching and like the wing, then by all means, get a wingey and save the $$$$. Even more so if you’d be inlclined to get Touring Package in black (trim) instead of chrome, which again is standard on wingey.

One neurotic detail I noticed today on another thread here is that Touring saves $700 on US gas guzzler tax vs wingey with manual transmission ($1000 v $1700). Who would’ve thunk?
Old 02-06-2018, 12:04 AM
beoliving
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by 0to60
Is that interior trim anthracite ? If so it looks darker than other pics I've seen. Whatever it is, it looks very nice.
the pepita on the top is dark grey silver, the bottom is agate (so a little bit brown). Unfortunately I have no photo of the new one with the blue shade, but it is like the other two ones not bold, it has a nice little blue in it. a friend ordered it.
Old 02-06-2018, 12:05 AM
beoliving
Instructor

Originally Posted by Lapis
Has anyone who has been to Stuttgart yet seen the new houndstooth that is chalk/graphite blue?

Yana told me about it last September but still doesn’t have a sample in Atlanta and says it’s still “in testing” so not yet available to order.

If if anyone has seen it please post pics!
yes, I have seen it, can be ordered now. Nice not bold dark blue touch
Old 02-06-2018, 12:10 AM
beoliving
Instructor

Beoliving! Very jealous. Spent lots of time today trying to figure out exactly what you're pictures depict.

Tell me if I'm wrong but that flat leather sample is Tarpan (which is not obtainable for GT cars), and the top leather with the Black / Dark Silver houndstooth is Expresso?

Wow, the black leather might look better with the Agate Grey / Geysir Grey houndstooth!

I spent the day stressing over the fact that I can't get natural leather Tarpan Brown. The only alternatives are Expresso and Saddle. Expresso seems too dark, and Saddle doesn't have those cool variations like the Tarpan natural. Still haven't made a decision.

Thanks for the great pictures.
oh, good question! not sure what leather they used to show the samples of the different stiching colors. Seeing it in person, I would not do the agate grey pepita with blacl leather. the dark grey is a much bitter fit in my opinion. Espresso is the sample on top as far as I recall.
Old 02-06-2018, 12:13 AM
beoliving
Instructor

Originally Posted by GT3

Which one did you pick?
the dark grey silver one! Need to get a handbag in pepita for wife to keep her happy with all the time I spent on building my dream car...

Quick Reply: houndstooth/pepita factoid