Sponsored by:

No Extended Range Fuel Tank - actual experience

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2018, 01:34 PM
wmond
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts
Default No Extended Range Fuel Tank - actual experience

Friends, Countrymen, I am in desperate need of advice, based on real life actual experience. I have done my forum searches and read all there is to read here on the extended range tank, which we all agree is well worth the few dollars it costs to spec it. And I do understand that the difference between the small and large tank means I can drive further without having to fill it up.

What I am hoping to hear, please, from anyone with the smaller tank, is how much of a PITA is it to have the small tank. My use case is probably 2 DE weekends per year (5 days) until I can sell my children, and the rest on public roads, daily driver, etc.

So, for anyone with a small gas tank (no double entendre), no judgement (think of this as a safe place to share your feelings), how bad is it really? I expect that any issues will only be at track days, but wanted to know for sure. I'm asking "for a friend"....
Old 02-02-2018, 01:50 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,721 Likes on 2,691 Posts

I think it all depends on where and how you drive the car. As long as you expect to drive within the smaller tank's range of fueling stations, it's just slightly more inconvenient to fill up more frequently.

In my case, the extended tank has been a real bonus.

For example: I really hate to put fuel in the GT3 that contains Ethanol. There is only one station in town that sells Ethanol-free fuel. The extended tank allows me to fuel up there, drive 60 miles to the track, do some laps, and still get home without having to fuel at the track with $9/gallon race fuel. With the standard tank, I'd either have to be willing to add Ethanol-laced fuel or pay the big bucks...
Old 02-02-2018, 01:51 PM
midwestamv8
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I came from a 981 GTS to my 991.2 GT3 w/ extended range fuel tank, and it's been AMAZING so far. Before, when I'd fill uo my Boxster, I'd be lucky if the display said I had 300 miles on the car. Not horrible you say? It's only 150 miles to a half tank... and then if you're leaving on a longer trip with people you'd better be filling up right before you leave. If you think about it, when was the last time you let your tank go to Empty or even 1/4 tank? So really, that 300 miles becomes 250 before you're freaking out very quickly, at least out here in Colorado where a gas station might be 15 miles away.

In the GT3, I put ~350 miles on it from the dealer filled tank before I filled up and the display still said I had 130 miles to go, or about 1/4 tank. Weirdly, after fill-up it only said I have ~340 miles, but it said about the same when I left the dealer on a full tank (and got 350 miles before I had 130 left), so I think they just don't update the gauge / mileage estimate for cars with the extended tank vs the small one? What I can tell you I'm really enjoying the larger tank so far and I'd 100% spec it again. However, I use my car exclusively on the street and tend to take longer drives more frequently... so the extra range really helps in that case. Can't really comment on the extra range if all you're doing is DE events.
Old 02-02-2018, 01:51 PM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 719 Likes on 394 Posts

Well, even the 'extended range' fuel tank will only last 2 (maybe 3) 20-30 minute track sessions.
Old 02-02-2018, 01:54 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dr.Bill
Well, even the 'extended range' fuel tank will only last 2 (maybe 3) 20-30 minute track sessions.
No, it will last longer than that. 90L is about 24 gallons (hard to burn that in an hour).

If you average 75mph at the track, that means you would only run the tank dry in an hour if you were getting 3 mpg...
Old 02-02-2018, 01:55 PM
shamoo
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have the extended tank and I'm also a new Porsche/GT3 owner so here's some of my limited knowledge.

I'm glad I have the extended tank because even with normal non-aggressive driving, you can't get too far. I think I have 500 miles on it now and I already filled up twice (on my 2nd tank now). It gets way less mileage than I thought it would. Of course when you fill it up, it says you have 350+ miles left, but when you actually start driving, it is significantly less. At least that's what I've seen.

