Sponsored by:

Centerlock discoloration

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2018, 07:25 PM
Detailed Designs
Burning Brakes

Received 51 Likes on 26 Posts

In case anyone doesn't understand why a product's pH is important:

Each full increase in the numeral value of pH is a 10X increase in acidity or basicity(also known as an alkaline). So in the case of a product having a pH of, say 9, another product with a pH of 10 is literally 10 times more basic.

For a fun time, think of 7.0-7.5 as neutral, like milk, water or human blood(generally speaking). Each jump is significant and each beyond that is an incredible step away from truly neutral. Can you see why understanding why certain products should or should not be used a certain way on a car, touching your skin or even breathed into lungs? When a chemical becomes so acidic or basic(or is left to contact a surface beyond its intended exposure time), it becomes reactive. When it's reactive, that means it begins to cause significant damage to the molecular structure. Those center locks were exposed to a reactive chemical. With them being wheels, I would guess someone used wheel acid...which are very common in dealership wash bays as they "work" fast. (I can't possibly roll my eyes harder...)

Want to learn more about the products you use on your car? Try to locate a source for the MSDS (Material Safety Data Sheet). Though, MSDS's are becoming harder and harder to located as they're being replaced with SDS(similar acronym) which contain far less information.
Here's an example of a MSDS for Meguiar's Wheel Brightener: http://www.meguiars.com/content/es/msds/D140%20SDS.pdf
Old 05-21-2018, 12:19 AM
FourT6and2
Drifting

Received 652 Likes on 376 Posts

Bumping this thread. My NEW 991.2 GT3 centerlocks looked like this straight from the factory. My car came off the boat, straight to dealer. Dealer did not wash the car. So I know nothing touched the wheels. And they are discolored like the photo in the OP. I guess it's no big deal in the grand scheme of things. But is this permanent or can they be restored? I did wash my car yesterday with just normal soap/water. Rest of the car looks great. But the center locks are definitely all sorts of messed up.
Old 05-21-2018, 01:35 AM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 606 Likes on 371 Posts

Originally Posted by FourT6and2
Bumping this thread. My NEW 991.2 GT3 centerlocks looked like this straight from the factory. My car came off the boat, straight to dealer. Dealer did not wash the car. So I know nothing touched the wheels. And they are discolored like the photo in the OP. I guess it's no big deal in the grand scheme of things. But is this permanent or can they be restored? I did wash my car yesterday with just normal soap/water. Rest of the car looks great. But the center locks are definitely all sorts of messed up.
Mine was the same way as far as I can tell... I’ve never washed it and the rear CLs look discolored like this.
Old 05-21-2018, 02:02 AM
FourT6and2
Drifting

Originally Posted by Mech33

Mine was the same way as far as I can tell... I’ve never washed it and the rear CLs look discolored like this.
So weird. I've seen plenty of .1 GT3s that are years old at dealerships, along with .1 RS cars, and .2 GT3s. And none of them had discoloration on the centerlocks. So why is it happening to cars right from the factory, I wonder.
Old 05-21-2018, 02:06 AM
cayenne-tt
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

So weird. I've seen plenty of .1 GT3s that are years old at dealerships, along with .1 RS cars, and .2 GT3s. And none of them had discoloration on the centerlocks. So why is it happening to cars right from the factory, I wonder.
mine had this problem after the dealership washed my car. They took care of it by replacing them. they said they have a few customers having this problem and recommend only using water to clean.

I was was thinking to do ceramic coating on the wheels and the caps. Has anyone done it? Does it help prevent this discoloration?
Old 05-21-2018, 02:25 AM
BLACKMAMBA
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I’ve had my wheels, centre locks and brake calipers ceramic coated and so far no issues. My detailer warmed against this issue so I thought better to take the precaution.

