Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Centerlock discoloration

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2018, 01:14 PM
DaveGordon
Pro

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts

I had the same thing, I think after the dealer hand-washed it while there for something else. I complained, as I was worried that replacing them might be the only option, but they were able to clean them up. They look fine now, so there must be some way to do it.
Old 07-04-2018, 05:36 PM
Detailed Designs
Burning Brakes

Received 51 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by FourT6and2
Will do, thanks! I'll give it a try but there really isn't anything on the rotor hats or CL nuts. What you're seeing is chemical etching. There's nothing to "break free" or remove. There's no residue on the parts. It's chemically etched the anodizing. But I will give it a try as there's no harm in it.
If it's 100% etching on there you'll have limited success but it may knock it down too... I don't know. But I do not believe it would make it worse and even if it's a slight improvement, you may be happier?
Old 07-04-2018, 06:55 PM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 606 Likes on 371 Posts

Originally Posted by Detailed Designs
When you replace the centerlocks(if you do it yourself), use a foam applicator pad with some J&J baby shampoo mixed with distilled water and gently massage the most out of sight spot on the rotor hats where there is discoloration. The finish is anodized so you don't want to really use a proper polish but a foam applicator pad will provide you with the slightest abrasion that may allow you to break some of any of the surface build up free. The J&J BS has nothing in it that should not rinse away and will not affect your carbon ceramic rotors.

Let me know how that goes. I've never had to address a situation that you're facing 4t6&2, but if a client ask me to, that would be my first move beyond just washing it.
I used a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser on mine and it did help take the edge off and make the discoloration less noticeable. A bit of wax also makes it disappear until the wax wears off.
Old 07-04-2018, 08:59 PM
neurotic
Rennlist Member

Received 545 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by Mech33

I used a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser on mine and it did help take the edge off and make the discoloration less noticeable. A bit of wax also makes it disappear until the wax wears off.
just be careful.....that's bleach in there
Old 09-19-2018, 12:23 PM
FourT6and2
Drifting

Received 652 Likes on 376 Posts

Had the replacement center locks installed. Tried all the suggestions and a bunch of other things on the old ones and nothing fixed the discoloration. The new ones are on and so far so good. They are holding up fine.
Old 12-28-2018, 07:55 PM
rickster997
Rennlist Member

Received 109 Likes on 52 Posts

Has anyone had them re-finshed / powder coated?
Old 12-28-2018, 10:16 PM
FourT6and2
Drifting

Originally Posted by rickster997
Has anyone had them re-finshed / powder coated?
Not worth the trouble. The center lock nuts are consumables anyway; you're supposed to replace them after a certain number of miles.
Old 12-29-2018, 01:04 AM
TxnBluDvl
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

There’s been mention a few times on this thread re ceramic coating the center locks to provide some protection.

Has anyone actually done it yet? If so, what’s been your experience so far?
Old 04-07-2019, 04:49 PM
dre13
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

hey all, i had had a similar issue after 2 of my first washes - was able to get PNA to cover it and replace the center locks - but after another 2 very careful washes, it happened again (hard water?).

found an olive oil solution mentioned in another post . a light coat works like a charm.

didn't see that mentioned here, so in case people are still struggling with this, want to make sure this solution isn't lost.

was driving me crazy - and such a simple solve.
Old 04-07-2019, 05:43 PM
FourT6and2
Drifting

Originally Posted by dre13
hey all, i had had a similar issue after 2 of my first washes - was able to get PNA to cover it and replace the center locks - but after another 2 very careful washes, it happened again (hard water?).

found an olive oil solution mentioned in another post . a light coat works like a charm.

didn't see that mentioned here, so in case people are still struggling with this, want to make sure this solution isn't lost.

Could be hard water. I use a Simple Chuck filter when I wash my car—zero problems and also no water spots on the paint either!
Old 04-09-2019, 09:59 AM
RDCR
Rennlist Member

Received 481 Likes on 303 Posts

Originally Posted by dre13

What exactly is an "olive oil solution"? Are you using straight olive oil or mixing it with something?

thanks!
Rich
Old 04-09-2019, 10:38 AM
hellboy_mcqueen
Pro

Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D
Agree. I no longer use and of those "Wheel Cleaner" sprays before washing. I have Modesta applied and baked by Detailer and only car shampoo and water on wheels. I believe those sprays have way too many chemicals that are too strong
I am using wheel cleaner from KochChemie on the GT4 with satin platinium wheels for 3 years.
No issues, but I havent tried that on the GT3T yet.
Old 04-09-2019, 12:01 PM
dre13
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

@RDCR straight up extra virgin organic olive oil. poured into a bowl, paper towel dabbed in oil, rubbed onto center lock. wipe off any extra and good to go.

a week later, and 2 drives, still looks perfect.
Old 09-13-2019, 01:34 AM
kage65
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

Bumping this thread. About to get a gt3 out of state , and someone that looked over the car for me informed me that the centerlocks are discolored, albeit not by a huge amount. I’m in the ocd camp and this would bother me.
Thinking I need to push to have them replaced now, but from this thread it seems like it could just happen again with new ones.
Old 09-13-2019, 11:51 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

Kate, I had my CL nuts replaced and now 4,000 miles, 8 months and many washes the nuts still look new. I only use mild car soap and water on them and the rotors.

Quick Reply: Centerlock discoloration