Based on that, I think it would be wise to get the extended tank if you have the choice. Again, it really depends on the driving you do. I'm not a hardcore track guy and this car might see the track less than 5 times over its lifetime (we'll see).
Old 02-02-2018, 01:56 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

On track its a giant PITA because you must refuel every session.
Old 02-02-2018, 01:58 PM
Riz
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

It is not a PITA having the standard tank, probably better for the track. Besides being a little lighter, I was told fuel level is higher in the tank so fuel pickup better under high lateral G loads especially as fuel level goes down. The bigger tank better if you have to drive far to get to the track and obviously more fill ups if many track sessions. I'm sure some more track experienced guys will comment.
Old 02-02-2018, 02:05 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by shamoo
Of course when you fill it up, it says you have 350+ miles left, but when you actually start driving, it is significantly less. At least that's what I've seen.
The 350 mile range the computer gives is based on the smaller tank. It doesn't take into account the larger tank (the needle doesn't start to move until you use more than the extra volume of the extended tank - it is calibrated the same for both tanks).

You should be able to get more than 350 miles on the street, unless you are really driving very aggressively. Try letting the tank get near empty and see if this isn't true. If you were really getting less than 350 miles range on the road, then you're getting less than 14 mpg (which should only happen at the track, Autobahn, L.A. traffic, or very aggressive mountain driving).

If you drive on the highway in top gear at 80 mph, I think it's possible to get in the 20's mpg...

Last edited by GrantG; 02-02-2018 at 02:21 PM.
Old 02-02-2018, 02:08 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Riz
It is not a PITA having the standard tank, probably better for the track. Besides being a little lighter, I was told fuel level is higher in the tank so fuel pickup better under high lateral G loads especially as fuel level goes down. The bigger tank better if you have to drive far to get to the track and obviously more fill ups if many track sessions. I'm sure some more track experienced guys will comment.
Pretty sure the bottom of the tank (where the pick-up is located) is no wider on the extended tank, so no reason not to get extended tank. The regular tank only exists to lower the car's weight specification which requires the tank to be 90% full.
Old 02-02-2018, 02:13 PM
disden
Drifting

Received 956 Likes on 427 Posts

If you intend to aggressively track it, then it is an absolute must. depending on the track, even with the extended range tank I typically run out by end of day. If not, then I wouldn't worry about it - wouldn't be a deal breaker.
Old 02-02-2018, 02:22 PM
signes
Rennlist Member

Received 619 Likes on 407 Posts

Why wouldn't you get it? No reason not to. I just wish they would calibrate it for the larger tank.
Old 02-02-2018, 02:24 PM
shamoo
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by GrantG

The 350 mile range the computer gives is based on the smaller tank. It doesn't take into account the larger tank (the needle doesn't start to move until you use more than the extra volume of the extended tank - it is calibrated the same for both tanks).

You should be able to get more than 350 miles on the street, unless you are really driving very aggressively. Try letting the tank get near empty and see if this isn't true. If you were really getting less than 350 miles range on the road, then you're getting less than 14 mpg (which should only happen at the track, Autobahn, L.A. traffic, or very aggressive mountain driving).

If you drive on the highway in top gear at 80 mph, I think it's possible to get in the 20's mpg...
Interesting. Good to know. Thanks! I'll check it carefully next time.
Old 02-02-2018, 02:26 PM
wmond
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by signes
Why wouldn't you get it? No reason not to. I just wish they would calibrate it for the larger tank.
Let's pretend that my friend doesn't have a choice whether to have it. Think about it as whether this would be a reason to not buy a car, if it had the small gas tank...
Old 02-02-2018, 02:30 PM
Wild Weasel
Drifting

Received 294 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by midwestamv8
I came from a 981 GTS to my 991.2 GT3 w/ extended range fuel tank
Neat!! I'm making the same move. Do you miss the GTS at all?

Originally Posted by signes
I'm assuming he doesn't have a choice and the car is already spec'd with the small tank.

Quick Reply: No Extended Range Fuel Tank - actual experience