Daft you even have to think about it though, should be finished more suitably by Porsche.
Old 05-21-2018, 12:07 PM
Earlierapex
Three Wheelin'

Received 119 Likes on 57 Posts

"black again" and similar products for black exterior trim pieces work pretty well for me.
Old 05-21-2018, 09:20 PM
FourT6and2
Drifting

For the hell of it, I stopped by a local Porsche dealer since I was in the area. Keep in mind, I did not buy my car from this dealer. But the service manager took a look and said, "It's normal. Happens to every Porsche." I said, really? My car has less than 300 miles. I've never touched the wheels with any products. And people online are saying they got theirs replaced under warranty. He quite literally laughed and said there was nothing he could do. The discoloration doesn't really bother me to the point of wanting to make a fuss about it. But it's a bit disappointing when I see GT3/RS that are 4-5 years old and their centerlock nuts are still factory fresh lol.
Old 05-21-2018, 09:25 PM
neurotic
Rennlist Member

Received 545 Likes on 261 Posts

For the hell of it, I stopped by a local Porsche dealer since I was in the area. Keep in mind, I did not buy my car from this dealer. But the service manager took a look and said, "It's normal. Happens to every Porsche." I said, really? My car has less than 300 miles. I've never touched the wheels with any products. And people online are saying they got theirs replaced under warranty. He quite literally laughed and said there was nothing he could do. The discoloration doesn't really bother me to the point of wanting to make a fuss about it. But it's a bit disappointing when I see GT3/RS that are 4-5 years old and their centerlock nuts are still factory fresh lol.
ya hard water and cleaners might have a role but my 4 year old CL on my .1GTS are still factory fresh (knock on wood). I’ve used DI water, ammo NYC products, and Adam’s cleaners since day one for what it’s worth. Plan the same strategy on incoming GT3. Will see.....
Old 05-21-2018, 09:29 PM
FourT6and2
Drifting

Originally Posted by neurotic

ya hard water and cleaners might have a role but my 4 year old CL on my .1GTS are still factory fresh (knock on wood). I’ve used DI water, ammo NYC products, and Adam’s cleaners since day one for what it’s worth. Plan the same strategy on incoming GT3. Will see.....
Well that's the thing... my car literally got dropped off from my dealer three days ago, direct from the boat from Germany. So it's not like anything's touched the wheels. *shrug*

Old 05-22-2018, 12:14 AM
Todd B

Rennlist Member

Received 433 Likes on 325 Posts

Well that's the thing... my car literally got dropped off from my dealer three days ago, direct from the boat from Germany. So it's not like anything's touched the wheels. *shrug*
The wheels get covered up at the factory when shipping the car. Did your car show up with all the shipping protectors in place? That sure does look like the center locks were sprayed with a cleaner. But either way, I'm sure your dealer is replacing them so why stress about it.
The following users liked this post:
Macduc (09-13-2019)
Old 05-22-2018, 12:54 AM
8enny8lack
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mine were like that from new also. Im not stressed- im sure it was salty over in Germany or something. I want the old style anodized ones anyway- blue on one side, red on the other.

My car is almost always covered in bugs and grit, so I try not to freak out. I am not entering any car shows tho...
Old 05-22-2018, 12:59 AM
FourT6and2
Drifting

Originally Posted by Todd B
The wheels get covered up at the factory when shipping the car. Did your car show up with all the shipping protectors in place? That sure does look like the center locks were sprayed with a cleaner. But either way, I'm sure your dealer is replacing them so why stress about it.
No, the dealer is not replacing them. They shrugged and said tough noogies. But that wasn't the dealer I bought the car from. The dealer of purchase is out of state. Not sure if I should call them and discuss or what. What's the etiquette on this type of thing?

Yes, the car showed up with all the wrappers and plastic on.
Old 05-22-2018, 03:03 AM
8enny8lack
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Damn, and $580/ a set to replace!!!
Old 05-22-2018, 02:05 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

The CL bolt in the pic below is representative of those on my almost 4 1/2 year old 991.1 GT3, so the service manager you spoke to is definitely wrong; discoloration doesn't happen to every CL equipped Porsche. IMHO, discoloration on a brand new wheel is totally unacceptable and is an indication that something in the way they were handled, either in transport or at the delivering dealer, was improper. I guarantee they weren't discolored when they came off the assembly line. Hope you can get a resolution.

Last edited by Mike in CA; 05-22-2018 at 02:37 PM. Reason: typo

Quick Reply: Centerlock discoloration